Can Bray vs Orton really main event Wrestlemania?

Discussion in 'Wrestlemania XXXIII' started by Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D., Jan 30, 2017.

1. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

Orton won the Royal Rumble and WWE have been spamming that the winner gets, sometimes "a main event match at Wrestlemania", some other times "the main event match at Wrestlemania".

Now, Cena vs Orton is not happening, hell no. So we're in for Bray vs Orton, Styles vs Orton or a fatal-4-way between them.

Also I doubt that the Universal Championship match will be anything else other than KO vs Jericho at the moment..

Also Vince doesn't really want multiman matches for the world title, only if there's a good enough reason to do so, so as of now, it's either gonna be Styles vs Orton or Wyatt vs Orton for the WWE Championship.

The other matches will most likely be:
    Reigns vs Undertaker
    Goldberg vs Lesnar
    Rollins vs Triple H
    Owens vs Jericho
    John Cena match
    AJ Styles match (it could end up being Cena vs Styles, who knows).

Nothing against Orton, but he's not that big of a draw on his own. I don't really think that in a card like this, Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton can main event Wrestlemania..

Also looking at how weak Jericho looked in the Rumble, I'm starting to feel that Owens vs Jericho will also be not strong enough for the main event spot.. Unless of course a U-turn happens and Owens/Jericho go from comedy gold to the most personal and serious feud on TV.

So, that leaves the world titles in a really bad situation. Of course I might be jumping into conclusions here, but atm I think the writting's on the wall.

2. Kodo Sawaki

Kodo Sawaki Championship Contender

Main event no. Even if it happens it would be maybe 5th match by importance on the card. You would have Goldberg and Lesnar, Undertaker and Reigns, Cena and his match if he wasnt there for title and Rollins and HHH and even KO, Jericho and maybe Balor if he ever returns. Even Styles vs Shane if happens would have more importance then Orton vs Bray. If it main events they would throw Cena there. No doubt about that.

3. The Life Of Pablo Ren

The Life Of Pablo Ren I know my name/avi/sig don't match.

It won't main event WrestleMania. That'll probably be Goldberg vs. Lesnar (which makes me want to kill myself). WWE considers like the top 7 WrestleMania matches to be "main events". This won't be the first WrestleMania where the title's have been overshadowed by bigger matches.

I'm beyond happy with getting Orton vs. Wyatt for the title, I've loved the storyline, am intrigued to see where it goes but most of all I'm happy because it beefs up Smackdown's side of the card a bit. Orton/Wyatt without the title would be like the 7th or 8th biggest match on the card. With most of the bigger matches being on RAW's side. Putting the title into this feud instantly makes it feel more important and I have confidence the Smackdown writers will make it feel even more important and not just another Del Rio/Swagger. Is it the biggest money match? No, far from it, but it has the potential to maybe be the best story, and personally I don't pay for names, I pay for good stories.

4. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

I guess you're right. Let's see how it all plays out. HHH vs Orton from WM 25 was a match the fans had just seen 10 months ago for four months straight and it still ended up main eventing.

I gotta give it to Bray and Orton though. WM 32 Bray stood head to head with The Rock and lost, at Summerslam Orton stood head to head with Lesnar and lost, but when these two joined forces, they stood tall at the end of Survivor Series and at the end of the Royal Rumble. It really is a great story.

5. ShinChan

ShinChan Gone. For. Good.

For me, it really can. It's the most intriguing storyline going on at the main roster, be it Raw or Smackdown. I'm interested to see what happens next everytime and that's what makes this match more exciting for me.

I have always been a big fan of Bray Wyatt and am happy to see him get a prolonged personal storyline here. Even more interesting is that Bray Wyatt could win the ultimate title as a result of this storyline and that's a moment I've been waiting for more than a couple of years.

Plus, I'm more interested in this match than Rollins/Triple H, Goldberg/Brock III, Owens/Jericho and Reigns/Undertaker. So that makes this match a main event for me if it really happens.

6. LoveReignsO'erMe

LoveReignsO'erMe Dark Match Winner

It might actually end up being the first match on the card, actually. I would trust them to start the evening off on the right foot.

I don't see either title having a big storyline heading into Mania. With Lesnar/Golberg, HHH/Rollins, and Undertaker/Reigns, it's only natural that the titles lose a bit of their shine.

Add in the fact that Styles and Cena will most likely be in semi-high profile matches not involving the titles--Cena against a debuting Samoa Joe, who costs Cena the title at EC and I think there are rumors about Styles/Shane--and Wyatt/Orton and Owens/Jericho (most likely) really seem like mid-card matches.

They probably knew that in advance though, and that's why they're at least going with two stories that involve a breaking up of a faction/alliance, so there's natural drama and intrigue.

7. pepentorresHHH

pepentorresHHH Getting Noticed By Management

If we hadn't seen it on smackdown a couple of times and main event a ppv 5 months ago at No mercy....id say it should go on last. As it stands it shouldn't

8. justinept

justinept Championship Contender

I agree with a lot of the theory here. I don't think we'll see Cena vs Orton at WrestleMania. I also think last night planted some seeds for an Orton/Wyatt program. But my belief is that WrestleMania will feature a triple-threat match between Cena, Orton, and Wyatt for the title.

I see Wyatt demanding Orton give him his spot at WrestleMania, and I see Orton giving in to the demand. From there, I see Cena trashing Orton for doing it before Orton ultimately comes to his senses and demands his spot back into the match. Shane McMahon responds by making it a triple-threat match for the title. For the next several weeks leading into 'Mania, they tease whether Orton is fighting for himself in the match or if fighting alongside Cena to put the strap on Wyatt. There could be a lot of intrigue to that, in my opinion.

9. Y 2 Jake

Y 2 Jake Slightly Autistic

Main even as in close the show? Sure. After 8 hours it won't matter what goes on last.

10. XXJJ

XXJJ Championship Contender

Probably not close the show only if the build is really good..most likely would be the 2nd to last match..Brock/Goldberg close the show.

The other possibility is if Luke Harper costs Wyatt at EC and AJ retains the title. That could set up Orton vs Styles vs Cena for the title and that will likely close the show at a Wrestlemania. And you get Wyatt vs Harper at WM.

11. Pika

Pika Pre-Show Stalwart

It might be the "Main event" for the Championship of Smackdown. I honestly think that term has been used increasingly loose. Double, and even Triple "Main Event" Hell in A Cells. Last year Ambrose vs HHH had a better main event at what was basically a glorified house show than the one at Wrestlemania. It might take a week or two to see where they'll be going with Cena and Orton winning. I'd hope of all matches Cena vs Orton wouldn't be one set in stone to any degree. Orton vs Bray in it's current state would be fine for a Title match or Smackdown "Main Event".

To close the show I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. With enough effort I'm pretty sure Bray and Orton could pull out Magic. They'd really have to escalate the feud to another level to do so though. It wasn't very climax feeling initially when Orton started siding with Bray. It's just been a slow methodical build with occasional up's and downs. If they go for it I have zero idea as what they'd do with Luke Harper. He's pretty intertwined in the two, and I'd rather him not just become Bray's Sidekick after a little bit of individuality. Hopefully after Smackdown it's a little more clear.

12. WorstWrestlingExcrement

WorstWrestlingExcrement Getting Noticed By Management

YOu got it all wrong geeez even WZ said vince scraped some of the matches it was supposed to be underflaker vs cena I am glad that didn't happen.
    Brock Lesner vs Goldberg won't happen at WM33 either. Maybe you don t want to see Orton vs cena but it is happening and Orton will win it trust me!

The other matches will most likely be as it seems to be
    Bruan Strowman vs Brock Lesner
    Reigns vs Kevin Owens vs Jerkiko
    Goldberg vs Underflaker
    Rollins vs Triple H will suck
    I prefer Zayn vs Seth Rollins
    Big Slow vs Shaq
    John Cena match
    AJ Styles match (it could end up being Cena vs Styles vs Orton.

Bruan Strowman vs Brock Lesner

13. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

It won't be the rock bottom, last match to close the show. That'll almost certainly be Goldberg vs. Lesnar, especially if the plan is for Kevin Owens to be sacrificed at Fastlane to Goldberg so that Goldberg can go into WrestleMania as WWE Universal Champion.

To me, Orton vs. Wyatt is preferable to Cena vs. Orton if the plan is for Wyatt to leave WrestleMania as WWE Champion.

14. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

And that's a big if. For all we know, WWE planned this whole Randy Orton retaliation tour in order to say "thank you" for the beating he got against Lesnar at Summerslam and the lucky guy to put over Orton? Who else but the man who loses to the marketable stars at Wrestlemania since his debut, Bray Wyatt?

Obviously I too hope Bray can walk out of Wrestlemania as the champ. But it's Bray Wyatt and only 2 people have had the successful "Rumble win - Championship win at WM" in the last decade, and those are Sheamus and Cena.

Compare that stat to the stats of the previous decade: 8 times, 7 superstars, Austin, Triple H, Lesnar, Benoit, Batista, Rey and Undertaker.

With that being said, Orton could end up winning the title at Wrestlemania.

15. d_henderson1810

d_henderson1810 Mid-Card Championship Winner

I want Orton v Bray, but I don't see why that needs the title. Bray strikes me as someone who sees the title as "materialism" and wants a bigger goal- world domination. He seems above winning a "mere" title (that is how I think he would see it as).

In fact, I think Bray turning on Luke Harper should be a ruse, and that Bray and Harper planned it all along, to give Orton false confidence in Bray's loyalty, only for Bray to turn on Orton and "Sister Abigail" him into next week.

Orton, angry at the Wyatts' betrayal, goes after Harper at "Elimination Chamber", and Bray at WM33.

I also don't see why Cena v Undertaker isn't happening anymore. They had it set in stone last year, but Cena got injured. So, why not do it one year later, when a match of that magnitude screams "Wrestlemania" and would be a worthy "main event", title or not.

I also was hoping that Owens came down and helped Jericho eliminate Reigns from the Rumble. Later, Jericho wins, and now earns a shot at the Universal title, held by his "best bud" Kevin Owens. This would have been an intriging storyline, as Jericho, who cares about his friendship with Owens, but also about winning at Wrestlemania, has to decide if friendship or legacy is more important to him.

16. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

I hope that the reason Cena vs Taker isn't happening is because maybe they're saving it for Taker's last match.

With that being said, Styles not losing the belt and taking it all the way to WM to face Orton would have been a bigger match. However from what I;m getting is that they want to give exposure to the young stars and those who will carry the brand in the future, like Bray and Reigns.

17. WorstWrestlingExcrement

I see Orton injected in the triple threat match with AJ Styles vs cena vs Orton in it

I don't see Brock lesner vs Goldberg at WM33 as it was scrapped
    GOLDBERG vs KO I rather see that at fastlane or something
    I see GOLDBERG vs Underflaker at WM33
    I see Braun Strowman vs Lesnar at WM33
    I see Reigns vs Jericho
    Bray Wyatt vs Luke Harper
    After what we all speculate we will all be unhappy campers cause it will be another wrestlecrap snoozefest and mc moron doesn t listen to any fans just himself

18. Psykohurricane55

Psykohurricane55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

With every matches looking like they are locked up for mania, I don't see this match being the last match of mania, it's not even the biggest match on the smackdown brand since it's going to be third behind joe vs cena and aj vs shane.

The main event will be Goldberg vs lesnar which seem to be back on, so I wouldn't be surprise if this match would be either opening wrestlemania or be the main event of the first hour of mania.

19. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Bray should stay away from the opening slot. As far as I remember, it was bright daylight in WM 24 until the MITB match was finished.

20. Noshowers

Noshowers Occasional Pre-Show

Welp, Lesner vs Goldberg confirmed tonight. Also looking very much like Roman vs Strowman basically confirmed as well. I also liked the foreshadowing in the backstage segment with KO and Jericho. "If we want to headline Wrestlemania you need to help me beat Strowman".

21. WorstWrestlingExcrement

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/801...n-video-of-cena-and-harper-vs-wyatt-and-orton

This Bray Wyatt - Randy Orton obsession and fascination is getting old lol and it is not happening since Luke Harper is a face from what we saw at RR this past sunday
    and I said it all along

WM 33

AJ Styles vs Randy Orton vs John Cena WHC
    Luke Harper vs Bray Wyatt
    Goldberg vs Lesnar 3 ( sadly Goldberg will job to him )
    Braun Strowman vs Kevin Owens vs Jericho UHC
    Reigns vs Underflaker
    Seth Rollins vs HHH
    Shaq vs Big Slow

None of the matches interest me except Randy Orton and Braun Strowman

22. tomthebodz

tomthebodz Pre-Show Stalwart

I can't see it being the main event, but because it's for the WWE title it will be considered one of the Main Events.

I can see Wyatt winning the WWE title at Elimination Chamber and defending it in a triple threat against Orton and Harper with Harper taking the fall and Wyatt retaining. It means that Orton isn't made to look weak and Wyatt and Harper can say they were playing the long game to take Orton out.

Orton really doesn't need another title run for the time being.

I'd put Styles and Cena in some sort of gimmick match to be number 1 contender, maybe a 2/3 falls as they currently, as far as I remember have 1 clean 1v1 victory over each other, it would help to settle the score.

23. XXJJ

XXJJ Championship Contender

Rumors going around that Goldberg is going to beat Owens at Fastlane for the title. That will pretty much end any debate on whats closing the show.

SD title main event will most likely be 2nd to last match on WM.

24. THTRobtaylor

THTRobtaylor Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist

There's one way they could get it to work... I think this will happen in the match anyway (not sure this triple threat Wyatt idea will wash) but it could be an epic end to the show.

It's been a while since they did the old Bret/Stone Cold double turn mid match. I can see the build-up being all about Wyatt as the heel and Orton the face... only for it to change mid match at Wrestlemania... Perhaps Orton bloodies him badly and they do the Austin turn for him to "lose the title" or Orton realises he's turned Harper and Rowan against Bray and the three are destroying him.

The reaction to Bray's win will be a surprise to some in WWE, but not the fans, they've wanted this a long time and it's natural that Bray is gonna end up face at the end of this, whether he still has the title or not at the end of Mania.

The most telling sign is that if the RAW side is as it appears, Goldberg v Brock ends with Brock winning the title... that means Bray is more likely to retain. The double turn, perhaps Orton refusing to release a hold or stop pounding him leads to a "reverse decision". After the shock of Goldberg losing, a controversial ending would work well.

25. Un-Bo-Lievable Jeff

Un-Bo-Lievable Jeff Getting Noticed By Management

Care to retract that statement? I didn't think they would do Cena vs orton again after it was badly received. But no idea what they do now.

Surely the payoff on the story is Orton beating Wyatt. Shame for Wyatt to lose