Booker T's Commentary

Low_Ki

Former WZCW Tag Team Champion
So to my disgust I listened to Russo’s podcast the other day with Stevie Ray.

They were discussing Wade Keller’s criticism of Booker T’s commentary last week on RAW, with Keller stating that Booker should read from cue cards etc. Obviously this was for Stevie to go back and criticise Keller.

The one point that Russo made actually made me take notice though. His point was that Booker was the only on air commentary personality that wasn’t a nameless face, and that every time Booker spoke you knew that you were going to be entertained.

So I guess my question is, do you agree with Russo? Is Booker the only person on commentary who has a stand out personality, or do you think that his style is too erratic?

I side on the entertaining side. His style may be unorthodox, but he is entertaining.

My favourite line of all time was the one regarding Mark Henry putting a skid mark on someone’s head. Your opinion on his commentary and if you have one some of Booker’s favourite one liners?

I pretty much completely agree with Russo. I thought this post was going to be a negative response to Booker's commentary and I was actually going to say, at least he's not generic like every other commentator in the WWE right now. Booker's literally the only guy who has a unique style of commentary. Guys like Graves and Phillips are good, no doubt, but they just sound like upgraded versions of Saxton and Cole.

Booker's funny. Yeah he fucks up and makes no sense at times, but I laugh a hell of a lot more than I cringe. As for favorite one liners... nothing will ever beat shucky ducky quack quack. He might have stolen it from Cecil Armstrong, but I don't care.

I see both sides at times and my agreement or disagreement sometimes depends on my mood. Sometimes, I find Booker T entertaining and even a bit charming; he comes across as the only commentators on the male roster who doesn't have Vince telling them what to say. I'm not saying that Graves or Phillips do, but they're so polished I can't help but feel that way considering that Vince basically wants anyone on commentary who isn't a WWE Hall of Famer who didn't spend 20+ years inside the ring to seem less passionate.

Sometimes though, Booker T absolutely gets on my last nerve as he comes across as just so fucking, flat out stupid sometimes. He's probably the only commentator that often does a complete 180 multiple times during a single match and he genuinely comes off as stupid sometimes or just a guy who frequently says things without even thinking.

As to which I tend to fall on, I'm usually more entertained by Booker than I am irritated. It'll sometimes depend on the match, the overall energy of the show, how funny or asinine whatever he says might be, etc. I'm not surprised at all Wade Keller hates Booker T's work as Keller is a full blown disciple of Dave Meltzer. It's so bad sometimes that it's hard to tell where Meltzer ends off and Keller begins, it's like the guy has no opinion of his own apart from what Meltzer tells him to believe.

It's funny, Booker T would have driven me nuts as a young fan. I grew up with Gorilla Monsoon doing play-by-play and Bobby Heenan and/or Jesse Ventura doing the color. As you can probably tell from my name, I loved them. Heenan and Ventura were heels, but they were incredible! Bobby was hilarious and Ventura was very smart. Even with him being a heel, he made a lot of sense of why the heels were right and the faces were wrong--also calling Monsoon on his hypocrisy, which I came to see more of, watching again as an adult. But, their chemistry was great and I loved them.

But, occasionally, there would be someone like Superstar Billy Graham who, in my opinion, was too jacked up to call the action. (He did SummerSlam '88 and the Warrior/Honky squash is a perfect example of him being too much...and that match was only a minute or so). I think Booker is from that mold and, back then, I would not have liked him.

Fast forward to today and I find Michael Cole incredibly lame. Yes, he has Vince in his ear and has all of this social media and everything else that announcers from yesteryear didn't have to deal with. I give him a pass for the hashtag garbage and the Network pushing of recent years. But, his calling of matches...he still--after 20 years--does not sound natural. My guys of Monsoon/Heenan/Ventura let the visuals speak for themselves and added points about current feuds, history, etc. Today, it seems like Cole has to explain every little nuance. (An example would be how Bret mentioned in his book that he wished Davey would make eye contact with him after their SummerSlam '92 match. Whether you are a Bret fan or not, he is right that those little things add to the story and the moment. And it wouldn't have had to be announced "Davey is looking into Bret's eyes" like I can picture Cole doing. The visual--this is TV, not radio--would have spoken for itself.) I think Cole does not come across as genuine or natural. Every single line feels premediated or brought to us by some sponsor. Yes, it's a different world now, but it isn't as different as he makes it seem. There is still room for good announcing.

My point is, when announcing was in its heyday, Booker would have been too much for me. But now, with announcing being at a low point, Booker brings a little bit of comedy--and silliness, sometimes nonsense--to a broadcast in desperate need of help. We went from solid announce teams, to half solid/half silly(for the most part..and the silly was funny) with JR and King, to garbage with Cole. So, when the announcing is brutal, might as well throw in some Booker T flavor to spice things up a little bit.

"SUPERMAN PUNCH!!!" Ugh, shut up, Cole!

I don't particularly like Booker, but I like the type of commentary he brings. Super analytical commentators bore me to death. I don't need a robot. I grew up with guys like Heenan calling the action, and it was great. I have never understood the idea of funny color guys distracting from what is going on. That's garbage. It's entertainment, so be entertaining.

My point is, when announcing was in its heyday, Booker would have been too much for me. But now, with announcing being at a low point, Booker brings a little bit of comedy--and silliness, sometimes nonsense--to a broadcast in desperate need of help. We went from solid announce teams, to half solid/half silly(for the most part..and the silly was funny) with JR and King, to garbage with Cole. So, when the announcing is brutal, might as well throw in some Booker T flavor to spice things up a little bit.

I guess this goes to show how the standards have dropped in commentary in recent years.

I didn't grow up watching Wrestling in the late 80's or early 90's but when I would watch these shows and without the benefit of nostalgia Heenan, Ventura, and Monsoon were excellent and commentary and the quality of commentary in the main roster right now aren't even on the same planet.

And I guess you softening and being less critical of Booker T just shows how bad the commentary has gotten in recent years.

Booker T is still pretty bad but he stands among the entire commentary team because everyone else are generic corporate parrots.

Even Corey Graves and Tom Phillips both are actually good at NXT they have the youth, enthusiasm, and personality but once they are in the main roster all of that is stripped away being just another Michael Cole.

Actually it's funny that happened to Michael Cole as well. Sure he is no Jim Ross but when he was the lead commentator in Smackdown he was actually really good. But once he was moved to RAW he would become another parrot. Saying the same things and company line over and over again.

Actually it's funny that happened to Michael Cole as well. Sure he is no Jim Ross but when he was the lead commentator in Smackdown he was actually really good. But once he was moved to RAW he would become another parrot. Saying the same things and company line over and over again.

That's fair. I have always been a Raw guy more than a Smackdown guy; so, this may very well be true. I TRY to distinguish between the on-air nuisance that is Cole from the guy who may actually be good, but is being handcuffed by the powers that be. But, like you said, the announcing as a whole is so bad, I am at a point where a previously unacceptable Booker T is ok because I am so desperate for anything better than the current announce presentation. I'm just glad I have the Network now--good announcing is a click away. Haha

So I guess my question is, do you agree with Russo? Is Booker the only person on commentary who has a stand out personality, or do you think that his style is too erratic?
Unfortunately, I find myself agreeing with Russo. Other than Michael Cole, Booker is the only announcer anyone really knows. Everyone else, Graves included, is vanilla and boring. Mauro needs to be on one of the main shows, and I know many would agree.

Sure, Booker isn't some polishes, perfect professional, but he's entertaining and engages with the audience, and that's what really matters.

Well first of all, I don't agree with the idea that Booker is the only commentator who stands out as Graves ranges somewhere between interesting and entertaining almost every week. Saxton and Phillips are interchangeable and Cole is Cole but Booker is far from the only standout.

As for Booker, yeah he's a bit annoying at times but he's also a six time World Champion and one of the most accomplished wrestlers of all time. It means something to have an experienced, successful wrestler on commentary. What is the biggest criticism of Percy Watson in NXT? He's never done anything. That's not the case with Booker, who has won a stack of titles in WWE, including a pair of World Titles. He has a resume and people are going to care about his opinion because of all of his successes. Booker is a fine choice for a commentator and much better than some other guy who might have been on NXT for a few months six years ago.

Booker is a decent commentator. Not great but also not bad.

His best quality is his uniqueness. While Corey Graves, Tom Phillips, and Michael Cole all have a similar voice, Booker sounds different.

Also he sounds real, if that makes any sense. Cole sounds like and robot. Just listen to how he says Superman Punch the same way every single time. Of course a lot of that is on Vince.

There are some negatives. He sometimes make no sense and flip flops between heel and face. He's kinda like Andy Dalton. Not great but worth keeping and better than alternatives.

Booker T may not be a great commentator, but he does stand out.
I think it was two weeks ago in SD live thzt KO said something like he could put Tom Philips and Bayron Saxton in one suit since they both sound exactly the same and can't find the difference. I agreed with him completely.

I think that only Graves and Booker T stand out and sound completely organic with their own personality and not parrots that repeat everything exactly like Vince wants.

"SUPERMAN PUNCH!!!" Ugh, shut up, Cole!
Exactly man, exactly.

As others have mentioned he's no Heenan, Ventura or even Lawler level colour commentators but he's about the best we have at the moment, Commentary has never been the same, The announcers today are ok they get the job done but its nothing special and very forgetable and come across to me as too scripted, I believe Paul Heyman is quite underrated as a heel commentator or even bring back guys like Jim Cornette he's never short of things to say or Michael Hayes.

Although his commentary has improved tremendously compared to when he first started on Smackdown, it is still pretty bad. Basically, it's a bunch of nonsense string together. I'm not entertained or impressed by his commentary. The only other commentator that I dislike more than him in recent time is JBL. At the moment: Everyone > Booker > JBL.

I think he is the least robotic, and due to that he makes more mistakes. I don't hate him though, I think he is something a three man booth needs. If you have two guys just reading scripts or repeating lines from Vince in their ear, you need a guy who is a bit free wheeling. Cole isn't as bad as people make him out to be, just watch the UK Tournament to see what he is capable of without someone telling him to yell out the names of signature moves and plug social media, but he and Graves need someone off script from time to time to keep them in check, no matter how good Graves is.

Plus, who could not love Booker saying "Looking real jacked baby!"

Give Renee young a chance at the tableband I think that she would be more than a pretty face.

For those that remember her on Canadian TV from the post wwe talk shows. I thjink she would be amazing at the table full time.

Apparently Renee Young wasn't very good at commentary when she tried on NXT and has no desire to try again.

On topic, Booker T is an entertaining color commentary guy. Not the best, but in the age of crap commentators where Vince is in over-producing in everyone's headsets, he stands out as better than he really is.

CM Punk and Mick Foley were much better in the same role, but at least Booker is much better than JBL was in his final run. Good grief did JBL suck in his last run, he was cringe-worthy.

I'm a Booker T fan, King Booker all that. Legit bad a**. Hell still even watch some King Booker stuff still funny. But Booker the commentator, I never liked. It's not for everyone and that's ok. Not his thing.

Booker's commentary can be cringe-worthy at times. "Shucky ducky quack quack" is one of the most abysmally stupid things anyone has ever said on a WWE show. He does say some funny things from time to time and I do prefer the former wrestlers on commentary. It means more to hear their thoughts on what's going on in the ring since they've been there. Booker's a former multi time World Champion. Regardless of some of the stupid things he says, his opinion matters more than most of the others on commentary. Graves is my favorite of the current main roster commentators. Now that I stop and think about it, Booker might honestly be my 2nd favorite after Graves. Mainly due to Mauro being on NXT instead of the main roster. He's certainly better than Cole who's horrible, and unlike Saxton or Phillips at least Booker has a personality.

Booker T on commentary is great if he stays on one side....that's my only issue with him. he's more of a tweener commentator. sometimes he takes the face's side, then sometimes he'll take the heel's side.

Other than that, he's actually improved from what he was (shucky ducky, quack quack was SO stupid). he now sticks to the story they are discussing and calls a match and while he'll say off the wall stuff that heel announcers say, he at least does it well.

I started watching in 1996 and mostly everyone on commentary stood out to me...Tony Schiavonne, Lawler, JR,....then as the new millenium came I always thought Jerry Lawler/Cole and Taz/Cole were good combinations on Smackdown as Cole was the "dork" and Jerry/Taz was the smart-mouthed guy picking on him half the time during commentary. I always enjoyed Taz, JBL, and even Coach as well. And I sure do love Booker's commentary...here's some of my favorite lines from him:

1. In the R-Truth/Miz VS. Rock/Cena match from Survivor Series 2011 Truth started doing his dance before doing that split leg drop on Cena then Booker went "Aahh look at dat boy get wicked! Look at dat boy get wicked!!"

2. On RAW in late 2013 or early 2014 during a New Age Outlaws tag match Road Dogg started doing his moves and Booker said "Awww look at that shimmy he doin that shimmy!"

3. On Smackdown a few years ago Wade Barrett ran in after a match ended and started attacking somebody and Booker said "What chu talkin bout Cole back in the streets dis is what we call getting jacked!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back