90's Legion of Doom/Road Warriors- so much pop, so little production

Has there ever been an act that was so over with the fans, while producing so little? Now realize when I say "producing so little".

I'm not sure what you mean by producing so little? I'm guessing you mean quality 5 star matches with triple sommersaults and 100 near falls per match, Thats not what the Road Warriors role was though, Their role was to demolish oponents and kick ass and they done that and played their roles perfectly, They were also so marketable they looked like tough pro wrestlers who could genuinly kick the crap out of anyone instead of the skinny weak looking guys we have now that wouldn't last 5 seconds in a real match.
Admittedly there probably are more now who are better at having quicker, fast paced matches but they don't even hold a fraction of the Road Warriors popularity and overness, Even in their entrance the energy when the what a rush words and music sounded, When I was young I remember the amount of people I used to see wearing LOD T-shirts I never see that now and especially not with a tag team, If your not into them then fair enough but to even question why their popularity shows me that your probably quite young and only seen one or two matches and think your an expert.

I wouldn't go nearly as far as to say the Road Warriors produced "little" throughout the entirety of the 90's; it was more so just their last WWF run, when both guys were pretty much past their primes, that they did relatively nothing of note while still remaining incredibly over. I mean, as you said, from 90-92 they were still treated as the top tag team in the world and went on to have the dream-feud with Demolition before winning the titles and holding them for 6 months. The feud with Demolition might have been poorly received compared to what most people were expecting, but that had nothing to do with the Road Warriors. Ax was basically done at that point and the addition of Crush took a ton of steam away from a program that fans had been waiting for for a long time. And than the Rocco fiasco... that's better left unmentioned.

Then they pretty much disappeared on the US scene for 4 years (or at least Hawk did) and when they came back in 96, people went nuts, obviously, because arguably the greatest tag team of all time had just reunited. In WCW, they feuded with the top teams (Harlem Heat, The Steiners, Lex and Sting) and although they weren't as dominant as they had been in the past, they were still being treated as a pretty huge deal. Even when they returned to the WWF in 97, they were inserted into the hottest angle going at that time and won the titles again. Being destroyed by the NAO completely made that tag team as well.

At that point, they were already bonafide legends so of course they were going to continue to get cheered. I guess I can see what you're saying, but I disagree with the notion that the Road Warriors as a tag team produced little throughout the 90's. A better example would be Ric Flair in the 2000's.

I'm not sure what you mean by producing so little?

I'm pretty sure he means the quality of the runs in terms of memorable matches, intense feuds, rivalries, angles etc....when they came into the WWF in 1990 it was a major coup for the WWF and wrestling fans in general. Finally we were going to see the dream matches we'd all been waiting for. The WWF tag team division was deep during the mid-to late '80's. The Hart Foundation, the Bulldogs, Demolition, Powers of Pain, the Rockers Strike Force. Now add the Road Warriors into the mix?!?

BUT it never materialized. The feud with Demolition was cut short, many of the tag teams had disbanded by the time the Warriors' arrived, and the WWF was going through a transition period but through it all the Road Warriors remained the most over tag team and two of the most over superstars in the Federation despite not having the memorable matches, feuds, and angles like the other superstars had. The pinnacle of their first run was the 1991 Survivor Series where they were sole survivors but Hawk was suspended right after negating any momentum they had. Then they dropped the belts to Money Inc and were off TV until SummerSlam where they were scheduled for semi-main event but Hawk got fucked up McMahon busted them down to second match and Hawk left right after.

Of course they split for awhile and had a short run un memorable run in WCW. They return the WWF in 1997 and the crowd was electric. They popped massively for the Road Warriors but again nothing was done with them. They won the tag title from the Godwinns only to lose them the Outlaws a month later and get buried with no rebuttal. They become LOD 2000 first with Sunny and then Droz. Paul Ellering returns but he his inexplicably paired with DOA which made NO sense. We get the infamous Hawk angle where falls off the Titan Tron but before we can get a resolution the angle is scrapped.

They sit out the remainder of their contracts and leave the WWF on bad terms.

LOD returns one more time in 2003. Again. Massive pop from the crowd!!! We think we might see the Warriors long term but nothing comes of it. So their run in the 1990's (despite being MASSIVELY over) was frustrating in term of they couldn't get that one solid feud or angle to solidify them as the feud with Horsemen had the 1980's. It was one thing after another. As I stated earlier there three reasons for this.

1) Bad booking. The feud with Demolition was a missed opportunity. Of course it didn;t have the same feel with Crush being in there but they only faced off at one PPV and that Survivor Series 1990. Rocco the dummy in 1992. Need I say more and of course the getting destroyed by the New Age Outlaws with no rebuttal. They tried to repackage LOD as LOD 2000 with Sunny but that didn't work, you can't change an iconic look.

2) the disintegration of the WWF tag team division in the early 90's. Many of the teams of '80's had disbanded so it was tough to find a solid feud for the Warriors. They had lukewarm feuds with Money Inc and the Disasters but neither team was a real tag team.

3) Hawk's demons. He cost the LOD a solid run by getting suspended in 1991 just as they were taking off, then quits in 1992 after SummerSlam. His troubles were more than what Vince was willing to put up with by 1998 and they gone shortly thereafter.

But again, as the OP said. they remained incredibly over as a tag team despite the troubles, the hiatuses, the poor matches, feuds, and angles.

The Road Warriors by 1989 had already had their aura and invincibility killed by the new red hot team on the block, The Steiner Brothers. They were never the same after 1989. The Road Warriors ruled the 80's, The Steiners ruled the 90's.

The Road Warriors in 97-98 weren't The Road Warriors of the 80's but their run wasn't as bad as some people are making it out to be. People are looking too much into the negatives and are forgetting the good moments they did have.

Good moments like the Chicago Street Fight with The Nation Of Domination at Wrestlemania 13, which was a helluva fun match and the second best match that night after Bret vs. Austin. LOD and Ahmed's entrance with the gloves and black shoulder pads was badass and what a pop they got. The 10-Man Tag with The Hart Foundation at Canadian Stampede. LOD had a good Tag Team Title match with Austin and Michaels on Raw after Austin and Michaels won the belts from Owen and Bulldog the previous week and both Austin and Michaels made them look like the LOD of old, the match was thrown out due to interference from The Hart Foundation. LOD breaking Henry Godwinns' neck with The Doomsday Device...alright that sounds cruel and it was an accident obviously but what I mean is that it made LOD look just as dangerous as they did before. The Raw episode in October that was centered around the LOD where they promised they would retire if they couldn't win the belts from The Godwinns, they paid tribute to the LOD throughout the entire show, showing highlights of their career and then they beat The Godwinns in the main event to win the titles. The feud with The New Age Outlaws in which LOD put them over tremendously and helped make The New Age Outlaws the new top tag team in the WWF, I don't know how some people are seeing that as a burial and a negative. If LOD had did this with another tag team and that tag team didn't become a big tag team off of it and remained in the same lower mid-card position they were in before the feud, then you have something to complain about. That whole shaving Hawk's hair and putting them through the announce table both happened on the same episode of Raw, not different episodes of Raw, and it was a foreshadowing of the DX that was to come after Wrestlemania 14, who would be the top, most popular and best version of that stable. LOD didn't get a rebuttal? They didn't need a rebuttal just like Mick Foley didn't need a rebuttal against Randy Orton or any other veteran doesn't need a rebuttal when they are helping to make a new young rising star. They were over anyway and gave The Outlaws a nice 4 month reign with the Tag Team Titles rather than play hot potato with them. And although LOD 2000 didn't work out, they got a good pop from the crowd at Wrestlemania 14 when they came out with their new look and Sunny as their new manager. It looked promising but unfortunately it never worked out.

I'm not sure what you mean by producing so little? I'm guessing you mean quality 5 star matches with triple sommersaults and 100 near falls per match, Thats not what the Road Warriors role was though, Their role was to demolish oponents and kick ass and they done that and played their roles perfectly, They were also so marketable they looked like tough pro wrestlers who could genuinly kick the crap out of anyone instead of the skinny weak looking guys we have now that wouldn't last 5 seconds in a real match.
Admittedly there probably are more now who are better at having quicker, fast paced matches but they don't even hold a fraction of the Road Warriors popularity and overness, Even in their entrance the energy when the what a rush words and music sounded, When I was young I remember the amount of people I used to see wearing LOD T-shirts I never see that now and especially not with a tag team, If your not into them then fair enough but to even question why their popularity shows me that your probably quite young and only seen one or two matches and think your an expert.

I mean, after they lost the WWF tag titles in early 1992.....what did they DO? Not much of anything. Not kayfabe and not in terms of match quality, quality of feuds, quality of angles, etc.

But we're in 1998, 6 years after they last did anything important, and the fans are still cheering like mad for them.....in an entirely different era of wrestling! No matter what, they stayed over.

I'm not young, I was watching back when they were the top tag team. I'm not questioning why they were popular either. I'm just pointing out how they stayed so over with the fans even after numerous hiatus's and years of a lack of any real success.

Good moments like the Chicago Street Fight with The Nation Of Domination at Wrestlemania 13, which was a helluva fun match and the second best match that night after Bret vs. Austin. LOD and Ahmed's entrance with the gloves and black shoulder pads was badass and what a pop they got. The 10-Man Tag with The Hart Foundation at Canadian Stampede.

Won't dispute those were some "moments" but in the totality of their run from '97-'98 they were flashes in the pan. They never had an extended feud with either the Nation nor the HF. They never fought in the Nation nor the HF in any tag team matches I remember. They were more or less "hired guns" brought in by Ahmed and Austin to assist in their respective feuds. Those were some highlights but again as far as any kind of extended feud it was non-existent. They were more or less brought in for a quick one
off.

Tag Team Title match with Austin and Michaels on Raw after Austin and Michaels won the belts from Owen and Bulldog the previous week and both Austin and Michaels made them look like the LOD of old,

They had that and a good match with DX on RAW where HBK sold like a million bucks which makes me wonder why they ripped him in their shoot. Maybe they felt like he undermined them?

LOD breaking Henry Godwinns' neck with The Doomsday Device...alright that sounds cruel and it was an accident obviously but what I mean is that it made LOD look just as dangerous as they did before. The Raw episode in October that was centered around the LOD where they promised they would retire if they couldn't win the belts from The Godwinns, they paid tribute to the LOD throughout the entire show, showing highlights of their career and then they beat The Godwinns in the main event to win the titles.

The Godwinns were probably their most memorable feud of that time. I do remember that was intense.

The feud with The New Age Outlaws in which LOD put them over tremendously and helped make The New Age Outlaws the new top tag team in the WWF, I don't know how some people are seeing that as a burial and a negative. If LOD had did this with another tag team and that tag team didn't become a big tag team off of it and remained in the same lower mid-card position they were in before the feud, then you have something to complain about. That whole shaving Hawk's hair and putting them through the announce table both happened on the same episode of Raw, not different episodes of Raw, and it was a foreshadowing of the DX that was to come after Wrestlemania 14, who would be the top, most popular and best version of that stable. LOD didn't get a rebuttal? They didn't need a rebuttal just like Mick Foley didn't need a rebuttal against Randy Orton or any other veteran doesn't need a rebuttal when they are helping to make a new young rising star. They were over anyway and gave The Outlaws a nice 4 month reign with the Tag Team Titles rather than play hot potato with them. And although LOD 2000 didn't work out, they got a good pop from the crowd at Wrestlemania 14 when they came out with their new look and Sunny as their new manager. It looked promising but unfortunately it never worked out.

Yes that did help make the Outlaws but it would've helped LOD IF the Outlaws (who had just been elevated by LOD to new heights) returned the favor the make the feud even hotter. What's the point of making the Outlaws only to discontinue to feud with them?!? They would miss out on all that money an LOD vs NAO feud would make.

They were over anyway and gave The Outlaws a nice 4 month reign with the Tag Team Titles rather than play hot potato with them. And although LOD 2000 didn't work out, they got a good pop from the crowd at Wrestlemania 14 when they came out with their new look and Sunny as their new manager. It looked promising but unfortunately it never worked out.

Yes they were over, but getting their revenge for such a public humiliation would make them even more over in the eyes of fans. As the humiliation of LOD was going on I remember thinking to myself as a fan, "Oh MAN! I can't wait till LOD exacts some revenge on these punks!!" but we never got that. When LOD 2000 came out they should have immediately beat down the NAO and left them laying at WM 14 setting up an LOD/NAO feud that would last months. That would have been memorable. Instead they turn Ellering on the LOD and put him with DOA (why?!?) and set a forgettable LOD vs DOA feud nobody wanted to see. I mean imagine the NAO w/ Chyna beating down the LOD on a 3 on 2 and here come Paul Ellering to even the score! C'mon! It's not even close!! The WWF screwed up big time.

Won't dispute those were some "moments" but in the totality of their run from '97-'98 they were flashes in the pan. They never had an extended feud with either the Nation nor the HF. They never fought in the Nation nor the HF in any tag team matches I remember. They were more or less "hired guns" brought in by Ahmed and Austin to assist in their respective feuds. Those were some highlights but again as far as any kind of extended feud it was non-existent. They were more or less brought in for a quick one
off.

Yes that did help make the Outlaws but it would've helped LOD IF the Outlaws (who had just been elevated by LOD to new heights) returned the favor the make the feud even hotter. What's the point of making the Outlaws only to discontinue to feud with them?!? They would miss out on all that money an LOD vs NAO feud would make.

Yes they were over, but getting their revenge for such a public humiliation would make them even more over in the eyes of fans. As the humiliation of LOD was going on I remember thinking to myself as a fan, "Oh MAN! I can't wait till LOD exacts some revenge on these punks!!" but we never got that. When LOD 2000 came out they should have immediately beat down the NAO and left them laying at WM 14 setting up an LOD/NAO feud that would last months. That would have been memorable. Instead they turn Ellering on the LOD and put him with DOA (why?!?) and set a forgettable LOD vs DOA feud nobody wanted to see. I mean imagine the NAO w/ Chyna beating down the LOD on a 3 on 2 and here come Paul Ellering to even the score! C'mon! It's not even close!! The WWF screwed up big time.

Except they were feuding with The Hart Foundation and had two Tag Team Title matches against Owen and Bulldog at the two In Your House PPV's before Canadian Stampede and they didn't win the titles but they won both matches by DQ. Do you get Austin's character? Austin doesn't hire anybody to fight his battles especially against a stable. They were all put together by the WWF not Austin because Austin and Shamrock were feuding with Bret, LOD with Owen and Bulldog, and Pillman with Goldust. LOD did feud with The Nation later in the year, losing to The Rock, Kama and D-Lo Brown in a 2-on-3 Handicap match at Badd Blood.

I'm sorry but by the time The Outlaws became the top tag team of the WWF, they were the most popular tag team on the roster, more popular than LOD and they weren't gonna have two babyface tag teams feud with each other and LOD-NAO wasn't gonna draw any money as people had seen enough matches by them at that point. And NAO had moved onto feud with Cactus and Chainsaw, another pair of veterans who elevated the NAO much higher, who had a much hotter feud than LOD-NAO with NAO pushing Cactus and Chainsaw off the stage in a dumpster and having the entire WWF roster come out afterwards and want to kill the NAO for their actions with only Hunter and Michaels supporting their actions backstage and then recruiting them for their 10-Man Tag Team main event against Austin, Owen, Cactus and Chainsaw at No Way Out. And then you had the night after Wrestlemania 14 with the NAO regaining the belts from Cactus and Chainsaw in the Steel Cage and joining DX. They did remain heels for their first month in DX and had another Tag Title defense against the LOD at Unforgiven, who won the #1 Contendership Battle Royal at Wrestlemania 14, but the NAO had become too popular, were turned face and feuded with The Nation, which was an even hotter feud than the LOD and Cactus/Chainsaw feuds. Just because you were the only one who wanted to see the LOD-NAO feud continue, doesn't mean the WWF should've prolonged it and missed out on those other hotter feuds. The LOD had already achieved their purpose in making The Outlaws a credible tag team, there was no need to take their feud further. Should Mick Foley have prolonged his feud with Orton in 2004 after Backlash and gotten a victory over Orton just for the sake of giving Foley a win back? No. Face it dude, LOD were past their prime by the late 90's but they were will still over enough to get another team over, so why not use them for that purpose? It happens to other veterans in wrestling.

DOA were meant to be another tag team that the WWF wanted LOD to elevate, nothing wrong with that since LOD had accomplished that with one of their other tag teams, the NAO. LOD vs. DOA was the type of feud you would've gotten back in the LOD's early days, two big tough badass tag teams going at it. Unfortunantely it didn't work out for DOA. Why is Paul Ellering managing Authors Of Pain? Why did Mr. Fuji turn on Demolition and side with The Powers Of Pain? We didn't get explainations for those either but there could be many simple reasons that you really don't even need to ask why. Maybe Paul was angry with the LOD for not bringing him back with them to the WWF in 97 and WCW in 96, maybe they had issues outside of the ring and Paul got sick of them especially Hawk with his demons (in kayfabe) which WWF would incorporate into the feud (and I'm not defending that part of the feud btw, I don't think they should've done that either, I don't know what was WWF and WCW's problem with turning Scott Hall and Hawk's demons into a storyline), maybe Paul wanted to be with a younger rising tag team and help get them over at the expense of his former team because he knew LOD's prime was over. Who knows but it doesn't really take a genius to figure out that maybe it could be one of those reasons. Companies just don't explain things sometimes even though the reasons are usually easy to figure out.

Except they were feuding with The Hart Foundation and had two Tag Team Title matches against Owen and Bulldog at the two In Your House PPV's before Canadian Stampede and they didn't win the titles but they won both matches by DQ.

Did you go back and look that up? OK two DQ matches? Big fucking whoop. Certainly not memorable. You seem to know the exact PPV's and finishes? I doubt you knew that off the top of your head. Don't recall the LOD feuding with Bulldog and Owen as they were the midst of their feud with the Godwinns at the time but I could be mistaken. Whatever. Neither "feud" was certainly memorable. The Foundation had their issues with Shamrock and Austin and of course HBK. Bulldog/Owen/Bret would all go on to feud with Shamrock/Austin/HBK in that order at SummerSlam. LOD's big feud was with the Godwinns.

I'm sorry but by the time The Outlaws became the top tag team of the WWF, they were the most popular tag team on the roster, more popular than LOD and they weren't gonna have two babyface tag teams feud with each other

Outlaws were hardly a "babyface" tag team at the time. They became tweeners in DX but when they first got together they were clearly heels. They did not become massively over until 1998.

LOD-NAO wasn't gonna draw any money as people had seen enough matches by them at that point. And NAO had moved onto feud with Cactus and Chainsaw, another pair of veterans who elevated the NAO much higher, who had a much hotter feud than LOD-NAO with NAO pushing Cactus and Chainsaw off the stage in a dumpster and having the entire WWF roster come out afterwards and want to kill the NAO for their actions with only Hunter and Michaels supporting their actions backstage and then recruiting them for their 10-Man Tag Team main event against Austin, Owen, Cactus and Chainsaw at No Way Out

What matches were those? You are honestly telling me after publicly humiliating LOD the way they did , shaving their heads, putting them through tables etc....there was no money in an LOD/NAO feud?!? People didn't want to see LOD get their revenge?!? I'm saying you're flat out wrong there. I don't get that. As far as Cactus and Chainsaw they could've done all that prior to WM 14 as LOD was still "out." So the NAO could've still been elevated. LOD 2000 makes their "re-debut" at WM 14 with an NAO revenge beatdown and we have the cage match the next night on RAW. There is no way in hell you're going to convince me NAO vs Cactus and "Chainsaw" was hotter than a potential NAO vs LOD feud. No way. Chainsaw Charlie? Are you serious?

Just because you were the only one who wanted to see the LOD-NAO feud continue, doesn't mean the WWF should've prolonged it and missed out on those other hotter feuds. The LOD had already achieved their purpose in making The Outlaws a credible tag team, there was no need to take their feud further. Should Mick Foley have prolonged his feud with Orton in 2004 after Backlash and gotten a victory over Orton just for the sake of giving Foley a win back? No. Face it dude, LOD were past their prime by the late 90's but they were will still over enough to get another team over, so why not use them for that purpose? It happens to other veterans in wrestling.

I'm the only one? Yeah right, OK that's why LOD stayed hot throughout the 90's. I guess I was the only one cheering. Like I said they could've still had the Cactus/Chainsaw feud and the NAO could've still moved to the Nation after the LOD. The NAO would still go over but it would've gave the LOD a measure if revenge. Why only have two hot feuds when you can have three? The Nation was not going anywhere. Yeah LOD was past their prime but you just said it. They were over. So why not have them get revenge at WM 14 set up the cage match with LOD the next night on RAW. NAO does their thing and then go off from there. NAO would still go over in the end but it would elevate them that much more. It's like Bret tried to do with Shawn. The longer the feud the more meaningful it is when the team wins.

DOA were meant to be another tag team that the WWF wanted LOD to elevate, nothing wrong with that since LOD had accomplished that with one of their other tag teams, the NAO. LOD vs. DOA was the type of feud you would've gotten back in the LOD's early days, two big tough badass tag teams going at it. Unfortunantely it didn't work out for DOA.

When had the LOD going up against two guys similar to them ever worked out?!? They were at their best they faced the Midnights in '86 and Tully and Arn in '87, the Steiners in '90 no one wanted to see them vs the Powers of Pain or the Skyscrapers. It was hardto watch. It was just four guys beating the hell out of each other. LOD needed a wrestling tag team to work with so they could sell for them.

Why did Mr. Fuji turn on Demolition and side with The Powers Of Pain?

Fuji turned heel because the Powers turned heel and Demolition turn babyface. It was a double turn as for the kayfabe reason it was some BS about Demolition "not listening to Fuji anymore." I don't see what that has to do with anything. Fuji was not with Demolition as long as Ellering was with the Warriors. Ellering was a de facto third member.

maybe Paul wanted to be with a younger rising tag team and help get them over at the expense of his former team because he knew LOD's prime was over. Who knows but it doesn't really take a genius to figure out that maybe it could be one of those reasons. Companies just don't explain things sometimes even though the reasons are usually easy to figure out.

Well that was the "kayfabe" reason they gave. That DOA was supposed to be some rising tag team but we knew that was BS. They weren't going anywhere. Maybe you have Ellering turn on DOA and reform with LOD. That would be something. Paul Ellering is and always will be a Road Warrior. That's like having JJ Dillon turn on the Horsemen. It's simply not believable.

Did you go back and look that up? OK two DQ matches? Big fucking whoop. Certainly not memorable. You seem to know the exact PPV's and finishes? I doubt you knew that off the top of your head. Don't recall the LOD feuding with Bulldog and Owen as they were the midst of their feud with the Godwinns at the time but I could be mistaken. Whatever. Neither "feud" was certainly memorable. The Foundation had their issues with Shamrock and Austin and of course HBK. Bulldog/Owen/Bret would all go on to feud with Shamrock/Austin/HBK in that order at SummerSlam. LOD's big feud was with the Godwinns.

Outlaws were hardly a "babyface" tag team at the time. They became tweeners in DX but when they first got together they were clearly heels. They did not become massively over until 1998.

What matches were those? You are honestly telling me after publicly humiliating LOD the way they did , shaving their heads, putting them through tables etc....there was no money in an LOD/NAO feud?!? People didn't want to see LOD get their revenge?!? I'm saying you're flat out wrong there. I don't get that. As far as Cactus and Chainsaw they could've done all that prior to WM 14 as LOD was still "out." So the NAO could've still been elevated. LOD 2000 makes their "re-debut" at WM 14 with an NAO revenge beatdown and we have the cage match the next night on RAW. There is no way in hell you're going to convince me NAO vs Cactus and "Chainsaw" was hotter than a potential NAO vs LOD feud. No way. Chainsaw Charlie? Are you serious?

I'm the only one? Yeah right, OK that's why LOD stayed hot throughout the 90's. I guess I was the only one cheering. Like I said they could've still had the Cactus/Chainsaw feud and the NAO could've still moved to the Nation after the LOD. The NAO would still go over but it would've gave the LOD a measure if revenge. Why only have two hot feuds when you can have three? The Nation was not going anywhere. Yeah LOD was past their prime but you just said it. They were over. So why not have them get revenge at WM 14 set up the cage match with LOD the next night on RAW. NAO does their thing and then go off from there. NAO would still go over in the end but it would elevate them that much more. It's like Bret tried to do with Shawn. The longer the feud the more meaningful it is when the team wins.

When had the LOD going up against two guys similar to them ever worked out?!? They were at their best they faced the Midnights in '86 and Tully and Arn in '87, the Steiners in '90 no one wanted to see them vs the Powers of Pain or the Skyscrapers. It was hardto watch. It was just four guys beating the hell out of each other. LOD needed a wrestling tag team to work with so they could sell for them.

Fuji turned heel because the Powers turned heel and Demolition turn babyface. It was a double turn as for the kayfabe reason it was some BS about Demolition "not listening to Fuji anymore." I don't see what that has to do with anything. Fuji was not with Demolition as long as Ellering was with the Warriors. Ellering was a de facto third member.

Well that was the "kayfabe" reason they gave. That DOA was supposed to be some rising tag team but we knew that was BS. They weren't going anywhere. Maybe you have Ellering turn on DOA and reform with LOD. That would be something. Paul Ellering is and always will be a Road Warrior. That's like having JJ Dillon turn on the Horsemen. It's simply not believable.

Who is saying it was memorable? Not me. You asked me if they had a proper feud with each other as if it makes any difference because the Canadian Stampede main event is memorable whether LOD had a proper feud with them or not and that's all that counts, I told you they did and you're getting your panties in a twist over nothing, lol. Who cares if the two PPV matches they had before Canadian Stampede weren't memorable? The point is they did have a proper feud, which you asked if they did, so you should be feeling satisfied. The LOD started feuding with The Godwinns after the Canadian Stampede main event, LOD feuded with Bulldog and Owen before it.

I'm talking about after all those several matches NAO and LOD had with each other. By Unforgiven, which was the final time they faced off, NAO went on to be massively popular faces not long after, so there's no way they should've prolonged the NAO/LOD feud just because you think it would've been the best idea in your fantasy world when in reality the DX vs. The Nation feud was a much better idea.

So LOD/NAO would've been a money feud after just one in-ring segment where they shaved Hawk's hair and put them through the announce table? LOL. What NAO did to Cactus and Chainsaw the following month, shoving them off the stage in the Dumpster, was much more controversial, which is why it was a much hotter feud than LOD/NAO. The matches NAO had with LOD, the first match they had on Raw in 97 where NAO won the belts from them, their rematch at In Your House: D-Generation X, their Royal Rumble rematch and the shaving Hawk's hair/putting them through the tables segment happened before their Royal Rumble match. And they had another Tag Title match at Unforgiven. Are you telling me people wanted to continue seeing LOD vs. NAO after those several matches? No, the Cactus and Chainsaw feud with NAO needed to happen at the time it did and at Wrestlemania 14 because the following night on Raw, not only did the WWF use the Steel Cage rematch to set up NAO joining DX but they also used it to set up Foley's feud with Austin as the crowd chanted for Austin to help Cactus and Chainsaw when DX was beating the hell out of them and had them tied up against the cage, which prompted Cactus to come out the following week and cut that great promo on the fans where he got mad at them for chanting for Austin while they were getting beat up in the cage by DX, told them they would never see Cactus again, setting up his heel turn, which he officially would do the next week when he came out as Dude Love during the Austin-McMahon main event where Austin had one arm tied behind his back and he gave the Mandible Claw to Austin. Taker was still feuding with Kane and they needed another credible star to be Austin's first challenger for the belt and the only option at time was Foley. The LOD/NAO feud had to happen before the NAO's feud with Cactus/Chainsaw. Besides the NAO had a great Dumpster match with Cactus/Chainsaw at Wrestlemania 14, I doubt LOD and NAO would've had a better match than that Dumpster Match at Wrestlemania 14. LOL, you do know Chainsaw Charlie was Terry Funk, right? The gimmick doesn't matter, it's still Terry F'N Funk.

People wanted to see LOD face Demolition, which would've basically been four guys beating the hell out of each other, so are you saying that would not have been a good match? Well, fuck me, why is that even a dream match then? There's nothing wrong with seeing four tough bastards slug it out, if you're not into that style, you're not into it, doesn't mean others aren't. And The Steiners had good battles with Doom, which were two teams beating the hell out of each other. But WWE wanted to elevate DOA, not Too Much who would've sold the heck out of an LOD beating, but DOA were a more credible tag team than they were at the time, so they chose DOA instead of them.

I was using it as an example that wrestling companies sometimes don't kayfabe explain their actions for an angle even though the reasons are easy to figure out and don't really need explaining like you wanted to know for Ellering turning on LOD. I don't remember ever hearing a reason for why Fuji turned on Demolition, so I assumed they never explained it but if they did then okay.

Bookers don't know beforehand whether someone they want to elevate is going to work out or not, they didn't know with DOA and they wanted to try. Same thing with Billy Gunn and Rikishi the following years. Wrestling companies have to try and create new stars and it doesn't always work out. That's just how it is in life, either it works out or it doesn't but they have to try and see.

Who is saying it was memorable? Not me. You asked me if they had a proper feud with each other as if it makes any difference because the Canadian Stampede main event is memorable whether LOD had a proper feud with them or not and that's all that counts, I told you they did and you're getting your panties in a twist over nothing, lol. Who cares if the two PPV matches they had before Canadian Stampede weren't memorable? The point is they did have a proper feud, which you asked if they did, so you should be feeling satisfied. The LOD started feuding with The Godwinns after the Canadian Stampede main event, LOD feuded with Bulldog and Owen before it.

I said I didn't recall any matches they had and I stand by that. Like I said, I don't recall them "feuding" but if they did. Oh well.

I'm talking about after all those several matches NAO and LOD had with each other. By Unforgiven, which was the final time they faced off, NAO went on to be massively popular faces not long after, so there's no way they should've prolonged the NAO/LOD feud just because you think it would've been the best idea in your fantasy world when in reality the DX vs. The Nation feud was a much better idea.

I never said anything about "prolonged." I said get their revenge at 14. That sets up the cage match on RAW and go from there. If Unforgiven was the last time. So be it.

So LOD/NAO would've been a money feud after just one in-ring segment where they shaved Hawk's hair and put them through the announce table? LOL. What NAO did to Cactus an

Well you just mentioned the LOD and NAO had multiple PPV matches so obviously it was a "money" feud.

Are you telling me people wanted to continue seeing LOD vs. NAO after those several matches?

So you're telling me (and picture this) The NAO has run roughshod on the tag team division for four months. Humiliating legends. They have the Dumpster match not taking anything away from that but while the NAO are beating down Funk and Cactus....."Ooooooohhhh what a rush!!" LOD in their new gimmicks hit the ring and pound out the Outlaws! That would not get over?! Get the F out of here. You obviously don't know LOD. So LOD gets their revenge and have the cage match with Funk and Cactus the next night. I'm not trying to rewrite history here all I'm saying is that could've used the LOD better than they did.

Besides the NAO had a great Dumpster match with Cactus/Chainsaw at Wrestlemania 14, I doubt LOD and NAO would've had a better match than that Dumpster Match at Wrestlemania 14. LOL, you do know Chainsaw Charlie was Terry Funk, right? The gimmick doesn't matter, it's still Terry F'N Funk.

Again, not taking away the Dumpster match or the Cactus/Funk feud. And yes of course I know it's Terry Funk LOL. Wait, you just said the LOD was "past their prime"? What was Terry Funk?!? It just goes to show you "past their prime" don't mean shit when you're over kid.

"Ooooooohhhh what a rush!!"

I suggest you go to YouTube to get an idea of just how impact full an LOD entrance was. It could blow the roof off especially if they've been off TV for a while.

Well you just mentioned the LOD and NAO had multiple PPV matches so obviously it was a "money" feud.

So you're telling me (and picture this) The NAO has run roughshod on the tag team division for four months. Humiliating legends. They have the Dumpster match not taking anything away from that but while the NAO are beating down Funk and Cactus....."Ooooooohhhh what a rush!!" LOD in their new gimmicks hit the ring and pound out the Outlaws! That would not get over?! Get the F out of here. You obviously don't know LOD. So LOD gets their revenge and have the cage match with Funk and Cactus the next night. I'm not trying to rewrite history here all I'm saying is that could've used the LOD better than they did.

Again, not taking away the Dumpster match or the Cactus/Funk feud. And yes of course I know it's Terry Funk LOL. Wait, you just said the LOD was "past their prime"? What was Terry Funk?!? It just goes to show you "past their prime" don't mean shit when you're over kid.

Yeah, just like Alberto Del Rio vs. Sheamus for the WHC was a "money feud" in 2012...because they had multiple PPV matches.

Your idea makes no sense. Cactus and Funk were booked to beat The Outlaws at Wrestlemania, so they could have the Steel Cage rematch the next night on Raw and drop the titles back to The Outlaws and set up The Outlaws joining DX and the Austin-Dude Love feud. You're rewriting history just so LOD could have that revenge moment and yes it would be a good moment for them and it would get over, I never said it wouldn't, but Cactus and Funk were booked to win, they needed to win the Dumpster Match to set up what would happen the next night, and it was their moment of celebration that night, LOD have nothing to do with anything and shouldn't have anything to do with their match and the outcome of their match. LOD made their return with their new look and new manager, won the Tag Team Battle Royal to earn the right to face The New Age Outlaws or Cactus and Chainsaw at Unforgiven, and that was good enough and all that was needed. They didn't need any revenge moment and getting them involved in the outcome of the Dumpster Match ruins the plans for the next night and the direction the WWF was headed in. The night after Wrestlemania 14 was very important and the most important post-Wrestlemania Raw of all time as it's what kicked the Attitude Era into full gear with the new Nation with Rock taking over as leader, the new DX with Triple H taking over as leader and adding the returning X-Pac and The New Age Outlaws to the group, and Austin vs. McMahon officially kicking off with the new WWF Title introduced and setting up Foley to be Austin's first opponent on PPV for the belt with the Steel Cage match. Those plans were much bigger than LOD getting some revenge moment at Wrestlemania 14 just to only satisfy you. Things needed to pan out the way they panned out. Get that little revenge moment out of your mind and wake back up in reality.

Not sure what point you are trying to make cause Terry Funk was there to put over the New Age Outlaws just like The Legion Of Doom, which they both did. They were all past their primes but they were still over. Who's saying they weren't? Being past their primes doesn't mean everybody hates them now and thinks they are total shit. It just means they aren't at their peak anymore but they can still be useful like putting younger talent over due to how credible their names are which Funk and LOD did with The Outlaws. And Funk helped ECW out tremendously. Undertaker was past his prime these past few years but was still over and useful in selling Wrestlemania with his once a year matches.

I'm not sure why you're trying to sell me on the LOD with all these videos as if I've never watched them before and don't know how over and important to wrestling they are. Yeah, I know they got huge pops when they came out. Never once did I say they weren't over and you're totally misreading what I'm saying. What I said was nobody wanted to see The Outlaws-Legion Of Doom continue to feud after having those several matches with each other just so The LOD could get a win and get revenge over The NAO, which is what I assumed you were saying. Not that The Legion Of Doom were never over. The WWF did all they could with their feud, LOD didn't need to get revenge on them and did a great job at putting The NAO over. That's all that was needed from them and they accomplished it. They were used just fine during that feud cause it was all about getting the younger guys over. If you can't get that through your head, I don't know what to tell ya.

1) I'm not sure why you're trying to sell me on the LOD with all these videos as if I've never watched them before and don't know how over and important to wrestling they are. Yeah, I know they got huge pops when they came out.

2) Never once did I say they weren't over and you're totally misreading what I'm saying.

3) What I said was...

1) For some reason, this guy has turned this post into a defense of the Road Warriors. A defense, mind you, that is unnecessary, as no one has denied their historical impact. I think Hawk may have been his uncle or something. Maybe he met them at an autograph signing and feels they are his to protect.

2) I won't ask you to go back and read all of his nonsense on this post, but he has been putting words in people's mouths the whole time. Misreading is also quite consistent. It's either dyslexia or laziness. Don't get frustrated.

3) Don't. I made this mistake too. Don't repeat yourself just because he can't read. We literate people saw what you said. He did not, due to either a comprehension problem or pure ignorance. The former I would empathize with, but the way he continually capitalizes and overuses question marks with exclamation points, it seems more like a frustrated, defeated person who needs to curse and use insults as a way to get his point across, since the intelligent, written word is not in his arsenal.

I also don't see his point for accusing you of looking up these facts. Are we taking a test? He seems to be very proud of his knowledge of old school wrestling facts. I would be very proud of that too if I was devoid of context, logic, reasoning or any kind of clue. Take note of his responding to himself when other people are sleeping or actually enjoying life outside of a wrestling forum. He doesn't know what to do with himself, so he just keeps writing nonsense until he feels better. (He also must have the last word or he feels like the loser. A role he is most likely very familiar with. He was, after all, the inspiration for the Makaveli31 Leaves Town match)

As for the topic, I agree that being on PPV does not necessarily mean it is a money feud. Many people bought the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight to see that fight. There were other fights on the undercard and, to use his "logic", those fights drew money because people technically paid to see them. No.

You make other good points about NAO and DOA. Don't let this guy dissuade you.

(If you want a laugh, go back a couple of pages. No, not where he wrote "believe ability". A little further. This guy brought up Razor Ramon to argue a point I didn't make. Of course, he didn't pick up on his error and compounded it by bringing him up again. I asked why he kept doing so and he flipped out with capital letters and question mark/exclamation point combos saying that I was the one who brought Razor up and I was an idiot for not seeing that. It was the moment I realized what I was dealing with with Looney Tunes over here.)

Yeah, just like Alberto Del Rio vs. Sheamus for the WHC was a "money feud" in 2012...because they had multiple PPV matches.

Are you saying NAO-LOD did not draw money? If it didn't draw they would not have had multiple matches.

LOD could have that revenge moment and yes it would be a good moment for them and it would get over, I never said it wouldn't, but Cactus and Funk were booked to win, they needed to win the Dumpster Match to set up what would happen the next night, and it was their moment of celebration that night, LOD have nothing to do with anything and shouldn't have anything to do with their match and the outcome of their match.

That's all I'm saying. It would be good for the LOD to get their revenge and it would've been an awesome WrestleMania moment for team that deserved it. That's what this thread is about. The LOD not getting any production in the '90's despite being over. I'm just pointing out ways they could've been used better.

They didn't need any revenge moment and getting them involved in the outcome of the Dumpster Match ruins the plans for the next night and the direction the WWF was headed in

Ummmm how does that "ruin" the plan when according to your own research the LOD and NAO had a match after WM 14 at Unforgiven? So obviously they had some unresolved issues. This would've only added to it. And why not get LOD involved? Is there some rule that only two teams should feud at one time? The WWF was at it's best then multiple teams and wrestlers were feuding with each other.

The night after Wrestlemania 14 was very important and the most important post-Wrestlemania Raw of all time as it's what kicked the Attitude Era into full gear with the new Nation with Rock taking over as leader, the new DX with Triple H taking over as leader and adding the returning X-Pac and The New Age Outlaws to the group, and Austin vs. McMahon officially kicking off with the new WWF Title introduced and setting up Foley to be Austin's first opponent on PPV for the belt with the Steel Cage match. Those plans were much bigger than LOD getting some revenge moment at Wrestlemania 14 just to only satisfy you. Things needed to pan out the way they panned out. Get that little revenge moment out of your mind and wake back up in reality.

Those things all still could have happened. I don't see what your point is. LOD doing a run in does not alter reality. This could still go as planned. This is not some earth-shattering event as you are making it out be.

What I said was nobody wanted to see The Outlaws-Legion Of Doom continue to feud after having those several matches with each other just so The LOD could get a win and get revenge over The NAO, which is what I assumed you were saying.

Well that's purely opinion. The FACT is we don't know because we never saw it. You are misreading what I'm saying. Again, for the LAST time I'm not talking about a long,, drawn out feud. A simple run in at WM 14 after the Cactus-Funk match (Funk and Cactus would've still gone over setting up the cage match for RAW) would've done wonders for them for their run in the late '90s. It would've been great to see LOD return at 14, win the battle royal then do the run in. I don't see how that changes anything.

he WWF did all they could with their feud, LOD didn't need to get revenge on them and did a great job at putting The NAO over. That's all that was needed from them and they accomplished it. They were used just fine during that feud cause it was all about getting the younger guys over. If you can't get that through your head, I don't know what to tell ya.

When did I say the "younger guys" would not go over? How does one run-in alter the direction a company was moving in. Again, everything could've stayed the same it just would've given a team that deserved it that WM moment. I'm trying to see where reality is altered? Triple H takes over DX no problem there, X-Pac returns (again no problem) The Outlaws and Cactus and Funk have their cage match (again no problem) so where does LOD getting their revenge alter this timeline when in fact they continued to feud by your own admission after LOD won the battle royal.

For some reason, this guy has turned this post into a defense of the Road Warriors. A defense, mind you, that is unnecessary, as no one has denied their historical impact. I think Hawk may have been his uncle or something. Maybe he met them at an autograph signing and feels they are his to protect.

Well the post was about the Road Warriors you fucking moron. I guess you are the one who can't read.

Take note of his responding to himself when other people are sleeping or actually enjoying life outside of a wrestling forum. He doesn't know what to do with himself, so he just keeps writing nonsense until he feels better. (He also must have the last word or he feels like the loser. A role he is most likely very familiar with. He was, after all, the inspiration for the Makaveli31 Leaves Town match)

Sorry I had to beat you down so badly you had to resort to personal attacks but I guess that just shows 1) lack of immaturity 2) lack of debating skills. I will take that as a compliment and acknowledgment of defeat.

Many people bought the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight to see that fight. There were other fights on the undercard and, to use his "logic", those fights drew money because people technically paid to see them. No.

Wow you are a complete imbecile. So if an "undercard" fight on a PPV (say May-Pac) is then given a REMATCH on a SECOND PPV (after May-Pac) that fight was not money? The NAO-LOD had multiple PPV matches not just one idiot. I guess Vince wanted to keep losing money, huh? Moron.

This guy brought up Razor Ramon to argue a point I didn't make. Of course, he didn't pick up on his error and compounded it by bringing him up again. I asked why he kept doing so and he flipped out with capital letters and question mark/exclamation point combos saying that I was the one who brought Razor up and I was an idiot for not seeing that. It was the moment I realized what I was dealing with with Looney Tunes over here.)

That was the only point you "won". That I mentioned Razor Ramon so is that why you keep bringing it up? LOL I was bringing up Razor to make a point that Piper (who you said in your OWN words was "always not main event") was a late substitute for that match so to even cite that as example was weak and incorrect. You simply cannot understand facts. Go home.

So if an "undercard" fight on a PPV (say May-Pac) is then given a REMATCH on a SECOND PPV (after May-Pac) that fight was not money? The NAO-LOD had multiple PPV matches not just one idiot. I guess Vince wanted to keep losing money, huh? Moron.

Oh now I understand. PPV Rematches = money

Now that you mention it, I should apologize. I feel foolish, but I have to admit that I forgot about all of the money Don Muraco and Dino Bravo drew in 1988. For those who were not around, Muraco and Bravo met in the first round of the tournament at Mania IV. Then, at the next PPV--SummerSlam '88--they had a rematch because Vince didn't want to keep losing money.

Don Muraco and Dino Bravo drew in 1988. For those who were not around, Muraco and Bravo met in the first round of the tournament at Mania IV. Then, at the next PPV--SummerSlam '88--they had a rematch because Vince didn't want to keep losing money.

LOL, are you honestly, honestly comparing a first round match and curtain jerker to Tag Team Title matches and semi-main event? C'mon man I expected better.

1) For some reason, this guy has turned this post into a defense of the Road Warriors. A defense, mind you, that is unnecessary, as no one has denied their historical impact. I think Hawk may have been his uncle or something. Maybe he met them at an autograph signing and feels they are his to protect.

2) I won't ask you to go back and read all of his nonsense on this post, but he has been putting words in people's mouths the whole time. Misreading is also quite consistent. It's either dyslexia or laziness. Don't get frustrated.

3) Don't. I made this mistake too. Don't repeat yourself just because he can't read. We literate people saw what you said. He did not, due to either a comprehension problem or pure ignorance. The former I would empathize with, but the way he continually capitalizes and overuses question marks with exclamation points, it seems more like a frustrated, defeated person who needs to curse and use insults as a way to get his point across, since the intelligent, written word is not in his arsenal.

I also don't see his point for accusing you of looking up these facts. Are we taking a test? He seems to be very proud of his knowledge of old school wrestling facts. I would be very proud of that too if I was devoid of context, logic, reasoning or any kind of clue. Take note of his responding to himself when other people are sleeping or actually enjoying life outside of a wrestling forum. He doesn't know what to do with himself, so he just keeps writing nonsense until he feels better. (He also must have the last word or he feels like the loser. A role he is most likely very familiar with. He was, after all, the inspiration for the Makaveli31 Leaves Town match)

As for the topic, I agree that being on PPV does not necessarily mean it is a money feud. Many people bought the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight to see that fight. There were other fights on the undercard and, to use his "logic", those fights drew money because people technically paid to see them. No.

You make other good points about NAO and DOA. Don't let this guy dissuade you.

(If you want a laugh, go back a couple of pages. No, not where he wrote "believe ability". A little further. This guy brought up Razor Ramon to argue a point I didn't make. Of course, he didn't pick up on his error and compounded it by bringing him up again. I asked why he kept doing so and he flipped out with capital letters and question mark/exclamation point combos saying that I was the one who brought Razor up and I was an idiot for not seeing that. It was the moment I realized what I was dealing with with Looney Tunes over here.)

Yeah, this dude is a lost cause. You'd have a better chance at getting through a brick wall than with this guy. Just not gonna bother with him anymore and I'll go back and have a laugh at his previous posts in this thread instead.

Yeah, this dude is a lost cause. You'd have a better chance at getting through a brick wall than with this guy. Just not gonna bother with him anymore and I'll go back and have a laugh at his previous posts in this thread instead.

LOL keep doing your research buddy and copying off Wikipedia. Maybe one day you'll learn something about pro wrestling. Sorry you missed out on 90's wrestling. Good luck.

Sorry you're having such trouble engaging in debate. It's called refuting points. It is a skill and not everyone has it. Sorry you don't and you choose to give up rather than engage.

Back on thread....

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Has there ever been a man who got so consistently big pops yet delivered so little in the ring? He was awful yet super over throughout his career

Back on thread....

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Has there ever been a man who got so consistently big pops yet delivered so little in the ring? He was awful yet super over throughout his career

Agreed. I had mentioned him when the other guy mentioned the Bushwhackers. Duggan was hugely over. He had a 2x4, a USA chant, a HO call, some punches and clotheslines...and it was awesome. I think people today need every superstar to have a push or see where there character is going. Back then, you had feuds you were interested in and matches you wanted to see; but, you also had Duggans and Bushwhackers on the card who were there to entertain. They didn't have belts, they didn't have lots of title shots, they didn't need it. They served their purpose and did it extremely well. They had their own look, their own style and a gimmick that got the crowd involved. No one ever bought a PPV to see a feud of theirs, but many people bought PPVs for the whole experience, of which Duggan, Bushwhackers, Koko, etc. were a big part of.

[YOUTUBE]lo8iOOU_5Io[/YOUTUBE]

To me the wrestler who encapsulates this question the most is Sid Eudy.

No one came into the 1990's with more promise, more potential, more opportunity.....and delivered less than Sid. A lot of it had to do with Sid himself (his infamous temper) and his penchant to miss shows to play softball but Sid is also a classic case of missed opportunity for McMahon and WCW.

- He debuted as a member of the Skyscrapers but soon was placed alongside Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, and Barry Windham as the "muscle' of the Four Horsemen. He feuded with Sting and for many, including myself, this was viewed as "the" feud of 1990's possibly to overtake the WWF. They had one match where Windham infamously dressed up as Sid. Dusty Rhodes, who had just took over booking operations at WCW wanted to make Sid the highest paid wrestler in the company and give him a long run with the World Heavyweight Title but Sid decides to go north to Vince.

- In the WWF, he makes the debut of all debuts alongside Warrior and Hogan at Summer Slam '91 and when the show goes off air the focus is entirely on Sid. It's no secret that his the "next big thing" in the WWF or so we thought. He is placed into a feud with the Undertaker and Jake Roberts but Sid "hurts" his bicep and is off Survivor Series 1991 stopping his meteoric rise . Sid asks for his release but Vince, trying to salvage anything out of Sid decides to turn him heel at the '92 Royal Rumble. In one of more famous moments in Rumble history fans actually CHEER Sid and BOO Hogan at the end of PPV. The WWF edits this out. Sid is given the main event at WM 8 and a subsequent feud with a returning Warrior only to fail a drug test and walks out on the company.

- He returns to WCW in 1993 and again his given the top heel spot alongside Vader vs Sting and Bulldog and headlines 2 PPV's. The plan is to turn Sid babyface and defeat Vader for the title at Starrcade 1993 but the infamous scissors fight happens with Arn Anderson and Sid is fired.

Sid is now considered toxic to both top promotions but no one can deny he can draw money so Vince brings him back in 1995. He returns as Shawn's bodyguard in a "heel" role but just like 1992 the crowd pops when he powerbombs HBK.

[YOUTUBE]Bi5geLcu9hY[/YOUTUBE]

Sid starts a feud with Diesel. How Sid did not get a run with the title here is beyond me but I guess Vince wanted to make a point. I think he would've been a better champion at this point than Diesel. Sid leaves and returns in 1996. Again, he is as over as ever....so much so than HBK actually works heel in his match with Sid at Survivor Series after the crowd at MSG cheers Sid. He is given two brief runs with the WWF title each lasting only a month. I would've loved to have seen Sid given a decent run with the strap. The guy was incredibly over despite disappearing for long stretches and jumping from promotion to promotion.

He was really the first tweener. Fans loved the intense look and promos. All he had to do was look into the camera to portray intimidation. If he would've just played ball and stayed with the one promotion there is no doubt he would've had at least one successful run with the title and maybe multiple runs. He had changed by ways by 1997. He was older and willing to do business. Vince should have stuck with him as champion. The reality is his career will always be defined by 'what if's".

To me the wrestler who encapsulates this question the most is Sid Eudy.

No one came into the 1990's with more promise, more potential, more opportunity.....and delivered less than Sid. A lot of it had to do with Sid himself (his infamous temper) and his penchant to miss shows to play softball but Sid is also a classic case of missed opportunity for McMahon and WCW.

- He debuted as a member of the Skyscrapers but soon was placed alongside Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, and Barry Windham as the "muscle' of the Four Horsemen. He feuded with Sting and for many, including myself, this was viewed as "the" feud of 1990's possibly to overtake the WWF. They had one match where Windham infamously dressed up as Sid. Dusty Rhodes, who had just took over booking operations at WCW wanted to make Sid the highest paid wrestler in the company and give him a long run with the World Heavyweight Title but Sid decides to go north to Vince.

- In the WWF, he makes the debut of all debuts alongside Warrior and Hogan at Summer Slam '91 and when the show goes off air the focus is entirely on Sid. It's no secret that his the "next big thing" in the WWF or so we thought. He is placed into a feud with the Undertaker and Jake Roberts but Sid "hurts" his bicep and is off Survivor Series 1991 stopping his meteoric rise . Sid asks for his release but Vince, trying to salvage anything out of Sid decides to turn him heel at the '92 Royal Rumble. In one of more famous moments in Rumble history fans actually CHEER Sid and BOO Hogan at the end of PPV. The WWF edits this out. Sid is given the main event at WM 8 and a subsequent feud with a returning Warrior only to fail a drug test and walks out on the company.

- He returns to WCW in 1993 and again his given the top heel spot alongside Vader vs Sting and Bulldog and headlines 2 PPV's. The plan is to turn Sid babyface and defeat Vader for the title at Starrcade 1993 but the infamous scissors fight happens with Arn Anderson and Sid is fired.

Sid is now considered toxic to both top promotions but no one can deny he can draw money so Vince brings him back in 1995. He returns as Shawn's bodyguard in a "heel" role but just like 1992 the crowd pops when he powerbombs HBK.

Sid starts a feud with Diesel. How Sid did not get a run with the title here is beyond me but I guess Vince wanted to make a point. I think he would've been a better champion at this point than Diesel. Sid leaves and returns in 1996. Again, he is as over as ever....so much so than HBK actually works heel in his match with Sid at Survivor Series after the crowd at MSG cheers Sid. He is given two brief runs with the WWF title each lasting only a month. I would've loved to have seen Sid given a decent run with the strap. The guy was incredibly over despite disappearing for long stretches and jumping from promotion to promotion.

He was really the first tweener. Fans loved the intense look and promos. All he had to do was look into the camera to portray intimidation. If he would've just played ball and stayed with the one promotion there is no doubt he would've had at least one successful run with the title and maybe multiple runs. He had changed by ways by 1997. He was older and willing to do business. Vince should have stuck with him as champion. The reality is his career will always be defined by 'what if's".

Sid's pops encapsulate this question the most? This entire post was a history lesson on Sid, for some reason, and belongs more in a "what could have been" post. This thread, as you have so obnoxiously (and needlessly) pointed out to others is about huge pops that lasted after the superstars were great. Sid's crowd reaction was fine and many fans saw his potential and wished his runs were done better, but he has no business being anywhere near the other people mentioned in this post. In fact, out of all your diarrhea of the keyboard, the RR 92 pop was the only point that applied here. Yes, he powerbombed HBK and got a pop...so now we're picking out specific pops. If anyone else wrote this, you would have torn them apart.

I remember Virgil got a huge pop when he hit DiBiase with the Million Dollar Belt. I guess he belongs on the list too. Oh no wait...he doesn't because I don't have 3 paragraphs of off-topic missed opportunities to add to it. You are out to lunch, man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back