Can we talk about something crazy?

Discussion in 'Wrestlemania XXXIII' started by Monster Amongst Men, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Dave

Dave Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Why the hell is Big Show and Shaq being worried into everyone's predicted WrestleMania card? And, more importantly, who wants to actually see this match?

Listen, I get it Shaq is a big name in the world of sports and for the casual fan, this match might do something for them. But are we to honestly believe that this match is going to give the WWE a boost in buys for Mania? I know the seeds for this match have been sown throughout the course of the last two years or so but there's no way that this match should be close to appearing on a Wrestlemania card. Especially given that some of the full time talents won't make the show. Are we expecting Shaq to actually wrestle a match? It's going to be a sideshow and the WWE should be lambasted for it accordingly.

This year's Mania has a tonne of potential, given that everyone seems to be staying healthy and that the talent pool seems much deeper than it was last year certainly. But doing shit like this doesn't make any sense, nor does it excite anyone other than Vince McMahon. Any other PPV and I think I'd be okay with this. But the fact remains that multiple good wrestlers won't make Mania this year because fucking Shaq will be having a Mania match.

Is this crazy to anyone else?

2. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

This is how WWE works. If they see the SLIGHTEST hint at mainstream publicity, they're going to jump on it as fast as they can. Ignore the fact that Shaq will appear on ANYTHING and hasn't been a top level star in years of course because this could get them coverage on SportsCenter for all of thirty seconds. I don't get the appeal of the match either but hopefully it only runs about fifteen minutes counting entrances and the actual match. I don't want to see the match but there must be a celebrity at every Wrestlemania so this is what we're getting.

3. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

Shaq vs. Big Show was something that's been seriously planned for nearly a year, there's been talk about it for longer than that but the plan of actually getting it to happen started almost just after WrestleMania ended last year.

Vince enjoys spectacle at WrestleMania; sometimes that spectacle involves some sort of incredible entrances, celebrity participation or a combination of both. Vince knows that Shaq wrestling at WrestleMania will only increase mainstream media coverage and Vince is all about mainstream media coverage to a detriment sometimes. This is Vince putting more of an emphasis on the entertainment aspect rather than the sports aspect of "sports entertainment." Will it increase ppv buys and network subscriptions? To some degree, I think so because regardless of whether or not it's a trainwreck, there are people that'll be attracted to the novelty of Shaq wrestling at WrestleMania.

When it's all said & done however, even if it doesn't draw a time in terms of increased WrestleMania viewership, this match will be part of the show if and only if Vince McMahon personally wants to see it. I think that's what will rile and does rile people up more than anything is that if Vince wants to see this and Shaq wants to do it, then it'll be on the card even if fans leave no doubt they're not interested. Sometimes, we all know that Vince wants WWE to cater to him, to what he finds entertaining even if it's something that 95% of the fans wouldn't give two shits about. That's not to say that he isn't right sometimes, but sometimes he isn't and a lot of this stems from Vince having this pathological need to micromanage and control everything in his world. For instance, we all know there are times in which fans are into some wrestlers and wand them to see pushed but Vince hasn't pushed them because he doesn't see those wrestlers as having "it" in his eyes; that pisses people off, fans and wrestling insiders alike, because many are of the opinion that it's supposed to be about what the audience likes even if someone doesn't meet with all of Vince's standards, some of which seem petty and shallow.

4. LBGetBack

LBGetBack Championship Contender

A typical WWE move. Just like when they did Lawrence Taylor vs. Bam Bam Bigelow. Taylor had been retired from football for a couple years and was 4-5 years past being a major star. Shaq had been retired for longer and is a solid decade past being a major basketball star. This is a guy who was at his peak in the 90s and early 00s. Funny guy, charismatic in front of the cameras and all....but cmon.

And Big Show isn't even a main guy anymore! Hasn't been for years! It's a waste of a spot, a slap in the face to those who won't make the card, and honestly shows how out of touch Vince is if he thinks that match will sell. Maybe in 2003 it would've gotten major attention. Not now.

5. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Super Moderator

I normally hate celebrity matches. I support getting mainstream publicity attention. That's fine. You want to advertise and promote the WWE especially at the biggest show of the year. What I typically HATE is seeing the celebrities wrestle. They are better off managing a wrestler for a match in most cases. Shaq is one of the VERY few cases where I would be fine with him working a match. He's a fan of the product so he'd actually WANT to be there plus he's huge so he would be believable against Big Show. Which brings me to the second part of the problem. The Big Show. Name me ANY match that he could actually entertain in at this point. Fans have been chanting "PLEASE RETIRE" at him for the last couple of years because quite frankly we are sick of him. Big Show VS Shaq is literally the only Big Show match left that I would ever want to see. Back when they had the abysmal Guest Host angle, Shaq was one of the few good ones. He had a staredown with Big Show and this match has been looked at as a possibility ever since. That was 8 years ago. So if the match gets WWE publicity, keeps Big Show occupied, and brings closure to an idea nearly a decade old.... I say they should go ahead with it. Worst case scenario treat it as a chance to head to the fridge for a snack.

6. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

Yes. Shaq is a proven draw. He is many years out of basketball and he seems to be a part of more celebrity endorsements than anyone. He also gets a lot of media attention. He is a fixture on TNT.

But mostly from a WWE perspective, Shaq will help with the gate. He started his professional basketball career in Orlando and he is still remembered and viewed as both a hero and a villain. I'm sure there are many Orlando Magic fans that want to see him kick (or get kicked in the) ass.

Personally I am happy to see it but it isn't that important to me. It's probably 15 minutes out of a six hour show. I can wait for the following 205 Live to see how the Cedric Alexander/Noam Dar feud culminates. I watch Mania for something special and different. God forbid Natayla and Nikki get there match time cut in half. Bring on Shaq and throw Penny Hardaway in on his corner.

7. Starkist

Starkist (To Rip) The Heart From Your Hate

It would be cool if Shaq came out as Kazaam and beat Big Show faster than Goldberg beat Leasner. It would get them off the TV faster that way. All jokes aside, these types of matches take the spot of wrestlers that could shine during Wrestlemaina. Give the spot to people who are going to be on the preshow and put Shaq and Big show in that place. Not really interested in the match itself but I will watch it if it takes place.

Dagger Dias likes this.
  8. Papa Pillman

Papa Pillman I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan

As long as Vince is alive, expect matches like this to show up at WrestleMania anytime he can make them come to fruition. Plus this is also Mania shtick for Big Show too, after matches against a sumo wrestler and a boxer. Par for the course.

9. LBGetBack

LBGetBack Championship Contender

Nikki and Natalya are quality performers who deserve the match time much more.

10. johnbragg

johnbragg Championship Contender

Special Attraction matches like this are part of the reason that WrestleMania is such a huge portion of the WWE's business model. Mania is something like 20-25% of WWE's revenue.

That's why you have celebrity matches, that's why you have part-timers returning from previous decades, to boost that buyrate and add to the spectacle. The circus needs clowns, the circus needs elephants, the circus needs acrobats.

How many years ago was Big Show-Akebono? This is the same sort of thing.

I'm putting my dollar on WWE having Shaq and Show re-enact Hogan bodyslamming Andre, with Shaq in the role of Hogan.

11. johnbragg

johnbragg Championship Contender

"Deserve ain't got nothin' to do with it."

If Shaq fought Paul Wight in a nightclub, it's national news.

If Nikki and NAtalya brawled in a nightclub, it's a local police blotter item outside of wrestling fansites.

12. OYDK

OYDK King Of The Ring

At least this wasn't thrown together last minute. Pretty sure this was something that was booked like, the day after last year's Mania so we had time to prepare for the fact that this was going to happen. Understandably, a lot of wrestling fans hate when celebrities participate in matches and take spots from "deserving" wrestlers but this is really what Mania is about. It's not necessarily a wrestling show, it's an entertainment spectacle and it has been ever since its inception 33 years ago. The stars don't necessarily have to be A-list (although it can be argued that Shaq is pretty well-known worldwide), they just have to be somebody who the WWE feels can drum up buys and reel in the crowds that otherwise would never watch a wrestling show.

From a fan perspective, yeah it kind of sucks, but, and I usually hate when people say this but it's true in this case, this isn't a match for us. This isn't even necessarily a match for wrestling fans. It's all a part of the larger picture of making Wrestlemania seem bigger than just a wrestling event and celebrity involvement is key in making that happen. Like I said, this is something that Wrestlemania has always been about. Personally, I won't mind as long as they book this for what it is... a fun encounter between a giant from the wrestling world and a giant from the mainstream world. This shouldn't, and likely won't, be booked as a straightforward wrestling match. Give me a stare-down followed by a 7-10 minute scuffle, some crowd participation, and a memorable moment thrown in and I'll be happy.

13. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

Tell me more about how much you love Nikki and Natalya. What are some of their best matches? Please link me to all your posts praising their work and craving to see them on the grandest stage? How much money do you expect their match to draw? How quickly are you going to cancel your subscription to the WWE Network if they are left off the card?

Exactly.

Then again, Shaq and Show deserve it more because they bring more eyes, attention and money to the event.

14. FromGlasgow

FromGlasgow Championship Contender

I'm happy to watch that match at Wrestlemania if it gets booked, Wrestlemania doesn't have to be filled with constant 5 star fast paced style matches, Everyone knows it wont be match of the year or anything but its a bit of variety and break in the card from the proper matches, Their talking about Wrestlemania including the pre show lasting like 7 or 8 hours so theres no real shortage of time for it. Wrestlemania has always had celebrities involved in some way throughout the years.

15. Spidercanrana

Spidercanrana Should've Reinstated The Fox
    Staff Member Moderator E-Fed Mod

It's good to have a filler match, even at Wrestlemania. That and Big Show's legacy is probably going to be known more for scrapping with sports athletes than his world title reigns. This isn't all that bad. Novelties are novelties and we don't get them all that often. Shaq loves WWE, so it's not even like it's just a promotional waste of space. Can be fun. Parents can tap on their kids' shoulders and tell them about how great Shaq is. Bonding moments.

16. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

Who cares? The women stopped being the bathroom break, so we need a new one. Enter Shaq vs Big Show. I say add Cass and Strowman in there and make it Cass and Shaq (w/ Enzo) vs Big Show and Strowman. There's something about giants facing each other that intrigues the inner child inside of me.

17. Messiah

Messiah WWE Champion

Too bad for them it's not about who deserves it the most, it's about drawing the most money.. It's a business, Shaq will draw a lot more, end of story.

18. Navi

Navi With the safety off!!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the seeds for this match get sown at last year's Mania. If memory serves, wasn't Shaq an entrant in the ATGMBR and didn't he and Show get eliminated at the same time by everyone else. The whole time Shaq was in the ring he and Big Show had a staredown contest.

Will have to go back and re-watch it but I think the fans enjoyed it, having someone bigger than Show in the ring isn't something you see everyday.

I was fine with Shaq in a Battle Royal but don't really care to see a match between these two take up any longer than 10 minutes including entrances. It should be a fun time for the fans in Orlando and if it takes Show out of the Battle Royal, that's always a good thing. The commentators go on endlessly about who is going to be able to get him over the ropes.

19. Kizzani

Kizzani Getting Noticed By Management

Most wrestle mania matches are planned what about 2 months out involving some good stars.

Now giving The Big Show and Shaquilla O'Neil two year to prepare a decent 15 min match for Nostalgia fans, while meeting their quota for having a celebrity at Mania, so be it.

I actually have faith these two performers can make something good in two years.

20. Radical

Radical Championship Contender

Umm ... people who think this match is crazy ... are you completely unfamiliar with the guy who runs WWE?

His name is Vince McMahon and he NOTORIOUSLY includes celebrities in WrestleMania if he thinks it will help get more mainstream media attention.

I can't believe anyone who was watched the product for any length of time would be surprised seeing a match like this.

Hey, I wasn't LEAST bit interested in that past WrestleMania match that had Snookie in it. I honestly don't know what WrestleMania it was, I just know it happened, the match was pretty terrible but I'm sure before that WrestleMania it help gain more mainstream media attention.

People should remember, to Vince, WWE will always be Sports ENTERTAINMENT and it will never be a "pure wrestling" show. Whatever that is anyways.

And honestly, if you are sitting here reading this then I'm sure you could say that "I'd much rather see Neville vs Rich Swann get 15 mins on WM instead of being cut or pushed to the pre-show" because you presumably are more interested in wrestling than spectacle and mainstream interests.

But ask a friend (or ask a stranger, for that matter) who really doesn't follow WWE, maybe someone who still calls it WWF all these years later, if they would be MORE interested in seeing match between Neville vs Rich Swann or Shaquille O'Neal vs The Big Show. Most likely they'll have no idea who Neville or Rich Swann are even if you try to explain they are athletic, fast, high-flying, skilled wrestlers and they will tend to acknowledge even as a joke that it would be more interesting to see Shaq well past his basketball days take on some guy called The Big Show.

Plus, probably any WrestleMania you mention either had some sort of celebrity segment or, if it didn't, then it had a 'wrestling' segment that was either way too drawn out to be worth it, even for wrestling fans, or it was just pointless.

It'll be a lot easier going forward if everyone just becomes comfortable with the expectation that there is GOING TO BE at least one segment in all of WrestleMania that YOU, your precious self, are not going to enjoy and may think is "stupid!" even if others are enjoying it. Even if a BIG NAME is involved. You may not like it, but someone else does.

Think of it this way, since every WrestleMania is going to have at least one "absurd" segment. If THIS match between Big Show and Shaq is the most absurd segment in the whole show ... that'll mean the rest of the show is pretty damn good!

But I'd wager that Big Show vs Shaq will not be the worst segment on the show.

21. roipdh123

roipdh123 Getting Noticed By Management

I would actually like to see Shaq and Big Show face off against Braun Strowman and Baron Corbin (of course that is if WWE are not planning on having Strowman in the Universal\US title scene or Corbin in the IC title scene).

Have Strowman pin Shaq after a hard fought match, with the faces getting reveange after the match.

Other option is just to have Strowman vs Shaq one on one. That would be huge.

22. S.J. Maximus

S.J. Maximus Championship Contender

I wanted to make a post but I see Dagger Dias has pretty much hit the nail on the head, there's not much more that needs to be said. Shaq is a literally huge Hall of Fame athlete who has been entertaining this country since I was born. Big Show is also a literally huge Hall of Fame athlete who has work for 20+ years, I have absolutely no complaint with this match and am actually looking forward to seeing whatever sequence they come up with.

Dagger Dias likes this.
  23. WorstWrestlingExcrement

WorstWrestlingExcrement Getting Noticed By Management

I have no interest to see a celebrity wrestle Big Slow who is not a main eventer neither is Shaq. A typical WWE move. Just like when they did Lawrence Taylor vs. Bam Bam Bigelow. Taylor had been retired from football for a couple years and was 4-5 years past being a major star. Shaq had been retired for longer and is a solid decade past being a major basketball star. His peak came in the 90s and early 00s. It won't draw it would be long forgotten as Lawrence Taylor now is.
    I recall WCW did it and it failed miserably with Dennis Rodman and Hollywood Hulk Hogan vs DDP and Karl Malone which failed miserably!
    This will be a failure no one wants to watch it will be a simple bathroom break for me at the bar when they show it on satellite!

24. Vanilla Midget

Vanilla Midget Registered Suplex Offender

Because Big Show challenged Shaq to the match nearly a year ago and Show and Shaq have been teasing it on Twitter ever since.

I don't have much to say that hasn't been said other than this match seems to have motivated Paul Wight to lean out and get into aggressively good shape. I don't care about the please retire, the more heels turns than a runway model, or how awful most of his career was, he's a human being who will hopefully greatly increase his life span by getting into this amazing shape. Show has been overweight for years.

There's bound to be a celebrity match at Mania, they have often involved the Big Show (vs Akebono, vs Mayweather) and they have generally been about as crappy as that time they showered Show with a septic tank on national television.

This match is basically confirmed, so if it's not on your WrestleMania card projections then you're not paying enough attention. Big Show's booking has been very, very sh*t over the years, but he's still a human being. This match may be a piss break, but at least the prospect of it has motivated Paul Wight to take care of his health.

25. Rainbow Yaz

Rainbow Yaz Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
    E-Fed Mod

Yeah man, Show has been getting in crazy good shape. I follow him on Facebook because I've always been a fan, and dude is sporting a six pack. Who is 7ft tall and rocks a sixer? Big Show, that's who.

This is likely Show's last ride, and it almost seems fitting that he would go down swinging against a celebrity opponent. I remember during his IC title feud against Cody Rhodes a few years back, Cody ragged on him hard about losing all those Mania matches. It was nice to see Show get the win that year. Plus it spawned COdy referring to taking a shit as taking a Big Show, so that was fun.

All in all, if this is Show's last ride, I wish him the best and hope he maintains this newfound healthy lifestyle.