Status
Not open for further replies.

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
80's Region – The Simpsons vs Mr. Belvedere

the-simpsons.jpg

VS

belvedereonline.jpg

Terrible draw for Mr. Belvedere. Although I liked Mr. Belvedere, voting against the Simpsons is a vote against humanity. Plain and simple. I'll vote the Simpsons over a few shows, but not Mr. Belvedere. The Simpsons is the longest running 30-minute show on TV. It's lasted through FOUR presidents, and has probably satired each one. The show is a standard for Animated TV and is a favorite to win the whole thing. Now, it's my job to convince others that Cheers and Family Ties should go ahead of The Simpsons.

Vote: Simpsons.

I went with The Simpsons for pure historical value, even though I haven't watched a show in about 15 years, and don't think it's evolved in it's entire time on TV. It's an American icon though, and that means more than anything Mr. Belvedere ever did.

The Simpsons, from its incarnation until perhaps 2001-2002, was one of the funniest shows in television history. Even on repeat viewings, classic episodes never fail to make me laugh, as there have been so many great and funny moments. The show was innovative and clever, and quotable as well.

The Simpsons is going to go very far in this tournament.

The only funny thing I can even remember that's remotely related to Mr. Belvedere is the SNL sketch where Tom Hanks is the President of the Mr. Belvedere (BROCK-TOON) Fan Club, and all of the fan club members have a scary infatuation with Belvedere himself.

Edit: Here it is - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9yn49_mr-belvedere_shortfilms?from=rss

The Simpsons and it's not even close. It's so much more successful and more relevant to anything and everything compared to Mr. Delvedere. The real arguments and debate should be saved for future rounds and The Simpsons should breeze through.

VOTE THE SIMPSONS

Although I am not a huge fan of The Simpsons any more, it has to get my vote here.

Even though it has scarcely been funny over the last 3 or 4 years (or longer), I feel that I have to follow on from NSL and give it the vote on sheer historical value. I stopped watching The Simpsons on a weekly basis a long time ago and although I still catch up with the occasional episode, it just doesn't have the same magic or effect on me as it once did. There was one point in my life that I would come inside as a heart child to watch The Simpsons and I would never have dreamed of missing it. Now though, it has lost all of that momentum on me and I just think that the new offerings from Groening are as good as what the show used to be.

However, I haven't watched enough of Mr Belvedere to able to give it a reasonable chance against The Simpsons. It's a terrible draw for it but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I voted for Mr. Belvedere, mistakenly thinking we were discussing Vodkas.

No, seriously, I voted against the Simpsons, and I feel good about it. I actually liked the show Mr. Belvedere, but that's not why. I didn't vote FOR Belvedere, I voted AGAINST the Simpsons.

There are two major schools of thought here: Longevity vs Realism.

Longevity states that The Simpsons, having been around for 20 years now, has accomplished a great deal and may be the greatest sitcom of all time, despite being a cartoon. The problem here is that The Simpsons has the luxury of ignoring several of the challenges that normal sitcoms face. I will thus be voting against the Simpsons all tournament until they either lose or win the entire thing.

1. Characters don't age. Lisa and Bart have been in pretty much the exact same 4th or 5th grade classroom for 20 years. By all acounts, they should have graduated college by now, but yet they remain the same height, with the same bullies. They haven't had to deal with facing down major issues and have just sort of straggled along in their neat little "I never age" world.

2. Drawings can't have contract disputes. It's an insult to think that a show like The Simpsons is better than a show like Friends because Simpsons was around for 20 years as opposed to 10 for Friends. But illustrations cannot pursue film careers at the expense of their sitcom. Sure, the people who do the voices are very valuable and lend a great deal, but that role can be practically mailed in. Again, being animated, Simpsons has a terrific advantage of being able to avoid that MINOR detail...

3. Simpsons can suspend disbelief by going totally outlandish. Aliens and time travel and stuff like that. Simpsons can make entire episodes around that because, well, it's a cartoon and it makes sense there. Real person sitcoms have to sometmes obey certain rules. Simpsons can turn rules on and off as they please.

For these reasons, I voted against The Simpsons. I love the show, but I don't think it should win in a sitcoms tournament. Clearly I am in the minority.

Although The Simpsons has been rather lame over the past few years, i'm gonna vote for them due to their historic value in televisions across the world.

To be truthful, Mr. Belvedere doesn't even hold a candle to the classic Simpsons episodes that alot of us have watched over the years. I'll save the better arguments for The Simpsons in the later rounds, but The Simpsons win this match up in dominant fashion

It has to be the Simpsons here. The show was the first of its kind being it is an adult cartoon. It pretty much set the foundation for the shows of today, especially adult swim programming. But also revolutionized some of the dialogue in todays shows. My vote goes to the Simpsons.

The Simpsons are the most overrated show today going on television, aside from Family Guy, and as soon as I find a credible challenger to take out The Simpsons, I will. But sheerly for longevity, I'm going to have to give them this vote. In it's prime, it was a terrific show, biting and saracastic. It takes a huge chunk out of society, though it didn't do it any better than All in the Family did. But it still has history on it's side, and very good characters to boot.

I'll vote the Simpsons out of this round. Next round, we'll see how I feel.

This is going to be such a monumental victory for The Simpsons here it's not even funny. The Simpsons IMO have to be the favorites to win this entire tournament, and it easily gets my vote here over Mr. Belvedere, catchy theme or not. The Simpsons is simply one of the greatest television shows ever made. Easily gets my vote here.

I voted for Mr. Belvedere, mistakenly thinking we were discussing Vodkas.

No, seriously, I voted against the Simpsons, and I feel good about it. I actually liked the show Mr. Belvedere, but that's not why. I didn't vote FOR Belvedere, I voted AGAINST the Simpsons.

There are two major schools of thought here: Longevity vs Realism.

Longevity states that The Simpsons, having been around for 20 years now, has accomplished a great deal and may be the greatest sitcom of all time, despite being a cartoon. The problem here is that The Simpsons has the luxury of ignoring several of the challenges that normal sitcoms face. I will thus be voting against the Simpsons all tournament until they either lose or win the entire thing.

1. Characters don't age. Lisa and Bart have been in pretty much the exact same 4th or 5th grade classroom for 20 years. By all acounts, they should have graduated college by now, but yet they remain the same height, with the same bullies. They haven't had to deal with facing down major issues and have just sort of straggled along in their neat little "I never age" world.

This can also be seen as a negative though. Some people who grew up watching The Simpsons all the time could possibly look at the show now and think they are becoming stale and redundant because everyone stays the same. We know that alot of people don't regularly watch The Simpsons anymore and this could be a reason why. Although I see where you get your point from, I don't think it is one-sided.

2. Drawings can't have contract disputes. It's an insult to think that a show like The Simpsons is better than a show like Friends because Simpsons was around for 20 years as opposed to 10 for Friends. But illustrations cannot pursue film careers at the expense of their sitcom. Sure, the people who do the voices are very valuable and lend a great deal, but that role can be practically mailed in. Again, being animated, Simpsons has a terrific advantage of being able to avoid that MINOR detail...

The drawings may not be able to have contract disputes, but the voice actors sure can. In fact they did have a dispute with the voice actors wanting more money and Groening not wanting to give them more. There were talks that the show could end because a deal couldn't be reached. Voice actors on cartoon shows are very important and The Simpsons wouldn't be the same if they had to use different voices. So in fact this point doesn't really hold weight since it can and almost did happen.

3. Simpsons can suspend disbelief by going totally outlandish. Aliens and time travel and stuff like that. Simpsons can make entire episodes around that because, well, it's a cartoon and it makes sense there. Real person sitcoms have to sometmes obey certain rules. Simpsons can turn rules on and off as they please.

For these reasons, I voted against The Simpsons. I love the show, but I don't think it should win in a sitcoms tournament. Clearly I am in the minority.

Well that's the advantage of a cartoon show. Sitcoms featuring minority cast members can get away with stereotypical jokes or actions so do they have an unfair advantage over primarily white cast member sitcoms? The fact is some types of sitcoms have different advantages then others, but that doesn't put them on any different level from each other.

I know that The Simpsons is winning fairly big here so I don't see the need to get indepth on this post. I just posted to get myself out there and to defend the honour of The Simpsons.

The Simpsons may be pretty bad at the moment, but it's a classic show and is just awesome. There are dozens upon dozens or characters that everyone recognizes from Ned Flanders to Disco Stu. Sure it may not be "realistic", but if it's in the tourney, I'll likely be voting for it. Phenomenal show that constantly brings the laughs.

Simpson has been shot for near ten years now. I hardly watch an episode these days, but I do watch reruns of the older episodes and I do enjoy it. It has been on since I as a wee thing and I did enjoy it, it's worth as a sitcom gets it deep in the tourny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back