Status
Not open for further replies.

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner

90's Region - 4th Round - South Park vs Seinfeld

south%20park%20christmas.jpg

VS

soup-nazi-761590.jpg

Note: Although Seinfeld began airing in 1989, we have included it in this tournament’s 90’s region.

Seinfeld isn't considered the best comedy for any reason. It is just that, after it beat out Friends, Seinfeld should move on against anything. South Park is good and all, but it never reached the cultural value that Seinfeld did, and a show MUST be great to achieve what it did.

Seinfeld shouldn't have trouble with South Park. Seinfeld was a show that didn't depend on pop culture to get over with its audience. Seinfeld created its own world and lived in it. South Park depends on the major issues at hand. It's more of a political satire than a comedy. Seinfeld's always been about escaping the reality of politics and religion and simply laughing at people who are trying to do things that any of us can do.

Seinfeld for the win here. And hopefully, it's not close.

I'm voting Seinfeld here. Everything The Lariat said rings true. Seinfeld created its own universe and created a whole new kind of comedy. South Park is great, don't get me wrong, but it does rely on world events to get their show running. Granted Stone and Parker are smart enough to create shows without society, the truth is they don't anymore. Seinfeld for the win here.

South Park is better then Seinfeld in every way imaginable. Seinfeld was good, but no where near the "classic tv show" that people make it out to be. The worst episode of South Park could make me laugh more then most if not all Seinfeld episodes.

This is the greatest animated show ever going against probably the most overrated show to ever be on television. Seinfled may have its cult following but when it comes to overall quality South Park blows it out of the water.

Reactions: gd
As I stated earlier, I never got around to hitching a ride on the Seinfeld bandwagon. I've tried watching the show several times in the past, and I've never been able to get into it.

I've been a fan of South Park ever since I was a little kid, but I've only come to really appreciate it after these last few seasons. South Park is one of the few shows that I've encountered that have more than a decades worth of episodes and still maintain the ability to remain relevant with their audiences.

I suppose Seinfeld had it's own relevance while it was still on the air, but because I was never able to bond with the show I do not find it nearly as impactful or important as South Park.

South Park is an intelligent show that makes fun of popular culture, as well as having something to say. Seinfeld is a show about people your supposed to not like doing things are supposed to be funny, but aren't. I cannot comprehend how Seinfeld got so many viewers. Its not remotely amusing. South Park works on a lot of levels, from toilet to satire, Seinfeld is just shit.

Early South Park was good but the South Park the last four or five seasons has been awful so I'm going with Seinfeld which made me laugh each and every episode. You can say that Seinfield has had bad episodes but South Park has had plenty more. The only episode I was impressed with while watching South Park was the Obama/McCain show because I thought it was brilliantly done. I just think South Park has declined in these past few years and Seinfeld was as hot as any TV show during that time. Seinfeld revolved around all four characters and South Park really revolved around Cartman and that was it. I don't hate South Park but I love Seinfeld more.

As much as i love both shows, I'm going to have to vote for Seinfeld because its just so consistent with humor. name one Seinfeld episode that has disappointed.

As much as i love both shows, I'm going to have to vote for Seinfeld because its just so consistent with humor. name one Seinfeld episode that has disappointed.

How about these:

5. The Busboy (Episode 17, Season 2): George gets a "busboy" fired by blaming something on him by accident. He attempts to make things better, but loses the busboy's cat. It's not often that an external character - he never appears again - gets so much screen time. Though the busboy is the basis for the show, his solo appearance isn't exactly stellar.

4. The Dog (Episode 21, Season 3): Jerry is stuck in his apartment with a dog belonging to a passenger he met on a plane. Elaine and George have nothing to talk about and Jerry becomes the topic.

3. The Baby Shower (Episode 15, Season 2): Elaine uses Jerry's apartment for a baby shower and a lady that dated George some time ago shows up.

2. The Big Salad (Episode 88, Season 6): George and his girlfriend pick up a "big salad" for Elaine from Monks, but George can't live down that his girlfriend handed her the bag and it seemed like she paid. Jerry's girlfriend dated Newman at one point and he eventually finds out. The episode's got four different story lines and little character interaction.

1. The Trip (Episodes 41 and 42, Season 4): Jerry goes to LA for The Tonight Show and asks George to come along. They try to find Kramer, who moved there at the end of Season 3 to pursue his acting and artistic career. The police find a body of a girl, whom Kramer met at an audition. Kramer becomes a prime suspect known as the "Smog Strangler."

I see that the first few arguments against South Park were that it relied on pop culture while Seinfeld didn't. I don't really follow the argument as I don't remember when whether or not a show used pop cultured determined how successful it was.

South Park is a much, much more entertaining show. It has silly, random humor that some people like and can also be rather intellectual at times. Definetly the best animated show ever.

Seinfeld had really high ratings and was a big money maker for NBC, but that doesn't mean it was that great of a show. In fact, I think it's slightly above average at best.

COME ON SOUTH PARK!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!

I realize a lot of people like Seinfeld, but come on.... It's nowhere near as funny as South Park. This looks like it might be a very close round. South Park easily gets my vote because it's one of my favorite shows and it has something for everyone to enjoy. For every joke that offends you in South Park, they'll have another that you're on the floor laughing at. It truly has something for everyone and continues to improve. Seinfeld's overrated.

It is South Park for me.

Like I have said in many other rounds, I do not like Seinfeld. I never have and I probably never will. People always come back with the same episode as a reason to watch the show and to be clear, I have no interest in watching the fucking Soup Nazi. That being said, South Park is a show that has really impressed me since day 1. Since staying up late to watch it whilst my Mum was sleeping to watching it now every time it airs. The fact of the matter is, that every single episode of South Park is a great quality episode and all of the seasons get consistently better as the progress. I think it is the only show on TV that gets better and better with every passing season and Seinfeld can't match that. Hell, it shouldn't even have got past Friends.

The Greatest Animated Show in History vs. The Most Overrated Sitcom in History? Yep, pretty easy choice here: South Park. :)

South Park actually has, what they call, "intelligence" within their show, something of which Seinfeld could NEVER claim to have. There is absolutely NOTHING intelligent or thought-provoking about Seinfeld. It's ******ed joke after ******ed joke, nothing more. Whereas South Park's jokes are not only hilarious, but they add to an already interesting story and thought-provoking message.

South Park should win here, and it's not even close.

Early South Park was good but the South Park the last four or five seasons has been awful so I'm going with Seinfeld which made me laugh each and every episode. You can say that Seinfield has had bad episodes but South Park has had plenty more. The only episode I was impressed with while watching South Park was the Obama/McCain show because I thought it was brilliantly done. I just think South Park has declined in these past few years and Seinfeld was as hot as any TV show during that time. Seinfeld revolved around all four characters and South Park really revolved around Cartman and that was it. I don't hate South Park but I love Seinfeld more.

ARE YOU HAVING A LAUGH?

are-you-having-a-laugh.jpg

IS HE HAVING A LAUGH?

Seriously dude, South Park is one of the few shows that gets better as it goes on. To this day I laugh and laugh at 90% of episodes.

South Park doesn't concentrate on Cartman. He may have been the original break away star but now you have episodes centred on Butters, Randy Marsh, Ike, Kenny, Kyle, Stan and of course a Cartman episode. Do you research first and VOTE SOUTH PARK

The Greatest Animated Show in History vs. The Most Overrated Sitcom in History? Yep, pretty easy choice here: South Park. :)

South Park actually has, what they call, "intelligence" within their show, something of which Seinfeld could NEVER claim to have. There is absolutely NOTHING intelligent or thought-provoking about Seinfeld. It's ******ed joke after ******ed joke, nothing more. Whereas South Park's jokes are not only hilarious, but they add to an already interesting story and thought-provoking message.

South Park should win here, and it's not even close.

Just no. If you don't like Seinfeld, that's fine. But to say it's not intelligent is downright crazy. This show is what other sitcoms hoped to be. It was a terrific show with a wonderful cast. The jokes were great and to be honest, this show is above a lot of people. I realize now why so many people 'hate' the show. They don't get it. They watch an episode and they don't get it, and all of a sudden, it's overrated. Want to talk overrated? South Park is overrated.

It's two juvenille writers who use toilet humor and pop culture to get over with fans. Their fans are the lowest common denominator and are near fans of The Hills and Laguna Beach, and even more obnoxious. I mean, I like South Park, but it's not in the same hemisphere as Seinfeld.

And the fact that this brilliant show is losing to South Park is so much bullshit. Just wow.

The jokes were great and to be honest, this show is above a lot of people. I realize now why so many people 'hate' the show. They don't get it. They watch an episode and they don't get it, and all of a sudden, it's overrated.

God I fucking hate this argument. If someone doesn't like Seinfled it's because "they don't get it." God forbid someone just doesn't like the show because it isn't their kind of comedy. Nope, it has to be because they are fucking idiots and the jokes are just over their head. Save that bullshit. I actually don't mind Seinfeld and some of the episodes are very good, but South Park is on a whole other level. South park wins because it's a better show. The show about nothing has met its match.

God I fucking hate this argument. If someone doesn't like Seinfled it's because "they don't get it." God forbid someone just doesn't like the show because it isn't their kind of comedy. Nope, it has to be because they are fucking idiots and the jokes are just over their head. Save that bullshit. I actually don't mind Seinfeld and some of the episodes are very good, but South Park is on a whole other level. South park wins because it's a better show. The show about nothing has met its match.

Wow. Just fucking wow. You'd think South Park was the fucking Titanic or something. It's CUTOUTS! Fucking cutouts. The writing's sub par and without pop culture, the show would be irrelevant. Seinfeld didn't need pop culture. It created its own. And I understand your frustration, but I don't post something unless I feel passionate about. And the average South Park fan vs. the average Seinfeld fan argument is there.

South Park's fanbase is college kids, teenagers, or people that enjoy sophomoric humor. I didn't say it was a bad show. But it's not as good as Seinfeld. Seinfeld's brilliant and it's a damn shame it's losing to potty humor.

I love South Park as much as the next person because its funny plain and simple It's Funny. But my vite is going to Seinfield. Thats pretty much all I'm watching at the moment because its summer and nothing else is on but also I didnt start watching it untill a few a years ago

Wow. Just fucking wow. You'd think South Park was the fucking Titanic or something. It's CUTOUTS! Fucking cutouts.

Ahh, so the lack of great animation makes it a shit show. I see your point now. Wait what?

The writing's sub par and without pop culture, the show would be irrelevant. Seinfeld didn't need pop culture.

So because it has a lot of pop cultural references that means it sucks? I'm having a hard time seeing why that matters.
Seinfeld didn't need pop culture. It created its own.

Congratulations. Again, how does that make it a better show?

South Park's fanbase is college kids, teenagers, or people that enjoy sophomoric humor.

So basically the majority of the television viewing audience.

Seinfeld's brilliant and it's a damn shame it's losing to potty humor.

No, it's not losing to potty humor. It's losing to a better, funnier show. The writing for South park is spectacular. Obviously some episodes are better then others, but I have never seen what I would call a "bad" episode of South Park. Seinfeld is good but South park is better.

Wow. Just fucking wow. You'd think South Park was the fucking Titanic or something. It's CUTOUTS! Fucking cutouts.

goodgrief.jpg

The only full length South Park episode to be made of cut outs was in fact "cartman gets an anal probe" the rest was done using computers. Damn those cutouts that they used in every episode.

You're clutching at straws here Lariat, really are. South Park is the better sitcom, it's a better situation and a better comedy. South Park wins this hands down.

goodgrief.jpg

The only full length South Park episode to be made of cut outs was in fact "cartman gets an anal probe" the rest was done using computers. Damn those cutouts that they used in every episode.

You're clutching at straws here Lariat, really are. South Park is the better sitcom, it's a better situation and a better comedy. South Park wins this hands down.

Haha... Clutching at straws. South Park is inferior to a LOT of shows on TV, not just Seinfeld. To me, laughing because Cartman chopped up a kids parents and made them into chili, or because Kenny tries to abort his not-yet-born sibling, or because Jesus was on the show doesn't really add up to a good show. The only 'good' thing about it was it made fun of people I didn't like. Other than that, not really funny. Seinfeld's a much, MUCH better show. And didn't have to use as much pop culture and potty humor as South Park has.

But I'm not losing sleep over it. I knew this would happen.

Ahh, so the lack of great animation makes it a shit show. I see your point now. Wait what?

It's low quality, sophomoric humor. It's lowbrow writing, and it's ability to solely depend on pop culture to avoid cancellation make it bad.

So because it has a lot of pop cultural references that means it sucks? I'm having a hard time seeing why that matters.

Because that means no one on the show can be original. They depend on the news to make another episode. Seinfeld and other great shows didn't have to do that.

Congratulations. Again, how does that make it a better show?

Because it was original. It takes more creativity to entertain audiences by coming up with stuff that's rarely or never been used before.

So basically the majority of the television viewing audience.

18-49 is the majority of the television viewing audience. I covered about 10-15 percent of that audience.

No, it's not losing to potty humor. It's losing to a better, funnier show. The writing for South park is spectacular. Obviously some episodes are better then others, but I have never seen what I would call a "bad" episode of South Park. Seinfeld is good but South park is better.

Fair enough. But South Park is a far inferior show and many critics will agree. Matter of fact, many people would laugh at the notion of South Park being better than Seinfeld. Not because the show's funnier, but South Park's known for only stirring controversy by shocking people. Seinfeld never depended on toilet humor or shock value to get over.

It's low quality, sophomoric humor. It's lowbrow writing, and it's ability to solely depend on pop culture to avoid cancellation make it bad.

What the fuck does it matter what it relies on to get ratings? Seinfeld relied on the simple nuances of everyday life. Full House relied on cute babies and sappy storylines. Three's Company relied on Suzanne Somers being hot and John Ritter getting in and out of some outlandish situations. Every sitcom relies on something to get its viewers. You can't just discount it.

Because that means no one on the show can be original. They depend on the news to make another episode. Seinfeld and other great shows didn't have to do that.

If it is really that easy to make a show good then why has no one else been able to do it like South Park? It isn't that simple. South Park takes references to things happening in the world and adds creative storylines around it. The show is the perfect example of satire.

Because it was original. It takes more creativity to entertain audiences by coming up with stuff that's rarely or never been used before.

Seinfeld could be the most creative show ever, that doesn't make it great. You could put an Armani suit on Bastion Booger, he's still going to be a fat slob.

18-49 is the majority of the television viewing audience. I covered about 10-15 percent of that audience.

I know plenty of people in their 20's and 30's that love South Park.

Fair enough. But South Park is a far inferior show and many critics will agree. Matter of fact, many people would laugh at the notion of South Park being better than Seinfeld. Not because the show's funnier, but South Park's known for only stirring controversy by shocking people. Seinfeld never depended on toilet humor or shock value to get over.

Stop with the toilet humor bullshit. Is it part of the show? Sure. Is it the main reason it's successful? Fuck no. Beavis and Butthead was a show that had success because of toilet humor. South Park combines that with great writing and stortytelling. I highly doubt a show with "low quality, sophomoric humor," as you so eloquently put it, would have been nominated 8 times for an Emmy and won 3.

What the fuck does it matter what it relies on to get ratings? Seinfeld relied on the simple nuances of everyday life. Full House relied on cute babies and sappy storylines. Three's Company relied on Suzanne Somers being hot and John Ritter getting in and out of some outlandish situations. Every sitcom relies on something to get its viewers. You can't just discount it.

And South Park relies on childish humor and pop culture. And in comparing it to Seinfeld, I can discount it because it makes it inferior to Seinfeld.

If it is really that easy to make a show good then why has no one else been able to do it like South Park? It isn't that simple. South Park takes references to things happening in the world and adds creative storylines around it. The show is the perfect example of satire.

No one wants to. That's why. South Park is VERY simple. It takes about TWO WEEKS, to make the show. Seinfeld was filmed, edited, rehearsed, and put on TV in a span of 3 months. It's a lot tougher to do live action than to do the animation for South Park. Period. And satire? It's a perfect example of satire? Satire is clever. South Park is not.

Seinfeld could be the most creative show ever, that doesn't make it great. You could put an Armani suit on Bastion Booger, he's still going to be a fat slob.

What a terrible comparison. What they did was put an Armani suit on Ric Flair. Seinfeld got over with more people and had longevity in an era where shows were hard to come by. The only fat slob here is South Park.

I know plenty of people in their 20's and 30's that love South Park.

I don't. Next.

Stop with the toilet humor bullshit. Is it part of the show? Sure. Is it the main reason it's successful? Fuck no. Beavis and Butthead was a show that had success because of toilet humor. South Park combines that with great writing and stortytelling. I highly doubt a show with "low quality, sophomoric humor," as you so eloquently put it, would have been nominated 8 times for an Emmy and won 3.

You're comparing AWARDS now? OK.

Emmy Award for Best COMEDY series. As in, comedy. Not animated comedy. Just comedy. Seinfeld has an Emmy in 1993 and was nominated from 1992-1998.

Golden Globes? Well... one in 1994. And was nominated from 1994 to 1998. And Screen Actors Guild awards? Three of them: 1995, 1997, and 1998.

So, yea. South Park's not considered to even be in the category of an actual comedy. It's merely in the animated comedy categories. Oh well. It's like winning the US title when Seinfeld's been World Champions in three different promotions. :D

Seinfeld's just better than South Park.

And South Park relies on childish humor and pop culture. And in comparing it to Seinfeld, I can discount it because it makes it inferior to Seinfeld.

YOU may think that, but if you look up at the scoreboard more people on here disagree then agree with you. Of course according to you everyone that voted for South Park is an idiot and they only voted that way because they aren't smart enough to understand Seinfeld's humor.

No one wants to. That's why.

Lol. No one wants to have one of the most successful shows in television history? That's like saying no one wants to win the lottery because they wouldn't have earned the money. No one can do what South Park does because it is one of a kind. No one can combine all of the elements that South Park does and make it as successful.

South Park is VERY simple. It takes about TWO WEEKS, to make the show. Seinfeld was filmed, edited, rehearsed, and put on TV in a span of 3 months. It's a lot tougher to do live action than to do the animation for South Park. Period. And satire? It's a perfect example of satire? Satire is clever. South Park is not.

What does length have to do with fucking anything? Just because it doesn't take long to make doesn't make it inferior.

What a terrible comparison. What they did was put an Armani suit on Ric Flair. Seinfeld got over with more people and had longevity in an era where shows were hard to come by. The only fat slob here is South Park.

I was comparing your statement that creativity doesn't always make a show the best. The most creative show in the world could also be one of the shittiest. Seinfeld isn't shitty, but it also isn't the greatest show ever.

You're comparing AWARDS now? OK.

When did I COMPARE awards. I listed the awards South Park had because you said: "It's low quality, sophomoric humor. It's lowbrow writing." I was just showing that if South Park was really that bad then there is no way it would have won or been nominated for anything.

I prefer South Park. To me (and as it looks now the majority of the people on this forum) it is a better show. I'm not going to shit on Seinfeld and say it was the worst show ever. Like I said in a couple previous posts I actually think it is a fairly good show, just no where near as good as South Park. Your criticism for South Park is mostly baseless bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back