Robert DiNiro, Taxi Driver

Michael Douglas, Wall Street

Christopher Walken, Pulp Fiction

Salvatore Corsitto, The Godfather

Robert Duvall, Apocalypse Now

Marlon Brando, On the Waterfront

David Carradine, Kill Bill Vol. 2

Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry

*discussion will be open until Wednesday, June 8th, on which date the polls will open and voting will be permitted. No spamming, no flaming.

Al Pacino - Devils Advocate

[YOUTUBE]RGR4SFOimlk[/YOUTUBE]

I want you to be yourself. Y'know, boy, guilt is like a bag of fucking bricks. All you gotta do is set it down.....Who are you carrying all those bricks for anyway? God? Is that it? God? Well, I'll tell ya, lemme give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts! He gives this extraordinary gift and then--what does he do? I swear--for his own amusement--his own private cosmic gag reel--he sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time! Look. But don't touch! Touch. But don't taste! Taste. Don't swallow! [laughs] And while you're jumping from one foot to the next, he's laughing his sick fucking ass off!! He's a tight ass, he's a sadist, he's an absentee landlord!! Worship that never! Why not? I'm here on the ground with my nose in it since the whole thing began! I've nurtured every sensation Man has been inspired to have! I cared about what he wanted and I never judged him. Why? Because I never rejected him. In spite of all his imperfections, I'm a fan of man!! I'm a humanist. Maybe the last humanist. Who, in their right mind, Kevin, could possibly deny the 20th century was entirely mine? All of it, Kevin, all of it! Mine! I'm peaking here! It's my time now. It's our time.

My God, how brilliant is that? The text itself was so well written, but having Pacino execute it is what it takes to make it 100% epic success. It almost feels like the words were written for Pacino.

His character in Devil's Advocate was the damn description of The Devil. It's going to be tough for this monolouge to lose in my book.

Michael Douglas - Wall Street

[YOUTUBE]R8y6DJAeolo[/YOUTUBE]

Teldar Paper, Mr. Cromwell, Teldar Paper has 33 different vice presidents, each earning over 200 thousand dollars a year. Now, I have spent the last two months analyzing what all these guys do, and I still can't figure it out. One thing I do know is that our paper company lost 110 million dollars last year, and I'll bet that half of that was spent in all the paperwork going back and forth between all these vice presidents. The new law of evolution in corporate America seems to be survival of the unfittest. Well, in my book you either do it right or you get eliminated. In the last seven deals that I've been involved with, there were 2.5 million stockholders who have made a pretax profit of 12 billion dollars. Thank you. I am not a destroyer of companies. I am a liberator of them!

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed -- you mark my words -- will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

Perhaps never before has a film monolouge better captured the true, raw entrepreneurial spirit of America. This monolouge is so spot on, I've used is as a motivational tool for a sales team before. And Michael Douglas delivers it with such self-confidence, and yet somehow blends with with an air of loathing and contempt for anyone trying to get in his way.

None of the above, all of which are speeches. Kevin Spacey's closing monologue from American Beauty is by far the best bookending or summation I've heard. I also have much love for the opening to Magnolia.

Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross must rank up there, certainly above anything in The Devil's Advocate, Scent Of A Woman and Kill Bill: Volume 2.

Off the list, Robert Shaw in Jaws. Eventually there will be a quasi-prequel based on that event.

Hurt man, I thought these two were great monologues...

This is easily, in my opinion, the greatest 7 minutes of Matthew McConaughey's career. Please do not open the spoiler or watch the clip if you have not seen 'A Time To Kill', it really is the kicker of kickers as far as twists go. Emotive and thought provoking, basically what cinema drama should be.
[YOUTUBE]C7f-BgDgpmE[/YOUTUBE]​
I had a great summation all worked out, full of some sharp lawyering. But I'm not going to read it. I'm hear to apologize. I am young and I am inexperienced. But you cannot hold Carl Lee Hailey responsible for my shortcomings. You see, in all this legal maneuvering something has gotten lost, and that something is the truth. Now, it is incumbent upon us lawyers not to just talk about the truth, but to actually seek it, to find it, to live it. My teacher taught me that. Let's take Dr. Bass, for example. Now, obviously I would have never knowingly put a convicted felon on the stand -- I hope you can believe that. But what is the truth? That he is a disgraced liar? And what if I told you that the woman he was accused of raping was 17, he was 23, that she later became his wife, bore his child and is still married to the man today. Does that make his testimony more or less true? What is it in us that seeks the truth? Is it our minds or is it our hearts? I set out to prove a black man could receive a fair trial in the south, that we are all equal in the eyes of the law. That's not the truth, because the eyes of the law are human eyes -- yours and mine -- and until we can see each other as equals, justice is never going to be evenhanded. It will remain nothing more than a reflection of our own prejudices, so until that day we have a duty under God to seek the truth, not with our eyes and not with our minds where fear and hate turn commonality into prejudice, but with our hearts -- where we don't know better. Now I wanna tell you a story. I'm gonna ask ya'all to close your eyes while I tell you this story. I want you to listen to me. I want you to listen to yourselves. This is a story about a little girl walking home from the grocery store one sunny afternoon. I want you to picture this little girl. Suddenly a truck races up. Two men jump out and grab her. They drag her into a nearby field and they tie her up, and they rip her clothes from her body. Now they climb on, first one then the other, raping her, shattering everything innocent and pure -- vicious thrusts -- in a fog of drunken breath and sweat. And when they're done, after they killed her tiny womb, murdered any chance for her to bear children, to have life beyond her own, they decide to use her for target practice. So they start throwing full beer cans at her. They throw 'em so hard that it tears the flesh all the way to her bones -- and they urinate on her. Now comes the hanging. They have a rope; they tie a noose. Imagine the noose pulling tight around her neck and a sudden blinding jerk. She's pulled into the air and her feet and legs go kicking and they don't find the ground. The hanging branch isn't strong enough. It snaps and she falls back to the earth. So they pick her up, throw her in the back of the truck, and drive out to Foggy Creek Bridge and pitch her over the edge. And she drops some 30 feet down to the creek bottom below. Can you see her? Her raped, beaten, broken body, soaked in their urine, soaked in their semen, soaked in her blood -- left to die. Can you see her? I want you to picture that little girl. Now imagine she's white.

My second choice was Bluto's call to arms in 'Animal House'. I never tire of this scene and Bluto's psychotic rant is followed by a fantastic follow up by Otter. If you don't love this, check your pulse - your heart has obviously stopped:lmao:
[YOUTUBE]acSPCEHejGY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​
Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: [to Boon] Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough... The tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go! [runs out, alone; then returns] What the fuck happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer...
Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic... but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

As I have been snubbed though:icon_cry:, I'll probably go with Al's rant in 'The Devil's Advocate', basically, because of the sheer enjoyment he seems to be having with it.

[YOUTUBE]FnMLGkj91Og[/YOUTUBE]​

Who doesn't know that clip? It's the one thing that anyone who has seen Dirty Harry will remember from it. It's powerful, straight-to-the-point and very direct. Clint speaks directly to the camera, demonstrating the power of the Harry character and also allowing the audience to feel the intimidation that the bank robber feels.

I was a bit disappointed to see that none of the Patrick Bateman album monologues made it onto the list. Guess I probably should have contributed to the voting then huh?

I'm not huge on this list. I don't know, I feel like there are so many great monologues out there, but when I read this list I don't identify with any of them. A truly great monologue should make you want to practice it in front of a mirror, just to look badass. Even if you're 35. And you live with your mom. It has to be good enough for you to watch 10 times over without getting sick of it, nor should you ever get tired of every little nuance that the actor makes.

If any of these are close to that, it would be Alec Baldwin from Glengarry Glen Ross.

Then again, I could never get sick of this:

EDIT: oh wait, glengarry glen ross isnt up there either. Shit. Ok Pulp Fiction then. Although it should be Samuel L. Jackson, not Walken.

[youtube]S-IkF4_iGBY[/youtube]

Another awesome monologue not on the list. How this monologue about people being a bunch of fakes is so true which is the reason why I love it. Another great monologue is from Denzel Washingston in Training Day at the end. His delivery is just fuckin classic & actually hilarious at times too. This speech is so underrated. Didn't Denzel win an Oscar for this speech?

[youtube]ih9C2Pn0zwQ[/youtube]

Both of them are my top 2 favourite movie monologues.

Ned Beatty's monologue in Network? How about Peter Finch's? From a strict entertainment perspective... he just nails it. The passion, the anger, all the emotion seems genuine, and you almost forget that you're watching a movie and that these are the genuine ramblings of a pundit that has grown discontent with the American way of life. From an artistic side of things... he nails it. It genuinely does seem like something a deranged and disillusioned pundit would say, and yet it calls America out on all its shit. Sometimes it does seem like the government looks at us like a mass of people that they feel burdened to take care of, that they are looking out for the interests of a select few over the interest of many, and that the people who run the government are in it only for themselves. And what do most Americans do? They sit and watch it happen without saying a word for fear of what people would think should they speak out. Howard Beale doesn't want you to go out on overthrow the government though, he doesn't want you to throw a brick through the window of city hall or flip a police car over, he just wants you to see the bullshit, open your window, and yell, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

I mean this as no slight to IC or Dave, but I do not like the selection of nominees here. I'm a big Kill Bill fan, and even I say the Superman monologue doesn't rank up with the best ones. This list has most of the essentials, but it's still missing a few that were replaced with some odd choices, including one about keeping a watch in a rectum for years and years.

Homeys, this list needs to be redone. Also, you can't blame for contributing as I offered up this monologue for nomination:

[YOUTUBE]CfetsPmDWAk[/YOUTUBE]​

Yes, it's not a monologue per se, but it surely counts as one if you count these other nominees. Nick B. will back me up on this one too. This, in my opinion, is one of the greatest instances of American acting ever. That James Caan didn't an Oscar nomination for his work in Thief defies all comprehension.

[YOUTUBE]aUdB8gCMcXI[/YOUTUBE]

This speech should be in that list, no doubt about it.

An incredibly inspirational speech from President Whitmore to his troops before they all set off to almost certain death, to attempt to defend their world and their country from the alien invaders who are intent on the annialation of human life.

In times of great struggle and hardship, a country needs its leader to inspire them, and this is EXACTLY what this speech does. I must have seen this about 50 times, and each and every times I get goosebumps. THIS is what I want the leader of my country to say before I go into war for him.

Breathtaking, man how I love that film

For me it's Mel Gibson in Braveheart, with George C Scott in Patton at a close second. I dont believe there has ever been a movie that really pulled me in and spoke to me. The entire movie but mostly Mel's performace was once in a lifetime and that is one of my favorite movies of all time. His portrayal of William Wallace's uncomparable patriotism was exellent, one of my favorite parts in the movie when he show up at Sterling before the battle and speaks with the nobles.
Wallace: For presenting yourselves on this battlefield, I give you thanks
Noble: This is our army, to join it you give homage
Wallace: I give homage to SCOTLAND!

Amazing movie and amazing monolouge after that

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo