Black Panther Review

Discussion in 'The Bar Room' started by SSJPhenom, Feb 18, 2018.

1. SSJPhenom

SSJPhenom The Phenom of WZ

Finally got to watch Black Panther and, as per usual with a Marvel film, it was fantastic. One of the best Marvel stand alone films to date. I'm not going to talk about all the political rhetoric surrounding this film because I think that stuff shouldn't make a difference in the quality of films. For the record, though, Blade was the first black super hero franchise. Just saying.

Back to the film; the acting was amazing, the story was outstanding, the CGI was meh, but overall it is a great film in the upper echelon of the MCU. The new characters that were introduced were all amazing. Man Ape was great, Panther's sister in this film was amazing, it's just great all around. What I really want to talk about, though, is Michael B. Jordan as Killmonger. I think Loki has finally been over taken as the overall best Marvel villain. Killmonger was so nuanced and layered. His overall philosophy was one that I could understand and get behind but he just went about achieving his goals the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, he was evil, but one could sympathize and empathize with him. He was great.

I'd give this movie a 9/10 if I were rating it. As anyone else seen it? If so, what did you think?

2. A11oftheLights

A11oftheLights Getting Noticed By Management

I dont know if I've seen it. Does it follow the same formula all the other marvel films follow?

3. SSJPhenom

Not really to be honest. There's death and stakes in this one.

4. A11oftheLights

Stakes? How were there not stakes in any of the other films
    And more importantly, if there are no stakes in the other films why the fuck are they any good?

5. Rainbow Yaz

Rainbow Yaz Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
    E-Fed Mod

I couldn’t see it. There was a mob of black folk outside my theater and were demanding no white person be allowed to see the film.

6. Y 2 Jake

Y 2 Jake Slightly Autistic

It's still a Marvel film through and through.

7. A11oftheLights

So i have seen it then

I want to believe this is a joke but with the absolute shit that happens these days I cant be so sure

8. Y 2 Jake

You've seen it 18 times. This is just in black.

9. SSJPhenom

You know what I mean. It's been a complaint on Marvel films for many many years that there are no stakes and that usually none of the good guys die or often times not even the bad guys die. You think Civil War had stakes? Don't get me wrong, I love Civil War but did it have stakes? Like such and such could be killed? No it didn't. Hell, them breaking up like they did in Civil War isn't even a big deal because they're coming right back together. The only Marvel films that have really had stakes have been Avengers, Age of Ultron, and probably Winter Soldier as far as major stakes go.

Well this movie, in that aspect, was different. Does it have the Marvel jokes and such? Of course it does, but as much as it is a Marvel film it is very different from the Iron Mans, Captain Americas, etc of the world. This one isn't just another carbon copy of Iron Man like Ant Man and Dr. Strange were. It's not another carbon copy of Capt or Thor either. It had great character arcs and a great bad guy. IMO the best bad guy from any Marvel film. I know that's not saying much because there have only been three memorable bad guys from Marvel films in Loki, Vulture, and now Killmonger.

So does it have similarities with the other films in the MCU? Of course, they're from the same studio with the same executive producer for them all, but does it also have it's own theme, story, and what not that's separate from the MCU? It does. Can you say something like, "Well I've seen the others so I've seen this one?" I don't think so. So if you're tired of how Marvel films are made or the Marvel film jokes and quips, then stop watching them cause that's never going to change. These Marvel films are like a TV show. Each new film is another episode of the show. The episodes are made similar to one another but they have their own stories, characters, and themes. I never understood the argument that all the Marvel films are too much a like. Now all the Transformer films are all alike, all the Pirates films are the same, but the Marvel films aren't that close to one another. Of course besides the quips and jokes.

10. Y 2 Jake

They're all very similar.

11. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Rear Naked Bloke

Some are more rote than others. People will remember Guardians of the Galaxy in ten years time. Black Panther is Iron Man with some audacity.

12. A11oftheLights

I'll give you civil war not having stakes but people dying does not equal stakes.

As much as you can say that they are an episode each has a different director and if a television series followed the same formula each week they would be criticised. The Arrowverse (The Flash especacially) has been criticised consistently for having a villain of the week, barry learning a new skill, repeat. Seeing that this follows the formula doesnt mean I'm not going to watch it, it just means that I'll wait to download. Yeah thats illegal but this film isnt going to struggle to make cash is it

13. SSJPhenom

No it's not. It's already breaking records.

14. Fire Marshall Bill

Fire Marshall Bill Let me show ya somethin!!!

It wasn’t bad. I was certainly expecting better. I do understand people’s love for the villain though.

15. Rainbow Yaz

E-Fed Mod

I probably won't get to see it anytime soon. There was a local movement to buy up all advanced tickets by the African American community and distribute them among themselves to keep non blacks from seeing the film. It is sold out for the next two weeks currently.

16. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
    Staff Member Super Moderator E-Fed Mod

Yeah it's weird that people are saying "breaking box offices" when this has happened a few places and celebrities have been buying tickets to take kids (1,000 tickets here and there) http://www.vh1.com/news/349473/celebrities-sending-kids-to-black-panther/

17. SSJPhenom

Well that hasn't been my experience. My 2 showings we're packed with all kinds of people in the theatre. Waited in line the second time for over 20 min. That's because I came right out of my first showing, seen some friends in line, and was invited to watch it with them.

18. Lee

Of course it's not your experience, you're banned from spending time with kids.

Spidey likes this.
  19. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

What economic paradise do you live in that people have the disposable income to buy out weeks worth of movie tickets?

20. Lee

There's go fund me's out there for this very reason.

21. Rainbow Yaz

E-Fed Mod

Yeah, it was some sort of crowdfunding thing.

22. BaconBits

BaconBits WZ Czar of Steaks

There's a such a circle jerk over what amounts to Just Another Marvel Movie.

23. Pay Per Ghost

Pay Per Ghost squashed Disco Inferno to become

To be honest, kinda stale for most parts.

24. Hard Hit Prince

Hard Hit Prince Not really working as a

I absolutely loved it and I don't care what people say. Winter Soldier is #1 for me, but Black Panther is a close 2.

25. Stone Cold Tea

Stone Cold Tea Getting Noticed By Management

Wow America is all sorts of fucked up.