Are The Lakers Done?

PlayTheGame

The Cerebral Assassin
Before I go on, I want to fully admit that I am extremely biased, as I am a fan of the Lakers and want them to succeed this season.

Now, on to the point. The Lakers have a sub-.500 record. Critics have said the D'Antoni hiring was a mistake. Many are saying the team is not and will not gell. Injuries have piled up on an older roster.

But things originally looked so bright. Acquiring Nash, Jamison, & Howard were HUGE moves. With guys like Kobe, Metta, and Gasol still around, it appeared the Lakers were going for titles in the next couple of years. However, injuries and losses piled up, resulting in Mike Brown's early-season firing. It was heavily rumored that Phil Jackson would return, but instead Laker management controversially hired Mike D'Antoni. Will they recover and make it to the playoffs, or are cohesion and injury issues too much for them?

Now, I know the "popular answer" that everyone on ESPN regurgitates is that "injuries have piled up, let's wait and see", but I'm looking for more than that. When they get fully healthy, how far do you see the Lakers going? How much success do you think they can have/will they have? Give your prediction.

Here's my take: they have plenty of time to turn it around. Critics are grossly overstating their collapse when you realize how early it still is in the season. Pre-Christmas basketball usually doesn't matter all that much, sort of like early-season baseball. Veteran teams tend to find another gear as the season progresses. I think the Lakers will do just that. Kobe is as hot as ever. Nash and Gasol will benefit each other when they are consistently able to play together. And Howard will be the defensive backbone of the team. They probably don't have the chemistry to win it all this year, but I see them making it relatively deep into the playoffs. However, like the Heat in year 2 of the Big Three, I could see the Lakers winning a championship next year. What's your opinion?

I remember the Heat team a couple years ago being a sup-par .500 team when they first started playing together, shortly after Christmas they started to gel pretty well so I guess the only answer here is to wait and see what happens.

They could still make it to the Western Conference Championship if they avoid OKC and San Antonio on their way there. But they'll lose to one of them. Maybe even the Clippers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back