Best song: Metallica

CCS

Getting Noticed By Management
metallica-kerrang.jpg

The thread title explains it all. Which Metallica song is your favorite?

There's a lot of great songs to choose from here. Metallica is one of the greatest bands ever, and they tons of classic songs. I'm going to go with the obvious and say their best is "Enter the Sandman" For some reason the song always gets me pumped up and excited when I'm getting ready to workout. I usually listen too it every day while I'm working out. It's one of the few songs that I can listen to over and over again without getting tired of it. It's a true rock masterpeice.

"Fade To Black".

The song has everything musically, and is one of the easiest to connect to. For anyone that is a fan of Metallica, this song is one of those songs that can pick you up during the darkest days.

The opening is among the greatest in rock history, and the build-up to the solo and jam session works well. Bands from today can take a lesson from this song on how to write and perform a proper metal song.

"Emptiness is filling me...
...To the point of irony..."

Well NightShift, you have officially made me like you for that pick. I am also going to say the song Fade To Black. It is older than many people even on this forum including myself, and came out during that period some faces say that Metallica was still pure. It meant a lot to me a few years ago during a tough time in my life, I would play the song back to back over and over. The sogn was also covered by Disturbed and is a cover that I enjoy.

Reactions: NSL
My favorite of their's is played after their most famous song on the Black Album. I'm going to go with Sad But True. It was the song that turned me on to rock/metal music. I heard the drums and the guitar and I loved it instantly. It's not the most famous song by them but it's just all around greatness. The semi twist at the end always brings an evil smile to my face. Just a quintessential song that makes Metallica sound as awesome as ever.

Many good options to choose from... but my pick has to go to "Master of Puppets". Written in the "high time" for metal as a whole, this song pretty much defines everything that Metal is all about; you have a great riff, great drive & speed, plus a very cool middle part; so I'd say, while Metallica have written quite a number of great songs over the course of their career, "Master of Puppets" definitely sticks out as THE Met song for me.

Nothing Else Matters may be the most popular (but only "popular" because it is - strictly spoken - not really "Metal" anymore), then there's a couple of great songs on the Black Album but none of them really "defined" an era so much as "Master..." did back then; I guess you could also pick something off the older albums like "One"; "Harvester Of Sorrow" or "Creeping Death"... but all those songs don't quite cut it for me the way Master of Puppets does, hehe.

Their best song is easily One. And please don't go on about Guitar Hero, because I loved the song before then. Anyway, this song is what turned me onto a lot of Metallica's stuff. It has a great build up, from softer drums and a clean guitar, to heaps of distortion and heavier drums at the end, and one of the greatest solos ever imo. And the lyrics, about a soldier injured in the battlefield, and he just wants to die, are really powerful. A great all around song, that anyone can like.

Metallica is my all time favorite band. I've never heard a Metallica song I didn't like and my favorite album and song changes from week to week. If I sat down and really thought about it, I'd have to say their best song is Low Man's Lyric. Yep. It's an unbelieveably well written and musicall interesting song. It still gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it. I know, I know- it's not a metal song. So what? The fact that a band like Metallica can throw everything out the window and record a song like this is pretty fucking rock n' roll.

Got to go with "One". There is no Metallica song that will ever top that for me. The melody of the beginning, into the fantastic guitar solo by Kirk Hammett… the song is just spectacular. Also, and keep in mind this is coming from someone who hasn't heard every album from Metallica or anything close to it, I've never heard Lars Ulrich do a better job on drums like he did in this song, either.

So, “One” undoubtedly wins this for me, but I must say “Enter Sandman” will always hold a special place in my heart as well.

i like devils dance.its got this crazy classical music mixed with rock and roll kind of theme to it. its really nice,i used to like enter the sandman the best but i think it became overrated really fast.

Disposable Heroes. Not only is that my favourite Metallica song, but it's actually my favourite song of ALL TIME. Hard, heavy, and mainly because i've heard Master, Sanitarium and One to death.

There's several really good ones other than that of course, like 'House That Jack Built', 'Mama Said', 'Prince Charming', 'Slither', 'Phantom Lord', 'Metal Militia', Ride The Lightning etc etc

"Life planned out before me now,
Glory seeker trend,
Bodies fill the fields i see,
The slaughter never ends!"

Well, seeing as how the thread is titled "Best song" and not "favorite song" this makes it much more tricky to come to a conclusion but after thinking about it for a couple days, I'm going to have to go with Fade To Black, the song just showcases everything that is Metallica, it goes from being fairly mellow (by metal standards anyway) to completely kicking your ass, add to that the incredible thought provoking lyrics and you get what I think to be Metallica's best song overall

One is was a close second and is my favorite Metallica song, but the lack of bass on the song is what kept it from being the best IMO, (For those that don't know, when Jason first came into the band they hazed the shit out of him, and one of the things they did was turn his bass down real low on ...And Justice For All)

One.....no doubt about it for me. I love the slow start followed by the guitar comming in. You have lyrics start with a very slow pace then the drums kick in with heavier guitar for the chorus then back t slow again. Then halfway through the song you get a second guitar solo before business picks up as J.R. would say. This song to me is very special as it is not like most Metallica songs.

Plus the concept of the song goes very well with the lyrics...
The song's theme is based on Dalton Trumbo's 1939 novel Johnny Got His Gun. It is based on the story of a soldier whose body was severely damaged after he was hit by a German artillery shell during World War I. His arms, legs, eyes, mouth, nose and ears were gone and he could not see, speak, smell, or hear; but his mind functions perfectly, leaving him a prisoner in his own body.

This was hard, considering how many amazing songs they have. My top 5 change regularly, so I'll pick my two mainstays.

"The Outlaw Torn"

This song is about as epic as it gets, especially the S&M version. The simplistic guitar strums are perfectly complimented by the thudding bass, and both the guitar solo and chrous to this song remain in my top 5 of all time. It's also a contender for Hetfield's best vocal performance, both live and on record.

"Harvester of Sorrow"

Having seen this song played live on several different occasions, I feel justified in saying it's probably their most energetic song. The riff after the clean guitar intro is heavy, groovy and monstrous, which takes off into a heavy as fuck song with no flaws whatsoever. The chorus when Newsted used to yell "language of the maddddd.." still remains one favourite Metallica moment to this day.

When first seeing this my first thought was Enter Sandman which combines a Great into and looking a the lyrics it tells you a story while still keeping you interested with a very good sing-along factor .

However thinking of guitar hero I thought of "One" which Has Very good lyrics by James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich and it was the first Metallica song for which a music video was created.
but nether of these two are my favorite

My favorite is
Herooftheday.jpg

A lot of people I talk to about this track always say it’s too slow and boring, But I love songs that just break into hardcoreness. One review posted below.

Its songs like this which demonstrate the growth and maturity of the band. The first two minutes are generally slower and groovier, but they still manage to be extremely likeable without sounding dull or tedious. The lyrics are nicely arranged, with Hetfield speaking about a person searching for heroes on television and in music, but ignoring the real heroes in their everyday life. This message is quite clear in the music video for this track, which was filmed in black and white to give it an old 50’s style appearance.

The second half of this track is a ruthless montage of Metallica’s trademark rapid-fire guitars and ceaseless drumming, and is unquestionably some of the group’s most furious and uncompromising work in the last decade. My favorite part was the last lines, where Hetfield hauntingly chants, “Mama they try and break me…” over the surging background music. This is an unfaltering, aggressive, and fantastic track.​

Oh, man, this is hard! Hmmm, I'd have to say I have a 3-way tie here:

:headbanger:"Enter Sandman"

Not only is this song just AMAZING, some don't realize the meaning behind this song, about Crib Death (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crib_death). Anyway, I like this song because it just gets me pumped up!

"Hush little baby, don't say a word.
And never mind that noise you heard.
It's just the beast under your bed,
In your closet, in your head!
"

:headbanger:"Master of Puppets"

Who doesn't love a song about drugs? lol

"Obey your MASTER!
MASTER!
Master of puppets, I'm pulling your strings,
Twisting your mind, & smashing your dreams!
Blinded by me, you can't see a thing.
Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream,
'MASTER!
MASTER!'

:headbanger:"Seek & Destroy"

It doesn't get better than a song about one thing: KICKING ASS! The irony is, the song kicks your ass!

"We're scanning the scene in the city tonight.
We're looking for you to start up a fight.
There's an evil feelin' in our brains,
But it's something you, you know it drives us insane!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back