Best Movie Monolouge of All Time

Discussion in 'The Zonies (2011)' started by IrishCanadian25, Jun 1, 2011.

?

Who Wins The Zonie For Best Monologue

1. Mel Gibson (Braveheart)

2. Robert Shaw (Jaws)

3. George C. Scott (Patton)

4. Ned Beaty (Network)

5. Al Pacino (Scent Of A Woman)

6. Al Pacino (Devil's Advocate)

7. Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men)

8. Robert DiNiro (Taxi Driver)

9. Michael Douglas (Wall Street)

10. Christopher Walken (Pulp Fiction)

11. Salvatore Corsitto (The Godfather)

12. Robert Duvall (Apocalypse Now)

13. Marlon Brando (On The Waterfront)

14. David Carradine (Kill Bill Vol.2)

15. Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. IrishCanadian25

IrishCanadian25 Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

2011 Zonie Awards

Nominees for Best Movie Monolouge Of All Time

Mel Gibson, Braveheart

Robert Shaw, Jaws

George C. Scott, Patton

Ned Beatty, Network

Al Pacino, Scent of a Woman

Al Pacino, Devil's Advocate

Jack Nicholson, A Few Good Men

Robert DiNiro, Taxi Driver

Michael Douglas, Wall Street

Christopher Walken, Pulp Fiction

Salvatore Corsitto, The Godfather

Robert Duvall, Apocalypse Now

Marlon Brando, On the Waterfront

David Carradine, Kill Bill Vol. 2

Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry

*discussion will be open until Wednesday, June 8th, on which date the polls will open and voting will be permitted. No spamming, no flaming.

2. IrishCanadian25

IrishCanadian25 Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

Al Pacino - Devils Advocate

[YOUTUBE]RGR4SFOimlk[/YOUTUBE]

My God, how brilliant is that? The text itself was so well written, but having Pacino execute it is what it takes to make it 100% epic success. It almost feels like the words were written for Pacino.

His character in Devil's Advocate was the damn description of The Devil. It's going to be tough for this monolouge to lose in my book.

Michael Douglas - Wall Street

[YOUTUBE]R8y6DJAeolo[/YOUTUBE]

Perhaps never before has a film monolouge better captured the true, raw entrepreneurial spirit of America. This monolouge is so spot on, I've used is as a motivational tool for a sales team before. And Michael Douglas delivers it with such self-confidence, and yet somehow blends with with an air of loathing and contempt for anyone trying to get in his way.

3. Loveless

Loveless A Life In Monochrome

None of the above, all of which are speeches. Kevin Spacey's closing monologue from American Beauty is by far the best bookending or summation I've heard. I also have much love for the opening to Magnolia.

4. Y 2 Jake

Y 2 Jake Slightly Autistic

Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross must rank up there, certainly above anything in The Devil's Advocate, Scent Of A Woman and Kill Bill: Volume 2.

Off the list, Robert Shaw in Jaws. Eventually there will be a quasi-prequel based on that event.

5. FitFinlay4Life

FitFinlay4Life What's the craic?

Hurt man, I thought these two were great monologues...

This is easily, in my opinion, the greatest 7 minutes of Matthew McConaughey's career. Please do not open the spoiler or watch the clip if you have not seen 'A Time To Kill', it really is the kicker of kickers as far as twists go. Emotive and thought provoking, basically what cinema drama should be.
    [YOUTUBE]C7f-BgDgpmE[/YOUTUBE]​

My second choice was Bluto's call to arms in 'Animal House'. I never tire of this scene and Bluto's psychotic rant is followed by a fantastic follow up by Otter. If you don't love this, check your pulse - your heart has obviously stopped:lmao:
    [YOUTUBE]acSPCEHejGY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​
    As I have been snubbed though:icon_cry:, I'll probably go with Al's rant in 'The Devil's Advocate', basically, because of the sheer enjoyment he seems to be having with it.

6. FunKay the Inevitable

FunKay the Inevitable People Like Me, We Don't Play

[YOUTUBE]FnMLGkj91Og[/YOUTUBE]​

Who doesn't know that clip? It's the one thing that anyone who has seen Dirty Harry will remember from it. It's powerful, straight-to-the-point and very direct. Clint speaks directly to the camera, demonstrating the power of the Harry character and also allowing the audience to feel the intimidation that the bank robber feels.

7. Mantaur Rodeo Clown

Mantaur Rodeo Clown X-Pac Rules

I was a bit disappointed to see that none of the Patrick Bateman album monologues made it onto the list. Guess I probably should have contributed to the voting then huh?

I'm not huge on this list. I don't know, I feel like there are so many great monologues out there, but when I read this list I don't identify with any of them. A truly great monologue should make you want to practice it in front of a mirror, just to look badass. Even if you're 35. And you live with your mom. It has to be good enough for you to watch 10 times over without getting sick of it, nor should you ever get tired of every little nuance that the actor makes.

If any of these are close to that, it would be Alec Baldwin from Glengarry Glen Ross.

Then again, I could never get sick of this:

EDIT: oh wait, glengarry glen ross isnt up there either. Shit. Ok Pulp Fiction then. Although it should be Samuel L. Jackson, not Walken.

8. Wolf Pac

Wolf Pac Mid-Card Championship Winner

[youtube]S-IkF4_iGBY[/youtube]

Another awesome monologue not on the list. How this monologue about people being a bunch of fakes is so true which is the reason why I love it. Another great monologue is from Denzel Washingston in Training Day at the end. His delivery is just fuckin classic & actually hilarious at times too. This speech is so underrated. Didn't Denzel win an Oscar for this speech?

[youtube]ih9C2Pn0zwQ[/youtube]

Both of them are my top 2 favourite movie monologues.

9. JGlass

JGlass Unregistered User

Ned Beatty's monologue in Network? How about Peter Finch's? From a strict entertainment perspective... he just nails it. The passion, the anger, all the emotion seems genuine, and you almost forget that you're watching a movie and that these are the genuine ramblings of a pundit that has grown discontent with the American way of life. From an artistic side of things... he nails it. It genuinely does seem like something a deranged and disillusioned pundit would say, and yet it calls America out on all its shit. Sometimes it does seem like the government looks at us like a mass of people that they feel burdened to take care of, that they are looking out for the interests of a select few over the interest of many, and that the people who run the government are in it only for themselves. And what do most Americans do? They sit and watch it happen without saying a word for fear of what people would think should they speak out. Howard Beale doesn't want you to go out on overthrow the government though, he doesn't want you to throw a brick through the window of city hall or flip a police car over, he just wants you to see the bullshit, open your window, and yell, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

I mean this as no slight to IC or Dave, but I do not like the selection of nominees here. I'm a big Kill Bill fan, and even I say the Superman monologue doesn't rank up with the best ones. This list has most of the essentials, but it's still missing a few that were replaced with some odd choices, including one about keeping a watch in a rectum for years and years.

10. Cena's Little Helper

Cena's Little Helper Mid-Card Championship Winner

Homeys, this list needs to be redone. Also, you can't blame for contributing as I offered up this monologue for nomination:

[YOUTUBE]CfetsPmDWAk[/YOUTUBE]​

Yes, it's not a monologue per se, but it surely counts as one if you count these other nominees. Nick B. will back me up on this one too. This, in my opinion, is one of the greatest instances of American acting ever. That James Caan didn't an Oscar nomination for his work in Thief defies all comprehension.

11. Hollywood Naitch

Hollywood Naitch The current reigning and defending

[YOUTUBE]aUdB8gCMcXI[/YOUTUBE]

This speech should be in that list, no doubt about it.

An incredibly inspirational speech from President Whitmore to his troops before they all set off to almost certain death, to attempt to defend their world and their country from the alien invaders who are intent on the annialation of human life.

In times of great struggle and hardship, a country needs its leader to inspire them, and this is EXACTLY what this speech does. I must have seen this about 50 times, and each and every times I get goosebumps. THIS is what I want the leader of my country to say before I go into war for him.

Breathtaking, man how I love that film

12. JWGunslinger

JWGunslinger Warrior Forever

For me it's Mel Gibson in Braveheart, with George C Scott in Patton at a close second. I dont believe there has ever been a movie that really pulled me in and spoke to me. The entire movie but mostly Mel's performace was once in a lifetime and that is one of my favorite movies of all time. His portrayal of William Wallace's uncomparable patriotism was exellent, one of my favorite parts in the movie when he show up at Sterling before the battle and speaks with the nobles.
    Wallace: For presenting yourselves on this battlefield, I give you thanks
    Noble: This is our army, to join it you give homage
    Wallace: I give homage to SCOTLAND!

Amazing movie and amazing monolouge after that