A MODERN DAY DYNASTY-RIGHT??

hatehabsforever

Staff member
So, the New England Patriots won Super Bowl XLIX last night in a very dramatic fashion last night, beating the defending Super Bowl champions Seattle Seahawks 28-24. This victory involved overcoming a 10 point deficit in the second half of the game, taking the lead for good with only about two minutes remaining. It also involved surviving yet another circus style catch late in the game, and a dramatic goal line interception in the dying seconds of the game. And all after a very tumultuous and unfair two week period leading up to the final game.

Which begs the question, are we finally prepared to refer to the Patriots as a dynasty? Sure, great minds on here have suggested that they aren't a dynasty because they went 10 years between Super Bowl victories. And the naysayers will refer to such nonsense as Deflate-gate and Spygate to throw cold water (instead of Gatorade) on their accomplishments. But let's look at the facts.

Brady has won four Superbowls now. They also had two unsuccessful Super Bowl appearances, one of which involved a near miracle to cost them their fifth title. Brady himself has 3 Super Bowl MVP's. Belichek is tied for first with Chuck Noll for most Super Bowl victories by a coach. Tom Brady has equalled Joe Montana in terms of individual accomplishments, and has earned consideration as being one of the best of all time. Considering the fact that in their 10 year drought in terms of victories, they were in the playoffs pretty much every season, and have pretty much always been in the discussion in terms of Super Bowl contenders, it's hard to argue with the record of this team.

So the question is simple. Are all of the Patriot haters finally willing to concede the fact that they are the team of the decade, and have to be seen as truly being the closest thing we will see to a dynasty in this era? And will all of the excuses, all of the scandals, finally go back to where they belong, as being irrelevant distractions designed to not give credit where credit is due?

The New England Patriots are the only team in recent memory that has managed to have their success questioned every season. Name a team that has had as many controversial scandals in their organization while winning as many titles as the New England Patriots have. Deflate-gate, spy-gate, tuck rule, snow plow, and the "Brady Rule" for touching a quarterback at the knee. The New England Patriots have a dynasty all right, a dynasty riddled with cheating and controversy that quite frankly should overshadow the Patriots success at every bend and turn. Enjoy your new Lombardi trophy, I doubt the team will be ever to get one again until they find a new way to exploit the game.

B8zw3xyCEAAgNal.png

I am a Patriots hater.

I really don't know what makes a dynasty. It seems pretty subjective and can differ from sport to sport. I think it is far to say, at a minimum you need to win multiple championships in a short period of time. The Pats of the early '00s may be a "modern day" dynasty but the team I watched last night is certainly not part of anything remotely reflecting a dynasty, modern day or prehistoric unless they win more championships in years to come.

The Pats are the most successful franchise since the 90's Cowboys. Their longevity at or near the top may be the most impressive in the Super Bowl Era but to call last night's team part of a dynasty is very premature and most likely wrong.

The Patriots have been in almost half the Super Bowls since 2001. It is astonishing to think about. Add on top of that all of the division championships and Conference title games, the Patriots have a level of consistency unmatched in this generation.

That is a dynasty.

Are they a dynasty? Absolutely. By any impartial argument, there is no argument to be had.

Will the haters concede? No, because hatred is rarely impartial, or leave room for rational thought.

In my opinion, the Patriots are cheaters. However, I consider any team, in any sport, who has won at least 3 Championships within 6 years, a dynasty. I hate the Pats, as my team was the second victim of their cheating, but I will not deny their great SuperBowl Trophy / Championship Ring collection.

I mean, think about it this way. I loved the night that Chris Jericho defeated Stone Cold Steve Austin and the Rock in the same night to become the first ever Undisputed WWF / WCW World Heavyweight Champion and subsequent successful Championship Title defenses against The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin, but no one ever mentions the fact that Chris Jericho cheated and got help from Mr. McMahon, Booker T., the Un-Americans (Lance Storm and Christian), and the New World Order (Hollywood Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, and Scott Hall). Most people will only remember the outcome.

So, congratulations, you cheating pieces of $#!+.

Although I am no Patriots fan I've always been impressed by what they brought to the table, especially Tom Brady. In my eyes Tom is the greatest Quarterback I've ever got to watch (when I got into Football guys like Aikman, Marino and Montana were long since retired). Although many say Peyton's the greatest ever but in my eyes Manning is and always has been Brady's bitch and I've always felt the 4 Superbowl rings speak a lot louder than Manning breaking the records he's broken. At the end of the day it's not about breaking records, it's about winning games, winning championships and that's exactly what Tom Brady does time and time again.

I've always felt the Spygate and Deflategate were lame excuses to discredit the Patriots franchise but the truth is they have been the team to beat for the last 13 years. In that time they've won 6 AFC titles, 4 Super Bowls and way too many division titles. I don't know if they are a dynasty anymore but between '02-'05 they certainly were and they are the most successful franchise of the new millennium, there's no doubting that. In 5-10 years I could see people talking the same way about the Seattle Seahawks as they're getting awfully close to greatness but as of now it's all New England. They have every credential that would suggest they are the best team of the last 15 years and anyone who tries to discredit that is just kidding themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back