Bob Backlund: Worthy or Not?

Does Bob Backlund deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?

• Yes. He was a great Champion.

• No. His legacy is barely rememberable.

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
Boblowres-1.jpg

Robert Lee "Bob" Backlund (born August 14, 1949), is an American professional wrestler and actor with an in ring career that spanned over 30 years. Over that time, he went on to become a two-time WWF Champion (his first being in the then-World Wide Wrestling Federation).

Backlund was also an accomplished amateur wrestler wrestling for the North Dakota State University Bison in the late 1960s to early 1970s. Backlund continues to work in the pro wrestling business in various capacities. In 2000, Backlund unsuccessfully ran for a Connecticut seat in Congress on a Republican ticket.

In early 1977, Backlund signed with Vincent J. McMahon’s World Wide Wrestling Federation. Backlund was managed by “the Golden Boy” Arnold Skaaland early on. Less than 4 months into his run with the WWWF, Backlund received his first shot at the WWWF Champion against "Superstar" Billy Graham where he lost by countout. Over the course of 1977, Backlund received additional shots at the champion where his fortunes started to change; they first went to a double countout and later Backlund defeated Graham, but only by countout. On February 20, 1978 at the famous Madison Square Garden, Backlund finally got the elusive pinfall victory over Billy Graham that earned Backlund his WWWF Title. Backlund won the match despite Graham’s leg being on the rope during the pinfall.

Only days after winning the WWWF gold, Backlund clashed with the NWA World Heavyweight Champion Harley Race in a rare “WWWF vs. NWA” title match. Neither title changed hands as the two fought to a time limit draw. Defending against other champions became a recurring theme in Backlund’s run with the title as he faced both the AWA and the NWA World Champion in highly publicized matches. Backlund would also take on and defeat the Florida Champion Don Muraco and "International Champion" Billy Robinson.

On August 9, 1980, Backlund teamed with Pedro Morales to capture the WWF World Tag Team Championship from The Wild Samoans at Showdown at Shea. Backlund and Morales were forced to vacate the title due to a then-extant WWF rule stating that no one can hold two championships at the same time.

While World Wrestling Entertainment officially recognizes Bob Backlund’s first WWWF/WWF Title reign to be from February 20, 1978 until December 26, 1983 there is at least one instance where Backlund was defeated in the ring for the title and one instance where the title was “held up” after a match.
The first instance saw NWF Champion Antonio Inoki pin Bob Backlund in a match in Tokushima, Japan on November 30, 1979 to win the title. Inoki was then billed as both NWF and WWF Champion in subsequent matches. On December 6, Inoki and Backlund fought over the WWF title once again; this time, Backlund pinned Inoki but had the result thrown out by WWF president Hisashi Shinma due to outside interference. After the match, Inoki refused to accept the WWF title back and Backlund appeared in the United States days later as the WWF Champion, with no official announcement of the title change ever being acknowledged by the WWF.

It is also claimed by some sources that because Backlund’s WWF Title was held up after a match against Greg Valentine on October 19, 1981 when a dazed referee "accidentally" gave the title belt to Valentine (storyline) that it constituted an “interruption” of Backlund’s title reign. Arguments against this constituting a break in the lineage is supported by the fact that Backlund was billed as the WWF Champion in other cities in the days following the "controversy". In the early part of the 1980s where no federation had national television deals, it was not an uncommon practice to “hold up” the title in one area to build interest in a rematch that the champion would win while ignoring this fact in other parts of the territory. On November 23, Backlund pinned Valentine for the "Vacant in New York only" WWF title.

After having been popular with the fans from early on, by the final months of his title reign, many fans had grown weary of "Howdy Doody", as the Grand Wizard had dubbed Backlund; this was illustrated by the fact that he was picked as the Wrestling Observer Newsletter's Most Overrated Wrestler in 1983. Additionally, Vincent K. McMahon, who had taken over his father's wrestling promotion, wanted to put the title on the more charismatic and muscular Hulk Hogan. The younger McMahon approached Backlund and said that Hogan was the man that would take the WWF to the next level.

McMahon initially wanted Backlund to turn heel and lose to Hogan outright, but when Backlund refused, they consequently needed a transitional champion to serve between Backlund and Hogan. On December 26, 1983, Backlund, recently "injured" in a TV angle where The Iron Sheik assaulted Backlund with his Persian Clubs, lost the title to the Sheik when Backlund's manager Arnold Skaaland threw in the towel while Backlund was locked in the Camel Clutch. Backlund was not defeated via pinfall or submission, as Skaaland's actions caused the title change. Because Backlund was declared "injured", he was denied an automatic rematch with the Iron Sheik, and instead Hulk Hogan was given a match, and became the new Champion. Backlund continued to work for the WWF for a while after the title change but never saw a shot at the title he held for so many years. On August 4, 1984, Backlund defeated Salvatore Bellomo in his last WWF match for 8 years.

After leaving the WWF Backlund had a run in the short-lived Pro Wrestling USA, which was a joint promotion between the NWA and the American Wrestling Association (AWA) to combat the national expansion of the WWF. In Pro Wrestling USA, Backlund unsuccessfully challenged AWA Champion Rick Martel but soon dropped off the pro wrestling scene. Backlund was believed to have permanently retired from wrestling but made a surprise return in 1991 where he began to work for Herb Abrams' short-lived UWF. He made an appearance at "Beach Brawl", the promotion’s only pay-per-view event, where he defeated Ivan Koloff. Backlund would also appear for the short lived Japanese promotion UWF, engaging in a memorable series of matches with Nobuhiko Takada.

In 1992, Backlund returned to the WWF, which was very different from what he had left nearly a decade earlier. In his absence, the company had expanded to become an international wrestling promotion mainly because of the colorful wrestlers of the "Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection" era that Hulk Hogan ushered in 8 years prior. Backlund, whose persona remained the same as it was in his heyday, seemed to be out of step with the evolution of the WWF. Many fans did not even remember him, as he had left just prior to Vince McMahon's national expansion. His initial period in the WWF was largely uneventful with Backlund working mid-card matches; however, it was highlighted by his performance at the 1993 Royal Rumble, in which he lasted sixty-one minutes and ten seconds, a record that would not be broken until 2004 (by Chris Benoit). Backlund's first appearance at a WrestleMania event, at WrestleMania IX, consisted of a quick match, which he lost to Razor Ramon.

On the July 28, 1994 edition of Superstars, Backlund took part in what was billed as an "old generation vs. new generation" match with Bret Hart, with Hart's WWF Championship on the line. Over a number of weeks, viewers of were treated to vignettes of Backlund working out and training for his match with Hart. Hart won the match, after Backlund misconceived his own victory and helped Bret to his feet, but afterwards Backlund "snapped", slapping Hart in the face and placing him in the crossface chickenwing submission hold, laughing hysterically. When he finally released the hold, Backlund stared at his hands in shock. Soon afterwards Backlund would start to suddenly snap during a match, go into a blind rage, and would viciously attack his opponent with a crossface chickenwing. Afterward, Backlund would seemingly snap out of his trance and be horrified by what he had done (this of course was all kayfabe).

Shortly after his match with Hart, on an episode of Monday Night Raw, a changed Backlund explained that he should still be considered the legitimate WWF Champion, as the Iron Sheik had never pinned him, nor had he submitted to the camel clutch. Backlund continued wrestling under the new gimmick of an out of touch, yet highly dangerous, maniac out to teach the new generation a lesson. He often appeared in business suits, had a hyperactive personality, and used (or, often, misused) large words to sound important. He also demanded that he be addressed as Mr. Backlund. He would only sign autographs for wrestling fans if they could recite the names of all of the U.S. Presidents in chronological order. On several instances, he attacked wrestlers and other WWF employees and placed them in the crossface chickenwing. These victims included Duke "The Dumpster" Droese, WWF Magazine writer Lou Gianfriddo, and his former manager Arnold Skaaland, whom he blamed for costing him the WWF Title eleven years earlier.
On November 23, 1994 at the Survivor Series pay-per-view in San Antonio, Texas, Backlund faced Bret Hart in a "Throw in the Towel" submission match for the WWF Championship, with Bret's brother Owen Hart in Backlund's corner (carrying what Backlund claimed to be the same towel Skaaland threw into the ring in 1983) and The British Bulldog in Hart's. The object of the match was to place your opponent in a submission hold and make his cornerman throw in the towel. Late in the match, Backlund took advantage of a mistake by Hart and locked the crossface chickenwing in. Hart was locked in the hold for an unheard of eight-and-a-half minutes, but refused to give up. Finally, Owen went over to his mother Helen, who was at ringside, and pleaded (not meaning it) with her to throw Bret's towel in (Bulldog had become incapacitated during the course of the match). After several minutes, Helen Hart threw the towel in, giving the match and the championship to Backlund. The match is also notable due to its 35-minute length and display of outstanding mat wrestling from both men.

Backlund's second reign as WWF Champion was short-lived, however, as he lost the title on November 26 to Diesel at Madison Square Garden, home of many of Backlund's victories in the 1970s and 1980s. This match stands as the quickest World Title match as the towering Diesel simply kicked Backlund in the stomach and hit him with a Jackknife Powerbomb, pinning him a mere eight seconds after the bell rang. For weeks afterwards, fans jeered Backlund with chants of "Eight seconds! Eight seconds!" In a 2005 interview for the Pro Wrestling Torch, Nash fondly remembered how Backlund sold his Jackknife Powerbomb by crawling up the aisleway back to the dressing room area of the Garden. Nash said, "He couldn't have put me over any stronger." This match, in addition to being the quickest WWF Championship match ever, was also the last time that the WWF Championship changed hands at a non-televised event.

After the title loss Backlund started to work less and less, never again reaching main event status. His final noteworthy WWF match was an "I Quit" match against Bret Hart at WrestleMania XI on April 2, 1995. He lost, though many viewers have noted that Backlund never actually said, "I quit." He screamed unintelligibly into the microphone, which special guest referee Roddy Piper seemed to interpret as "I quit."

Following WrestleMania, the WWF ran an angle where Backlund declared his candidacy for President of the United States. Several vignettes were shown on television, including one depicting Backlund campaigning at a beach. However, this angle was dropped without fanfare, possibly due to lack of fan interest and because the U.S. presidential election would not be held for another year and a half.

For a brief time in 1996 and 1997, Backlund joined forces with his old nemesis the Iron Sheik to manage The Sultan in the WWF.

He later returned to wrestle in the 2000 Royal Rumble. After that, he briefly became manager for the then-Intercontinental and European Champion Kurt Angle. During his run, he taught his crossface chickenwing submission hold to Angle, but later on, Angle fired Backlund and gave Backlund a crossface chickenwing after discovering that Backlund booked Angle in a two-fall Triple Threat match with Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho, with both of his titles on the line, at WrestleMania 2000.

Possibly inspired by his fake presidential candidacy in 1995, Backlund also unsuccessfully ran for a Connecticut seat in Congress as a Republican in 2000. He went on to operate a bail bond company in Connecticut. His list of accomplishments and Championships (according to Wiki) are as follows:

Championship Wrestling from Florida
NWA Florida Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Steve Keirn

Georgia Championship Wrestling
NWA Georgia Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Jack Brisco

NWA Western States Sports
NWA Western States Heavyweight Championship (3 times)

Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Match of the Year (1978) vs. Billy Graham on February 20
PWI Match of the Year (1982) vs. Jimmy Snuka in a cage match on June 28
PWI Most Hated Wrestler of the Year (1994)
PWI Most Inspirational Wrestler of the Year (1977)
PWI Most Inspirational Wrestler of the Year (1981)
PWI Rookie of the Year (1976)
PWI Wrestler of the Year (1980)
PWI Wrestler of the Year (1982)
PWI ranked him # 7 of the 500 best singles wrestlers of the "PWI Years" in 2003.
Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum
Modern Era (Class of 2008)

St. Louis Wrestling Club
NWA Missouri Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

World Wide Wrestling Federation | World Wrestling Federation
WWF Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Pedro Morales
WWWF/WWF Championship (2 times)

Wrestle Association R
WAR World Six-Man Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Scott Putski and The Warlord

Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
Best Technical Wrestler (1980)
Match of the Year (1980) vs. Ken Patera in a Texas Death match on May 19 in New York City, New York
Most Overrated Wrestler (1983)
Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 2004)

Bob Backlund: This is a case of I'm still too young, to know the legend that was Bob Backlund. When I came into loving the Wrestling industry, it was well after Backlund had first left the company. Hell, his last match in 1984 was when I was just a bit over 2 years old, so I wouldn't of even knew of this Championship glory.

That doesn't mean I can't learn, and don't have the ability to watch older footage though, and thus, here we are. Like most of the rest of you, I don't expect you to have lived the real-life experiences that was Bob Backlund's original glory, but instead know him through footage which is a similar thing.

I would honestly induct Bob Backlund because from his original run as Heavyweight Champion, he only lost due to a towel being thrown in. Of course in today's promotion that would still stand as being the end of a match if a manager did it, however more often than not I'm sure had the towel not of been thrown in, he likely would've passed out which would've drew an end and title change anyhow.

The Backlund I knew was the crazy guy that won the title off Bret Hart in a similar manner to which he lost the title, ironically enough. For that reason, because of the age he was, I'd even still believe he should be inducted because of the accomplishment he seemingly made by overcoming his own age. What are your thoughts and opinions on Bob Backlund being a Hall of Fame inductee? Worthy or Not?

I'd say yes again. Backlund is boarderline as well in that as you said, most fans of today remember him as being the crazy guy that wanted to be President and beat Hart then lost to Diesel in 8 seconds 2 days later. I've watched some of Backlund's old stuff and it takes some getting used to. People today would be bored out of their minds watching himm, but once you start to appreciate evertyhing he did, you get why he was champion for so long. To have won the title in his mid to late 40s again after not having wrestled in so long is a truly remarkable thing. He was champion about four years which is amazing in its own right, so I'd say yes, but not by a lot.

I say yes and by a lot. Backland was champ when I first started watching wrestling in 81. he was the hero of me and all my friends. His popularity in the WWF was rivaled only by Andre. As stated, he held the title for 5 years, defeated all the top heels of the day including Stan Hansan, Greg Valentine, Don Muraco, George Steele, Billy Graham, Ernie Ladd, Jimmy Snuka and even a heel Hulk Hogan. He wrestled in title vs title matches against such greats as Nick Bockwinkle, Harley Race and Ric Flair.

While it is true his style may not make todays fans jump for joy the same could be said for old Flair, Bockwinkle, Valentine, Gagne and Johnson matches. All these men are in the hall.

Backland is more then deserving.

The only person I would say deserves to be in the WWE Hall of Fame more then Bob Backlund is Randy Savage, but that's it.

Bob Backlund was an incredible worker, extremely charismatic, had good mic skills, was always over whether he was playing face or heel, and not to mention, WWE Champion for almost SIX fucking years. If that's not Hall of Fame worthy, then what is?

And also, the guy, now over sixty years old, is still in great shape and could easily still entertain the fans both character and in-ring wise. He proved that with his stint in TNA. There aren't many in the business who have been able to stay in as great shape as Backlund has at the age of sixty and he deserves a lot of credit for that.

I will say yes, and I am kind of surprised he isn't in the hall of fame yet. Really, this guy should be in it either this year or next. He is an incredible man, with a uniqueness behind him that you will never find in any other wrestler. The man was champion for years in the WWE, and as far as I have heard, a very great guy. I actually set out to remember the name of all the US Presidents just to get his autograph if I ever meet him. What more can be said about him, he is more deserving than many people in the Hall of Fame, so he should be in there. Make it happen Vince.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back