Best never to wear world tag gold.

ServantofTwilight

Pre-Show Stalwart
back in the eighties when i started watching wrestling(1981) tag team wrestling was big. not only did two men team together for an extended period of time but they would travel back and forth thru different companies, many winning titles in different areas.
with that in mind who are your top ten tag teams never to win a world title?

heres mine:

10. sheepherders- while most will laugh remembering the bushwacker gimic, those who remember the sheepherder in the early eighties to late eighties know they were one of the most feared teams around. rough brawlers, the won titles all thru the southern part of the country but never captured a world title.

9. can am connection- while they did not tag too long together i think they were one of the best teams. martel and zenk seemed to fit perfectly together and they gave the harts a run for their money. zenk doesn't bolt and i think the can ams would have been champs instead of strike force.

8. powers of pain- never really liked them but give credit where its due. they were big and imposing and moved pretty good for big guys. never really challenged for the nwa title but probably should have upended demolition once. would have definitely been awa champs if they chose to go there.

7. islanders- one of the rare teams that were great as both faces and heels. adding heenan as manager was classic but team never really got title shots.

6. rougeau brothers- like can ams this team gave harts all they could handle. neither very big but great teamwork and wrestling knowledge made up for it. did technically defeat harts for title in montreal but next day the decision was reversed and belts returned to harts( sort of like rockers).

5. killer bees- i sometimes think that the reason the harts were so great was all the great teams they defended against. another here as brunzel and blair used superb teamwork and speed to make up for size.

4. fabulous freebirds(hayes, roberts and gordy)- while hayes and garvin held the nwa titles as the freebirds no two members of the orignal threesome ever held world gold. reginal titles like wccw or mid south but never the big ones.

3. fabulous ones- kiern and lane. one of the first teams i saw when i started watching awa. thought for sure they would be champs but, like the freebirds, won smaller titles but never the big ones.

2. the fantastics- in my opinion one of the most underated teams ever. fulton and rogers could go hold for hold and toe to toe with anyone. twice made it to the semis of the crockett cup and had one of the greatest fueds ever with the sheepherders but again, never the big ones.

1. ole and arn anderson- one of the greatest teams ever. while ole and arn held the nwa title with different partners they never wore them together. great teamwork with the patented anderson style of working on the openents left arm until he quit, they were rough, brutal and skilled.

thats my ten best. what do you think? also, again if you chose to reply try not to use teams today as they may very well win tag gold in the future.

It’s a pretty good list imo. All of the teams on your list are talented teams that should’ve won at least one World Title but didn’t. Since most of these teams were from the ‘80’s, it just goes to show how great the tag team scene was back then. Had most of these teams existed today, they would’ve won multiple World Tag Team Titles. It goes to show that championships are only as good as the available competition. I can’t really think of too many teams to add to the list because you’ve pretty much got it covered. The only team I could think of would be the original Dynamic Duo with Tully Blanchard and the late Gino Hernandez. Both men were incredible mat technical with arrogance to match. They were definitely one of the most talented teams in their days.

peopleschamp said:
It’s a pretty good list imo. All of the teams on your list are talented teams that should’ve won at least one World Title but didn’t. Since most of these teams were from the ‘80’s, it just goes to show how great the tag team scene was back then. Had most of these teams existed today, they would’ve won multiple World Tag Team Titles. It goes to show that championships are only as good as the available competition. I can’t really think of too many teams to add to the list because you’ve pretty much got it covered. The only team I could think of would be the original Dynamic Duo with Tully Blanchard and the late Gino Hernandez. Both men were incredible mat technical with arrogance to match. They were definitely one of the most talented teams in their days.

Yeah, I thought about using some teams who never wrestled in a big fed, such as Hernandez/Adams...Tatum/Victory...and The Von Erichs, but felt that since they never were anywhere in position to win a world title that it didn't seem worth it. The ten teams I mentioned at one point or another worked for one or more of the BIG THREE feds in the 80s, some of them contending for the world tag titles.

Well yeah, like I said, you already had most of these teams covered. I was only trying to come up with different teams to add to to the list. I actually thought of the Von Erichs and Tatum/Victory as well. But like I said there wasn't really much to add to your list.

Just to add, Kevin & Kerry Von Erich did manage to win one World Tag Team Title, although not in the Big Three (i.e. World Class World Tag Team Title).

I was also going to mention The Texas Outlaws (Dusty Rhodes & Dick Murdoch), but they were once recognized as the Detroit version of the NWA World Tag Team champions (the NWA was pretty confusing back then as there were many different versions of different titles).

Rockers never won the tag straps....both members have held the belts, but not together as the rockers...janetty & 1-2-3- Kid were tag champs...and Michaels has been a tag champ with partners Diesel & Steve Austin. interestingly, HBK and HHH have yet to gain tag gold together. (as of today)

OoO...I know I know....Best never to win the straps hmmm...lets see The rockers.I saw some of their matches at this website.

While The Rockers never wore the WWF Tag team titles they were two time AWA World tag team champs as The Midnight Rockers. They dropped the Midnight part when they came to the WWF. So they did indeed win world tag gold.

scalizi said:
Rockers never won the tag straps....both members have held the belts, but not together as the rockers...janetty & 1-2-3- Kid were tag champs...and Michaels has been a tag champ with partners Diesel & Steve Austin. interestingly, HBK and HHH have yet to gain tag gold together. (as of today)

Well with the current DX/McMahon & Spirit Squad feud, I can see DX getting the belts sometime in the near future.

scalizi said:
Actually, that's incorrect.

Michaels and Jannetty were two-time former AWA World Tag Team champions as The Midnight Rockers, and they also had an "unofficial" reign as WWE World Tag Team champions in 1990 when they beat The Hart Foundation (a decision that was later reversed due to the ring collapsing during the match, thus the switch was never acknowledged in WWE record books).

Actually, that's incorrect.

Michaels and Jannetty were two-time former AWA World Tag Team champions as The Midnight Rockers, and they also had an "unofficial" reign as WWE World Tag Team champions in 1990 when they beat The Hart Foundation (a decision that was later reversed due to the ring collapsing during the match, thus the switch was never acknowledged in WWE record books).

your right it was at a tv taping for either saturday nights main event or the main event in fort wynam indiana on the 3oth of october 1990 it was a 2 out of 3 falls match which the rockers won by 2 falls too 1.

here is details of the match this text was taken from www.prowrestlinghistory.com results section which is graham cawthons website

WWF @ Ft. Wayne, IN - Allen County Coliseum - October 30, 1990

Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty defeated WWF Tag Team Champions Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart in a Best 2 out of 3 falls match to win the titles; fall #1 - Jannetty pinned Bret by blocking a sunset flip; fall #2 - Hart pinned Michaels with the Hart Attack; fall #3 - Jannetty pinned Hart; after the bout, the Harts shook hands with the new champions; this match was never shown on television because the top rope fell off in the midst of the bout and Vince McMahon felt he would not air it; the titles were later returned to Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart and the title change was never mentioned aside from WWF President Jack Tunney officially reversing the decision of the match on TV stations in the immediate area; clips of the finish were eventually shown in September 1995 prior to Marty Jannetty's return to the WWF; Michaels & Jannetty did defend the titles on two known occassions, both against Paul Roma & Hercules

Hey just wanted to let you know that The Rockers were AWA Tag Team Champs.

Here is my Pics for Greatest Teams to Never wear Tag Team Gold

The Powers of Pain, Warlord and Barbarian on their own Were two of the best brawlers in wrestling history, but Together they were even Better they should have been champs.

Hardcore Holly and Billy Gunn. I really enjoyed every match those two were in as a team they should have worn the belts in my opinion.

Hardcore Holly and Charlie Haas- I actually had the pleasure of seing them in action against MNM in Peoria once and they worked well as a team.

Val Venis and Viscera- I like them as a team their gimmicks seemed to gel together plus they have good tandem moves.

The Can-Am-Connection Rick Martel and Tom Zenk solo are two of the most underrated and underappreciated wrestlers ever and as a team theyhad the same fate really should have held the gold.

The New Foundation Owen Hart could make a great Tag Team with any partner him and The anvil were awesome as a team just as good as anil and hitman

High energy Same reason as New Foundation just insert Koko B Ware in for The Anvil.

Head Cheese- I know what your thinking the gimmick sucked but they actually were a good team.

Chris Benoit and Rhyno- They were a totally awesome team I thought they were just like the Hart Foundation. Too bad vince doesnt know good tag teams anymore.

Those are all the picks i can think or right now.

UR NOT FUNNY ROCKOFHYSTERIA......try to form an intelligent opinion.

Lets take the argument further and I am gonna list the top 3 most UNDER RATED TAG TEAMS OF 90's (maybe all of time): let me know if u guys agree:

3) Headshrinkers: Watch Wrestlemania match against the Steiners - THEY WERE AMAZING

2) Hollywood Blondes: yea they were champs but they never get any cred

1) HARLEM HEAT: What an amazing team - DOMINATING in WCW but after outsiders came, bookers never gave them a chance. I loved them.

The Mega Powers: Both Macho Man and Hulk Hogan were in there prime and would have brought the titles instant credibility

Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior: Same with mega powers, two of the biggest baby faces in late 80s early 90s. They teamed up at survivor series and summerslam. Hogan and Warrior were real life super heroes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back