Best Short Title Reign

Hmm. Interesting thought. Of course, by interesting I mean totally stupid. The street fight prior to the scramble match was the blow-off to the feud between these two. After this, Jericho went into a short program with Batista, then feuded with Cena for a while. The scramble win did absolutely nothing for the Michaels/Jericho feud because at this point, the feud was over.

Thats Funny I seem to remember a ladder match at No Mercy which was after the scramble match and before the program with Batista .So unless HBK and Jericho were not "fueding" and just playing nice in the ladder match were they fought over the title then I would say you are about 100% wrong my good sir.

Hmm. Interesting thought. Of course, by interesting I mean totally stupid. The street fight prior to the scramble match was the blow-off to the feud between these two. After this, Jericho went into a short program with Batista, then feuded with Cena for a while. The scramble win did absolutely nothing for the Michaels/Jericho feud because at this point, the feud was over.

I agree with the earlier post that mentioned Andre's 11 second title reign. While this did nothing for Andre other than give him the title he had never won (for a few seconds), it had a huge overall impact.

1) For the first time in 4 and a half years, Hogan was not the champion. This was HUGE at the time, because there were a lot of fans at the time who had literally never seen the WWF without Hogan as champ, myself included. I started watching between WM2 and WM3, and I was watching that night on SNME when Andre won, and it was the first time I had ever seen anyone other than Hogan with the belt.

2) To my knowledge, this was the first time that an angle was ever run on a large-scale promotion featuring a crooked ref in such a prominent role. Today, we are used to the concept of a referee screwing one guy or another, especially with all the "special" referee matches we see these days, but at the time, the concept of a real referee being paid off (especially for such a high profile match) was shocking.

3) Even though he wasn't an actual participant, this match helped cement Ted Dibiase as one of the all-time great heels. The fact that he truly bought himself a world-title was appalling, even if he was stripped of it later.

4) The resulting world title tournament at WM4 led to the ascension of Randy Savage to the Main Event scene.

So yes, Andre held the title for only about 11 seconds, but the impact that reign made on the wrestling world was immeasurable.

Don't forget too that DiBiase had a very short unofficial run with this title too. If you have a good look online, there's footage of him wearing the belt just before a tag-match him and Andre had.

Insomuch as it set up not only the WMIV Tournament but also the entire Mega-Powers vs. Mega Bucks angle, THEN the Mega Powers explode angle, which led to Hogan's 2nd title run -- then surely no other short reign has had such an impact. Considering Andre's win over Hogan happened in Jan 1988 (or was it Dec 1987?) and the eventual blow-off from that storyline didn't come until Wrestlemania V (April, 1989) that's some pretty major mileage.

Much more significant and important than, for example, Benoit's 1 day WCW reign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back