Atlanta Region, Sixth Round: (2) The Rock vs. (4) Sting

Who Wins This Match

• The Rock

• Sting

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a sixth round match in the Wrestlezone Tournament.

This match takes place in the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Georgia.

georgia_dome.jpg

#2 The Rock

28452_the-rock_l.jpg

Vs.

#4 Sting

sting+icon.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 60 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote.

The final three rounds are a one night tournament. Any damage sustained in these matches carries over to the next round.

Voting will open in 48 hours and will be open for five days and all posts must be non-spam. You may use the 48 hours to present your cases as to why either competitor should/should not win.​

If this match happened during both of their primes, I'm sure it could sell out any arena. This is a match that doesn't instantly come to mind when thinking of dream match but I think these two together could pull out some great matches. They are both very decorated wrestlers and they both have had many classics throughout their careers. Furthermore, they both are both legends in their own ways and I don't think anyone can deny or debate that.

Right now, I have no idea on who to vote for. I know Sting is by far the better wrestler and has been involved in many more classics with guys like Flair and Vader for example. But then there's the Rock. He's the most electrifying man in wrestling (screw that sports entertainment crap) and one of the most entertaining man of his era.

I think overall, both are great and some might say one or both of them might not get enough credit or might get too much credit. But one thing still stands and that's the fact that both are amazing entertainers/wrestlers in their own ways so I honestly think that you can't go wrong with choosing either man.

I am going to give this match to... Sting.

I think this would be one hell of a match however one thing gives Sting the overall edge and that would be that I think because of his somewhat mysteriousness could end up having more stamina for this match considering this tournament takes place all in one night. However I think it would be very close, but in all honestly I have to say Sting. I think the overall better wrestler is Sting and the argument of better promos doesn't matter because they are actually fighting. Also here is an interesting fact since this tournament takes place on one night neither man had time to prepare for their opponent so I think I goive Sting the mental edge here. Also he has gone through TNA hell which means he can withstand anything so for that reason alone I give it to Sting.

Sting is my vote.

This is a huge match through anyone's eyes, and in the event it were to ever happen I believe that the outcome would largely depend on the Company it happened in. Sting was every bit of the face for WCW, while the Rock is the mainstream hollywood face for the WWE. Thankfully, this is not a WCW, or WWE based tournament. Because of that, I'm going to look mainly at talent.

The Rock is a 3rd Generation superstar, but simply put - his entertaining aspects won over the fans, not his in-ring skills. Sting worked his butt off, and while the shiny face paint may have won over children - his in-ring skills won over everyone else. Sting could work circles around The Rock in any ring, and that's why I feel Sting would win here.

Either way, this match is going to drain both men and leave them very weakened for the Finals. Unlike the brawl that Austin and Lesnar may fall into, I doubt Sting and Rock get into a slug-fest. It'll be a hold for hold, move for move contest with each individual wearing the other down slowly over time. The ultimate winner is likely to end up weakened and unable to fully pull off the trifecta in this tournament, although I'm hopeful if anyone can - it'll be Sting.

My vote is going to Sting.

Man Fuck me, this is easily the hardest match up I've ever seen in this tournament. I.... I just don't know, man. These are 2 of my absolute favorites and were the guys I grew up watching. Hell, Sting is the reason I got back into wrestling when I was a teenager and Rock sustained it.

I'm open to being swayed on way or the other, but as it stands, I'm leaning toward Sting. They're both incredibly charismatic, Rock obviously getting the edge, but I think Sting is better overall. They both could bring it when they were in the big match situations, but I give Sting the edge because he could bring it to a mid carder and give him the match of his life. I never could recall Rock doing something like that.

Like I said, I'm open to suggestion but I'm leaning toward Sting.

Anyone who votes for the Rock in this round is just a fanboy.

I've said it in the Rock's past three rounds of the tournament: I love the guy but I fail to see how his short impact in pro-wrestling, although very memorable and popular, did as much as the legends he's been getting past this year. The Rock's impact on pro-wrestling reminds me of Brock Lesnar's... short, yet extremely effective. But then again, I'm a firm believer in longevity and consistency making you a true legend in this business.

If the Rock never stopped wrestling and his momentum never changed, I'd probably lean towards voting for him here. Matter of fact, I don't think I'd be alone with that choice. No one would be able to deny the fact that the Rock would have been the most consistent and popular face (possibly) in the history of pro-wrestling. He's great in the ring, has endless amounts of charisma, and has a great win/loss record. But he didn't stick around long enough in the business so he doesn't deserve to win this tournament. But you know who has all of those qualities, including longevity? I know one... his name is Sting.

Sorry to all of the fanboys, but Sting is like the Rock with longevity and an injection of pro-wrestling-steroids (if there were such a thing). He's done it all in this business. I'll say it again: Sting has done it ALL which includes everything the Rock as done PLUS MORE. Anyone who thinks otherwise is voting based on personal preference. If that's your cup of tea then who am I to make you vote otherwise? However, if you want to vote on the biggest superstar and who would actually go over in a match, you need to vote for Sting.

Man, these seedings are misleading. The Rock is great, but Sting is legendary. The Rock is a top 10 wrestler, Sting is a top 5. The Rock carried on the tradition of great WWF/E wrestlers, Sting started, carried on, and lived the tradition of great WCW wrestlers.

The Rock has one thing on Sting, and that's microphone skills. The Rock may be the best promo man in wrestling history. That said, Sting could get the same type of reaction with a single howl that Rock would get with a 3 minute promo. Every other category belongs to Sting.

Accomplishments? Sting held every title there is to hold in WCW and has held both TNA Tag Team and World Championship gold. The Rock has had great success in WWF/E, but he has not enjoyed the same long term success as Sting whom won his first world championship in 1990 and is the current TNA World Champion. That's over 20 years of being a World Champion level competitor.

Matches? Sure, The Rock worked his fair share of great matches, but he doesn't have shit on Sting. If you had to put together a list of 10 must see matches for every wrestling fan, The Rock doesn't make the cut. Sting vs. Ric Flair at Clash of the Champions does.

Legacy? Sting has spent approximately 25 years putting on amazing matches and innovating. The Rock spent approximately 8 years putting on good matches and continuing traditions. Advantage, Sting.

Any way you try to slice it, this match up belong to Sting.

I'm likely going to vote for the most over babyface in professional wrestling today. Bizarrely, for once, that doesn't describe John Cena but instead describes The Rock.

The Rock is currently 38 years old. Would you like to know what Sting was doing at 38 years old? He was deciding it would be a great idea to dress up like the bloke from that movie he'd just seen and hang about in the rafters. Maybe stare at Hulk Hogan a bit.

In a convenient parallel, The Rock has also just embarked on a long term storyline. Hopefully he won't follow in Sting's footsteps, have an incredibly disappointing match after such a long build and then end up, at the age of 52, beating up drug addicts in front of about twenty people to keep food on his table. TNA, eh?

What's perhaps most remarkable is, as people have been readily admitting, that The Rock has spent comparatively bugger all time in the business compared to Sting and yet has a considerably bigger legacy.

Don't hold the fact The Rock grew so massively popular, massively successful and so massively charismatic that he quickly ascended from the industry against him.

Out of personal preference I would have to stay faithful to The Rock even though I think Sting was the better star, The Rock evolved his look, moves, and everything about him over the years and was consistent remaining The Face of WWE with Stone Cold. He even arguably took the torch from Hulk Hogan. He's just more charismatic then Sting, Yes Sting is a legend but what any thing else can you say about him? He was Franchise of WCW, Cool thats a good thing but his mic skills or ring skills never stood out a bit, he never went as mainstream as he could've been only remembered by old school fans, and people really weren't feeling or caring about him until he came with the Crow Gimmick which has lost it's meaning and charisma over the years, now just becoming face paint he puts on his face to look cool

This one is really hard for me. On one hand we have Sting that is by far one of the greatest guys to step foot in the squared circle. A legend in the business for the past 25 years at least. The guy has done it all. From NWA to WCW to TNA. He's been at the top. He's put on some of the greatest matches we all ever seen. He had one of the greatest builds we've seen in his feud with Hogan. The guy captivated the entire wrestling world by not saying a single word. His Crow gimmick was classic and idolized him in the eyes of many, and that gimmick will most likely what he will be known for.

On the other hand, there's The Great One. The man that in the short period that he was an active full time wrestler climbed to the very top. The guy was in 3 straight Main Events at Wrestlemania, and arguably had the main event match in 5 straight Mania's. He had one of the best if not the best rivalry in wrestling with Austin. Along with Triple H and Austin made the Attitude era. While Sting didn't have to say a word to captivity the wrestling world The Rock made his money off of talking. He is one of the best to ever on the mic. While he's no Sting in the Ring, he constantly put on good matches, and every time it matter he would give you a show.

My mind is telling me to go with Sting, but I my heart is telling me to go with Rock. So as of right now, that's where I'm going. My vote's for The Rock.

This is hard because both up are there on my favourite wrestlers list.

Sting and The Rock are both very different.Sting didnt need to say words while Rock got over talking.Sting had the gimmick..Rock didnt have that.I could go on and on but im tired from work I'm just gonna finish by saying I'm voting for Sting.

This will be a great match. I have to go with Sting on this one. The match that put Sting on the map is against the Nature Boy at Clash of the Champions, a 45 minute classic. However Sting has went toe to toe with the greatest 60 man minute man ever the Nature Boy. When it comes to 60 minute matches, I don't think of the Rock or HBK who had one that I can remember, I think of Ric Flair, Barry Windham, Ricky Steamboat, Dusty Rhodes. All of which Sting has wrestled against, and the Rock hasn't. Sting has to be the winner here. This isn't a talking contest it's a wrestling match.

I didn't even need to look at the agruments, I was going to vote for sting. And honestly if he wins this he should win the final round. Sting is bigger imo than Austin or Lesnar, and it would be a damn shame to see him lose in this tournie. Now that match would be if he wins this, he has a lead at the moment. But as we know all leads can be blown in a matter of hours.

Sting, to me is more tallented and better on the mic. Rocky is a good dude, and a hell of a mic worker. But for the past twenty-five years Sting has been a top tier tallent and a hell of an asset to any company he is in. That's why he is still wrestling in his 50's, still wrestling good matches. We as good as you can have in your 50's.

But to me it's Sting, and he should win this round and the next. I voted for him here and I will vote for him next round, no matter the opponet.

Close but I give it to Sting. In a talk off Rock wins every day of the week but unfortunately for him this isn't a talk off.

Despite his immense popularity Rocky was fairly limited in the ring, the same can not be said of Sting. Sting has had epic encounters, and often beaten, men far better in the ring than The Rock. People like Ric Flair, AJ Styles and Kurt Angle would all attest to this. I think that as the veteran that he is Sting would capitalise on this weakness and win a long, hard fought match.

Really Rock is actually close to matching Sting?Sting would win this clean anyday.

Sting has been in this company longer then rock,was there for the whole of WCW,was basically the face of WCW and is argueably the most well known wrestler to never sign with WWE.If he came back and did the dream match of Sting vs Taker at wm28 then was would most likely be bigger then Cena and Rock because Sting and Taker is about two men,both legends,both similar gimmicks,taker has a streak of 19-0 at wrestlemania,Sting is the only one left who hasnt faced taker that actually could end the streak and do we really want to see HHH/Taker 3?

This match to Sting in a hard fought battle with the rock tapping to the deathlock at 15:20.

I Bring It. No, I mean it this time. No flip-flopping between him and Cena here. Against Sting, I'm voting for The Rock. Two reasons for that. The first is that there's a precedent I can use to justify Lesnar beating Rock in the finals. I'd really like to see Lesnar win this thing and while I feel he can overcome Sting, there's an easier argument for Lesnar against the third generation superstar. The second reason I'm voting for Rock is that he's managed to keep the aura surrounding him at a fever pitch among wrestling fans for over a decade. While Sting is wildly popular for a wrestler and participated in one of the biggest matches of all time, Sting's longevity has weakened his appeal. Rock, on the other hand, still knows how to make the people beg for him to bring it. As Sam said, I don't think there's any reason we should hold Rock's ability to find massive success in no time flat against him. He was and is simply more bankable than Sting has been at any point in his career with one exception. And I'm sorry, I like Sting, but his return to the national scene in TNA wasn't as big as you'd expect of a star of Sting's magnitude and his WWE debut wouldn't generate the same interest that Rock's return has. That's real talk. Holla.

I also think it's worth noting that Rock was no slouch in the ring. His matches against the likes of Triple H, Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, and Mick Foley are as exciting as they come and some of the fondest television memories of my youth. Don't let the fact that Sting got to go an hour with Ric Flair blind you to Rock's more than adequate capability in the squared circle. All of Sting's ring prowess doesn't negate how well Rock did within the constraints of his era.

Sting is bigger imo than Austin or Lesnar, and it would be a damn shame to see him lose in this tournie. Now that match would be if he wins this, he has a lead at the moment. But as we know all leads can be blown in a matter of hours.

Sting is big yes, but by no means does he out shine Austin. Austin is one of those rare birds that can't be matched, and as much I believe that Rocky is one of the reasons that Austin is who he is, Austin still that it factor that pushed him quick, and still has him as one of the biggest figures in wrestling. Ever, if not the biggest.

Back to topic.

Sting, to me is more tallented and better on the mic. Rocky is a good dude, and a hell of a mic worker. But for the past twenty-five years Sting has been a top tier tallent and a hell of an asset to any company he is in. That's why he is still wrestling in his 50's, still wrestling good matches. We as good as you can have in your 50's.

You're really trying to tell me Sting's better than Rock on the mic? No way! Not happening. Sting has been a great over the period of time, but if you look at Rock's 7 year run its easy to see that he probably did more for wrestling and in wrestling than anyone in a short span. He helped build the greatest era's in wrestling. He built the best feud/rivalry ever IMO with Austin. He had the biggest match in wrestling in the last 20 years between himself and Hogan. In his short seven year career He accomplished a ton.

You're really trying to tell me Sting's better than Rock on the mic? No way! Not happening.

This may be one of the only places where the Rock truly trumps the Stinger, but it isn't like anyone has said otherwise. Why the Rock stayed and continue to stay relevant, why he is still loved by so many, is because of his mouth and the stuff he says. The guy knows how to talk, he knows how to keep his promo's interesting. But saying that Sting was bad or that he sucked on the shtick isn't true either. We have to look at both of their characters, they're immensely different. Rock has always had a much more open gimmick, and he's always had a lot of freedom with his promo's. While his opponent has always been sort of limited, because of what his whole persona entails. His character is so much different, so much more complex. Yet he always seemed to be able to change it up and the way he did incorporate his religious beliefs was also really well done. I know everyone wants to say that Rock was leaps and bounds better and maybe he was, but they weren't or they aren't the same person. They both have different characters and they're both going to speak or cut promo's in a different way because of this. In the end, it comes down to what style you like more. So of course, the Rock will always prevail. But I just feel like the Stinger deserves a heck of a lot more credit, and I'd like to see Mr. Bring It try and fill his shoes. Because that's the thing, nobody does the darkish character better than Sting.

Sting has been a great over the period of time, but if you look at Rock's 7 year run its easy to see that he probably did more for wrestling and in wrestling than anyone in a short span.

The Rock did more for wrestling? I can't agree with this. Rock did do a lot in his era, yes. But have you seen the matches Sting partook in? There were grueling 60 minute matches, tag team matches against some of the greatest in the company at that time, victorious title matches, etc. He did everything he could do in the WCW, he was the face of that company and he stayed at the top far longer than the Rock had in the WWF. He taught the younger guys the ropes, heck, he fought Steve Austin when he was "Stunning" and not "Stone Cold" The guy won the WCW World Heavyweight Championship 6 times for gods sake! Is that not enough? And everyone knows about what Dwayne Johnson has done, everyone who's a wrestling fan knows. But rarely did Rock's matches ever compare to what Sting put on in his prime, and I mean rarely. Being charismatic? Only gets you so far. And this isn't a battle of who has more fans, it is a battle of skill. Sting has much more of it, and we also have to look at these long matches he's been through too. He's used to having to pull through long bouts like this tournament has been, he's even won a Iron Man Tournament and a King of Cable Tournament back in WCW. I can understand how people could argue that maybe, just maybe, he's done more for wrestling, but he hasn't done the most in wrestling and that's a fact.

He helped build the greatest era's in wrestling. He built the best feud/rivalry ever IMO with Austin. He had the biggest match in wrestling in the last 20 years between himself and Hogan. In his short seven year career He accomplished a ton.

Did he help build one of the greatest era's? Definitely, I'm not going to take that away from him. But Sting? He helped build a whole damn company. There is still a big difference and did Sting ever leave? Did he ever take a random break to star in a movie? No. He sticked to that company through the thick and the thin, something Rock never did. You can argue that WCW failed anyways and that it was a failure of a company and I won't argue, everyone is welcome to have their own opinion. But just because you didn't care about wrestling then, doesn't mean you should ignore it. The company was still very much a success for a very long time, and fans still packed into arena's to watch them, specifically Sting. I have no doubt that he was one of the reasons why they even lasted as long as they did, and why there were still people who clinged on to the company until its last breath. Rock's rivalry with Austin was great, and nobody will ever forget it, but I think this is more of a case of Rock/Austin being a little more relevant than anything else. If Sting/Flair and all the moments they shared would have happened in the WWF (thank god they didn't), I have a feeling that people would be giving it so much more respect. And yes, Rock wrestled great matches with a lot of great people, but so did Sting. Do Ric Flair, The Road Warriors, The Steiner Brothers, Vader, The Wolfpac, a young Steve Austin or Rick Rude ring a bell? Again, I feel like this is more ignorance towards old school wrestling more than anything. Please, go and watch Sting versus Ric Flair. Doesn't matter which match, hopefully then, you'll realize who you should vote or who you should've voted for. That's all, my vote is going to Sting.

Sting is big yes, but by no means does he out shine Austin. Austin is one of those rare birds that can't be matched, and as much I believe that Rocky is one of the reasons that Austin is who he is, Austin still that it factor that pushed him quick, and still has him as one of the biggest figures in wrestling. Ever, if not the biggest. Back to topic.
Ok so a man who has been huge for over twenty years wont match up to Austin, who in some peoples eyes had his run from 1996-2001. Here is the small thing about it though, you say he might he one of the biggest figures in wrestling if not ever, if that list is a list of five sting will be allways ahead of him.

You're really trying to tell me Sting's better than Rock on the mic? No way! Not happening.
looking back I loved Rock on the Mic, but now I realise that it's just all pitches to get into his catchphrases. While that is funny to me now aganst Cena, Sting could tell a story without being on the mic. Hrmmm idn the few years he did'nt talk after his Crow gimmick. His surfer gimmick promo's are also very well on top of the game to.

Sting has been a great over the period of time, but if you look at Rock's 7 year run its easy to see that he probably did more for wrestling and in wrestling than anyone in a short span.
Hmmm, funny story about that? Didn't Sting help Wcw to beat Wwf in the ratings war. That's a pretty big part of wrestling history if you ask me.

He helped build the greatest era's in wrestling. He built the best feud/rivalry ever IMO with Austin. He had the biggest match in wrestling in the last 20 years between himself and Hogan. In his short seven year career He accomplished a ton.

And in twenty five years sting has doubled what Rock has done, look at all the people the Rock has beaten. Sting if they were in the same company as him, has beaten them. Sting dosen't diserve to lose to the Rock just because of the fan boys.

My vote goes to The Rock. Basically all I've read from the Sting supporters is that he has been around longer so he wins. I'm not buying it. The Rock was at the top of the number one wrestling company ever during its peak period. Sting can't say that. The Rock is far superior on the mic and just as good in the ring. One of the biggest fallacies I see in this thread is that Sting was an amazing in ring worker and Rock sucked. Bullshit. The Rock is very underrated in the ring and every bit as good as Sting. Everyone talks about Sting's 45 minute bouts with Flair but I guarantee that if the Rock was given 45 minutes with a prime Flair he would put on just as good of a match. The Flair matches aside, I'll take any of The Rock's best matches vs any of Stings best. Give me the iron man match with Triple H and the Mania 17 match with Austin vs anything Sting has. I'm a big Sting fan. He is an icon and a legend, but he has met his match here.

This may be one of the only places where the Rock truly trumps the Stinger, but it isn't like anyone has said otherwise. Why the Rock stayed and continue to stay relevant, why he is still loved by so many, is because of his mouth and the stuff he says. The guy knows how to talk, he knows how to keep his promo's interesting. But saying that Sting was bad or that he sucked on the shtick isn't true either.

Not saying that Sting's sucks on the mic, just said he doesn't match up with Rock.

We have to look at both of their characters, they're immensely different. Rock has always had a much more open gimmick, and he's always had a lot of freedom with his promo's. While his opponent has always been sort of limited, because of what his whole persona entails. His character is so much different, so much more complex. Yet he always seemed to be able to change it up and the way he did incorporate his religious beliefs was also really well done. I know everyone wants to say that Rock was leaps and bounds better and maybe he was, but they weren't or they aren't the same person. They both have different characters and they're both going to speak or cut promo's in a different way because of this. In the end, it comes down to what style you like more. So of course, the Rock will always prevail. But I just feel like the Stinger deserves a heck of a lot more credit, and I'd like to see Mr. Bring It try and fill his shoes. Because that's the thing, nobody does the darkish character better than Sting.

I will agree that they are different characters. Sting has done a marvolous job evolving his character. Though I will disagree that Sting is the best at the darker character. I seem to remember this guy named the Undertaker, but that's besides the point.

The Rock did more for wrestling? I can't agree with this. Rock did do a lot in his era, yes. But have you seen the matches Sting partook in?

Yes, in the short period of time, along with Austin he revolutionized wrestling. I've seen Sting's matches, I love his matches, I'm still entertained by his matches even to this day. However, in the brief period that Rock was a full time wrestler how can one not say he did an amazing amount for the business. He was fantastic on the mic, developing possibly the two greatest feuds to come out of the attitude era. (With Austin, and HHH.)

There were grueling 60 minute matches, tag team matches against some of the greatest in the company at that time, victorious title matches, etc. He did everything he could do in the WCW, he was the face of that company and he stayed at the top far longer than the Rock had in the WWF. He taught the younger guys the ropes, heck, he fought Steve Austin when he was "Stunning" and not "Stone Cold" The guy won the WCW World Heavyweight Championship 6 times for gods sake!

Yes, Sting has had those matches, look at what Rock has done as well. He's had iron man matches, he's had possibly two of the most memorable matches in Wrestlemania history, against Austin and Hogan. You're going to bring up Stunning Steve Austin? A guy that WCW saw no talent and was only good in a tag team while in WCW. Rock in 4 years as a consistent main eventer had 7 WWF title reigns and won the WCW title twice. Four years, compared to Stings what 10 in WCW? Yes, I know there are the NWA titles, the Tna titles, and Sting over the duration of his career has won more titles. Though, let's say Rock stayed full time until 04. He would have been the main star and had most likely at least 3 more title reigns.

Is that not enough? And everyone knows about what Dwayne Johnson has done, everyone who's a wrestling fan knows. But rarely did Rock's matches ever compare to what Sting put on in his prime, and I mean rarely. Being charismatic? Only gets you so far. And this isn't a battle of who has more fans, it is a battle of skill. Sting has much more of it, and we also have to look at these long matches he's been through too.

Not saying it isn't, but a lot of people like to over look The Rock's in ring ability. He has had great matches, Ladder match with Triple h at summerslam in 98. Then with the Iron man match they had. Pick an Austin match he had. Look at his matches with Kurt Angle, and Chris Beniot. I also consider his triple threat match at Vengeance with Angle, and Taker in 02 to be one of the best triple threats I've seen. Rocky isn't as big of slouch in the ring as many say he is. Could it be because of who's wrestling? Possibly, but it takes two to tango.

He's used to having to pull through long bouts like this tournament has been, he's even won a Iron Man Tournament and a King of Cable Tournament back in WCW. I can understand how people could argue that maybe, just maybe, he's done more for wrestling, but he hasn't done the most in wrestling and that's a fact.

I wasn't denying Sting's skill and ability.

Did he help build one of the greatest era's? Definitely, I'm not going to take that away from him. But Sting? He helped build a whole damn company. There is still a big difference and did Sting ever leave? Did he ever take a random break to star in a movie? No. He sticked to that company through the thick and the thin, something Rock never did. You can argue that WCW failed anyways and that it was a failure of a company and I won't argue, everyone is welcome to have their own opinion. But just because you didn't care about wrestling then, doesn't mean you should ignore it. The company was still very much a success for a very long time, and fans still packed into arena's to watch them, specifically Sting. I have no doubt that he was one of the reasons why they even lasted as long as they did, and why there were still people who clinged on to the company until its last breath.

You're not going to get any argument from me. He was the foundations of WCW. Like you said he kept it going. Sting's gimmick in 96-97 was amazing, and the reason so many people tuned into to watch nitro. That's why I did. Though the Rock, and Austin brought WWF back from the edge. A lot of people will say, "What are you talking about? It was all Austin. If it was only Austin then there is no way it would have lasted. Austin vs Vince could only last so long. WWF needed another star. They were competing against the likes of Hogan, Sting, Flair, Nash, and Hall. One man by himself could not have done it. Enter the Rock. Rock was major Heel that needed to take the place of Vince to go at Austin. The fans caught on and love him and turned him face. The Rock is just as important to the WWF at the time, as Sting was to WCW.

Rock's rivalry with Austin was great, and nobody will ever forget it, but I think this is more of a case of Rock/Austin being a little more relevant than anything else. If Sting/Flair and all the moments they shared would have happened in the WWF (thank god they didn't), I have a feeling that people would be giving it so much more respect. And yes, Rock wrestled great matches with a lot of great people, but so did Sting. Do Ric Flair, The Road Warriors, The Steiner Brothers, Vader, The Wolfpac, a young Steve Austin or Rick Rude ring a bell?

The Austin/Rock rivalry was one that set the tone for an era. It set the standard for anything that has come after it. Take a look at these stars now. Who are they viewed as? The next Rock, or Austin. Who's going to play this guy in the feud. When has that ever happened in any other Rivalry? I can't remember, honestly. Perhaps with Flair/and Sting, but I don't remember these two being linked to that.

Yes, I know those guys, and the matches he had with them were fantastic, but the Rock's is just as impressive in my eyes. Guys Like Austin, Mick Foley, Triple H, Undertaker, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Chris Beniot. All of whom are remembered as great wrestlers.

Again, I feel like this is more ignorance towards old school wrestling more than anything. Please, go and watch Sting versus Ric Flair. Doesn't matter which match, hopefully then, you'll realize who you should vote or who you should've voted for. That's all, my vote is going to Sting.

I have watched, them, and I love those matches. Each were great. I still am happy with my vote. In my eyes Rock deserves to win.

I've already posted in this thread but, for those of you who don't view WrestleZone at fifty posts a page, that was two pages ago. Two whole pages! And who doesn't mind being slapped about the face by pointless reiteration? Everyone; that's who. In fact, why not kill two birds with one stone and reiterate what Big Sexy was saying - just a post ago - simultaneously?

The Rock may not have been around as long as Sting, but he didn't have to be. The density of his accomplishments were insane. He didn't leave because he was burnt out. He left because he ascended from wrestling. He left because he got so big. And it's not exactly even as if he's done yet. Like I pointed out, Rock is now the same age as Sting was when Sting adopted the Crow gimmick. The Rock just agreed to participate in the biggest wrestling match since, well, since The Rock wrestled Hulk Hogan.

I mean, shit, here's Big Sexy's post again. I found myself repeating what was pretty much the same basic point - he's just less abrasive about it:

My vote goes to The Rock. Basically all I've read from the Sting supporters is that he has been around longer so he wins. I'm not buying it. The Rock was at the top of the number one wrestling company ever during its peak period. Sting can't say that. The Rock is far superior on the mic and just as good in the ring. One of the biggest fallacies I see in this thread is that Sting was an amazing in ring worker and Rock sucked. Bullshit. The Rock is very underrated in the ring and every bit as good as Sting. Everyone talks about Sting's 45 minute bouts with Flair but I guarantee that if the Rock was given 45 minutes with a prime Flair he would put on just as good of a match. The Flair matches aside, I'll take any of The Rock's best matches vs any of Stings best. Give me the iron man match with Triple H and the Mania 17 match with Austin vs anything Sting has. I'm a big Sting fan. He is an icon and a legend, but he has met his match here.

High five, bro!

One of the biggest fallacies I see in this thread is that Sting was an amazing in ring worker and Rock sucked. Bullshit. The Rock is very underrated in the ring and every bit as good as Sting.

Reiteration. Fuck yeah.

My vote goes to The Rock. Basically all I've read from the Sting supporters is that he has been around longer so he wins. I'm not buying it. The Rock was at the top of the number one wrestling company ever during its peak period. Sting can't say that.

YES HE CAN!!! Why can't you look back at the facts! Sting was a top draw just like rock in Wcw's hayday! Goldberg was the only other top face that can really lay claim to that like sting. When wwe had it's ratings boost Rock and Austin were the two big names, just like Sting and Goldberg. So yes Sting can say he was on top of the #1 wrestling company in the world, when Wcw was winning the monday night wars.

The Rock is far superior on the mic and just as good in the ring. One of the biggest fallacies I see in this thread is that Sting was an amazing in ring worker and Rock sucked. Bullshit. The Rock is very underrated in the ring and every bit as good as Sting.

I don't think Rocky is any better on the Stick than Sting, but I will agree that he was as good in the ring.

I'm not trying to argue that I don't like the rock, but I like Sting more. Sting is my favorite of all time, but I grew up on both men! So don't try and bash me, I enjoy both of them I just believe that this year should be Stings year.

Ok so a man who has been huge for over twenty years wont match up to Austin, who in some peoples eyes had his run from 1996-2001. Here is the small thing about it though, you say he might he one of the biggest figures in wrestling if not ever, if that list is a list of five sting will be allways ahead of him.

:lmao: Let's see. Once again, look at the amount of time Austin had compared to Sting. If you take Sting's best 7 years and put up against Austin's I don't see it. Prove me wrong. Five best, Hogan, Austin, Flair, Michaels, Hart, pretty sure that's what the majority of the boards will say.

looking back I loved Rock on the Mic, but now I realise that it's just all pitches to get into his catchphrases. While that is funny to me now aganst Cena, Sting could tell a story without being on the mic. Hrmmm idn the few years he did'nt talk after his Crow gimmick. His surfer gimmick promo's are also very well on top of the game to.

Not denying that. In my original post on this thread I said the same thing. Rock used the mic, Sting didn't have to. Both are great IMO. Though Rock could tell a story in the ring as well.

Hmmm, funny story about that? Didn't Sting help Wcw to beat Wwf in the ratings war. That's a pretty big part of wrestling history if you ask me.

:lmao: Want to know a better one? Rock helped put WCW out of business. :rolleyes: I remember that being a bigger part of wrestling history.

And in twenty five years sting has doubled what Rock has done, look at all the people the Rock has beaten. Sting if they were in the same company as him, has beaten them. Sting dosen't diserve to lose to the Rock just because of the fan boys.

Yes, in 25 years he's doubled that. Take Sting's best 7 years and stack them up against the Rock, and you tell me who's better in that period. Yes, it's harder to judge because Rock had a shorter career, but in no means should that hurt him. He should be applauded for being able to do what he did in the time that he did. Look at who's Rock faced and beat, I've listen them in another post, it's impressive.

Last time I checked, this was based on the vote of fan boys, whether they be for Sting or for Rocky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back