AJ Styles is Your NEW United States Champion

Dmbfantomas

Bald Billy was Better
He defeated Kevin Owens at an MSG house show, per Meltzer, Sports Illustrated, and SB Nation.

Wow. I hope KO isn't injured.

Good for AJ

Yep, AJ Styles interview post victory is being streamed live on WWE.com. I hope everything is fine with KO, but I didn't expect the title to change hand on a house show. It's been a crazy day.

Something tells me Kevin got injured during the match and they had to call an audible. If that's the case, Kevin probably gets the title back after a little bit.

Regardless; congratulations to AJ! He's gonna do wonders with the U.S title.

KO was an awful champ. Seems to be a recurring trend honestly. I know everyone is always quick to jump to conclusions about a potential injury or maybe a wellness violation, but every once in a rare while WWE will put a title change on a house show to keep things interesting and this was a cross branded Madison Square Garden event so it wasn't a run of the mill house show.

Removing belt from favorite to one of the few people better who could also use it. Did it in a non expected way to. No complaints. Cena lost it awfully. Del rio and Kalisto had a bad and forgettable feud. Rusev held it for 120+ days I don't remember. Reigns held it which was awful. Then it was the transitional prop in the somewhat ruined Jericho vs Owens feud.

Love Owens, but he really doesn't need to have as many championship chases and reigns as he has. Hopefully they put AJ back into a prominent spot and we can get a more refreshing feel on Smackdown.

I took a long nap, woke up and saw the headline. I then almost had a heart attack because I honestly started wondering if I was asleep for two weeks.

I think that sometimes the WWE likes to be unpredictable. I'm sure the crowd was all "Pfft, we know that these two have a match in a few days. Obviously Kevin is walking out with the belt tonight." Only their minds were likely blown when AJ won and thereby flipped the script on the smarks.

I don't think that this is a punishment or that Kevin Owens was injured. I think that they'll still have their match at Battleground with the only difference being that AJ is going in as the current champion.

Happy for AJ Styles. It's unpredictable and I'll a problem with it only if it's followed by another title change at Battleground. The US Title hasn't been much intriguing since John Cena lost it and I guess that it took place almost 2 years ago.

Like others, I hope that this title change isn't a consequence of some injury. Hoping to get AJ Styles Vs. John Cena IV at Summerslam for US Championship.

We've seen shock title switches at big house shows before and I'm sure that we will again in the future. It's most likely to fulfil the whole "anything can happen in WWE" thing, but that also includes Dixie Carter getting an interview and Austin Aries getting released so I guess you've gotta take what they give you. It's interesting and I think it creates a little anticipation for Tuesday, and nothing more or nothing less. In particular to AJ Styles though, it suddenly places him in a very important spot again (if he wasn't there already) and his popularity and role on the show will hopefully help to increase the stock of the United States Championship again. I have no doubt that he will be a good, defending and successful champion and that the matches down the line with Kevin Owens will live up to anticipation. Hopefully this doesn't lead to a switch AGAIN at Battleground but I guess we shall see. I too also hope that Owens isn't injured either, but if he is, I have no doubt that SmackDown will be okay for a while until he is back. You can be critical of his reign but he's probably one of the best on the roster anyway. Perhaps this leads to a match with John Cena again, perhaps a match with Rusev, or maybe this just signals that the WWE Championship picture is going to look quite weird in the coming months if AJ Styles is going to be the mid card champion. Interesting times.

Don't be surprised if this is a short lived and Owens regains the title at another house show or at the Battleground ppv. At the same time though, maybe this is the start of a long run for Styles. After all, it's hard to tell since they went against the usual formula.

Still, it's kinda historic in some ways as it's been many years since a WWE title change took place at a house show. This is the first time the US title has changed hands at a WWE house show and the last time it happened period was in late September 2000 when Lance Storm won it for the 2nd time. The last time any WWE title changed hands was in mid January 2012 when Primo & Epico won the tag titles together for the first time.

Overall, I have no complaints against Styles winning the title at a house show or any other show for that matter. He had a good run as WWE Champion so here's hoping he has another good run as United States Champion.

+25% Boost to House Show attendance for 2 months.

Just a base stat modifier for WWE.

Although House show title changes are a good thing in small doses. SO just doing one every couple years is good for business.

Am I the only one that thinks that them putting the title on aj is their excuse for doing Nakamaru vs aj at summerslam. Instead of waiting till mania. I mean aj wins the title here, Kevin does rematch clause at battleground and loses, and Nakamura challenges styles at summerslam. 6 months too early with horrible no intensity build.

surprised about this move. my guess is that either Owens got hurt during the match or (my more likely guess) WWE wanted to show that even house shows can have surprise title changes and that's why they went there.

As for how long he holds it, my hope is he has a long run and they push Owens back to the main event scene. maybe have him feud with AJ Styles for two months, then move him onto someone like Cena and this time have Owens win the feud.....but i also could see Owens re-gain his title at either Battleground or a ppv after that...as for AJ Styles holding it, i wont be shocked if he does his own US Championship open challenge (like Cena did).

Suggesting this was a treat for the MSG faithful, a title switch might also be a way to boost house show ticket sales. Possibly a back and forth switch ala Benoit/Booker T could be on the horizon. Or they going with Styles vs Rusev post Battleground, which I like. Frees Cena up for Jinder Mahal, Owens can go up with Nakamura or Orton moving forward

Reports on the main page today suggest this switch was done because WWE didn't want their two top Smackdown titles held by wrestlers with ostensibly the same gimmick. IF this is true, it shows an incredible lack of planning for WWE, firstly because why the hell did they allow it to happen in the first place if they were going to turn against the idea mere weeks later, but also because it *could* have laid the foundations for storylines for the rest of the calendar year, and goodness knows WWE is crying out for some actual forethought in its storylines

If you don't mind indulging me in some fantasy booking here:

Mahal, Owens and Rusev are currently positioned as Smackdown's top three heels (we'll get to Corbyn later), and all are currently performing variants on the anti-America gimmick. Given Smackdown is the 'land of the tag team main event' thanks to the Teddy Long era, im genuinely surprised we haven't yet had a six-man main event of Owens, Mahal and Rusev against Styles, Cena and Orton. We can then chop and change between the six, creating feuds that can take us to Survivor Series and beyond. The good thing is, we still CAN get this, just with AJ as US Champion instead of Owens.

Battleground: Owens v Styles; Rusev v Cena; Orton v Mahal
Summerslam: Owens v Styles final battle; Rusev v Orton; Mahal v Cena (Cena wins WWE Title)
Now I would have had the next part of this in the Autumn (Fall) ppvs but WWE have been slow to announce these and the two they have announced are both Raw branded events; however they have NOT yet announced Hell in a Cell, so let's assume that this event happens and it is a Smackdown ppv. I have previously earmarked how I think the WWE title picture will progress until Wrestlemania, so I will integrate that here.
Hell in a Cell: Cena beats Mahal in the Cell in their final rematch, before Baron Corbin cashes in Money in the Bank to become champion. This temporarily takes Cena out of the 'six pack' equation. In the meantime, we get Orton v Owens and Rusev v Styles, possibly with the latter being for the US title (personally I'd have had Styles win it at Summerslam, but again, I feel WWE have a lack of foresight in their 'planning'
Survivor Series would be Cena v Corbin (c), as would the Smackdown December ppv, to round out the year, and probably also feature rematches for Rusev v Styles and Orton v Owens, and at some point before the Royal Rumble, Styles would lose the US belt as I have him winning the title off of Corbin at the Rumble, and defending against Rumble winner Shinsuke Nakamura (who can tussle with Mahal in the Autumn whilst he's waiting for his shot) for the fans main event at Wrestlemania

What this does is create, using just 8 wrestlers, but following WWE's policy of feuds lasting at least two ppv matches, the entire top of the card storylines between now and Wrestlemania, and even better, *most* of the matches are fresh, at least to a WWE audience.

If they had a long-term plan written out like this or similar, it would then also allow the writers time to develop the under card more, which is one area I feel both shows are lacking, as they would have very little to do at the top of the card.

But I guess that's just a pipe dream

Feel free to scrutinise this path

I guess at least WWE have been sensible enough to pass the US title from the best heel in the company (IMO) to the best wrestler in the company (IMO), even if I feel it has been overly rushed and will lead to hot-potatoing

That MSG title win was a pleasant surprise. I couldn't be happier with AJ Styles being the US Champion. He finally beat Kevin Owens and claimed a good title. I hope his reign isn't a short one. He has a lot of opponents he could defend the title against. I enjoyed his WWE Championship reign and hope that one day he wins it again. I've always seen him winning world titles at least twice. Also, Kevin Owens is another favourite of mine so I never get sick of these two wrestling each other. It's a good feud and with everything they've done in the past outside of WWE, it just adds another layer to their history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back