Calgary Region, LA Subregion: Second Round: (14) Yokozuna vs. (6) Eddie Guerrero

Who Wins This Match

• Yokozuna

• Eddie Guerrero

Results are only viewable after voting.
Actually Eddie Guerrero is one of the few guys that I can see defeating Yoko by not even knocking him down. I can very well see them having a match in which the ref would get bumped, Eddie would make use of that to get a chair, hit Yoko with some stiff chair shots to get him reeling and as the ref is starting to get up, Eddie throws the chair in Yoko's direction and plays dead. The referree will then disqualify Yoko and Eddie will win this by lying, cheating and stealing. Yoko's USP was that he could not be knocked down very easily but as Eddie shows there is a way to get past the big guy even without knocking him down.

That is EXACTLY how I pictured Eddie winning this match. On a level playing field, Yokozuna was simply too big for almost anybody to beat. How the hell do you pin a guy that if you lay across his stomach you woul be about 3 feet off the floor. You would need 2 use 2 arms just to pick up Yoko's leg to pin him.

Eddie would get squashed by the fat man if he didnt use a chair, but this is the master of "Lyin, Cheatin, and Stealin!" Viva La Raza!!

Eddie goes through after using his brain. I should have probably voted sensibly and gone for Yoko, but he fucking sucked. I despised seeing him in the ring. Just for the sake of WRESTLING, vote Eddie Guerrero!

He was better that night because he used his athleticism to get a roll up victory on a guy who probably had his mind more on his world title match later in the night then some match up against his younger brother. Once again, Owen's athleticism isn't going to beat a prime Yokozuna.

But neither Bret nor Owen beat the big man by athleticism, they beat him because he lost his balance and fell on his back. In effect Yoko beat himself in both instances, I still don't think it's unreasonable to believe Eddie could do the same.

Because Eddie in his prime didn't have the Radicalz. When he was in the Radicalz he was a European champion at best. Do you really want that Eddie going against Yolozuna?

When Ric Flair faced the Undertaker at Wrestlemania, the four horsemen were no more but that didn't stop Double A performing a spinebuster on the Phenom.

He only got pinned twice one on one in his prime against guys far superior to Eddie. If you want to vote for Eddie because he was better in the ring and on the mic then go ahead but if you are voting kayfabe wise then there is no way Eddie beats Yoko.

He doesn't have to pin Yoko, a DQ or countout is just as satistactory and kayfabe that is playing right into the hands of a lying, cheating, stealing Guerrero. In fact, while Yokozuna had more than his share of tainted victories, I think the majority of people would give Eddie the edge here.

With two days left, I am going to make a fuller more detailed appeal for Yokozuna to go over here.

1. Define the prime. People who are ragging strictly on Yoko's weight and lack of mobility in the later stages of his career (i.e. his 600+ pound days and losses to the likes of Austin, Michaels, Vader) are doing the same garbage that folks do to Andre. Yokozuna's prime is 1992-1995. During that time frame, Yokozuna wrestled at 505-550 lbs. He was quick and agile for a guy that size, and there's no getting past that, despite what Doody-head JGlass says about how Yoko is a beached whale. That's erroneous on ALL counts. The man could get up off the mat just fine. Just because he was a big dude doesn't mean he was King Hippo.

2. The concept of outside interference. Just stop it. Anyone who is ragging on Yokozuna for using guys like Jim Cornette and Mr. Fuji on the outside is just making excuses, and conveniently ignoring the fact that half of Eddie's WWF gimmick was "Lie, Cheat, Steal." Somehow, Eddie glamorized cheating whereas Yokozuna made people hate him. Why? Because Yoko was a better heel that Eddie was. The foreign heels almost ALWAYS cheated to win against top competition. Both men have a killer instinct and will do what it takes to win, and the bull shit that people are holding that AGAINST Yokozuna while using it as a point IN FAVOR of Eddie is hypocritical at the least.

Side note - those of you bitching that Yoko's first title win was a result of Fuji's salt in Bret's eyes? Well Eddie's first title win required Goldberg spearing Brock Lesnar and Eddie then DDT'ing Brock's head into a title belt.

3. Yokozuna as a worker. I hear a lot of talk about what a great "worker" Eddie was. Yes, he did a great job overcoming being high on Coke to put good matches together. I digress - I loved Eddie. But Yokozuna did a fantastic job in his role, but because he's not a 230-lb chain wrestler and spot monkey, he's suddenly a "shit worker" and a "slob." Ridiculous. Yokozuna put over hall of famer Hacksaw Jim Duggan - wait for it - BY MAKING DUGGAN THE FIRST MAN TO KNOCK YOKO OFF HIS FEET IN A SINGLES MATCH. Yokozuna was SO dominant that Duggan got over because he was permitted the opportunity to clothesline Yokozuna 4 times without retribution. Yoko then proceeded to decimate the man with 4 banzai drops. Duggan was the fallen hero. Yokozuna also made Lex Luger's face turn worth a damn with the Intrepid Bodyslam Challenge. Does anybody realize what an event and what a coup that was at that time? Yet when Luger screwed the pooch by blabbing about potentially going over Yoko at Summer Slam, Vince kept the belt on Yokozuna because he was a reliable, solid worker. What moveset do you want from a 550-lb sumo wrestling heel!? He did EVERYTHING he was supposed to do, PERFECTLY.

4) Quick notes... Yokozuna main evented two Wrestlemanias. Eddie main evented none. Yokozuna won the first Royal Rumble he was in, Eddie won none. Eddie won the WWE Title one time for 133 days when there were two major World Titles in the WWF. Yokozuna's 280-day WWF Title reign is the third longest in the past 20 years, behind only John Cena and Diesel, at a time when there was only one WWF World Title. Eddie Guerrero beat Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle before losing to JBL. Yokozuna beat Bret Hart, Lex Luger, The Undertaker, and Hulk Hogan before losing to Bret Hart. ALL matches from both men involved heel tactics. (editors note - such a draw was Eddie as champion that his title loss to JBL didn't even main event the PPV it was on - that honor went to The Undertaker vs The Dudley Boyz. Wow.)

Respond as you see fit, and vote for Yokozuna.

With two days left, I am going to make a fuller more detailed appeal for Yokozuna to go over here.

1. Define the prime. People who are ragging strictly on Yoko's weight and lack of mobility in the later stages of his career (i.e. his 600+ pound days and losses to the likes of Austin, Michaels, Vader) are doing the same garbage that folks do to Andre. Yokozuna's prime is 1992-1995. During that time frame, Yokozuna wrestled at 505-550 lbs. He was quick and agile for a guy that size, and there's no getting past that, despite what Doody-head JGlass says about how Yoko is a beached whale. That's erroneous on ALL counts. The man could get up off the mat just fine. Just because he was a big dude doesn't mean he was King Hippo.

2. The concept of outside interference. Just stop it. Anyone who is ragging on Yokozuna for using guys like Jim Cornette and Mr. Fuji on the outside is just making excuses, and conveniently ignoring the fact that half of Eddie's WWF gimmick was "Lie, Cheat, Steal." Somehow, Eddie glamorized cheating whereas Yokozuna made people hate him. Why? Because Yoko was a better heel that Eddie was. The foreign heels almost ALWAYS cheated to win against top competition. Both men have a killer instinct and will do what it takes to win, and the bull shit that people are holding that AGAINST Yokozuna while using it as a point IN FAVOR of Eddie is hypocritical at the least.

Side note - those of you bitching that Yoko's first title win was a result of Fuji's salt in Bret's eyes? Well Eddie's first title win required Goldberg spearing Brock Lesnar and Eddie then DDT'ing Brock's head into a title belt.

3. Yokozuna as a worker. I hear a lot of talk about what a great "worker" Eddie was. Yes, he did a great job overcoming being high on Coke to put good matches together. I digress - I loved Eddie. But Yokozuna did a fantastic job in his role, but because he's not a 230-lb chain wrestler and spot monkey, he's suddenly a "shit worker" and a "slob." Ridiculous. Yokozuna put over hall of famer Hacksaw Jim Duggan - wait for it - BY MAKING DUGGAN THE FIRST MAN TO KNOCK YOKO OFF HIS FEET IN A SINGLES MATCH. Yokozuna was SO dominant that Duggan got over because he was permitted the opportunity to clothesline Yokozuna 4 times without retribution. Yoko then proceeded to decimate the man with 4 banzai drops. Duggan was the fallen hero. Yokozuna also made Lex Luger's face turn worth a damn with the Intrepid Bodyslam Challenge. Does anybody realize what an event and what a coup that was at that time? Yet when Luger screwed the pooch by blabbing about potentially going over Yoko at Summer Slam, Vince kept the belt on Yokozuna because he was a reliable, solid worker. What moveset do you want from a 550-lb sumo wrestling heel!? He did EVERYTHING he was supposed to do, PERFECTLY.

4) Quick notes... Yokozuna main evented two Wrestlemanias. Eddie main evented none. Yokozuna won the first Royal Rumble he was in, Eddie won none. Eddie won the WWE Title one time for 133 days when there were two major World Titles in the WWF. Yokozuna's 280-day WWF Title reign is the third longest in the past 20 years, behind only John Cena and Diesel, at a time when there was only one WWF World Title. Eddie Guerrero beat Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle before losing to JBL. Yokozuna beat Bret Hart, Lex Luger, The Undertaker, and Hulk Hogan before losing to Bret Hart. ALL matches from both men involved heel tactics. (editors note - such a draw was Eddie as champion that his title loss to JBL didn't even main event the PPV it was on - that honor went to The Undertaker vs The Dudley Boyz. Wow.)

Well, that sealed the deal for me. You're a hell of a salesmen and I'm buying. Yoko it is. There's just no way to really go against him after such a well stated argument as the above. I was never an EG fan, I was never a Yoko fan, but looking back now I should now be a Yoko fan because he really was great for his size and time. Someone else also mentioned that he is the one who carried us out of the Hogan era and that couldn't be more true.

Eddie to me will be remembered for his gimmick of "Latino Heat". He's a hard worker and crafty in the ring, however, going up against Yokozuna would put Eddie down the ladder in a heartbeat.

I have seen Yoko's work in the early 90s, and he is a freight train of huge. He also has the great Mr. Fuji in his corner throughout his tenure and has beaten the top superstars along the way. Counting Hogan, Hart, Luger, Taker and more it's more than enough to say that Yoko deserves to move on more than Eddie. His WWE championship win was all because of Goldberg's interference, and let's face it, if Lesnar wasn't on his way out the door that year, he would've beaten Eddie senseless in that match.

My Vote: Yokozuna

I hate the notion that Eddie's win against Brock Lesnar was all because of Goldberg because that's not true. Brock still had Eddie set up for a F-5 after all that and Eddie countered it into a DDT. I know Eddie brought the belt in but we know that Brock's head hitting the belt is vague as most. Brock Lesnar wasn't able to put Eddie away for 25 plus minutes before Goldberg so I scoff at JXL saying that Brock would have beat Eddie senseless.

I hate the notion that Eddie's win against Brock Lesnar was all because of Goldberg because that's not true. Brock still had Eddie set up for a F-5 after all that and Eddie countered it into a DDT. I know Eddie brought the belt in but we know that Brock's head hitting the belt is vague as most. Brock Lesnar wasn't able to put Eddie away for 25 plus minutes before Goldberg so I scoff at JXL saying that Brock would have beat Eddie senseless.

Heh, you got a lil' emotional there from what I said, I understand that frustration. The way it was viewed, you were right that Eddie's offense stifled Brock and countering the F-5 to a DDT changed up the match, but it was the end result that was the changing point to me. Goldberg got involved and Eddie capitalized afterwards with the Frog Splash. I'm pretty sure if he didn't, even if Eddie hit the splash, Brock would've kicked out, and catch Eddie with the F-5 again and hit it.

I apologize about interpreting that Brock would take out Eddie. I meant to say about the end result of the match was Eddie's highest point, and things would've been different if not for that end result.

I voted for Yoko due in part to the fact I think Eddie would eventually lose due to the massive size of Yoko and his speed in his prime. Eddie will always be one of my favorites and I'm very happy he's winning but he wouldn't be able to stand up against the size & speed of Yoko in his prime. Before anyone says Eddie beat Big Show he beat a shell of what Big Show was in WCW so that doesn't hold any water.

Now onto the bolded part of IC's post I quoted. Eddie Main evented WM XX with Kurt Angle for the WWE title. No it wasn't the last match on the card and it shouldn't have been with HBK vs HHH Vs Benoit on the the card but it was Billed as the Smackdown Main Event (just wanted to point that out).

I go with my "holmes" Eddie. Yokozuna was very talented and agile even for his size. However I'm not sure how much he influenced on wrestling. I mean, Eddie opened the doors for latin wrestlers, specially with his victory over Lesnar, showing that a Latino can be the champion of the company. Juts take a look: Rey Mysterio, Alberto Del Rio, Sin Cara. It's only three examples but back in the day, it was impossible to see as "talented" these wrestlers.

Being that said, Yokozuna was build up like a dominant force and not as face of the company or representan if you will. Interesting draw, two great "foreign" wrestlers, but my vote goes to Eddie. He open a little the minds in the WWE.

Milenko, even though it's a moot point now, I wanted to respond to your point about 'main eventing' Wrestlemania, and yes, you're right in one respect. But by that same logic, I can make the argument that Yokozuna was in BOTH main events at Wrestlemania 10 - first against Lex Luger and then again against Bret Hart, as both matches were equally weighted title matches and the only reason Luger went first was because of a Jack Tunney coin flip.

And by that logic, it makes Yokozuna the ONLY man in history to be in both halves of a Wrestlemania Double Main-Event. I wish I'd realized that earlier; maybe I'd have gotten the big man those last four votes instead of Eddie moving to round 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back