70's Region Final Four

Which 70's Region Final would you most want to see?

• Pink Floyd vs Queen

• Pink Floyd vs Aerosmith

• Lynard Skynard vs Queen

• Lynard Skynard vs Aerosmith

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
The 1970's Region should, in theory, have followed the same formula as the 80's region, but one southern rock mainstay decided to crash the party. What we have, however, is an intense collection of fantastic musicians and interesting final four matches in the 1970's region.

1970's Region Final Four Match #1
#1 Pink Floyd vs #12 Lynard Skynard

Pink Floyd, a pre-season favorite by many to win the entire thing, have steamrolled everyone in their way to get to the regional final four. While the rest of the world begs them to bury the hatchet and tour one last time, the band who authored such rock classics as "The Wall" and "Dark Side of the Moon" have a shot to stand tall as the greatest rock band in history.

lgpp0407the-dark-side-of-the-moon-pink-floyd-poster.jpg

I didn't expect Skynard to get passed Van Halen, who was truly Skynard's only major test thus far in the tourney. On the heels of hits like "Freebird" and "Sweet Home Alabama," a fake feud with Neil Young, and a tragic road along the way, Skynard remains socially relevant to this very day, especially with the southern lifestyle, and their upcoming tour with Kid Rock keeps them in the public eye.

0lynard-skynard-shirt-web.jpg

1970's Region Final Four Match #2
#2 Queen vs #3 Aerosmith

The sometimes enigmatic Queen, led by frontman Freddie Mercury and guitar legend Brian May, have been responsible for dabbling in every type of music possible. Some consider them the creators of their own genre - "opera rock," with Mercury's amazing vocals crooning stories as May's epic guitar work hooks you right in. Dozens of singles and hits keep this band's legend status in tact - they are among the highest selling bands of all time in the US, UK, Canada, and Austrailia - and are credited with some of Wembley Stadiums greatest concerts and biggest crowds.

Queen_A_Kind_Of_Magic.png

Many people look at Aerosmith as the pinnacle of what blues rock became - the next evolution of what The Rolling Stones started. Since the early 70's to this very day, these HOF'ers have successfully put out rock hits, ballads, experimental blues albums (i.e.: Honkin' on Bobo) and continue to sell out venues of HUGE crowds and knock 'em dead! Take it from my experience -I've seen them 7 times.

aerosmith-0001.jpg

Aerosmith for me have to be in the final of this. They're a favourite band of mine and for good reason. It's said many times about many different bands, but Aerosmith have revolutionised Rock history. Everyone has heard of them and many bands asire to be like them.

"I don't wanna miss a thing". This is a great song. I'm using this as an example as I've yet to come across someone who hasn't hard it. However, it isn't there best. And when I look at how many people love this song but fail to view more by the same band, it makes me wonder just how many more people would love Aerosmith.

As for their opponent, sorry but I hate Lynard Skynard, so it has to be Pink Floyd. Still not a huge fan, but realise they should be bigger than they were thought of. I think them being in the final of this would give them some recognition they deserve.

In a perfect final, it's be Aerosmith Vs Queen, because I really love Queen, however that wasn't an option. The 2 together are epic, and no 2 bands would ever come close to how big these 2 would be combined.

Id like to see Pink Floyd Vs Queen vs Aerosmith.

Each band helped the rock music industry in thier own seperate way, for example Pink Floyds rock, mixed with Freddie Mercurys genius at writing pop-rock songs and Aerosmiths marketability helped move rock into the 80s.

Overall, I think Queen will snatch this one

As much as I love Lynyrd Skynyrd, a love passed on from my Dad (I challenge you to not love Skynyrd after roaring down the A38 at damn near 100 with Sweet Home Alabama blasting out of the stereo) it has to be Pink Floyd going over in the first match. They're a fantastic band, some truly great songs, songs which have become classics, and they're known to a new generation thanks to Eric Prydz's recent remix of Another Brick In The Wall.

And for God's sake people, learn to spell Lynyrd Skynyrd. There are 2 y's in each word, not a y and an a.

Onto the second match, and quite frankly, for me it's the biggest match of the tournament. Two bands who define the term "rock Gods" clash one on one. It's almost impossible to pick a winner. But I have to go for.. Queen. Quite simply, Queen are iconic. They're THE be-all and end-all of rock, one of the greatest bands ever to tune a guitar, and so many of their songs are still known today. The same can be said for Aerosmith, but the fact is, at least in England, Queen simply outplay Aerosmith. Every single football stadium on the island, whether it's a shed like Wigan's JJB Stadium or an iconic stadium like Wembley itself, has heard a crowd smacking out that rhythm from "We Will Rock You", Gladiators has made "Another One Bites The Dust" iconic, "We Are The Champions" is sung by everyone, from middle-aged men who think they're younger, down to little kids, and hell, so much more is known by my generation. I went on a road trip about a year ago with a minibus full of my youth group. Aside from one Australian youth leader, there wasn't a person in that bus over the age of 15, and we had Greatest Hits 1 on the stereo. Every single person on that bus knew every single track. Queen are the icons of music, and they're my pick to win this entire tournament.

My choices are Skynyrd and Aerosmith. I know it isn't the popular choice but heres what I voice it on. First Skynyrd over Floyd. I know Dark side of the moon and the wall are two of the most classic albums ever but other than another brick in the wall and possibly Money what other classics have they had. Don't get me wrong I love them. I would ask you this though, go ask a 20 year old to name four Floyd songs and see how long it takes, ask him to name four Skynyrd songs, and without thinking Sweet Home Alambama, Freebird, The ballad of Curtis Lowe, Gimmie three steps, Tuesday's Gone would flow out. How many times do you hear Sweet HOme Alambama mentioned in songs. Look at one of the biggest hits out right now All Summer Long but Kid Rock, it's music is a combination of Werewolves in London and of course SHA.
ONto the second matchup, I can't use the same argument because We will rock you, We are the Champions, Another one bites the dust, Bahomeny Rhapsody are iconic, just as Dream on, Sweet Emotion, Come Togheter, and Walk this way are. Here is where Aerosmith has the advanatge they surived longer and adjusted to the times. I mean there run in the mid 90's is right on par with there run in the 70's. How many other bands came say they were on top 20 years apart.

Are you kidding, Tarp? You honestly think most people would be able to name 4 Skynyrd songs before naming 4 Floyd songs?

Most people, at least those who don't have a "Nascar Cooler," can name two Skynyrd songs. Freebird and Sweet Home. A lot of people, including myself up until about 3 months ago, don't even know that "Gimme Two Steps" is Skynyrd.

But lots of people came name Another Brick in the Wall, Mother, Comfortably Numb, Dark Side of the Moon. Floyd is LEAPS AND BOUNDS aheead of Skynyrd, who shouldn't even have made the final four.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back