Cena Region, Philadelphia Subregion, Second Round:(1) John Cena vs. (16)N. Bockwinkel

Who Wins This Match?

• John Cena

• Nick Bockwinkel

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the Cena Region, Philadelphia Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Wells_Fargo_Center-sq_400x400.jpg

scaletowidth

#1. John Cena

Vs.

15.jpg

#16. Nick Bockwinkel

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Bockwinkel is generally under appreciated by our generation - he was a great mic worker ahead of his time in so many ways, but I don't think he's in the league of John Cena. Cena has remained relevant and a monster draw despite being on television every week for 10 years, and nobody else, not Bockwinkel, not The Rock, not Hulk Hogan has achieved that.

Brilliant match. Bockwinkel is a man who would have a great contest with Cena. Cena would be more imaginative and pull off a few maneuvers for the little marks in the audience. Lotsa close calls, false finishes but the AA to Nick and 1 2 3.

Bockwinkel normally goes out early to a wrestler far underneath his caliber. Not the case here. Though this could have been a far more interesting match with the gimmick stipulation, if Bockwinkel had been seeded like he was the past few years.

Both men have charisma. Endless amounts. Both men knew how to talk and connect to their audiences. Both men are highly decorated and have held numerous championships. But I think Cena has the edge for one reason...

His appeal.

Bockwinkel was probably the better drawing card, but what modern wrestlers lack in the ability to draw massive attendance figures they make up for in mass marketing appeal. John Cena is special because he's had mass marketing appeal for the last decade while many of his contemporaries have only been good for a few years here and there. John Cena has been a staple of WWE's marketing and the guy brings in millions on his own. That type of appeal can't be ignored.

There's also the argument that could be made that Cena is more dominant, but he does put over a hell of a lot more people than he really should. And ultimately he works less matches a year than Bockwinkel would have in his prime. So I'm going to let his appeal be the key factor in why Cena should go over.

Vote Cena.

When even Ech says to vote for the more recent guy, you know something's up.

I recall something KB had said, maybe the first year I was here for a tournament, when Bockwinkel was in the WWE Region. KB said something about "Vince should name a wing in the Hall for Bockwinkel". Well, Vince will name a wing in the Hall for Cena. He's been at the top, consistently, for too fucking long to remember. I'm not saying all his matches have been great, but even for the amount of booing he gets, he goes out and does his job and puts asses in seats, and that's what it's all about.

John Cena's career highlights has proved why he was handpicked by Vince McMahon to take the company in his back for the last 10 years. It's not an easy feat to become a 15 time world champion and carry the entire company on shoulders for a decade. Honestly speaking, had the title or not, John Cena is a main eventer in all universes. Even when he won the US championship last year, he brought it up to the level that it is a Major title in WWE. Vote Cena!

Every year I try to push Bockwinkel as far as I can in this tournament. I know he'll never win but I would love to see him get to the elite eight. This year I have to vote against him in the second round because of Bockwinkel's ridiculously low seed. I wonder where Bockwinkel would have ended up if I did not submit a list since he was #10 on mine and ended up #61 in the tournament. Unfortunately he's up against #3 on my list so the guy who always goes out too early goes out even earlier than usual.

I'm sure this doesn't make much difference, but here goes:

John Cena has been compared to Hulk Hogan numerous times. They have similar characters. Both All-American. Both appeal to children. Both good guys who do the right thing, and stand up for what's right. Both incredibly dominant over the WWE for extreme lengths of time.

However, Cena has probably been 'Hogan-lite'. He's invaded pop culture, but not to the level that Hogan did. He's been dominant, but not as dominant as Hogan was.

Fair estimation of Cena, no?

Well then, you have to keep one thing in mind when making your decision here. Before Hogan became Hogan. Before Hulkamania really ran wild, he first had to get away from one man. The one man that he couldn't defeat. The one man that outsmarted him every step of the way.

That man was Nick Bockwinkel.

Here's how it would go.

Cena would be dominant. He'd have Bockwinkel on the defensive for most of the match. But the entire time that Cena was asserting his will over Bock, Bock would in turn be frustrating Cena with his defense. With the cheap shots every time that Heenan got the referee's back turned for even a second. He'd be wearing him down, and taking him off of his game plan.

Late in the match, Bock would position himself in a way that when Cena went to hit him, he'd move and Cena would take out the referee. Cena would then get Bock up for the "Attitude Adjustment", as a second referee came into the ring. One-two-three seconds later, and Cena would win... or so it would seem.

The first referee would come to and overrule the decision, disqualifying Cena for hitting an official. Protests would be made. Fans would be in an uproar. And Nick Bockwinkel would roll out of the ring, and raise his arm in victory as he made his way to the back.

Because that's how the man they called "Tricky Nicky" did it.

If he could do it time and again against Hogan... he'd be able to do it to Hogan-lite too.

Bockwinkel was very good in every matter.

But John Cena is just a way higher opponent for him. He has a region named after him in this tournament thus showing the level of impact of Cena.

Bockwinkel was good but Cena is great.

So Lets Go Cena!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo