Amiibo

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
2lm85ec.jpg

Amiibos are figurines that store data, designed for use with various games for the Nintendo Wii U and 3DS. They resemble the figurines of the Skylander and Disney Infinity series. How they work is that they use Near Field Communication to interact with the console, allowing you to do cool things such as unlocking outfits for your Mii character in Mario Kart and training a Figure Player in Smash Bros to compete with/against humans or other figures. Some only work with some games. Pikachu, for example, is not compatible with Mario Kart while others like Mario or Luigi are. Every Amiibo works with Smash Bros. Check to see which games it can be use with to prevent confusion.

Here are a list of the games currently compatible with Amiibos:

Wii U
Super Smash Bros Wii U
Mario Kart 8
Hyrule Warriors
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Yoshi's Woolly World
Mario Party 10
Star Fox for Wii U

Nintendo 3DS
Super Smash Bros Nintendo 3DS
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy Plus
One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X

Also, here is a list of the current Amiibos as well as those with upcoming releases:

Mario
Nov 21, 2014

Peach from Mario
Nov 21, 2014

Yoshi from Mario
Nov 21, 2014

Donkey Kong
Nov 21, 2014

Link from Zelda
Nov 21, 2014

Fox from Star Fox
Nov 21, 2014

Samus Aran from Metroid
Nov 21, 2014

Wii Fit Trainer from Wii Fit
Nov 21, 2014

Villager from Animal Crossing
Nov 21, 2014

Pikachu from Pokémon
Nov 21, 2014

Kirby
Nov 21, 2014

Marth from Fire Emblem
Nov 21, 2014

Zelda
Dec 14, 2014

Diddy Kong from Donkey Kong
Dec 14, 2014

Luigi from Mario
Dec 14, 2014

Little Mac from Punch-Out!!
Dec 14, 2014

Captain Falcon from F-Zero
Dec 14, 2014

Pit from Kid Icarus
Dec 14, 2014

Rosalina and Luma from Super Mario Galaxy
Jan 22, 2015 JP
Feb 2015 US: Target exclusive

Bowser from Mario
Jan 22, 2015 JP
Feb 2015 US

Lucario from Pokémon
Jan 22, 2015 JP
Feb 2015 US: Toys R Us exclusive

Toon Link from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Jan 22, 2015 JP
Feb 2015 US

Sheik from Zelda
Jan 22, 2015 JP
Feb 2015 US

King Dedede from Kirby
Jan 22, 2015 JP
Feb 2015 US

Meta Knight from Kirby
Jan 22, 2015 JP
Feb 2015 US: Best Buy exclusive

Ike from Fire Emblem
Jan 22, 2015 JP
Feb 2015 US

Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles
Feb 2015 JP
Feb 2015 US: Gamestop and EB Games exclusive

Sonic the Hedgehog
Feb 2015

Mega Man
Feb 2015

What are your thoughts on Amiibos and the technology behind how they work?

Are there any in particular that you are on the lookout for?

Are you training one or more in Smash Bros? Tell us about it. Share some stories of cool battles your Figure Player may have had at this point if you have any.

I personally think it's a really awesome technology. To be able to train a figurine to its 50th level in Smash Bros and see it defeat all your friends as well as their own figurines is fun. Then there's the potential for Amiibo Figure Player tag teams, and more. There's so much that they can learn. I have a Link named Theron and a Peach named Kirilah (WZCW will get the reference) who have both reached level 50 in Smash Bros. I also have a Luigi who is currently training. I'm looking to get Rosalina for certain when she is released, I already have a name (Kaleesta) and Smash Bros in-game gear planned for her. I'm leaning toward either Bowser or Lucario as well.

How about you? Any thoughts on topic within the forum's rules on the subject of Amiibos are welcome. I can't want to see your responses.

Discuss! :)

My first question is how hard is it to train yourself up to level 50? Because otherwise, this sounds like a very easy way to beat your friends without having to get that good yourself. I'm not wild on the idea of beefing up a computer to be able to defeat someone. Unless I'm misunderstanding it, are these things basically saying "My computer can beat up your computer?" Back in my day we made our own characters and built them up so we could battle against each other, not against the pre-made characters controlled by a computer to make them level up faster. I don't get the appeal here, especially if they're characters you already have for the most part.

My first question is how hard is it to train yourself up to level 50? Because otherwise, this sounds like a very easy way to beat your friends without having to get that good yourself.

Your characters don't level up. Computer characters can be set from level 1 to level 9, with 9 being the most intelligent and 1 being the least. The amiibo Figure Players level up because of the data that the figurine stores, thus it gets smarter. I don't see it as an easy way to beat your friends. It's a way to challenge them and help them also improve, if the Figure Player ends up being difficult to defeat when it becomes level 50. It doesn't take too long to get them to level 50. I got Link and Peach there in a week, Luigi would be there now too but I held off on it due to an idea I have for him later down the line.

I'm not wild on the idea of beefing up a computer to be able to defeat someone. Unless I'm misunderstanding it, are these things basically saying "My computer can beat up your computer?"

Yeah, kind of. Getting together to see if your amiibo can beat others' is common in all of the local Smash Bros groups I've played with. As is entering the amiibos into single elimination tournaments, where they often end up facing human controlled characters. A human has won each of these tournaments, but the amiibos keep learning from the humans they face as well as computers and other Figure Players they face. I felt the same way as you at first, I'd rather win by myself and saw the amiibo thing as just a novelty. When it comes down to it, they still are. I do both. I win on my own, but also like to see how people do against my Link or my Peach. They learn more each time, so it's win/win really.

Back in my day we made our own characters and built them up so we could battle against each other, not against the pre-made characters controlled by a computer to make them level up faster. I don't get the appeal here, especially if they're characters you already have for the most part.

See, this is where it gets cool. A level 50 Figure Player Pikachu is VASTLY different from a level 9 computer controlled Pikachu. The Figure Player's skills in battle depend on what the figurine has stored in the matches you scanned it in for. No two amiibos are ever the same, whereas a level 9 Ness is always going to be a level 9 Ness no matter who's copy of the game you play, for example. They are completely optional and simply icing on the cake, but add to the overall enjoyment and provide you with cool extra stuff in other games or someone else to fight in Smash Bros.

I'm pretty addicted to Amiibo. I have 17 of the 18 wave 1 and 2 and for 3 and 4 I have them all preordered.

All of them are still in boxes as I want to decide what to do with them. I like some of the figures way more than the others and I think the Pit figure looks great.

I can't wait to see Mr. Game and Watch Amiibo!

2q1s01y.jpg

Rosalina has joined my amiibo collection. My others are Link, Peach, and Luigi. Bowser will be my next one. Rosalina being Target Exclusive here made her much more difficult to get, and I almost missed out on the opportunity because the people at the local store gave me the wrong release date. Still lucked out and was able to purchase one. She's compatible with Smash Bros and Mario Party 10. I was hoping she'd be able to be used in Mario Kart for another unlockable Mii costume, but oh well. Can't wait to get her to level 50 in Smash Bros!

Wave 4 has also been announced for later this year. Here are the scheduled releases....

Charizard
Lucina
Ness
Pac-Man
Robin
Wario

Any thoughts on the potential newcomers? Robin amiibos are going to be absolutely lethal in Smash Bros. I want both Robin and Ness once these get released.

Pre orders are already sold out of wave 4 and it pisses me off.

How the hell did you get Rosalina. One of two I'm missing from the first 25.

Pre orders are already sold out of wave 4 and it pisses me off.

How the hell did you get Rosalina. One of two I'm missing from the first 25.

I know that she was a Target Exclusive here in the US, so she's nearly impossible to find at the moment, the store here in town sold out the very same day she got released. The fact that I got one despite being given the wrong release date was a miracle. Was she an exclusive in the UK too? You might have to try online if she's as rare there as here.

Damn Nintendo making me wanna spend money with nice art style and not broken AAA games. :p

Seriously those I want these things but can't decide If a wanna get a New 3DS XL after I foolishly bought only downloadable games (didn't know buying the physical game didn't use up any SD space) on my old one.

Maybe I'll finally cave in and get a Wii U, does it have all the apps the PS4 has?

I know that she was a Target Exclusive here in the US, so she's nearly impossible to find at the moment, the store here in town sold out the very same day she got released. The fact that I got one despite being given the wrong release date was a miracle. Was she an exclusive in the UK too? You might have to try online if she's as rare there as here.

Not an exclusive just people bought the preorders up quickly. Her Shulk, Meta Knight and King DeDeDe will be eBay jobs.

Charizard, Wario and PacMan have been put back I think. They're wave 4 and got them on preorder. Lucina, Robin and Ness will be eBay jobs too.

Tomorrow Wii Fit trainer arrives and today I got Sonic and Mega Man.

B_HxVW8WwAEhnn0.jpg

I've also got the full Mario collection on preorder. I may buy another Toad one to customise as Captain Toad.

Gold Mario does not have a release date in the UK yet.

Today I FINALLY got WiiFit trainer. In addition I had to resort to eBay for Meta Knight. Rosalina, Dedede and Shulk left before wave 4 comes out.

The Meta Knight Amiibo is strange. It has some good detail but it's clearly obvious it's hand painted. Thought it was interesting.

Just read something on the Super Mario series of Amiibos that caught my attention. The Super Mario Amiibo series are apparently still going to be compatible with Smash Bros. Bowser, Luigi, Mario, Peach, and Yoshi will now have more than one Amiibo that can be used. It will be interesting to see the differences between a Smash Bros series Bowser Amiibo and a Super Mario series Bowser Amiibo, for instance. Gold Mario is supposedly compatible as well. I'm wondering how that would work. New Mario outfit? That makes three different Mario's potentially. All compatible with Smash Bros.

Trivial note: Toad (Super Mario series) is so far the ONLY Amiibo that is not compatible with Smash Bros. I'm sure the Smash Bros development staff is now wishing they had added Toad as a playable character back when they had the chance.

Yeah it was a strange decision not to put him in. Not Toad per se but Captain Toad. I'm hoping to get two Toad Amiibo's to customise one to a Cpt. Toad one.

Kiiiiiiiiing Dedede!
B_7pwtvWMAAC-f2.jpg

My 27th out of the current 29 released. Whilst Pit and Bowser are still my favourite Dedede is up there. The size and weight is great (not quite as big as Bowser) whilst the paint job is fantastic. The trim on the robe makes it look snowlike, it's great.

So it seems like Wave 4 of Smash has been put back in Europe until April.

As disappointing as it is, it's better money wise for me. It also gives me a month to try and find preorders for Ness, Lucina and Robin.

In other news the Mario line up is on its way, I should have that by Friday. Shame I can't find a spare Toad anywhere.

So it seems like Wave 4 of Smash has been put back in Europe until April.

As disappointing as it is, it's better money wise for me. It also gives me a month to try and find preorders for Ness, Lucina and Robin.

In other news the Mario line up is on its way, I should have that by Friday. Shame I can't find a spare Toad anywhere.

The only Mario lineup one I'm interested in is Gold Mario but it's another exclusive here in the states. I'm undecided on whether I want to go through that again after how difficult it was to get Rosalina. I'll have to decide within the next 24 hours given how fast it will sell out. Robin and Ness are at the very top of my priority list for purchasing Wave 4 Amiibos. "Spring 2015" is all I can find anywhere on release dates which is frustrating. Something more specific would be nice. Either way.... I'm getting both. Gold Mario may end up having to be through Amazon if I don't attend the release at the local Walmart.

I'm sure I read wave 4 would be April for NA. Was only last week I saw that so you may have missed the date.

The gold Mario has not been announced for Europe yet, which sucks.

New Amiibo day.

Toad:
CAvD_iQWYAEOO1i.jpg

I quite like the Toad Amiibo, he's rather happy and cute. Fits well with the Mario Party games. I am buying another two to make Cpt Toad and Toadette.

Luigi:
CAvEUT0WwAAFHuS.jpg

The difference isn't noticeable in the picture (aside from obvious pose differences) but the MP has the better face than Smash Luigi. It has more details on it. Strangely though the bottom of the Smash one is better because it has darker shoes and the buttons are brass coloured rather than yellow.

Yoshi:

CAvEVh8WQAEeU7b.jpg

I think they may have got the MP and Smash ones the wrong way. Yoshi in the MP one looks more like he's up for a fight, whilst Smash Yoshi is very jovial.

Bowser
CAvEWnkWkAA-a0s.jpg

I can't pick which one I prefer, both are pretty good. The weight and size works well in addition to the colours being darker on Smash Bowser.

Peach and Mario still to come, I'll do a comparison when I get them.

New Amiibo day.

Toad:
CAvD_iQWYAEOO1i.jpg

I quite like the Toad Amiibo, he's rather happy and cute. Fits well with the Mario Party games. I am buying another two to make Cpt Toad and Toadette.

Luigi:
CAvEUT0WwAAFHuS.jpg

The difference isn't noticeable in the picture (aside from obvious pose differences) but the MP has the better face than Smash Luigi. It has more details on it. Strangely though the bottom of the Smash one is better because it has darker shoes and the buttons are brass coloured rather than yellow.

Yoshi:

CAvEVh8WQAEeU7b.jpg

I think they may have got the MP and Smash ones the wrong way. Yoshi in the MP one looks more like he's up for a fight, whilst Smash Yoshi is very jovial.

Bowser
CAvEWnkWkAA-a0s.jpg

I can't pick which one I prefer, both are pretty good. The weight and size works well in addition to the colours being darker on Smash Bowser.

Peach and Mario still to come, I'll do a comparison when I get them.

I like the Mario series Luigi a lot more than the Smash series Luigi. Bowser also looks really cool. Looking forward to seeing you make the same comparison for Peach and Mario. I wonder what happens when someone tries to import Toad into Smash Bros since he is the only Amiibo that is not compatible. Some strange warning message probably pops up. Did you try yet? What about seeing if anything different happens for Bowser and the others who now have two?

I ended up deciding against attending the Gold Mario release. I happened to be at Walmart needing to get groceries at 6PM that day so I went to electronics to check out the line. Sure enough, there were already 4 people in line. It was a work night and I didn't feel it was worth sitting there 6 hours for. I could have gotten one had I sat down there in the line at that exact moment and not gone anywhere until midnight, according to a friend of mine they sold out in 5 minutes. You have to make that decision sometimes on if you want something THAT badly or not. Had it been Rosalina instead, I'd have considered it. As cool as Gold Mario looks, it wasn't worth it. I'll get one but by buying one through Amazon. Robin and Ness still come up as "Spring 2015" here so I'll ask my local Game Stop about it sometime this week.

I've not tried them yet, I'll try Toad tomorrow as I'll be opening the box for him.

I still don't know if they're releasing Gold Mario in the UK or not. If not I'll buy one from eBay but if they are I'll just wait.

If you see the Luigi up close the dungaree detail is much better on the smash one but it looks better overall on Mario Party.

I was a little disappointed that Amiibo can only hold data for one game. I understand the limitation - you're only paying $10-13 per figure after all - but it's still disappointing.

Honestly the exclusivity and the lack of stock was a big turn-off for me. If Nintendo made a certain amount expecting X sales, and they over-performed, fine. But the way it came off was they (and retailers) were intentionally making certain ones limited and rare. Sort of the same issue I had with the New 3DS XL variants. I understand that limiting the market spikes sales and drives up the independent market, but it's just...frustrating.

I just want to buy your cool products guys... please let me? When I've got to fight scalpers and stand in the cold for midnight releases, and there's still a chance I can't get your extremely limited cool things, it makes me not want to get them as much. Sometimes I felt like I was fighting Nintendo to allow me to buy their awesome toys and systems.

I've sort of cooled off on it. I've been playing Smash for as long as I can remember, but my housemate went to video game school and is so much better than me. He actually went to Apex; didn't survive past the first few rounds, but he went and did OK. He's a hardcore Mega Man enthusiast, which is awesome, so I thought about picking up a Mega Amiibo, having him train it up for me, and then using it as a practice tool for getting better.

I was a little disappointed that Amiibo can only hold data for one game. I understand the limitation - you're only paying $10-13 per figure after all - but it's still disappointing.

Wait, what? I thought they could store more than one. My Link worked in both Smash Bros and Mario Kart so I figured my Rosalina would work in both Smash Bros and Mario Party. So they can be used to unlock stuff in multiple titles but can only play in one game is what you're saying? That's kind of stupid. Oh well.

It can only store one game data at a time but can unlock things.
For example Luigi in Smash can unlock MK8 stuff but its actual game data works with Smash. If Luigi MP is used it could only be either MP or Smash but not both.

It's only the MP Amiibo that are compatible save data wise with more than one game anyways.

To answer your earlier Toad question, it just says "This Amiibo is not supported by Smash Bros".

Honestly I'd only buy them to sit on my shelf with my POP figures anyways. There's obviously an appeal to them (apparently they're supposed to net Nintendo a billion dollars) but not really for me. The Hyrule Warriors extras are OK but not necessary. The Mario Kart skins are OK, but would be 100X better if they were for characters NOT ALREADY IN THE GAME (Mega Man PLEASE).

Side note: add me on Wii U (MikeKi11am) if you want to play Smash at some point. I bought Mario Kart but somebody stole my game. :(

OK new Amiibo announced:

(Releases are UK release dates)

Smash

Greninja and JigglyPuff = 29th May
Petunia, Dark Pit, Zero Suit Samus and Ganondorf = June
Olimar, Bowser Jr, Dr. Mario = July

CBielq3WgAE1zB7.png

Splatoon

All three are 29th May.

CBigriKXIAEEnVM.png

CBig5j5WAAA_wRp.png

Yoshi's Wooly Yarn

June for Europe, Q3 for North America.

CBigGfIW8AAS3uw.png

OK new Amiibo announced:

(Releases are UK release dates)

Smash

Greninja and JigglyPuff = 29th May
Petunia, Dark Pit, Zero Suit Samus and Ganondorf = June
Olimar, Bowser Jr, Dr. Mario = July

CBielq3WgAE1zB7.png

Splatoon

All three are 29th May.

CBigriKXIAEEnVM.png

CBig5j5WAAA_wRp.png

Yoshi's Wooly Yarn

June for Europe, Q3 for North America.

CBigGfIW8AAS3uw.png

Palutena is a must out of these new ones for me. The others are a maybe. It'd be somewhat tempting to get enough Bowser Jr's to make one for each Koopaling, if it wouldn't be so expensive. Splatoon's premise sounds like a reverse Mario Sunshine, trying to cover up the world with colored ink that resembles all the colorful slime you had to clean up. So, maybe I'll get one for that game. I don't plan on getting the Yoshi's Wolly Yarn game at the moment so there's no point in me buying any of that set.

Also, I heard Ness will be a Gamestop exclusive here in the states in May. Lovely. It's potentially going to be Rosalina all over again. A friend of mine works at the local Gamestop though.... Robin and Palutena better not also go the exclusive route....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back