Calgary Region, LA Subregion: First Round: (11) Yokozuna vs. (22) Ron Simmons

Who Wins This Match

• Yokozuna

• Ron Simmons

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a first round match in the Calgary Region.

This match takes place in the Staples Center, LA, California

2010034339staples_center.jpg

#11 Yokozuna

yokozuna.gif

Vs.

#22 Ron Simmons

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

Yokozuna takes this in kind of a squash.

Ron would put up a good fight, but Yoko would use crushing power to stop Ron early. Ron was a champion but who really remembers it? Yoko will be remembered as a champion, royal rumble winner, etc. I see no way Ron could win this.

Banzai Drop 4 minutes in.

Edit: And by who would remember his championship reign, I didn't mean him as a champion. He will always be the first black champion and have a good early career. Just after that he really didn't accomplish much and I think that a lot of people will overlook his early career and see him later in his career.

Every tournament needs an uplifting first-round upset, and this is it (for me, at least). Newer fans have no freakin' idea how sweet Ron was before the DAMN t-shirt came along. He was an All-American at Florida State and the World Heavyweight champion back in 1992.

And who did he beat for the strap? Big. Van. Vader. He pinned Vader (after a nice powerslam), and held the belt for like 5 or 6 months, before dropping back to Vader (no shame in that). Ron has taken out big guys before, and while Yoko has quite a bit of weight on Vader, he's not half the athlete.

Simmons shocks the world with a powerslam 12 minutes in, and moves on.

Ron has a backstory of accomplishments under his belt. The first black WCW world champion, multiple time Tag Team Champion, leader of a really solid stable The Nation of Domination. IMO he's already a legend.

Yokozuna uses his girth and intimidation to try and pull down Simmons, but can use his momentum against Yoko, and roll him up in a surprise fashion.

My vote: Ron Simmons. DAMN!

My first instinct as I start to write this, before I vote, is to vote for Yokozuna. That is simply because he was a 2-Time WWF Champion. But the more I think about the Simmons I want to see in this match against Yokozuna, is that Simmons of WCW.

Simmons is a better athlete then most people would know. Before Michigan Corner Back, Charles Woodson won the Heisman in 1998 (I believe). Simmons had been the highest a Defensive Player had ever finished in the Heisman Trophy voting.

I think I am going with Simmons here. I think he pulls a similar win over Yokozuna as he did over Vader and pulls a quick Powerslam out of his ass and pins him. Simmons gets this one last chance to show people he was more then Bradshaw's partner in the Acolytes and more then the dude that said, "DAMN". He was a powerful guy and would have no problem showing everyone that power in a match against Yokozuna.

Ron Simmons here for the win, with a HUGE Powerslam that floors everyone and gets him a shocking victory!!

I don't think it's going to be quite as one sided as it seems on the surface but, ultimately, I think that Yokozuna is going to be too much for Simmons in the end. Simmons, obviously, is a much better athlete than Yoko and his win over Vader back in 1992 was definitely an upset. However, I just think that Yoko simply has too much mass for Simmons to ultimately do much with him. A simple move like a belly to belly suplex from Yokozuna is just downright devestating and a few of those would just take Simmons out.

When I think of Yoko in his prime, I sometimes think of the matches he had with Randy Savage and how he just utterly dominated Savage in those matches. I don't think Savage ever took him off his feet and he was a far superior wrestler to Simmons. Simmons would probably make it to the 5 minute mark, maybe he'd take the big man off his feet once, maybe twice, but that's it.

Ron Simmons' name has value in wrestling history, being the first black World Champion, but in the end Yokozuna would be too much for Simmons to be able to handle (and that's saying alot)

There was a time where Yokozuna was unstoppable. He was won the Royal Rumble, beat The Undertaker in a casket match, kicked out of Hulk Hogan's legdrop before pinning Hogan and winning the title for the second time. He's beat Bret Hart (for the title), Steve Austin, etc. Yokozuna has an impressive list of feats and victories.

As powerful as Ron Simmons is, it's not enough to get him into the second round.

Yokozuna was all but unstoppable when he first came into the WWF. He was eventually briefly stopped by Hogan, but then he got the title back and returned to dominance. He was a juggernaut that was stopped by some of the great wrestlers, but I don't think Faarooq fits into that category. He won the WCW title at a time when the company didn't really have a direction, and I think he would have been unlikely to go over Yokozuna even if he was the sort of guy that fared best against him.

This will be closer than expected, but Yoko takes this one. Simmons caught lightning in a bottle by beating Vader for the strap... Yoko is a lot heavier and a very agile athlete for someone who topped 600 lbs. Simmons would wear him down... but you have to factor in Mr. Fuji... who'll throw salt in the eyes of Simmons, which gives Yokozuna the advantage he needs and a Banzai Drop wins it in about 13 minutes.

BANZAI!

I have always liked the work of Ron Simmons. And I have never really been a fan of the immense but immobile wrestler, something that Yokozuna was a poster boy for. However, the man did hold the WWF title for a considerable period of time. Based upon sheer size alone, he would be a daunting foe for anyone to defeat, especially someone who was only slightly above average such as Simmons. My preference would be for Ron Simmons to prevail, but logically, I think the nod has to go to Yokozuna. DAMN!

Simmons has an impressive list of kayfabe achievements for sure with the highlight being that he was the first black World Champion ever. He has had a distinguished career for sure but I cannot remember him drawing huge cheers or insanic amounts of heat at any point in his career. Yokozuna on the other hand had a short peak like most superheavyweights do but he was absolutely hated at that point. The only time Simmons can elicit a good reaction from the crowd is when he utters DAMN! and that is something he has started doing regularly once his in ring career got finished.

Yoko has defeated some of the greats in the biz like Bret Hart and most importantly The Immortal Hulk Hogan. He is the man who ended Hulkamania in 1993. I don't think that Simmons has a chance against this guy.

Ron Simmons had been one tough dude back in his APA days with Bradshaw, he won't succumb to the power of Yokozuna so quickly and I actually am happy that it is close, the IWC is finally get something right! Ron is tough and he might not be a cruiserweight by any standards but he can move a helluva lot faster than Yokozuna and that would be the basis of his attack; strike, move and repeat. However you would need the muscles of Batista and John Cena combined to really land any game changing offense on the at one point, 660 pound monster and while Simmons was strong, he wasn't a superhero or anything. And he wasn't loved like one either and while cheered, rarely would he be getting any "monster pops" from the audience. Fuji had the all tricks he needed, up his sleeve and if Simmons did take the match farther than pretty much all of us expect, he'll find a way it doesn't go all the way. I mean, even one of the first black World Champions can conjure an offense when blinded or when distracted by the manager himself. He's not the factor in the match, but Fuji sure is sure an advantage. And that is why after taking some promising shots from Simmons, Mr. Fuji will jump on the apron and give Yoko enough time to plant his opponent and when the Banzai is landed, there is no "kicking out"

I'm going with Simmons. Yoko may have been huge, but he still depended on Mr. Fuji. Yeah he may be bug and dominant, but the man has been beaten. Hell, Savio Fucking Vega has a victory over him to his credit back 1995. When Yoko was at his peak. I wouldn't worry about interference. Yoko has Fuji? Well Ron has Teddy Long. Yeah, that Teddy Long. Or Butch Reed. Or even JBL. Yokozuna may be big. but he can be beat. Men with smaller physiques and athletism have beaten him, so Ron should be no different.

Big Yoko gets the duke in this one, but not without a valiant effort from Ron. As an ex college football great, and possessing some of the best natural athleticism in the wrestling business, Simmons will definitley hang around and do some pretty decent damage to the massive samoan. I just don't think it will be possible(though this IS pro wrestling so I guess anything is possible) for Simmons to execute some of the manuevers that he favored during his prime. I just can't find it plausible for him to hoist a 600+ pound man for a spine buster, and the weight advantage that Yoko possesses will eventually get him a difficult, but clean win here. After taking some serious punishment for a good chunk of the match, Yoko could catch Simmons w/ a side slam after a failed powerbomb attempt. A 600 pound legdrop followed up by a banzai drop ends things. Yoko moves on for now.

Simmons was DAMM good wrestler...see what I did there? But most fans will remember him for his tag-team run as Faarooq in the WWE and possibly his work in the Nation, but most will not even know he ever held a World Title.

I like Ron, I really do, and I never enjoyed watching Yoko...but the sheer size of Yokozuna will give him the win here. Simmons' signiture moves were a powerslam and a big spinebuster, neither of which he would be able to do on Yoko, rendering his offense worthless.

Yoko would be able to dominate this one, and a Banzai drop 6 minutes in would get him the victory.

Hopefully he will not go much further, as he SUCKED but I think he would get through this round.

Ron Simmons beat a more accomplished monster in Vader for the WCW title and Yokozuna displayed weakness against the 'All-American' Luger who not only slammed him but beat him via countout at Summerslam and was screwed by Curt Hennig at WM. History is all on the FSU legend's side.

The 'All-American' Ron Simmons would have either beat the sumo monster by powerslam and pin or he'd have knocked him through the ropes to his backside with a shoulderblock and won by count out.

Ron Simmons beat a more accomplished monster in Vader for the WCW title and Yokozuna displayed weakness against the 'All-American' Luger who not only slammed him but beat him via countout at Summerslam and was screwed by Curt Hennig at WM. History is all on the FSU legend's side.

The 'All-American' Ron Simmons would have either beat the sumo monster by powerslam and pin or he'd have knocked him through the ropes to his backside with a shoulderblock and won by count out.

Unless Ron Simmons has replaced part of his shoulder with an illegal metal plate, then he won't be knocking out Yokozuna. That Summerslam match was the biggest joke ever. Furthermore, Luger didn't bodyslam Yokozuna - he hip tossed him.

Simmons is likely more powerful than Luger, I'll give him that, and yeah he defeated a monster in Vader once upon a time. But if memory serves, some see that match-up against Vader as a fluke.. and I also seen to recall Simmons dropping the strap right back to Vader.

Yokozuna is heavier than Vader, and just slightly less quick, but still with speed. Unless turnbuckles snap, or illegal objects are involved - Simmons has no chance of winning here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back