Status
Not open for further replies.

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner

90's Region - 3rd Round - Seinfeld vs Friends

11437__seinfeld_l.jpg

VS

cast2.jpg

So, here's what we have here. We have Seinfeld, a sitcom GOD, versus Friends. Which wouldn't be here without Seinfeld. See, Friends was put on Thursdays at 8:30 back on September 22nd, 1994. What show was on at 9 that year? And was NBC's ratings hog? Seinfeld! You heard it right. Now, I'm going to break this down in Network Exec. speak.

Friends was given a cushy timeslot because the Network was high on the show. So, the execs liked the show enough to give it some boost as far as ratings are concerned. Mad About You and other shows weren't that successful on Thursdays, but Seinfeld would save the day. Seinfeld was on at 9, a prime slot for a show. Friends was before Seinfeld. So what happened to Friends is they got viewers who were waiting on Seinfeld to watch Friends. Funny how TV works.

Friends isn't as shitty as X says, but it's not even in the hemisphere of Seinfeld. Elaine is more awesome than Rachel, Phoebe, and Monica COMBINED! Period. George and Jerry would straight up knuckle rape Joey, Ross, and Chandler. It's as simple as that. Vote Seinfeld. Because without Seinfeld, maybe Friends wouldn't have been around.

While I don't agree with you about The Simpsons/Family Ties matchup, I certainly agree with you here.

I believe that Seinfeld is the better show here. Seinfeld was a great show with a great concept and a great cast. Friends was an OK show and while sometimes I found it funny, it is nowhere near Seinfeld. People have their opinions, I know, but sometimes shows are just better than others, such is the case here. Seinfeld is a stable in sitcom history and one of the most important, quoted, and popular shows ever. Vote Seinfeld.

I admit I'm not the biggest Seinfeld fan ever, but it gets my vote over Friends for two reasons.

Reason #1: The Soup Nazi episode. Easily my favorite Seinfeld episode and there really is no comparison. That blows anything Friends ever did out of the water and then some.

Reason #2: I cannot stand Friends, it's bland, boring, and I was forced to watch it for many a year because of my mom.

Those two reasons and you don't see anyone trying to recapture the "magic" Friends had but you have shows like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Curb Your Enthusiasm trying to find a groove that Seinfeld had.

Reactions: gd
So, here's what we have here. We have Seinfeld, a sitcom GOD, versus Friends. Which wouldn't be here without Seinfeld. See, Friends was put on Thursdays at 8:30 back on September 22nd, 1994. What show was on at 9 that year? And was NBC's ratings hog? Seinfeld! You heard it right. Now, I'm going to break this down in Network Exec. speak.

Friends was given a cushy timeslot because the Network was high on the show. It was basically a spinoff of the British comedy Coupling. No one will admit that, but it was. I've watched both shows. Enough said. So, the execs liked the show enough to give it some boost as far as ratings are concerned. Mad About You and other shows weren't that successful on Thursdays, but Seinfeld would save the day. Seinfeld was on at 9, a prime slot for a show. Friends was before Seinfeld. So what happened to Friends is they got viewers who were waiting on Seinfeld to watch Friends. Funny how TV works.

Friends isn't as shitty as X says, but it's not even in the hemisphere of Seinfeld. Elaine is more awesome than Rachel, Phoebe, and Monica COMBINED! Period. George and Jerry would straight up knuckle rape Joey, Ross, and Chandler. It's as simple as that. Vote Seinfeld. Because without Seinfeld, maybe Friends wouldn't have been around.

How could a show (Coupling) that began airing in 2000 be the basis for a 'spinoff' show (Friends) that itself began airing in 1994? Also the way I hear it most of Friends first season script submissions were basically retooled Seinfeld scripts. Anyways... I'm voting Seinfeld.

I gave my vote to Seinfeld. I’ve just never really liked Friends and don’t really understand what’s so great about it. I guess it’s just a different a taste between people that don’t like Friends, such as myself, and the people that do.

Anyways, Seinfeld is a great show even though some people find it overrated. The characters are great, I especially love the character of Kramer, he‘s my favorite. The main characters section for Seinfeld on Wikipedia describes him as wacky and that’s exactly what he is, but in a good way. He is just always funny to watch no matter what he does. The writing is good too and it’s just a great show overall. I don’t think there will ever be a show just like Seinfeld that will become just as popular again.

Overrated or not, vote Seinfeld!

How could a show (Coupling) that began airing in 2000 be the basis for a 'spinoff' show (Friends) that itself began airing in 1994? Also the way I hear it most of Friends first season script submissions were basically retooled Seinfeld scripts. Anyways... I'm voting Seinfeld.

Ugh.

I thought Coupling was much older. Must have been the BBC camera's... I jest. But in all seriousness, the rest of my argument stands. Seinfeld is world's better than Friends. And without Seinfeld, Friends would have been put on a shitty time slot, been canceled, and Mad About You would be in the 3rd round.

Two shows that were very similar. Both shows had a group of friends. Both shows had a specific spot where they would hang out. Both shows were extremely funny. The major difference is the type of humor. With Seinfeld being more dry and witty then Friends, and Friends had a humor that you didnt have to look for, it was just there. I think Seinfeld is overrated garbage. The same with Friends. However, I enjoyed friends more, because at the end of a stressful day. I don't want to be thinking about the humor, I just want to be laughing, and Friends did that for me.

Not a big fan either, but I'm more not a fan of Friends than of Seinfeld. Monkey said the humor was just there, which I suppose would be true if it had any humor. I get his point though, Friends wasn't as imaginative or creative as Seinfeld, or was more like your standard sitcom, except for a really good cast of good looking people (except for David Schimmer.)

At least Seinfeld was something different that could be hilarious at times, even if it kind of missed the boat at others. It gets my vote here, but I won't through a hissy fit if it loses.

The main characters section for Seinfeld on Wikipedia describes him as wacky and that’s exactly what he is, but in a good way.

:lmao::lmao: ST, you make my day.

I voted for Friends despite its short comings. I never really was that big of a fan of Seinfeld, apart from maybe an episode or two. I never really could get into the humor of that show. Friends was hit and miss, it would have great material one episode then the next be completely mediocre. The Ross and Rachel thing went back and forth so many times that people stopped caring eventually.

The fact that Friends is losing here, is a fucking tragedy. I have no idea why people find Seinfeld so funny and I guess I never will.

Friends was a consistently great show and all of the characters had their own little things that would have me in stsitches. Call me easy to please or an idiot all you must but Friends is one of the best shows to hit TV. Seinfeld is not my idea of comedy. Jerry Seinfeld is the least likeable character I have ever come across and I hate the ground the man walks on. It is not as though I have not given it enough chances to win me over. I have watched a few episodes but I never thought it was as funny as Friends. Friends is one the shows that I never get tired watching. I routinely start watching at the first episode and don't stop until I finish at the last one. Each episode has it's own great story and is filled with laughs across the board.

I have never been a fan of Seinfeld and apparently it is lost on me. I watched the soup nazi episode and thought that it was OK. I could take multiple episodes of Friends and it would be better already. Matthew Perry in Friends is one of the best performances of Snide humour I have ever witnessed. He was perfection and beats any character on Seinfeld hands down.

I love both shows, and this would be my dream final, but someone sucks at holding this matchup off...

It was a hard choice for me, because I fucking love both shows, and they both deserve to go on and win it, there isnt a show Id root for more, not even Frasier. I choose Friends, because I think I watch it a lot more, and the Friends group seems like a family to me. Maybe that was helped by my family and my girlfriend also loving Friends, while neither liked Seinfeld.

I had to vote for Seinfeld her because It was a better show all round because the characters from Seinfeld were just so different but the way the show came out was amazing

Seinfeld is shit, and the way you know that it is shit is that it is poorly syndicated internationally. It somehow surfaced on a cultural crestwave in America and now people like it because they used to, but it really isn't very good. Friends was quite formulaic, but it is emphatically more watchable than Seinfeld. When people think of Friends, they think of the characters and of a range of storylines that they liked, when people think of Seinfeld, they think of the Soup Nazi, because the rest of it was disposable waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back