90's Legion of Doom/Road Warriors- so much pop, so little production

Discussion in 'The Wrestling Archives' started by LBGetBack, Jun 1, 2017.

1. LBGetBack

LBGetBack Championship Contender

Has there ever been an act that was so over with the fans, while producing so little? Now realize when I say "producing so little" I'm referring to the quality of their runs in the 1990's ONLY.

Obviously they earned their place in the 80's and are one of the greatest teams of all time. It's amazing how they stayed so over for so long after that. Their initial WWF run from 1990-92 was decent. They were booked as the top tag team, the fans went crazy for them, they had a title run. It probably didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations though. It was decent. Then it fizzled hard in '92.

After Animals injury problems resolved, they popped up in WCW in 96. Then they had their next WWF run in '97-98. The matches weren't that good, the feuds were underwhelming. Hawk in particularly really didn't even look like the physically imposing specimen that he used to.

But they stayed INCREDIBLY over. Fans consistently popped hard for them. I can't think of another act who stayed so over for so long after they were last great.

2. Mr.Maikeru_Sawyer

Mr.Maikeru_Sawyer Pre-Show Stalwart

Hulk Hogan. he stayed relevant for 30 years 20 more than he probably should have.
    as for the Road Warriors, a lot had to do with nestalgia, the right look, and the perfect booking. I think they could have stayed longer but Hawk's demons started to catch up with him

3. Jeff Deliverer of Mail

Jeff Deliverer of Mail Money for nothin, chicks for free
    E-Fed Mod

Just the "Yeaaaaaarh WHAT a Ruuuuush!" Followed by deep electric guitars and two bad ass looking wrestlers with spiked shoulder pads march down to the ring....of course they always got a good pop..best bad ass entrance for any tag team ever.

4. GhettoV1

GhettoV1 Pre-Show Stalwart

I think after 1991 that's when they just worked with the Beverly Brothers that they slipped down.

5. HeenanGorilla

HeenanGorilla Championship Contender

Rowdy Roddy Piper was always over and certainly falls into this category.

6. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

Some have been mentioned, but one that leaps to mind for me is Ric Flair. People sometimes debate on when Flair stopped being just flat out great but the first time I felt that Flair should really hang it up was during the days of Evolution. It'd started years before that really, he was in pretty lousy shape the last days of WCW and he started to truly go downhill. There were times I felt almost embarrassed to be watching him because he was so past it that it just felt wrong to have this 54 year old man beating up 25 to 30 year olds.

Regardless of all that, Flair was still insanely over.

7. Goldie

Goldie Getting Noticed By Management

I'd disagree with the Hulk Hogan reference.... though his matches were the weakest part of his repertoire... the NWO added years to his career as a top liner.... I'd say by 1999 his star power was waning.... but look what happened in 2002-03 when he made his WWE return. He out-popped the Rock at WM18.
    And after 2003 till his retirement.... he only wrestled sporadically.

The LOD is interesting though.... by the time they debited in the WWE, they were a bit of a slower and more ponderous team. Their pops.... particularly 1990-92 were still huge!!
    Definitely by the time of their late WWE run 1997-98, Hawks physique wasn't the ripped specimen of yesteryear.... and their aura of invincibility was gone too.
    I remember at survivor series 97... in the survivor tag match vs the Nation of Domination... the once indestructible Hawk was eliminated very early in the match!
    And then think of the LOD from the 80s where they never did clean jobs, and were the only team allowed to no-sell opponnets finisher moves (ie Hawk standing right up after Jerry lawlers piledriver... a sure finisher in the 80s).

The storyline of Hawk being drunk during his matches was cringeworthy.... you couldn't imagine that happening in their prime!

8. relentless1

relentless1 G.O.A.T.

Lets not forget to put Flair in that same category as well

Bernkastel likes this.
  9. THTRobtaylor

THTRobtaylor Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist

Unpopular view but in the ring for certainly the latter part of his career... Dusty Rhodes.

His thing worked in the late 70's early 80's but by the time he headed to the WWF it was beyond stale... that he was basically phoning it in by that point or relying on old feuds and self booking with Flair in the last part of his NWA run can't be masked by the highlights of his promos etc... Vince often gets blamed but to took 2 to fuck that run up. Superfly Snuka also fits the same category.

Of the current crop, Orton is definitely a contender... He hasn't actually produced anything "great" in many years... only his Wyatt time seemed really interesting... before that you're going all the way back to Barrett throwing him down the stairs etc... and Randy's "demons" screwed that one up too.

Orton is someone I see as a "cornerstone of WWE" in their eyes (and many fans) but he doesn't actually contribute anything... He's in the same spot that Bret Hart was by 1997... Randy could be fired/quit/screwed tomorrow and the WWE wouldn't lose anything from it at all... that's pretty damning for a guy who has spend over 10 years as a "main guy".

The problem with the Road Warriors was they were green as hell... so they couldn't "produce" much when they started, got over and never needed to produce more... Ultimate Warrior and Sting were similar but Sting HAD to get better over time for it to work, Warrior coasted once he'd worked with Rude.

The Perfect Max likes this.
  10. legendkiller1979

legendkiller1979 Pre-Show Stalwart

Looking back, I hate that the LOD ended up in the WWF. I was definitely a fan. This was my first exposure to LOD. What this means is that Demolition came first for me. I will always be a much bigger fan of Demolition. The arrival of LOD marked the end for Demolition. I know people are going to say that Bill Eide was on his way out. But he has said that Vince overreacted to his condition and he could have kept wrestling. Once they dropped the tag team titles to the Hart Foundation, they were pushed to the mid card. I was a huge fan of Demolition so I hated this.

The same can be said for the Powers of Pain. They were broken up 6 months before the arrival of LOD and given ridiculous gimmicks. I read later that they were broken up because they were too much like the LOD.

Was LOD great? OF course they were. I have a great appreciation for what they have meant to professional wrestling. But in the WWF, for me personally, they did more harm than good.

11. Makaveli31

Makaveli31 Championship Contender

Well the question was "Has ANY team or wrestler remained as OVER as the Warriors DESPITE so little being done with them?". Hogan, Flair , and Piper were ALWAYS main event, top billing. They had the best booking, the best angles, the best people to work with so of course they STAYED over....not true with the Road Warriors of the 1990's. Can anyone name a MEMORABLE angle with the Warriors during the '90s?!? I can't. The only angle that stuck out was getting destroyed by the NAO and Hawk falling off the Titan Tron.

When they debuted in the WWF in 1990 they were the "Ric Flair" of tag team wrestling. We were supposed to get the "dream match" of the Road Warriors vs Demolition, Warriors vs. Hart Foundation, Warriors vs. Rockers etc....we got one match of each with no feud and no blow off with Demolition.....

BUT they were OVER unlike Dusty Rhodes (in the WWF). Just look at the SummerSlam '91 pop when they won the titles, Survivor Series 1991, or the SummerSlam'92 pop at Wembley. They were BY FAR the loudest despite absolutely NO PUSH. They had lukewarm feuds with Money Inc and the Natural Disasters. Animal mentioned this in a shoot interview. He wanted Hogan to receive a beatdown at the hands of some heels when the Warriors' theme "Oooooooooh What a Ruuuuuuush" would hit the speakers and they would come down to save Hogan. It would have been HUGE but Vince nixed the idea.

Hell even when they came back in 1997 and 2003 they were STILL the most OVER tag team in the company and they weren't even ACTIVE. They were on a hiatus and returned as if it was still 1986 and they were on top of the world. I don't think anyone would get that type of reaction like I said despite the big pushes they didn't receive.

12. Makaveli31

Neither Dusty nor Snuka were as over as the Road Warriors during their run in the WWF.

They were not "green" by 1990 they had worked in the AWA, NWA, WCW and Japan by that time. The problem was bad booking. They produced great matches.

13. HeenanGorilla

Your keyboard seems to be malfunctioning. Your caps lock looks to have been inexplicably activated throughout your post.

I'll let the other guys rebut their examples. But, Piper was not ALWAYS a main eventer. Bad News Brown at VI, Goldust at XII, a short, arguably relevant IC reign...the guy was hardly ALWAYS top billing. It may have seemed that way because--as the post topic points to--he was incredibly over at all times. Whether he was in the ring, announcing, helping Virgil, guest ref, Piper's Pit...whenever those bagpipes hit, the guy got a huge pop. He is seen as one of the greatest heels ever, but that was for when he was the top guy back in the mid 80s. His returns and face runs were in no way big pushes. The steam from his original mega heel run and his following face turn carried him through his entire career. To say that he was ALWAYS a main event guy is...I'll go easy here...simply incorrect.

14. Makaveli31

When they came back in '97 they still had that aura but Vince Russo killed them off by have the Outlaws destroy them on TV and they got no payback.

I thought it was cringe worthy also but surprisingly both Hawk and Animal were in favor of it because (as they said) it was the ONLY time the WWF did ANYTHING with them.

15. Makaveli31

Are you seriously comparing the Warriors' first run in the WWF to Piper's run with Bad News in 1990. Maybe you were not born yet but that DID NOT get over.

Again, you might not have been born yet so I'll excuse your examples but the only reason Piper had ONE MATCH with Goldust was because Scott Hall was suspended and he was not as over as the Road Warriors.

I just pointed to two examples where he was not "incredibly" over. If he was so "over" as you say why did Vince let him walk to WCW in 1996? Please. Try again junior.

16. Makaveli31

Piper was a part timer by the 1990's. He never stuck around long enough to get any sort of "push." The Road Warriors had a SOLID run from 1990-1992 and got massive pops despite no push that is what we are talking about here.

17. HeenanGorilla

That is what YOU are talking about here. The OP asked for people who got pops far after they did anything big. You turned this into a Road Warriors vs. the world post. I noticed it when you said Snuka and Dusty were not as over as the Road Warriors...something that person didn't say either.

Ok, we get it, the Road Warriors were great and over all the time. Is one of them your dad or something? I think the rest of us would like to get back to the original topic, which was not comparing the Road Warriors to everyone else.

18. Makaveli31

This was the original question. Learn to read son. The answer is NO. Rhodes and Snuka were not over with the fans. They did not receive the pops. They were mid-carders. They were gone in less than a year and Piper was a PART TIMER so of course he did little to nothing. Comparing Piper's short part time run to the Road Warriors first run is asinine when discussing what was done and what was produced. We're talking feuds, angles, runs etc....you're talking about one match he had with Bad News and one match he had with Goldust. Stupid.

19. HeenanGorilla

I just saw this. All this does is prove how clueless you are. I have been watching since the mid-80s, but thanks for letting me know how this all actually went down. That is also when I learned to read, which gives me a clear leg up here.

How can you read what I wrote and think I was comparing Piper's Bad News and Goldust matches to the Road Warriors?? Your responses are literally laughable, which is why I am enjoying this and not upset.

The point I made (which I'm sure is obvious to everyone else, so I'm sorry to waste time explaining it) is that despite Piper's lackluster angles with Bad News and Goldust and others NOT being main events--remember it was YOU (I'm using all caps for emphasis, right?) who said Piper was ALWAYS in the main event--he was still incredibly over. This is what the OP was speaking to.

Piper was huge in the mid-80s and remained red hot forever. The OP said "I can't think of another act who stayed so over for so long after they were last great." So, we, those not chairing the LOD defense team...defense for accusations that were never made, mind you...are coming up with other examples.

You're really so off base, man. If you are actually slow, I apologize. I shouldn't make fun. You just came off so contrary out of nowhere, when you have no grasp on the topic at hand.

The Perfect Max likes this.
  20. HeenanGorilla

HAHA! Ok, this shows me you are either a troll or a moron. I can't explain it any clearer. You are the only one on this thread who has completely missed the point. Feuds, angles, runs....what are you talking about?? Mid-carders... You are making our point for us! Oh man, this was a treat, but trying to talk sense into you is like trying to blow over a brick wall with my breath. You're like an attorney whose great evidence proves the case for the opposition. I appreciate the laugh. Have a good one.

(Looking forward to other people's interesting responses. They were coming in good until LOD fan boy showed up.)

21. Makaveli31

You are a complete moron.

You typed that not me idiot. SO answer that yourself. You brought up Bad News and Goldust. Is your Alzheimer's kicking in or are you just brain dead? You said Piper did not always get a big push and you cited Bad News Brown and Goldust as examples. He was a part timer at that point and the feud with Goldust was not even his. He was a fill-in

He was not "incredibly" over. The fan reaction to his feud with Bad News was lukewarm at best and confusing. It did not get over with fans and he left the WWF right after his match with Goldust. I am talking about staying power here.

How exactly did he remain red hot? He was not red hot during his feud with Bad News. He was not red hot during his feud with Goldust. Oooooh are you talking about Hogan?!?

I think you should go home to mommy and stay off the boards kid

22. Makaveli31

Proves my point right there. Does not even know what feuds and angles are. WhyI waste time with idiots like these is beyond me.

23. Makaveli31

You missed the question genius he asked who else got massive pops DESPITE not getting a push idiot. This just proves you are dumb and illiterate

24. HeenanGorilla

Oh!!

Then, I would have to say... Rowdy Roddy Piper. He got huge pops even when he was not getting large pushes. His matches with Bad News Brown and Goldust come to mind. He wasn't pushed or put into main events but still got huge pops.

25. Makaveli31

Push does not equal a match. He specifically asked for production. Onematch does not equal one run, and one match does not equal a feud. I am talking over a period of time. The Road Warriors production (or lack thereof) from 1990 until 1992 despite being massively over and coming with great hype. Piper was brought in as a fill-in for Razor at 12 that feud was hot already and a short run with Bad News at 6. Now you want to say his run from 90 until 1992 OK now we are talking BUT it goes back to my original point of Piper being given a run with the I-C title and a feud with the white hot Bret Hart to catapult him into that next tier. Bret helped Piper elevate. The Road Warriors never had that rival/opponent during their first run. It Power and Glory, Money Inc etc....