A Fresh Idea for the Rumble Finish (plus some fantasy booking)

abhilash81

Best in the World!
We've seen a lot of things happening in the Rumble match over the years. But one thing that's still yet to happen is something I'm using in this fantasy booking of mine. What do you think?

Royal Rumble 2019 (or 2020)
AJ Styles comes in at no. 1 and tears the house down. The match is very well booked and is really fast paced. He eliminates around 6-8 superstars and is on a roll. Fans are screaming for AJ and are almost sure that he's gonna win.
Now the 29th man enters and there are around 4 guys left in the ring. Some fast paced action results in AJ being he only man left in the ring!

Fans are going nuts 'cause for the first time ever in RR history, there's only one superstar left before the final man enters! Now this has never happened before and would provide some added drama.The drawback would be a shorter match. Fans cheer for him as AJ soaks it all in and looks at the entranceway.
The countdown ends and there's a silence for a second.

Cult of Personality hits and the arena erupts! The music keeps playing for around 8-10 seconds but no one comes, so fans are on the verge of believing that they've been had by the WWE like once in the past.

And then BAM! PUNK COMES OUT!

(Now I know that many people are saying that Punk will never return, but after seeing how Warrior, Bret, and many others came back, Punk could return too for a large sum which WWE might offer him if he makes it big somewhere outside the WWE)

AJ is shocked to the core at first and can't believe his eyes, along with the few thousand fans in the arena screaming at the top of their voices. Punk takes his time and takes a slow walk towards the ring, where AJ has now regained his composure and is screaming at Punk to come inside and get his a** kicked.

Punk enters.
AJ and Punk face off.
The arena is erupting and fans are going nuts.

They start exchanging blows and beat each other wih hard hitting blows for around 3-4 minutes and then Punk eliminates AJ!

Thus Punk makes his grand in ring return to the WWE.
Now AJ wins the world title inside elimination chamber and we have Punk-AJ, a dream match for many, at the grandest stage of them all, WrestleMania.

Do you have any other exciting ideas? Or something you would like to add or subtract to this? Please let know.

Yeah, this is pretty much 100% pure fantasy booking. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it's one of those fantasy booking scenarios that has even less chance happening than having the only winning ticket in a half billion dollar powerball jackpot.

CM Punk will almost never wrestle in WWE again. I think there's a better chance of him working for ROH or New Japan on a very limited, big money schedule than WWE but those chances, which aren't great to begin with, go down dramatically with each year that goes by. There's a lot of bad blood between Punk and WWE, so much in fact that I think the only possible shot WWE has of getting him back would be not only to offer him a money deal structured like Brock Lesnar's but gave him complete creative control and that just ain't gonna happen. It's not as if WWE needs Punk, he's been out of the picture for over 4 years now and WWE is literally making more money and is worth more money than ever before. On top of all that, the last I heard, Punk was being sued by one of the doctors on WWE's staff for allegations Punk made on Colt Cabana's podcast. There are rumors that WWE is paying for said doctor's legal fees during said suit, though I don't know if they're true or not.

Personally, I'm over CM Punk. I was a fan of the guy as a wrestler and while it'd be cool to see him back, he's done and said a lot of stuff over the past 4 years that've made any sympathy I had for him all but disappear. For instance, one of Punk's biggest complaints was WWE bringing in part timers for very high profile spots for big money and using their name to help sell tickets. However, Punk's deal with UFC was exactly the same thing in that he used his celebrity and the attention generated by his departure from WWE to land a deal. At least the Rock and Batista were former wrestlers whereas Punk had zero fight experience.

Personally, I loved the way the 2018 Rumble was paced out and generally booked. One thing I really enjoyed about it was the layout and booking gave it a genuine "anybody can win" feel much of the time. For instance, we didn't have top guys like Cena, Orton or Reigns coming in and eliminate 7 guys or something, which is usually how these sort of things go. Balor & Reigns tied with 4 eliminations each while Cena, Wyatt and Nakamura scored 3 each and the various eliminations were well spaced. I mean, you didn't have Cena hit the ring and eliminate 2 or 3 guys within the first minute or so, which is, again, something that's often seen happen with the bigger names in these matches. You also had Finn Balor in there being the "iron man" of the match as he was not only in there for close to an hour but he was in the middle of a lot of action, and I don't mean just the usual throwing punches of trying to push someone over the top. In my opinion, they should try keeping this formula, or as close to it as they can, going forward as it makes this type of match feel more like a must see rather than a showcase for guys who're so established that they don't need a showcase in the first place.

Yeah, this is pretty much 100% pure fantasy booking. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it's one of those fantasy booking scenarios that has even less chance happening than having the only winning ticket in a half billion dollar powerball jackpot.

CM Punk will almost never wrestle in WWE again. I think there's a better chance of him working for ROH or New Japan on a very limited, big money schedule than WWE but those chances, which aren't great to begin with, go down dramatically with each year that goes by. There's a lot of bad blood between Punk and WWE, so much in fact that I think the only possible shot WWE has of getting him back would be not only to offer him a money deal structured like Brock Lesnar's but gave him complete creative control and that just ain't gonna happen. It's not as if WWE needs Punk, he's been out of the picture for over 4 years now and WWE is literally making more money and is worth more money than ever before. On top of all that, the last I heard, Punk was being sued by one of the doctors on WWE's staff for allegations Punk made on Colt Cabana's podcast. There are rumors that WWE is paying for said doctor's legal fees during said suit, though I don't know if they're true or not.

Personally, I'm over CM Punk. I was a fan of the guy as a wrestler and while it'd be cool to see him back, he's done and said a lot of stuff over the past 4 years that've made any sympathy I had for him all but disappear. For instance, one of Punk's biggest complaints was WWE bringing in part timers for very high profile spots for big money and using their name to help sell tickets. However, Punk's deal with UFC was exactly the same thing in that he used his celebrity and the attention generated by his departure from WWE to land a deal. At least the Rock and Batista were former wrestlers whereas Punk had zero fight experience.

Personally, I loved the way the 2018 Rumble was paced out and generally booked. One thing I really enjoyed about it was the layout and booking gave it a genuine "anybody can win" feel much of the time. For instance, we didn't have top guys like Cena, Orton or Reigns coming in and eliminate 7 guys or something, which is usually how these sort of things go. Balor & Reigns tied with 4 eliminations each while Cena, Wyatt and Nakamura scored 3 each and the various eliminations were well spaced. I mean, you didn't have Cena hit the ring and eliminate 2 or 3 guys within the first minute or so, which is, again, something that's often seen happen with the bigger names in these matches. You also had Finn Balor in there being the "iron man" of the match as he was not only in there for close to an hour but he was in the middle of a lot of action, and I don't mean just the usual throwing punches of trying to push someone over the top. In my opinion, they should try keeping this formula, or as close to it as they can, going forward as it makes this type of match feel more like a must see rather than a showcase for guys who're so established that they don't need a showcase in the first place.

He RR this year was really good. And till the last moment, I was on the edge of my seat as I feared that maybe Reigns could win with WWE giving the fans another big FU like 2015s match.
Also, its sad that Punk won't return cause I really wanted a scenario like this play out and experience the roaring reaction from the crowd, but maybe the ship has really sailed.

Not a fan of a starting entrant making it all the way to the end. That feels done to death in real wrestling and fantasy booking. I do think your sole survivor vs the last entry idea has some legs though. Can't remember that happening, and to see that scenario would be compelling tv.

Unlike Jack-Hammer, I'm not going to kid myself about CM Punk. It definitely would be a huge moment and this smark cocoon we've developed over our hearts would melt away damn near instantly if we saw him again. He'd make the place interesting, and this notion that Wrestler 1026 won't ever step into a WWE ring has been disproven over and over again. Money talks. But that's really an argument for another day.

But anyways I like the idea for your one on one settup, just not having the runner up being the guy who's been there the whole time.

Not a fan of a starting entrant making it all the way to the end. That feels done to death in real wrestling and fantasy booking. I do think your sole survivor vs the last entry idea has some legs though. Can't remember that happening, and to see that scenario would be compelling tv.

Unlike Jack-Hammer, I'm not going to kid myself about CM Punk. It definitely would be a huge moment and this smark cocoon we've developed over our hearts would melt away damn near instantly if we saw him again. He'd make the place interesting, and this notion that Wrestler 1026 won't ever step into a WWE ring has been disproven over and over again. Money talks. But that's really an argument for another day.

But anyways I like the idea for your one on one settup, just not having the runner up being the guy who's been there the whole time.

I did that so that the fans can really go behind him throughout the match, but I guess coming in at number 5, 10 or 15 won't be a problem and he could easily give a memorable performance in a short time frame.

Punk left in 2014 and people still talk about his return constantly in 2018. Rock left in 2004 and nobody really talked about him coming back in 2008.. or did they? Anyways.

I personally love this idea. What you said, only one person being left inside the ring before #30 comes out. That's the important thing from this thread. I think it's an amazing idea and it would do wonders for, let's say, Braun Strowman.

Now about the Punk thing, sure. I'd like to see him come back, even though I think there's no place for him in today's WWE.

Major differnce also comparing Punk is that his complaint was that these part timers came in and stole a spot on the biggest shows from guys who were out there week after week......
That did not really apply to Punk....He was not in a main event match. He did not really steal a spot from anyone as he competed about as much as anyone does in UFC. Yes it was a joke but its more on par with a Raw celeb host vs a part timer taking a main event spot on the big 4 or being put over
For instance, one of Punk's biggest complaints was WWE bringing in part timers for very high profile spots for big money and using their name to help sell tickets. However, Punk's deal with UFC was exactly the same thing in that he used his celebrity and the attention generated by his departure from WWE to land a deal. At least the Rock and Batista were former wrestlers whereas Punk had zero fight experience.

Major differnce also comparing Punk is that his complaint was that these part timers came in and stole a spot on the biggest shows from guys who were out there week after week......
That did not really apply to Punk....He was not in a main event match. He did not really steal a spot from anyone as he competed about as much as anyone does in UFC. Yes it was a joke but its more on par with a Raw celeb host vs a part timer taking a main event spot on the big 4 or being put over

Now you're trying to argue semantics. Here's the thing about Punk's MMA work:

The UFC is the WWE of mixed martial arts, it has an audience, revenue and brand recognition that no other MMA company comes close to. There are and have been lots of fighters who've worked extremely hard, fighters with experience, who haven't been able to or currently can't get the UFC to give them the time of day. CM Punk had no qualms about using his celebrity to get a lot of money to fight despite a complete and total lack of fight experience when there are legit fighters much more deserving of an opportunity. Don't misunderstand me, I don't blame UFC for making as much money as possible, but this made them just flat out look bad because it put celebrity ahead of the "purity" of the sport. We've seen it happen in everything from boxing to football to pro wrestling and even though it's acceptable doesn't mean that it's a good idea or necessarily the right thing to do. I just don't see any real difference when you get right down to it: I see a guy bitching about part timers taking spots in WWE, whether it's just for the biggest show of the year or not is incidental, but was willing to step over experienced fighters to get his own deal with the UFC. Bad enough Punk gets a deal without ever having fought a single fight but, to make things worse, he looks like a complete and total incompetent when he finally did have a fight.

Punk got what he wanted and good for him, I'm not slamming him for wanting to try something different or something he'd wanted to do for a long time, I just don't think he has a leg to stand on when it comes to integrity. Based on things he's said at various times over the years, mostly within the first year or two after he and WWE parted ways, it became pretty clear that his whole "voice of the voiceless" schtick was about 99% gimmick and that the only "change" that he wanted was that he wanted a "John Cena push." Allegedly, however, there are reasons why Punk didn't get the Cena push. For instance, Punk is a combative person; he's come right out and said that he's someone who enjoys conflict and provoking people. He didn't have Cena's work ethic, didn't remotely have Cena's loyalty to the company and nothing was ever good enough for Punk. He's making more money than all but maybe 2 or 3 other wrestlers on the roster, won titles out the yin-yang, has the longest World Championship reign seen in WWE since Hogan's 1st run and is involved in top programs with some of the biggest stars in the business. I mean....all that and the guy still isn't happy? I know that WWE is always painted as this big, evil corporation by everyone from disgruntled former employees to internet trolls to dirt sheet writers but sometimes, just sometimes, maybe they're actually on the right side of things. If I owned and operated a wrestling company and pushed someone the way CM Punk was pushed and used in WWE and this guy did nothing but criticize and complain then I don't think I'd want him as THE guy either

We've seen a lot of things happening in the Rumble match over the years. But one thing that's still yet to happen is something I'm using in this fantasy booking of mine. What do you think?

Royal Rumble 2019 (or 2020)
AJ Styles comes in at no. 1 and tears the house down. The match is very well booked and is really fast paced. He eliminates around 6-8 superstars and is on a roll. Fans are screaming for AJ and are almost sure that he's gonna win.
Now the 29th man enters and there are around 4 guys left in the ring. Some fast paced action results in AJ being he only man left in the ring!

Fans are going nuts 'cause for the first time ever in RR history, there's only one superstar left before the final man enters! Now this has never happened before and would provide some added drama.The drawback would be a shorter match. Fans cheer for him as AJ soaks it all in and looks at the entranceway.
The countdown ends and there's a silence for a second.

Cult of Personality hits and the arena erupts! The music keeps playing for around 8-10 seconds but no one comes, so fans are on the verge of believing that they've been had by the WWE like once in the past.

And then BAM! PUNK COMES OUT!

(Now I know that many people are saying that Punk will never return, but after seeing how Warrior, Bret, and many others came back, Punk could return too for a large sum which WWE might offer him if he makes it big somewhere outside the WWE)

AJ is shocked to the core at first and can't believe his eyes, along with the few thousand fans in the arena screaming at the top of their voices. Punk takes his time and takes a slow walk towards the ring, where AJ has now regained his composure and is screaming at Punk to come inside and get his a** kicked.

Punk enters.
AJ and Punk face off.
The arena is erupting and fans are going nuts.

They start exchanging blows and beat each other wih hard hitting blows for around 3-4 minutes and then Punk eliminates AJ!

Thus Punk makes his grand in ring return to the WWE.
Now AJ wins the world title inside elimination chamber and we have Punk-AJ, a dream match for many, at the grandest stage of them all, WrestleMania.

Do you have any other exciting ideas? Or something you would like to add or subtract to this? Please let know.

This is a pretty solid idea! I personally wouldn't have AJ enter at the 1 or 2 position however. Let somebody like a babyface Sami Zayn enter at the 1 or 2 position. Have Sami be the last man AJ eliminates out of the bunch to be the true "iron man" of the match. Other than that, this is pretty solid and hasn't been done before to my knowledge. Don't know if Punk would actually return, but if he did this would be the perfect dream bout to bring him back for. AJ Styles vs. CM Punk was a big feud back in the day, and on a WWE stage could be a big money match. It also gives Punk and Styles the headlining WrestleMania main event under the belts.

Punk left in 2014 and people still talk about his return constantly in 2018. Rock left in 2004 and nobody really talked about him coming back in 2008.. or did they? Anyways.

Yes. There was constant chatter about The Rock returning - especially in 2008. Don't forget, The Rock wasn't nearly as big then as he is now. It wasn't really until 2011 when he finally ascended to superstardom in Hollywood. Hell, The Rock started in 2001 with the hopes of becoming the biggest action start in the world. By 2010, The Rock claimed he wanted to be the biggest 'family movie star in the world.' With credits like "The Game Plan", "Race to Witch Mountain", and "The Tooth Fairy" under his belt, he really was trying to do just that. And then he got cast in Fast 5, and he went on to achieving that initial goal. But in 2008? Man, everyone thought he should leave Hollywood and come back.

But that's not what this thread is about... So more to the point, this idea is fantastic. If Punk were to ever return (I don't think he will, but if he did), this scenario would be an ideal scenario for a few reasons:

1) It would heighten an already exciting moment. Having one guy remaining in the ring with one guy still to enter, the crowd would be heavily anticipating who that 30th guy was. That star would need to be major, someone the audience could believe would stand a chance in the ring. Having it be someone like Heath Slater would kill the crowd. Having it be John Cena would excite the crowd. But having it be CM Punk would blow the roof off the building.

2) It would be isolated. You don't want other things distracting from that type of return. You don't want something else to follow it because anything else after a Punk return would either be forgotten or dilute the magnitude of that moment.

3) The moment has inherent importance. If you want something to feel important, then you have to do it at the most important time - and there are fewer bigger moments in the calendar than when the RR is down to two guys...

All that said - I still love this idea even if it's not Punk as the 30th guy. It would be a dramatic moment, and the WWE would absolutely have to deliver on that 30th entrant or people would sh*t all over it. But like I said, I don't think Punk is coming back. Even if he gets dominated in his next UFC match and Dana White refuses to give him a third chance, Punk just comes off as a guy who legitimately didn't enjoy his WWE experience and has no desire to go back to a place he didn't enjoy. Say what you will about the guy, but he doesn't seem to be driven by money. So even if he decided to return to wrestling one day, I just think it's more likely he'd head to ROH or New Japan.

Having Punk return as entrant #30 and throw out #1 Styles or whoever is a fantastic idea and it's hard to believe in 30 years something like this has never been done. Genius Vince has come up with some amazing things in his time. But since Triple H has more or less taken over the company from Vince this past decade, you would at least think he would be creative enough by now to come up with something a little more different than giving himself the world title after winning a few years ago..or booking Kofi Kingston's yearly (and pointless) 'close call exits' followed up immediately by a quick oust. Jack Hammer btw is completely deluded if he believes his opinion speaks for us all (and, believe me, he does believe this) when he says that a CM Punk return wouldn't be all that special at this point (no semantics here - that is what was implied). Punk is the MAN and the way he handled Vince and his golden boy Paul when he quit was fantastic. Sticking it to the man, like the Stone Cold character, is what punk is all about. That is why CM Punk will always be loved by the majority of the WWE universe. And why butt kissing stooge wannabes like Triple H will always be divisive and never have full fan support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back