Brutus Beefcake: "I'm a lock for the WWE Hall of Fame"

RIPbossman

Occasional Pre-Show
Brutus Beefcake aka Ed Leslie said in an interview a few years ago that he was a lock for the WWE Hall of Fame. What do you think of this statement?

He had a good character that was over as The Barber. He would have been a respectable Intercontinental Champion. I didn't see much of his work in WCW, but it didn't sound successful, as he changed his name and gimmick several times there. He didn't deserve to main event Summer Slam or Starrcade, he only got those opportunities because he was Hogan's friend. But still, he has those big ppv main events on his list of accomplishments.

Trivia: Ed Leslie is one of 8 wrestlers to main event both Summer Slam and Starrcade.
Ed Leslie
Hulk Hogan
Randy Savage
Bret Hart
Lex Luger
Vader
Kevin Nash
Goldberg

I could see him getting into the WWE Hall of Fame, but it is far from a "lock" and if it were up to me, he would miss the cut. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Brutus Beefcake was one of the most deficient wrestlers I have ever had the displeasure of watching. He couldn't work, hell, he could barely talk. He got over with a stupid gimmick, that being the gimmick of a braindead idiot that would snip his ridiculous hedgeclippers so carelessly I'm astonished no one was ever maimed. Of course, the WWE Hall of Fame has long since become a dumping ground for wrestlers who accomplished little of merit (see Johnny Rodz, Baron Mikel Scicluna, and the list goes on).

I could see him getting into the WWE Hall of Fame, but it is far from a "lock" and if it were up to me, he would miss the cut. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Your line should probably be at Koko B. Ware, and Brutus Beefcake was a much bigger star in WWF than Koko was. That alone should get Beefcake in. He was one of the hottest wrestlers in the late 80's, even before he started teaming with Hulk Hogan. I give you he wasn't overly talented in any one area, but he was certainly over and he did it on his own with the opportunity he received.

Beefcake was a lackey. He was a lackey that may have accomplished more than certain previous inductees, but he was a lackey nevertheless. I'm not going to sit here and argue that he wouldn't get into the hall of fame, but I will argue that he frankly isn't deserving of the honor.

I'd take Beefcake over people like Koko anyday.

At least Beefcake i found entertaining while the best part about Koko was the bird.

Beefcake was a lackey. He was a lackey that may have accomplished more than certain previous inductees, but he was a lackey nevertheless. I'm not going to sit here and argue that he wouldn't get into the hall of fame, but I will argue that he frankly isn't deserving of the honor.

Neither is 90% of the people in there

Even if WWE were selective with their Hall of Fame (which of course they're not), Brutus should go in.

He's still a fairly recognizable name who had a gimmick that had no business going over yet it did. He also was about half the WCW gimmicks ever created in 1994-1999. Dude may not be a multiple World Champion selling out arenas but he definitely has a place somewhere in the HoF, especially if WWE continue to admit a dozen or so wrestlers each year.

Long as he doesn't piss on the WWE flag or whatever he's a lock.

i would like to see the whole hall of fame scrapped disowned deleted from history and treated like it never happened (and we all know wwe have form for doing such things benoit) and then do one of two things forget the hall of fame and never mention it again or redo it properly
1 -3 people a year max no celebs no they didnt help they didnt impact the industry they where there for a payday
and only put in people with real merit

If it were up to most of the IWC the hall of fame would be filled with about 5 or 6 names like CM Punk, Cody Rhodes, Kenny Omega, Sami Zayn and maybe a couple of others who the IWC is in love with, Every time an inductees name comes up all we hear about undeserving they are and the ones who are deserving career wise like Hogan or Austin for example they complain they shouldn't be in for certain issues like racism, steroids or wife beating etc.
As a child in the 80s almost everyone I knew seemed to know all the names like Brutus the barber Beefcake interesting to compare today how many people knows Sami Zayn or Dean Ambrose for example I would be very surprised if I could find many.
personally I think he's deserving, He did main event in some tag matches with Hogan but not once did he look out of place in those main events, Not just with Hogan also held tag titles with Valentine and also a lot of great singles feuds against Honky Tonk man, Ron Bass and Mr Perfect to name a few.
Only thing I don't agree with is having the celebrities in the hall of fame I think it takes away from the wrestlers who dedicate their lives to the business rather than a celebrity who shows up for one or two appearances.

To imply that his friendship with Hogan was the only reason Brutus was insanely over is a joke. Do you honestly think there was a line of guys with their hands up when they were handing out the Barber gimmick? Sure, his friendship with Hogan did a lot more for him than his wrestling ability ever did, but to dismiss everything else is ignorant. The guy was charismatic, he had a gimmick that entertained people, he played to the crowd, he had crazy hair and outlandish ring gear. The guy was a lot of fun, back when people allowed themselves to be entertained. For most people, his friendship with Hogan was revealed YEARS after he was already a beloved superstar. It wasn't weird that he was put into IC title matches or tags with Hogan--it was fine. The storylines called for it. Sure, Hogan's power may have influenced the writers, but Beefer still had to go out and convince people he was worthy. And he was. You guys take wrestling, the Hall of Fame and yourselves way too seriously. The guy was extremely entertaining and made a lot of merchandising money because people loved him...they didn't care about--or know about--his friendship with Hogan. For the SMALL percentage of people who like to relive those days, if you want to point to that as a reason or deterrent, have at it. But for the majority of people who just enjoyed the guy's performance, especially in the Barber era, he is clearly worthy of a spot in this Hall of Fame.

What is wrong with having a serious hall of fame with a set standard established pertaining to inductees? A hall of fame that lacks such a standard isn't a hall of fame. It's nothing more than a generic listing of wrestlers that sheeples will justify belong in there until they're blue in the face. A hall of fame should include the best of the best. It should not be a "My Favorite Retired Wrestler" club.

People criticize the so-called IWC (and just fyi, if you're posting on the internet, you're technically part of the IWC) for expecting said standard, and will trumpet the induction of virtually anyone who donned a set of trunks for any random reason one can think of. Problem is, the ones whose causes they defend were rarely as over as they claim. For his part, Beefcake entered the WWF as a Hogan lackey. When he started there, he couldn't work or talk, he was booked in meaningful angles completely on the power of his relationship with Hogan. Five years later, he still couldn't work, and could only talk passably. Beefcake's success wasn't thirty percent because of Hogan, or sixty percent or eighty percent. The whole reason Beefcake was employed by the WWF at all was because of Hogan, the reason he was employed by WCW at all was because of Hogan, and you saw how fast he dropped from the spotlight when those in power were no longer willing to abide his lackluster ring skills.

Brutus Beefcake was as deficient in the ring as they came. Not only could he not work or talk, he didn't set any standards, he didn't innovate anything, he didn't win many titles, he was in every respect undistinguished as a wrestler. Carrying hedgeclippers to the ring did not make him a great wrestler (or even a great entertainer). Wearing clothes that made it appear as though a pipe bomb had exploded in his pockets did not make him a great wrestler (or even a great entertainer). Headlining SummerSlam alongside Hogan did not make him a great wrestler (or even a great entertainer). Beefcake was a trademark example of a star who was manufactured from the ground up, and one that exceeded his sell-by date a lot faster than all too many people will acknowledge. Truth is, McMahon could have put Beefcake's clothes on a wino and pushed him down your throats, and a percentage of spectators would have brought it simply because he was being pushed. Some people will buy into virtually anything, but the thing is, eventually a greater majority of people will wake up, and that is why Beefcake never retained his viability into the nineties.

Last edited:
What is wrong with having a serious hall of fame with a set standard established pertaining to inductees? A hall of fame that lacks such a standard isn't a hall of fame. It's nothing more than a generic listing of wrestlers that sheeples will justify belong in there until they're blue in the face. A hall of fame should include the best of the best. It should not be a "My Favorite Retired Wrestler" club.

People criticize the so-called IWC (and just fyi, if you're posting on the internet, you're technically part of the IWC) for expecting said standard, and will trumpet the induction of virtually anyone who donned a set of trunks for any random reason one can think of. Problem is, the ones whose causes they defend were rarely as over as they claim. For his part, Beefcake entered the WWF as a Hogan lackey. When he started there, he couldn't work or talk, he was booked in meaningful angles completely on the power of his relationship with Hogan. Five years later, he still couldn't work, and could only talk passably. Beefcake's success wasn't thirty percent because of Hogan, or sixty percent or eighty percent. The whole reason Beefcake was employed by the WWF at all was because of Hogan, the reason he was employed by WCW at all was because of Hogan, and you saw how fast he dropped from the spotlight when those in power were no longer willing to abide his lackluster ring skills.

Brutus Beefcake was as deficient in the ring as they came. Not only could he not work or talk, he didn't set any standards, he didn't innovate anything, he didn't win many titles, he was in every respect undistinguished as a wrestler. Carrying hedgeclippers to the ring did not make him a great wrestler (or even a great entertainer). Wearing clothes that made it appear as though a pipe bomb had exploded in his pockets did not make him a great wrestler (or even a great entertainer). Headlining SummerSlam alongside Hogan did not make him a great wrestler (or even a great entertainer). Beefcake was a trademark example of a star who was manufactured from the ground up, and one that exceeded his sell-by date a lot faster than all too many people will acknowledge. Truth is, McMahon could have put Beefcake's clothes on a wino and pushed him down your throats, and a percentage of spectators would have brought it simply because he was being pushed. Some people will buy into virtually anything, but the thing is, eventually a greater majority of people will wake up, and that is why Beefcake never retained his viability into the nineties.
Wow you seem to really hate Brutus Beefcake! You appear very angry and quite annoying, Your free to like or dislike who you want but don't tell me who I can and can't like who even are you? We are not all of one opinion so no need for the name calling because I disagree with you because of someone I liked as a child. I'm not even that big of a fan of his there's easily 50 wrestlers I prefer. Wrestling is meant to be fun not so serious, Would love to see him return to the WWE now and win the world title just to rile you up.

Name calling? Aside from terming Beefcake deficient, I've done no such thing. Unless you object to my use of the term "sheeple," but I was speaking in a broader sense. Angry? Not in the least. It's clear that you are the one who is quite triggered and invested and perhaps cannot handle the opinions of other people. Could it be that you see reason in my position? At the very least, you cannot formulate a rational counterargument. I imagine that is what you actually find "annoying." That you term me "annoying" because I hold an opinion contrary to yours would seem to lend credence to my conclusion.

Hate Beefcake? I don't exactly like him, but that is utterly irrelevant. Hall of fame induction isn't about who I like or dislike, I support many individuals for HoF induction who I dislike a hell of a lot more than Beefcake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back