Best Conference: College Basketball

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
The question is simple. Which conference is the best in college basketball right now? There are 4 conferences that are in contention. You have the Big East, Big 10, Big 12, and ACC. Right now the Big East has 7 top 25 teams, Big 12 has 6, Big 10 has 5, and ACC only has one.

The first conference I will eliminate is the ACC. Duke is easily the best team in college basketball but behind them there isn't much. Most years they are right up there but the depth just isn't there this year.

The next conference to be eliminated is the Big 12. Yes they have 6 top 25 teams and a ton of teams with great records, but the season is very early and many of those teams with good records have faced shit competition and lost to the only good teams they have played. Like the ACC, I don't think they have as much depth as the top two conferences.

It comes down to the Big 10 and the Big East. This is really hard because the Big East has so many teams (16). They have 7-8 teams at the top that are very good, some great, but once you get to the bottom of the conference there are a lot of teams that don't measure up. The Big Ten is a very competitive conference and there is really only one team, Iowa, that I can say is guaranteed to not make a run at the tournament.

In the end I guess I will still give the slight edge to the Big East because of the top of the conference competition with what Syracuse and UConn were able to do against Michigan State, but it is very close and could change as the year progresses.

I was hoping for a which conference as a whole was better, but this will do.

Without doing much research I'm saying it's the Big 12. This is early, but they don't have a single team under .500 and have 6 ranked teams with half of those in the top 12. Again this is very early but I'd say the Big 12 has it.

My hometown bias may be showing here, but I'll go with the Big East. I'm going to switch it up a little bit here though, because I give them a slight edge, not because of the number of teams, quite a few being very good, but also, their style of play. The Big East is a bruising conference and it allows for very good games in conference play. I will say, though, that this style hurts them come conference time. For two reasons: First, teams get beat up a ton in the Big East and some of the better players are more lucky to have nagging injuries during tourney time. Second, the Big East teams become used to this style, but games are called much differently during the tourney. If you become used to being able to comit ticky tack fouls, but then are called for them all of the sudden, it's a tough thing to overcome. On a side note: I've seen Tennessee play a couple of times this year, including a beatdown of my PITT team and they may be someone to watch for. It's going to hurt that Bruce Pearl won't be able to coach a number of games, but I think they can overcome that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back