Better use for Joe Hennig

Funkydr79

Occasional Pre-Show
Like a lot of other posters on the WZ forums I am dissappointed that they have taken the tact of not having superstars use their family history with the business. Specifically Windham Rotunda (Husky Harris) and Joe Hennig (Mike McGuillicutty).

The one perfect for TV storyline they have not picked up on is having a program between Ziggler and McGuillicutty. In so many ways, Ziggler is a Curt Hennig Ripoff. The same hair, similar in ring style, and the obvious he refers to himself as "Perfection." His song and shirt both start with the phrase "I am Perfection."

You could easily turn McGuillicutty face and have him come out and do a promo saying that it's a slap in the face to his father for someone like Ziggler to come out and refer to himself as perfection when he is "nowhere near the level of my father." You could also have a good moment with Larry "The Axe" and have him come out and cut a similar promo.

The whole thing would even still work if you wanted to have Ziggler as a face and Joe Hennig as the heel.

This just seems like something simple and straightforward that works.

Why do they have to feed off their parent's legacy? Why can't someone want to just start from their own legacy? McGuillicutty is doing a terrific job putting himself over as a tag competitor with Otunga. Besides, I'd rather not relive an early stage Randy Orton or another Legacy... sure Rhodes and Dibiase are together again now, but this time they're together as coach and student instead of "Next gen competitors".

Seriously, the whole next gen superstar is annoying. I prefer seeing them come out and make a name for themselves. I mean look at Sim Snuka. He had a promising career in Deuce and Domino (with a little bit of Cherry on top) but now he's nowhere to be found. Why is that? Because they stuck him with a lame second generation gimmick and killed all his credibility.

McGuillicutty is fine where he's at as the name he's got... and Ziggler fits the mold as a Curt Hennig mach 2 way better than Hennig did. Have you seen his FCW run in Fortunate Sons? It sucked.

No thank you, Hennig has been doing great these past few weeks with Otounga and they have been looking like they're going to be a great tag team. I wouldn't split them up simply because they're one of 2 or 3 tag teams in the division so splitting them up would be taking away a tag team from the currently dying tag team which looks like The Usos and Otounga and Hennig are going to make atleast relevant.

The only problem with the OP's theory is that Hennig/McGuillicutty is horrible on the mic and kind of sucks in the ring. He is simply bland. He has a decent look but that's it.

He doesn't have the charisma or wrestling ability to pull his father's gimmick off, simply put. You can say that he can learn and get better or he hasn't been given the chance. He was in development for a long time and he still has no presence in the ring or on the mic, which means he can't really be helped. He had his chance to talk on NXT and he blew it, do I have to post the meme made out of one of his promos? There's a reason he's been kept off the mic his entire time in New Nexus, when Otunga and even Mason Ryan got time once in a while.

Plus the feud you mentioned would be a way to get Hennig over instead of getting Ziggler over, when Ziggler is miles better than Hennig could hope to be and is much more deserving to go over.

why do people continue to blame WWE for not referencing joe as perfects son or even letting him use the hennig name when in fact it was joes decision to downplay who is father is and the mcgillicutty name was his idea because he wants to make his own name in wrestling and not be compared to his dad and i think thats great.
Both he and otunga have been great as of late and keeping them together and keeping the titles on them would be a smart a move. I look forward to seeing more of their work.

I don't really see the Mr. Perfect / Dolph Ziggler comparisons, personally. I think most people hear the word "perfection" and see the blonde hair and just tie the two together. Now, if Ziggler started coming out holding a towel, or he was shooting promos where he kept getting all net on basketball shots or something, then sure, but right now his gimmick is that of a cock-sure but still really talented douchebag who hides behind Vickie. I don't really remember Perfect being in that kind of position.

As for McGillicutty, I think they can do much more with him in a way that doesn't require any real effort. The "Michael McGillicutty" name is fucking ridiculous, especially since they continually talk about him being a Hennig. I understand that WWE wants to control the naming rights to their performers but they couldn't have thought of anything better? Fuck, as stupid as it sounds off hand, "Joe Perfect" would have even been a better name!

When it comes to what they could use him for, I think they're actually giving him too much right now than he deserves. Joe's really lacking in charisma and doesn't seem to be over at all really. Otunga has some charisma and mic skills, Mason Ryan's got the look (and an injury lol), but McGillicutty really has nothing to bring to the table right now. I think their best bet would be to tag him up with someone like Tyson Kidd and try to just create a stable tag team that can wrestle on the backburner for now. Kidd isn't going to be pushed to the IC title on Smackdown any time soon, obviously, so even though you could see it as a step back for him, it would at least make him somewhat relevant. Plus, I think Joe/Kidd would have better chemistry together than Joe/Otunga. Otunga right now should either be tagging with someone that matches his A-List gimmick more (maybe bring someone up from developmental?)

The one perfect for TV storyline they have not picked up on is having a program between Ziggler and McGuillicutty. In so many ways, Ziggler is a Curt Hennig Ripoff. The same hair, similar in ring style, and the obvious he refers to himself as "Perfection." His song and shirt both start with the phrase "I am Perfection."

You could easily turn McGuillicutty face and have him come out and do a promo saying that it's a slap in the face to his father for someone like Ziggler to come out and refer to himself as perfection when he is "nowhere near the level of my father." You could also have a good moment with Larry "The Axe" and have him come out and cut a similar promo.

The whole thing would even still work if you wanted to have Ziggler as a face and Joe Hennig as the heel.

This just seems like something simple and straightforward that works.

THANK YOU! I've been saying that ever since I first saw Ziggler use that phrase!

I'd even be happy to see Joe Hennig (No, I won't call him Michael McGuillicutty) pick up the Mr. Perfect gimmick as his own. Maybe he's not his father, yet, but there's no harm or shame, or spoiling of his father's legacy involved in Joe Hennig becoming the 2nd Mr. Perfect. And I'll say the same thing of Ted DiBiase jr picking up the Million Dollar Man gimmick either, though I don't think there's a need for him to do it.

I still don't understand why Husky Harris and Ted DiBiase Jr. aren't tag team champions right now.

Back to Hennig though, I liked the trunks that he used to use while he was in FCW. It wasn't the singlet his father wore, but it evoked that same response looking at him, you just KNEW he was the son of Mr. Perfect. He's not going to escape or make a name for himself like some other guys like Randy Orton have done, his best chance is to pick up where his father left off and do him proud by being an ever better Mr. Perfect than his father, just maybe, he can do it too. His father got screwed by this business, both by bad booking and bad luck with injuries. There's no reason Joe can't rectify that by being Mr. Perfect and some years from now getting the world title.

Right now however I'd like to see Ezekiel Jackson drop the Intercontinental Championship to Hennig.

The answer is simple, he's not Curt Hennig. I like Jo, but no way is he of the same calibur as his father on the mic & in the ring. To say the WWE didn't consider that is quite wrong. The expectations would have been too high for him, and he would have failed miserably. This Tag team he's in right now is dynamite, leave him where he is. Ziggler could never dream of being Mr. Perfect. Flairs' sons should not have taken his last name in the ring! Complete failure.

I'd prefer to see him as Joe Henning. To me, the name "McGuillicutty" just sounds ridiculous and it's hard to take him seriously. I think he's talented in the ring and has a decent personality...I'd like to see him have a serious tag team run with Otunga and get more over before he changes his gimmick though

i have said for a long long time ever sense micheal mcgillicutty was on NXT he should use his real name and fued with ziggler with this same exact idea not saying i created the idea but to the original poster...try 2 b a little more original next time but this would be good and much better then him teaming with otunga (although they do make a good team)

will people please stop saying that WWE should let him use the name hennig!

It was completely 100% his decision not to use that name because he did not want to be compared to his father! he did a interview shortly before debuting on NXT where he talked about how he wants to make his own waves in wrestling and if he used the hennig name he would constantly be compared to his father so i can totally understand him not wanting to use it. And the McGuillicutty name was his choice also. Look up the interview if you guys dont believe me.

will people please stop saying that WWE should let him use the name hennig!

It was completely 100% his decision not to use that name because he did not want to be compared to his father!

Guess what? It failed.

I think the worst thing he could have done was to try and hide the fact that he's his dad's son. I don't compared Randy Orton to his dad, Ted DiBiase to his, etc. Only McGuillicuty to Hennig. And it's not even that bad of thing really. I WANT him to be the next Mr. Perfect, and he's the only guy who I'd really WANT to see use his father's gimmick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back