• John Cena

• Bruno Sammartino

• Steve Austin

• Triple H

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Hulk Hogan

The Hulkster, the man many feel launched professional wrestling as a world-wide force on two separate occassions.

Ric Flair

More World Titles than fingers, Flair styled and profiled through NWA, WCW, and WWF, winning titles and wowing fans at every single stop.

Randy Savage

"Madness" is thought by many to be among the most intense superstars of all time, winning World Titles in WWF and also carrying some of the greatest feuds of all time.

Bret Hart

"The Excellence of Execution" won several world titles, IC Titles, and Tag Titles, as well as the 1993 King of the Ring. He's won numerous "Match of the Year" awards, and despite his great babyface persona, many feel his heel work in the late 90's was the best of his career.

Shawn Michaels

"The Showstopper," this man went to a singles career in the early 90's and went on to become one of the most exciting WWF Superstars ever, often stealing the show at WrestleManias.

The Undertaker

"The Deadman" has been WWF's franchise player since 1990, never lapsing in employment of loyalty. He is also known for his WrestleMania winning streak and several feuds with HUGE men.

John Cena

Still young, but he's already been handed the keys to the WWE Ferrari and has the job of driving them into the next 10 years. By far the most over superstar in the WWE right now.

Bruno Sammartino

A truly longevitous champion, this man sold out MSG more times that we can count, and once held the WWF Title for a decade solid.

Steve Austin

"Stone Cold" saved the WWF during the lowest points of the Monday Night Wars and ushered in the Attitude Era with his foul language and anti-authority rebellion.

Triple H

Gets the final nod over "The Rock" on sheer longevity, The Game has often carried WWF as a heel in the late 90's and early '00's, as leader of Evolution, or as a face currently. Also the leader of DX's best incarnation in the late 90's.

I can't vote against Shawn Michaels here. I don't expect him to win, there are too many Hogan/Hart fans on the board. And if either of those won there'd be no problem - both would deserve it.

But I don't want one of the biggest stars of all time to be underrated here, something which usually happens in this type of situation. This is a man who can carry anybody to a good match, a man who makes fans care more than anyone else, and a man who will do anything to keep his opponent safe. This man has wrestled to numerous MOTY awards, and recently won the Slammy for match of the year against Ric Flair at Wrestlemania.

He can wrestle tag team, as well as he can singles. Some of his best matches coming from possibly the most underrated team of all time. He and Marty Jannety are the reason we have the tag wrestling we all love today. When they wrestled their joint style, when they worked together and strung moves along, it was something that had never happened in the WWE before. It was something so new to McMahon he never trusted it enough to give them a proper run as tag team champions. Look at the tag division today. Full of Marty's and Shawn's. Proof enough McMahon was wrong to not trust them.

The break-up of The Rockers was one of the biggest moments in history - still spoke about today on a wide level. Something which had never been done before. That phrase keeps popping up. 'Never been done before'. It says a lot about Shawns impact on the business.

Fast Forward a little while - Shawn's WWE Champion. At one of the hardest times in the company's history. It's precisely that last sentence which makes comparisons of todays ratings compared to then so stupid. While no one's trying to pretend he was the biggest draw of the company ever, people seem to forget he was up against incredibly tough competition. Competition that the WWE hadn't seen before and hasn't seen again. Take all information from around this time with a pinch of salt if compared to anything else.

Royal Rumble 1998. Shawn fans collectively despise the PPV. It was here Shawn suffered an injury which to many others would be career ending. And for 4 years, that's what was believed. 4 years of battling, 4 years of no wrestling from the Showstopper. And then it's 2002, and we hear a woman screaming, we see Shawn coming out in the black and white. He has returned as a member of the NWO. This shows how much passion he has for the business. Not only did he come back as good as he was before, he came back a changed man. The new evoltuin of The Heartbreak Kid was here, and was better than ever.

He's 43 years old. 43, and can still go out there with the best of them. His recent feud with Jericho is proof of that. Great matches and great promos. While he appears to be slowing down lately, there's no signs of him stopping. Shawn Michaels is truely worthy of this title.

Ah ha! And here we see the inherent politicalness of the Slammy Awards.
You will note that Lou Thesz in not in the running for a Slammy Award for the incredibly petty reason that he never worked for the company. Disgusting.

With that out of the way, I'm struggling to find a reason not to vote for Sammartino. I'm not a big fan of Bruno... and I place a certain degree of blame on him for the fall of the NWA. I also don't think he pioneered in the same way a lot of the greats from that time period did. He was just a strongman Rudy Miller pulled of the streets because he looked good and would appeal to migrants.

I think failure to change the industry is the back door I'm going to use to get around voting for the old school guy (I'm really doing it out of personal bias, Sammartino should win this thing) and instead I'm going to cast my vote for Hogan.

I'm sure somebody else is going to give the Hulk Hogan speech, and I wouldn't want to deprive S... them, so I'll just say that both Hogan and Sammartino relied of charisma over wrestling ability, Hogan can be credited for changing the face of professional wrestling to better sit his style... where as Sammartino spend the bulk of his carer looking like a poor mans Lou Thesz.

I am a child of the 80s, and therefore there is only one choice here: the Immortal, Hulk Hogan. Let's go through the rest of the list anyway though.

Flair- What really is left to say here? This guy did it all, but one big thing sticks out in my mind, and I know this is true for others as well, but Flair is a 16 time World Champion. Doesn't that mean he lost 15 times?

Randy Savage-Say what you want about his in ring ability, but he always took a backseat to Hogan when they were together. Yes he was champion for a year, but he shared the spotlight with Hogan, or was shoved out for Hogan to take it.

Bret Hart- Probably the best pure wrestler here, but he never had the drawing power in this country that he had in Canada. Easily the best in the ring though.

Shawn Michaels- See Bret Hart, minus Canada and add in second before best.

The Undertaker- Yet again, the hardest to evaluate. We all know he's great, but where does he rank all time? He's got the resume, he's got the popularity, he can go with anybody in the ring and put on a passable match, but as always, he just is overshaddowed which is a shame.

John Cena- Yes, he's the best in the world today, but when you stack him up against the other greats, he falls short. Granted, the entire company falls short compared to the other eras, so that's simply not his fault.

Bruno- At the end of the day, he's the 2nd best strongman wrestler after Hogan, and that's nothing to be ashamed of. His records will stand forever, end of story. However, he is from a completely different era where television was almost a non factor in wrestling, and it's difficult to say what he would do nationwide, while we know what Hogan and Flair did.

HHH- Just no. He's great, but Rock and Austin were lightyears ahead of him when they were all together.

Steve Austin- the only, and I mean only person that I would put close to Hogan's league in terms of importance to WWF. Without Austin, WWF would have gone out of business in the 90s. that's all there is to it. However, he had some great help. Hogan had almost nothing for a large part of his career, i.e. WM 2.

While there have been greats, there ahve been icons, there have been main eventers, there have been showstoppers, there have been men to claim to be the best there ever will be, but none of them are Immortal, save one.

Hulk Hogan. The greatest face of all time, the greatest heel of all time. The man that single handedly built the WWF and wrestlemania, the man that nearly single handedly put it out of business while making WCW the #1 company in the world. The man was the leader of two boom periods, no one else comes close.

Ric Flair, was good, but good at being the face of a dying breed and an aging system of doing business.

Randy Savage, while maybe the most solid in teh ring of the bunch, will always be known as Hogan's understudy.

Bret Hart: Great internationally, but forgotten stateside for the most part.

Shawn Michaels and the Undertaker: As much as I love and respect these two as wrestlers, in my opinion, they should never be considered anything more then career upper mid carders. Great attractions, but never good enough to carry the company on their own for an extended period of time.

John Cena: as much as Vince may want him to be the biggest, the jury is still out. Undoubtedly the best thing going today, but that's not saying much considering how bad the business is.

Bruno: maybe the number 2 guy on this list.

Triple H: ROFLMAOChopper.

Steve Austin. History will not be kind to the rattlesnake in my opinion.

Lets all be serious. There is only one choice, even remotely considerable.

Triple H.

I lie. Its Hulk Hogan of course. Hulk Hogan is the absolute embodiment of everything that pro wrestling is, was, and ever will be. When people think pro wrestling, they think of Hulk Hogan. He is the only person ever to truly transcend the sport. He can work any style of match, and is the most over face, AND heel of all time. He is in the top 1% of every single catergory that makes a wrestler a good wrestler. There are no words.

Hogan made the business. There are better performers. There are better mic guys. There is no one who took the business on his back as he climbed mountains like Hogan did. Twice. The 80's Hogan made the WWE the dominant entertainment company of the decade. No one would have ever though of wrestler crossing into mainstream entertainment before Hogan. The cartoon series is a great memory of my childhood.

nWo Hogan took backstage and put in onscreen, and still, the mystery was there. Kids asked if it was really fake. Adults started to question is Santa really did come down the chimney.

To be honest, to be as hated as Hogan, you have to have an amount of love from the audience that ONLY Hogan has ever had.

How did the Rock not even make the list?

it has to be.... the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be....

Shawn Michaels. There is nothing this guy hasnt done. First Grand Slam Champion ect. Is well adapted to many Match styles "Hardcore", Ladder, HIAC, IRONMAN, there isnt a match he cant compete in and pull it off.

Face it, the guy was WWE Champion when WCW was at its strongest and still manage to be popular. He, as a Tag Team was in the ME, more times then what the champion was. even now the guy manages to "carry" even the crappiest wrestler in matches that is more times then not the best match in their career.

You, Know he has to be one of if not THE best for all the respnsibilty that the WWE has enstowed with him. lettin g him come up with the idea of the HIAC, trusting him with the title as soon as he come back ect.

HBK is the ALL time superstar.

First off, I want to respond to "fromthesouth" and his question as to why The Rock didn't make the list. Terrific as he may have been in the attitude era, only 10 options can be placed in a poll. The Rock didn't have the longevity or influence to stack up against the ten I listed (im my opinion), though he likely would have been #11. Fair question, and if you want to debate for him you may, but he's not nominated.

Out of the list you can really only take into account of who's run in wrestling will truly be remembered. That really only limits it to Austin & Hogan.

How much talk is their about Bruno Sammartino on this forum? Hardly any, so to people like us he's a nonentity. Somebody prove me wrong by getting a thread involving him past 50 pages.

Triple H, Undertaker, HBK & Flair all had their time at the top. But they weren't and never will be, the big guns.

Bret Hart was WWF's top superstar when nobody watched wrestling. He missed most of the big era's. In the 80's he was a lowly tag team wrestler, and he missed the Attitude Era & WCW's big run.

Savage was always second best to Hogan. So it comes down to Hogan & Austin. I'm no fan of both so I'll go with Mick Foley. Because out of all the people on the poll the only half of them benefited from being involved with him.

I gotta give my vote for the Undertaker here. He has been relevant his entire WWE career. That's 18 years of playing a character gimmick. I can't think of another wrestler who has worked with a cartoonish gimmick even half that long and made it stick. He has had numerous title reigns and, of course, there is the famous Wrestlemania win streak. Oh yeah, and I love him.

I know this wont sway anything but I think The Rock deserves an honourable mention, his 6 year career in WWE has completely blown HHH's 15 out of the water. The man went on to beat Hogan and was easily Austin's replacement to keep ratings high in WWE. Still it doesnt matter because. . . . .

. . . . It would still be Hogan, it will always be Hogan, no one will ever better him because it's become impossible to do what he has done, had some of the best matches ever and started 2 booms in the wrestling business, not to mention how long and often he held the World title.

If Mark Madden think's that only a mark judges some one's greatness because of their title history then you'll just have to call me El_Marko.

I know this wont sway anything but I think The Rock deserves an honourable mention, his 6 year career in WWE has completely blown HHH's 15 out of the water. The man went on to beat Hogan and was easily Austin's replacement to keep ratings high in WWE. .

Oh brother. :smashfreakB:

I'm not one to love on Trips, but that is a pretty poor argument for why the Rock's career was better than Triple H's. Let's look at this:

The man went on to beat Hogan and was easily Austin's replacement to keep ratings high in WWE.

Is Billy Kidman better than Triple H, also?

was easily Austin's replacement to keep ratings high in WWE

How do you figure? If I'm not mistaken, I do believe that the focal point of the shows in late 99 early 2000 featured the McMahon-Helmsley Regime, casting against it a hodgepodge of face characters, one of which was the Rock. Main roles were occupied by Foley, The Rock, and Jericho, but there was never any long, drawn-out storyline that was centered around The Rock. Not even close to the kind of storylines that were being created for Austin for almost two years.

Furthermore, The Rock was privileged to be a charismatic, athletic figure riding the coattails of the most popular figure in the history of the business. Of course the guy was going to be over. But we'll never really know how good The Rock could have been in comparison to the Hogans or the Flairs because he left so quickly. The Rock was only "the man," so to speak, during one era. Trips was the top heel in the company during its most popular run, and since, he's been the one or two in terms of carrying the company, during times where the wrestling business has been significantly down.

Sure, Rocky is good, but his six years compared to Trips' 15? :headscratch:

I gotta go with Hogan, he's the slam dunk answer in my books. I dont have alot to add thats already been said but Ill attempt to. If you did a survey and asked everybody in this country to name a wrestler I guarantee a vast majority of them would say Hogan especially non wrestling fans. Hell the guy even had his own cartoon series in the 80s. Everybody knows who Hogan is whether they watched a minute of wrestling in their lives or not. I think that alone is enough to warrant this award but there is more to it than that.

He headlined the first 9 Wrestlemania's(well technically he didnt number 9 but he did end up winning the title at the end). I believe he won every won of those as well with the exception of WM6 and the DQ in WM8. He also was the winner of the most famous match of all time. Im not positive about this but Id imagine if you added up all his world title reigns he probably held the title for more days than anybody in WWF/E history, I think the only person that would be close would be Sammartino. Then to top it off he returned to the WWE a decade later and put on the biggest match of the year in 02 at Wrestlemania. Im not even including what he did in WCW either since I figure this was only what people did in WWE if you add that to it his resume is even more impressive. You add up all his accolades plus how famous he is I really dont know how it can be anybody else.

Well, the obvious answer is Hulk Hogan. Or Steve Austin. Those are really the only two.

But I'll go for The Rock. Now here's a man that put on very few classic matches. Admittedly, I enjoyed pretty much all of them at the time and blah, blah, psychology, blah, blah, workrate, blah, blah pay-per-view buys. But he was still Stone Cold Steve Austin's no. 2 and carried the company on his back for extended periods. I think that The Rock is Austin's equal in more ways than one, and that's always overlooked.

Of course, that theory falls apart when you consider that Rock/Hogan was just a poor substitute for Austin/Hogan.

Hulk Hogan.

Simple as that. He shaped professional wrestling. He is arguably the biggest babyface in the history of pro wrestling. No other wrestler has accomplished what Hogan did. When I ask a person that used to watch wrestling in the 80's, something that's related to wrestling, usually the first thing they ask me is "Is Hogan still there?".

He basically put wrestling on the map and is part of the reason why it was so successful, and why it still is today. Hogan slamming Andre the Giant is probably the most remembered moment in Wrestling history. He was a terrific performer, both in the ring and on the mic. He was the complete package. He drew and had multiple World Title reings. It's quite hard to describe how great Hogan really was.

Austin would be my second choice, but I think there's a large gap between Austin and Hogan in terms of the All Time Best Superstar.

Oh brother. :smashfreakB:

I'm not one to love on Trips, but that is a pretty poor argument for why the Rock's career was better than Triple H's. Let's look at this:

I think HHH is great but a very distant third place behind Austin and Rock.

Is Billy Kidman better than Triple H, also?

Fair enough, I'll refrase that. Hogan passed the torch to The Rock.

How do you figure? If I'm not mistaken, I do believe that the focal point of the shows in late 99 early 2000 featured the McMahon-Helmsley Regime, casting against it a hodgepodge of face characters, one of which was the Rock. Main roles were occupied by Foley, The Rock, and Jericho, but there was never any long, drawn-out storyline that was centered around The Rock. Not even close to the kind of storylines that were being created for Austin for almost two years.

McMahon-Helmsley had their roles to play no doubt about it, but the focus of the show's was The Rock, even when HHH was fueding with Foley The Rock was getting the same if not more air-time everyweek.

Furthermore, The Rock was privileged to be a charismatic, athletic figure riding the coattails of the most popular figure in the history of the business. Of course the guy was going to be over.

The Rock became Austin's top heel challenger and became so popular in the process that he took over from Austin as the top face. Austin turned heel and demoted HHH to third place. . . . . again.

But we'll never really know how good The Rock could have been in comparison to the Hogans or the Flairs because he left so quickly. The Rock was only "the man," so to speak, during one era. Trips was the top heel in the company during its most popular run, and since, he's been the one or two in terms of carrying the company, during times where the wrestling business has been significantly down.

Like I said, HHH was only ever top heel when Rock and Austin were playing babyface, whenever one of them was the heel HHH was again a distant third place. In face he was third when both guy's were faces, hence WM17 Main-Event: The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin.

I would say HHH has only ever been top-dog in the company when Hollywood came knocking for The Rock all the way up until John Cena FU'd JBL at WM21. Then HHH went back to arguably third place behind Cena and Batista.

Sure, Rocky is good, but his six years compared to Trips' 15? :headscratch:

Sure I'd take The Rock's 6 years and 9 World Titles over HHH's 15. At worst he was just behind Stone Cold and at best he was better. HHH is nothing short of impressive and he does have longevity in his favour I'll accept that but I dont think he can compete with The Rock.

To win the All-Time Superstar, you have to be someone who will be remembered for all times. That excludes Randy Savage, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, John Cena (for now at least), and Triple H. Leaving us with really only Hogan, Austin, and Bruno.

Of those three, I take out Bruno, as I think most would agree he didn't have the national and worldwide impact on wrestling that Austin and Hogan did. Huge draw in his own right, just not at the right time.

So, that leaves us the classic debate between Austin and Hogan, and it has to be Hogan, for the simple fact that his work had a tremendous influence on Austin being so successful. Hogan was the one who put the WWF in national spotlight. Hogan was the one who was what made the WWF merchandising machine come to life. Hell, Hogan in WCW was the one who really started that Attitude that the WWF copied and gave to Steve Austin.

So, I think the answer has to be Hogan.

By the way, I have to ask...how can anyone vote HBK ahead of Hart, or Hart ahead of HBK? That makes no sense. They are two halves of the same coin...in a variety of ways. I think it'd be foolish to try and justify one over the other in a situation such as this, especially when there are better options.

I just realized that I was about to start a HUGE war with Sly, picking the one man he never even mentioned in his last post - Ric Flair - as the award winner and greatest ever. But then I realized that by doing so, I'd be shattering my own criteria.

This award is WWF-centric. That's why Thesz isn't on the list, or Bockwinkle, etc. To give Flair a run as the Greatest Ever would be to include his NWA and WCW work, which I cannot do, since the Slammy is a WWF Award.

And because of that, Austin is the right choice.

In order to truly do this award justice, in all fairness, you have to throw out what Hogan did in WCW and with the creation of the nWo. That being said, the list is: 1) Austin, 1b) Hogan, 2) Undertaker, 3) Michaels, 4) Rock. Whom I left off the list. Oh well, deal.

I took Austin over Hogan for a few reasons. For starters, Austin led a boom period during a time of heightened competition from WCW. Part of what made Hogan's run so great was that it was unique at the time - the idea of Pay Per View pro wrestling was a stroke of McMahon genius, and Hogan benefited from it as much as he HELPED to cause it.

Austin also did what he did after the kayfabe wall had been broken. Hogan benefitted from the fact that kids still thought wrestling was real, and they reacted as such. That's why they cried when Earthquake attacked him, why they sent him thousands of cards in the "hospital." Austin had to find a way to make people care about his character despite being fully aware that it was all scripted and kayfabe. Austin had to do a better job of holding on to the "Willing Suspension of Disbelief."

Austin also did what he did with increased presence. Meaning, 1-2 TV shows per week and a pay per view each month was a challenge, because it's easier to run out of fresh ideas. Hogan did 4 PPV's per year, and rarely appeared on any TV program other than the Monday Night Prime Time show, and an OCCASSIONAL stint on Superstars in a tag match. And even that was a miracle. He also did SNME, but that was a couple shoots per year. People MISSED seeing Hogan in the ring, because it was an event. With Austin, it became expected, and he had to struggle to keep it all fresh.

That's all for this installment. I await responses before I continue.

Austin is a good choice and would probably be my second one but I think what seperates Hogan from him is his overall fame and his longevity. He was the face of the organization and top guy for the better part of a decade. He was always the focal point of the company and was the guy in pretty much every major feud. He was in the main event basically the entire time and if he wasnt he was damn near the top and was still the guy that they promoted the most. Austin was the top guy from 98-01 and he missed some time due to injury in 00. In 02 and beyond he took a back seat to other guys, I dont believe he won the championship at any point after 01 but I could be wrong about that since I didnt watch a whole lot of wrestling in 02. So he was the main guy for four years where as Hogan was the main guy for roughly 10 years. Then he came back 10 years later and main evented shows and even won the belt. I think those things are the biggest difference between the two along with overall fame. Do you think Austin could have a show on VH1 about him and his family and have it last for 3 or 4 seasons, or have his own celebrity wrestling show? Possibly he could but I honestly dont think so.

agentmichaelscarn said:
Do you think Austin could have a show on VH1 about him and his family and have it last for 3 or 4 seasons, or have his own celebrity wrestling show? Possibly he could but I honestly dont think so.

Hogan had a show on VH1 because a) he has a hot-ass daughter, and b) his family is a train wreck. Hardly desirable. Austin couldn't have a show because his life has some semblance of privacy and control, whereas Hogan's family is in shambles. I'll gladly be the quiet retiree about whom people still talk, and discuss rumored matched, than to duck in and out of courtrooms, divorce proceedings, and supermarket tabloids to be labeled a "star."

or you can take A man like Stone Cold who cheated on his first wife and a man, who beat the shit out of Debra because of roid rage. Hogan's family might be corrupted but SCSA isn't much better.

So the quiet retiree thing is non sense, when he beat up his wife it was all over the news, The man is an abuser of woman.

Now onto the actual topic, the easy answer is Hulk Hogan. He is an icon, the greatest professional wrestler to ever live, he jump started a boom period that would later change the industry, he headlined Mania after Mania. Shit, wasn't it the first 8 or 9?

Austin couldn't compare to this, he drew for several years while Hogan had more. I like austin, but comparing him to Hogan is non sense. Austin might be second but, that's a distant second. No one influenced the business like Hogan, and thats why Hogan is an all time great.

Hogan had a show on VH1 because a) he has a hot-ass daughter, and b) his family is a train wreck. Hardly desirable. Austin couldn't have a show because his life has some semblance of privacy and control, whereas Hogan's family is in shambles. I'll gladly be the quiet retiree about whom people still talk, and discuss rumored matched, than to duck in and out of courtrooms, divorce proceedings, and supermarket tabloids to be labeled a "star."

I agree about his family being in shambles and his daughter being hot but I dont agree with that being the reason he got the show. That maybe why people kept watching but the reason he got the show to begin with is because he is Hulk Hogan. If Austin, Angle, Flair or any wrestler outside of maybe the Rock went to a network and pitched an idea about having a show about their family I dont think a network would buy it. Obviously I dont have any way of proving that but thats how I feel. I also wouldnt want all what Hogan does and has gone through either and would much rather have Austin's life, but I think the fact that he is in the tabloids and people follow it shows how big of star he is. No wrestler would get this type of coverage for going through a divorce or their kid going to jail, Hogan gets it because he is one of the few wrestlers ever that is a star outside of the wrestling community. I know this has nothing to do with his actual wrestling and it is mostly negative press but I just think it shows how famous and how big of a star he is. I think that should be one of if not the biggest factors when determining who the all time superstar is.

it was very close between hogan and austin but austin gets the vote this guy made wrestling good to watch and if it wasnt for him wwe would be no more with hogan he was the same as austin but hogan wasnt really as needed as austin was needed like i said

no austin in 1998 = no wwe

no hogan in 1980's = not as much money

I voted Hulk Hogan. I was afraid that Sly would hurt me badly if I didn't. :p

Nah. The Hulkster put wrestling on the map. I can't say much more than that he is the biggest thing to ever happen to wrestling. Without him, there may not have been a Stone Cold or a John Cena. There may not be a WWE today. Hulk in a walk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back