Green Day vs Temple of the Dog

• Green Day

• Temple of the Dog

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
1st Round 90's Region Match

Green Day vs Temple of the Dog

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun!​

I truly do wish I could vote for Temple of the Dog here, because I fucking love TOTD. But they only released one album. One album just isn't enough to compare to another great band like Green Day.

Now, personally, I find Green Day to be extremely overrated. They were original and cutting edge in 1994. Not so much in 2008. But just if I were to compare Dookie to Temple of the Dog's self-titled album, I'd have to go with Dookie.

Green Day should be taking this one easily I'm guessing. But do yourself a favor if you're a fan of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, or Audioslave, and give Temple of the Dog a listen. You will not regret it. It's pretty much Pearl Jam plus Chris Cornell (lead singer of Soundgarden) on vocals. Genius stuff.

But Green Day does take it.

Green Day songs to check out: 2000 Light Years Away, Welcome to Paradise, Burnout, Longview, Basket Case, She, When I Come Around, Geek Stink Breath, Jaded/Brain Stew

I truly do wish I could vote for Temple of the Dog here, because I fucking love TOTD. But they only released one album. One album just isn't enough to compare to another great band like Green Day.

Now, personally, I find Green Day to be extremely overrated. They were original and cutting edge in 1994. Not so much in 2008. But just if I were to compare Dookie to Temple of the Dog's self-titled album, I'd have to go with Dookie.

Green Day should be taking this one easily I'm guessing. But do yourself a favor if you're a fan of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, or Audioslave, and give Temple of the Dog a listen. You will not regret it. It's pretty much Pearl Jam plus Chris Cornell (lead singer of Soundgarden) on vocals. Genius stuff.

But Green Day does take it.

Green Day songs to check out: 2000 Light Years Away, Welcome to Paradise, Burnout, Longview, Basket Case, She, When I Come Around, Geek Stink Breath, Jaded/Brain Stew

beauty song right there I didnt know anyone else had Kerplunk but me.

Id have to go with Green Day in this because while I agree and I think their last few albums have been shit theres no denying the greatness of Kerplunk,Dookie, and my personal favorite Nimrod. Green Day was a majorplayer in the music scene for the 90s and early 00's and sould in no way possible lose to a band that only put out one album no matter how good it was

Yeah the One Album of TotD shows so much more musicality and Lyricism not to mention talent than every single Green Day Album ever released. You have two amazing voices in Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell. It is effectively a mash up between Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.

Hunger Strike
[youtube]53FYP4aKSlo[/youtube]

and remember that a vote for Temple of the Dog is a vote for the original Grunge. In Mother Love Bone. It is also a vote for Musical Talent. It is also a vote for the great Music of the past.

TOTD was a side project, and the ressurection of the Super-Group. Their song "Hunger Strike" was one of the great grunge anthems by two of its mainstays.

Green Day spanned 15 years and had music as socially impactful as many other bands. Dookie was a powerhouse, and then they showed LONGEVITY. I love their stuff in recent years - thier work with U2 on The Saints are Coming was fantastic work. Green Day has an outside shot of the regional final four, and TOTD is the victim of a bad draw!

Temple of the Dog was a one time, one album tribute group for Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone. For anyone who hasn't heard Mother Love Bone's "Stardog Champion" compilation, do so immediately. However, they were a one time tribute group, and never really contributed a whole lot to music.

That being said, I hate Green Day, so that's why I'm the lone vote for Temple of the Dog.

I can't tell you why I hate Green Day, just can't stand them.

Ive never even herd of temple of the dog and prolly wouldent want to. But i'v been lisiting to green day for a long time now since i was 6 or 7 because my babysitter lisitened t othem and the smashing pumpkins. The things that green day have done for music are inumerable. They came out with 2 major albums that basically changed 2 groups of people. The 90's rocker and tons of this years rockers. Green day and the rhcp and nirvana will all be hard to top and to be quit serous i think greenday could beat either of them to win the 90's region

I voted for Temple of the Dog simply because I cannot stand Green Day. I used to enjoy them very much, but then they sold out. Boulevard of Broken Dreams is one of the top 5 WORST songs of all time, totally unlike the harder Green Day that existed back in the Dookie and Nimrod days. I feel like they abandoned their roots in order to appeal to a younger, modern audience.

I'm going to get a crap load of heat for what I am about to say (probably mostly from xfear) but I will go on record as saying I really want Green Day to win this whole thing. They wont because for the most part they have been stuck with the label of sellout and a lot of Punk Rock Elite feel that American Idiot just didn't cut it. A lot of people feel that the message that American Idiot was trying to get out was a product of the record label rather than the true feelings of Billie Joe Armstrong and the rest of Green Day to be honest this can be debated until the end of time without anyone actually knowing the truth.

People have touched on Dookie, Kerplunk and Nimrod... personally I think Insomniac and Warning are really underrated albums but thats my own personal taste. Going back to American Idiot like it or not (and some people wont like the actual music which of course they are entitled to) it's one of the highest selling Rock albums of the 00's... it's won massive amounts of awards... and many people (myself included) feel it's one of the best albums to come around this decade. It's sold over 14 Million copies worldwide and has arguably bought a new punk revolution (in what is now being called Emo.... I dont like it anymore than you do) giving bands like Fall Out Boy, Panic! At the Disco and Taking Back Sunday a platform to make it as mainstream bands. People might hate these bands, personally I'm not a big fan of them but it's American Idiot that gave these bands something to start from and I dont think that point can be argued.

I completely agree with what a lot of people said Dookie is a fucking classic album... Green Day will have a hard time ever topping it as will a lot of other bands but I felt the need to defend American Idiot slightly because I think it cops a bit too much flak and usually for the wrong reasons. Judge it on the actual music... not the message that they are trying to get across and if you dont like the music then I wont argue with you, everyone has different tastes.

I voted for Temple of the Dog simply because I cannot stand Green Day. I used to enjoy them very much, but then they sold out. Boulevard of Broken Dreams is one of the top 5 WORST songs of all time, totally unlike the harder Green Day that existed back in the Dookie and Nimrod days. I feel like they abandoned their roots in order to appeal to a younger, modern audience.

How the fuck did they sell out?, I fucking can't stand it when people say such mindless crap, Green Day did not sell out, they tried something new, they decided they were getting bored of doing the same thing, every album so they went out and made a gamble with American Idiot, and it worked out for them, I will never understand why when a band reaches a whole new level of success trying something new that people claim they sold out, that's just stupid, plain and simple it's just stupid, and if Green Day had sold out wouldn't it have been when they released Dookie?, I mean didn't them signing with a major record label go against everything that is punk?, I mean god forbid a band is around for over ten years and decide they want to try something different

Green Day tried to do something different and all they did was go along with their same old method of Writing Songs where the majority of the lyrics have to rhyme. Lyrically they are fomulaic and boring. The song structure is even more formulaic than their Lyric writing.

Green Day tried to do something different and all they did was go along with their same old method of Writing Songs where the majority of the lyrics have to rhyme. Lyrically they are fomulaic and boring. The song structure is even more formulaic than their Lyric writing.

Simplicity sells, you don't have to play the most complected song to sell millions of records, just look at the Beatles, Johnny Cash, Etc. for examples of this, none of their songs are really all that complicated to play, I think anyone who knows how to play an instrument could play one of their songs

Musically yes it works but I am talking about lyrics and structure rather than ability to play. Look at the Kings of Punk in The Clash they were simple and yet all of their songs are different. Green Day you can listen to and can go oh thats one song and yet it isn't because they sound so much the same in song structure.

Musically yes it works but I am talking about lyrics and structure rather than ability to play. Look at the Kings of Punk in The Clash they were simple and yet all of their songs are different. Green Day you can listen to and can go oh thats one song and yet it isn't because they sound so much the same in song structure.

So you are saying stuff like King for a Day and When I Come Around sound exactly the same? Have you actually ever listened to a Green Day Album? Each Album that Green Day have released have had a distinctly different sound, maybe some of the songs within each album have the same feel to them, but that is true of a lot of great bands. On the note of American Idiot... It was supposed to be a concept album, telling one long story so in a way it can be expected that the music is going to sound a little alike as you go through the album. Look I'm a bass player and Green Day are not one of these bands using three or four notes for their entire careers (see Blink 182) their stuff is fairly intricate and creative. Lyrically Green Day are and have been for a long time aiming at the masses because they are a mainstream band and unfortunately thats the way mainstream music goes. Go listen to some of the Side Bands that they have done such as The Network, they are lyrically great (The Network for all the wrong reasons).

Greenday. Even if the "punks" think they "sold out" they are a pretty great band. I dislike there new album extreamly, but that doesn't mean it isn't a really good album. One of the top selling albums of the '00. They have been able to evolve there music to the times almost better then anyother band. Plus, Jonny B told me to vote for them......

Selling out is such a stupid reason to vote against Green Day. Tell me that ANY one of you would not sign do make mainstream music to get millions of dollars.

Anyway, Green Day's old work is great and trumps a lot of other music in the bracket.

So you are saying stuff like King for a Day and When I Come Around sound exactly the same? Have you actually ever listened to a Green Day Album? Each Album that Green Day have released have had a distinctly different sound, maybe some of the songs within each album have the same feel to them, but that is true of a lot of great bands.

I think what he was getting at was that alot of their new music sounds very similiar, and that the new style they've started to play turns off alot of people to their music, such as myself. I proudly own copies of Kerplunk!, Dookie, Insomniac, and Nimrod. But from Warning on, they changed as a band. They've definately matured, but their music since that album on just hasn't been very good or original. Atleast it seems that way to me.

On the note of American Idiot... It was supposed to be a concept album, telling one long story so in a way it can be expected that the music is going to sound a little alike as you go through the album. Look I'm a bass player and Green Day are not one of these bands using three or four notes for their entire careers (see Blink 182) their stuff is fairly intricate and creative. Lyrically Green Day are and have been for a long time aiming at the masses because they are a mainstream band and unfortunately thats the way mainstream music goes. Go listen to some of the Side Bands that they have done such as The Network, they are lyrically great (The Network for all the wrong reasons).

Just my opinion, but I found American Idiot to be an overbloated mess with laughable "anti-establishment look-at-us-we're-Punks!" dreck that I couldn't enjoy it. It's grown more to the trends of modern rock radio, which for the most part is terrible.

Their lyrics have always been so-so. Billie Joe takes the storytelling route of songwriting and he's begun to become better in that department with age, but I just don't enjoy their new music. It sounds cliche.

But based off of how excellent their first 8 or so years were, they easily take Temple of the Dog, even though that was a great band as well.

Showing some respect to Temple of the Dog

[youtube]NmxaFf-lpZY[/youtube]

This is an awesome song. Everytime I hear this come on the radio, I belt it out with the windows open, no matter who shoots me odd looks. Cornell's voice is pure gold on this track, and it's a testament to his talent as a leading man. Fantastic song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back