• Tom Cruise

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

2011 Zonie Awards

Nominees for Best Movie Cameo

Keith Richards (Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End)

ABBA (Mamma Mia!)

David Bowie (Zoolander)

Martin Sheen (Hot Shots: Part Deux)

Elvis Costello (Austin Powers)

Elvis Costello (Spice World)

Orson Welles (The Muppets Movie)

Steve Buscemi (The Wedding Singer)

Gene Hackman (Young Frankenstein)

Mike Tyson (The Hangover)

Neil Patrick Harris (Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle)

Stan Lee (Mallrats)

Matt Damon (Eurotrip)

Lance Armstrong (Dodgeball)

Tom Cruise (Tropic Thunder)

*discussion will be open until Wednesday, June 2nd, on which date the polls will open and voting will be permitted. No spamming, no flaming.

Definitly Neil Patrick Harris in Harold and Kumar Go To Whitecastle, not only is his charecter hilarious but for me his scenes made the movie and again in the second movie. It's NPH, how can you deny the guy who played Doogie?

doogie-howser-md-290x400.jpg

This one is so tough for me.

- Mike Tyson was iconic in the Hangover
- Steve Buscemi, while he played a small part, was one of the most memorable characters in the Wedding Singer.
- Neil Patrick Harris was brilliant in Harold and Kumar because it was completely against whatever typecast he would've had back then.
- Keith Richards' appearance in Pirates was so epic because he was who Johnny Depp based the Captain Jack Sparrow character on. Having Richards pop in was more than just a cameo... it had more depth.

It's so hard to choose...

Bill Murray in ZombieLand not on the list?

Tough one, most of those cameos are forgettable. It'd probably have to be Tyson in The Hangover or the very clever Sheen cameo in Hot Shots 2.

Neil Patrick Harris in Harold and Kumar. Interesting facts about this include Harris reading online about the film, and that he had been cast in it. The problem? Noone had informed him he was in it, and had he declined, the part would have had to be re-written. Secondly, he credits the film for his career resurgance, including his landing the role of Barney in How I Met Your Mother.

I picked Harris because Neil Patrick Harris plays himself, and is awesome in doing so. When they pick up Harris on the road on the way to White Castle, it seems as if he'll just be a brief player in the movie, and good for a few laughs- which he is. But amazingly, his character is integral to the plot. Harris is having fun playing against his own casting stereotype, and doing it well. He is totally out there, and his performance epitomizes the ideal of what many a child actor becomes. And he's able to laugh at the joke that's also on him.

Bill Murray in ZombieLand not on the list?

That would have been my vote. By far the best cameo I've seen.

From this list, Lance Armstrong in Dodgeball.

"Lance Armstrong: Could I get a bottle of water. - - Hey, aren't you Peter La Fleur?

Peter La Fleur: Lance Armstrong!

Lance Armstrong: Yeah, that's me. But I'm a big fan of yours.

Peter La Fleur: Really?

Lance Armstrong: Yeah, I've been watching the dodgeball tournament on the Ocho. ESPN 8. I just can't get enough of it. But, good luck in the tournament. I'm really pulling for you against those jerks from Globo Gym. I think you better hurry up or you're gonna be late.

Peter La Fleur: Uh, actually I decided to quit... Lance.

Lance Armstrong: Quit? You know, once I was thinking about quitting when I was diagnosed with brain, lung and testicular cancer, all at the same time. But with the love and support of my friends and family, I got back on the bike and I won the Tour de France five times in a row. But I'm sure you have a good reason to quit. So what are you dying from that's keeping you from the finals?

Peter La Fleur: Right now it feels a little bit like... shame.

Lance Armstrong: Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't have anything to regret for the rest of their life. But good luck to you Peter. I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever. "

Wasn't Bob Saget's cameo in Half Baked really solid too?

Bob Saget said:
Marijuana is not a drug. I used to suck dick for coke. Now that's an addiction. You ever suck some dick for marijuana?

I should have nominated this one. And I'm with Jake on Zombieland, too.

I'd have to go with Armstrong as far as the list goes. It made sense for the film in some farcical kind of manner. Take the greatest underdog / survival story in American Sports since the 1980 Olympic Team and put someone who'd just quit next to him. Insert cheesy dialouge, stir with a large wooden spoon until awesome.

Wasn't Bob Saget's cameo in Half Baked really solid too?

I must admit, it was one of those "out of nowhere" appearences that made me laugh hysterically. Who expected Bob Saget... I mean, really? Wasn't he still doing Full House at the time? That made it all the more hilarious.

Tom Cruise in "Tropic Thunder." I felt like an idiot for not knowing who he was during the film although I knew he was someone I recognized. Sure, the bald head threw me, but the character he played was so markedly different from anything else he had ever done ("We will fuck you up!") that I couldn't believe my eyes when the final credits appeared and I found out it was him.

Tough between Tom Cruise and Mike Tyson, I'll probably pick Tyson. Things would've been a lot tougher for me if Bill Murray from Zombieland was on this list.

Yea, the two best ones are direly missing.

Bob Saget in half baked is fucking legendary annnnd my personal choice...

Sean Connery as Richard The Lionheart, in Robin Hood, Prince Of Theives. Epicness.

Anyway, out of those, I would go with Lance in dogeball. Hilarious spot in the movie, and I would chop off one of my toes if it meant I never had to hear anything about the hangover, or Mike Tyson being in it, ever again

Best Movie Cameo

Keith Richards (Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End) - I suppose this made sense, if you understand Depp worships Keith Richards, on a personal level. I'm not sure most of the crowd understood this cameo. I got it, because I knew why he was there. But, he did a fine job. Movie stunk, but I like me some Rolling Stones.

ABBA (Mamma Mia!) - Haven't seen it.

David Bowie (Zoolander) - Still haven't seen this film.

Martin Sheen (Hot Shots: Part Deux) - This movie was awful, but Sheen makes sense, and is a known guy. It worked, and that's about the best I can say about this sequel.

Elvis Costello (Austin Powers) - I "got it," but I didn't care.

Elvis Costello (Spice World) - Obviously, I have never seen this pile of garbage.

Orson Welles (The Muppets Movie) - Vaguely remember this, but, it earns points, if only because it's Orson Welles.

Steve Buscemi (The Wedding Singer) - Epic. Buscemi is hilarious, and always does a solid job when Sandler calls. Easily the best cameo in a Sandler film.

Gene Hackman (Young Frankenstein) - I don't recall anything about this film, so I cannot comment.

Mike Tyson (The Hangover) - Most overrated cameo of all time. He punched the really annoying guy, and that's all I cared about. He gave a back story to the whole Tiger-in-the-bathroom scene, so I suppose it worked. Tyson isn't funny, so I don't see where the hype comes from.

Neil Patrick Harris (Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle) - Haven't seen this.

Stan Lee (Mallrats) - Same as any other Stan Lee cameo?? I say yes.

Matt Damon (Eurotrip) - Odd, and pointless. This movie stunk, terribly, and I'm not sure why Damon was even there.

Lance Armstrong (Dodgeball) - Funny stuff, but not great.

Tom Cruise (Tropic Thunder) - This wasn't a cameo. He was a supporting character, seeing he's in a damn solid portion of the movie. Also, this character may get his own film. If this were just a cameo, it would win, hands down.

I won't vote for any of these. Why? Bill Murray in Zombieland crushes each and every nominee. How in the hell did this not make the list? That was a quality cameo.

Stan Lee (Mallrats) - Same as any other Stan Lee cameo?? I say yes.

Erm, if you mean his Zack Ryder RAW like appearances in Marvel movies - most definitely NO!

Stan plays himself in 'Mallrats' and is actually central to resolving one of the romcom aspects of the film. However, given this is a Kevin Smith tome, Stan's interaction with Brodie (Jason Lee) starts with being quizzed on the practical nature and aesthetics of the sex organs of characters like Mr Fantastic and the Thing. Then moves on to Stan's own sexual history "Jagger and me, we had a running contest to see who had the most. In fact, last time I checked I was way ahead." Before finally, using a combination of his own life (kayfabe) and comic book lore, he convinces Brodie that he needs his ex, Rene (Shannon Doherty).

He makes a couple more brief appearances, with Brodie's best friend, T.S. (Jeremy London),who we discover, asked him to set Brodie straight, and as the catalyst for final resolution of an ongoing joke around a character who cannot see the sailboat in one of those Magic Eye hidden pictures.

As far as I'm concerned, Stan 'The Man' Lee's cameo can be summed up in one word... EXCELSIOR!
1265980064_mallrats-p-300x480.jpg

I've seen several people mention it, but Bill Murray in Zombieland should certainly have been added. He showed why he had so much success in his career in a brief cameo role there.

Of the ones listed, there are several that stand out to me. The most notable are Keith Richards, Mike Tyson, and Neil Patrick Harris. Richards because it was cool to see him there after Depp had said that he was one the key influences to the character of Captain Jack Sparrow. Tyson's cameo in the Hangover was just awesome because it was another element to this crazy night that we'd all love to have in Vegas from a film that snuck up on us all and became a smash hit and one of the best comedies in years. NPH in Harold & Kumar was just hilarious...always tripping on something and just being a badass in general.

But the one that'll get my vote here has got to be Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder. First off, no one really even knew he was going to be in it since they kept it so tightly under raps. And then when he surprises you, you don't even realize it's him initially because he's playing this totally different character than any he's ever played before and doesn't even really look like Tom Cruise. And lastly, because his role was slightly more than your normal 2 minute cameo and from what I have gathered from people I've talked to and I agree with, he stole the show and was the best character in the entire movie which is saying something considering Robert Downey, Jr's character was awesome as well. So for all that, I'll say Tom Cruise wins this Zonie

MIKE TYSON MIKE TYSON MIKE TYSON!

He was FANTASTIC in The Hangover, and each and every time I see those scenes I laugh. Whoever came up with the idea that the guys stole Mike Tyson's tiger should get a raise...absolute genious!

It just made the film that much better, which was hard to do as The Hangover is a great movie anyway. When you look at other cameos that are listed, such as Elvis Costello in Austin Powers, or Matt Damon in Eurotrip (I didnt realise it was him until I had seen the film about 5x!), they dont add that much, Tyson actually does. The tiger is a big part of the film, so I believe that because of what he and his pet add to the movie, that Tyson should win this

It's obviously too late to change anything now, but I would just like to retroactively state that if you haven't seen it yet go check at X-Men: First Class. Fantastic movie and maybe the best in the series for starters, but that's not what I'm here to talk about. There is a cameo in First Class that myself nor anyone I know had any idea was coming and was absolutely an instant classic in my book. Nothing too spectacular and I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it had the entire theater I was at cheering and clapping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back