Elton John Vs Marshall Tucker Band

• Elton John

• Marshall Tucker Band

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

1st Round 70's Region Match

Elton John vs Marshall Tucker Band

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun!

Have to go for Sir Elton on this one. The man has churned out a huge number of hits and has been doing it for ages:
Goodbye Yellowbrick Road
Candle in the Wind (2 versions)
Rocketman
Your Song
I Guess that's why they call it the blues
Sorry seems to be the hardest word

Add to that the amount of film soundtracks the guy has done and in my view he'll take MTB out on this round

I heard a statistic years ago on the radio that has stuck with me every since. Elton John had a #1 hit in 20 consecutive years. FOR TWENTY STRAIGHT YEARS, an Elton John song was #1 on the charts. That is INSANE. Nobody else can make that claim.

So list all of Elton's singles and hits in EITHER the US or the UK would be painstaking and cause this post to look more like a column by Will. :) But I will list some of the multi-platinum albums:

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - 22x Platinum
Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player - 8x Platinum
Honkey Chateau - 7x Platinum
Caribou - 7x Platinum
Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy - 7x Platinum
The One - 7x Platinum

Elton John's Greatest Hits - 16x Platinum
Elton John's Greatest Hits Vol 2 - 5x Platinum​

This doesn't even cover his work with Disney, his 5 Grammy's or his Academy Award, his influence on so many people during the death of Princess Diana, his risky but effective work along side Eminem, earning ANOTHER #1 hit on a Tupac album, his album of cover songs, and the fact that he's had 4 Greatest Hits albums released.

Marshall Tucker is cool, but he drew an absolute musical legend in this round, and it seems to me that Sir Elton is a lock for the Regional Final Four in the toughest region in the tournament by far.

This was never fair for the Marshall Tucker Band. Can't say I know much from them outside of "Can't You See", but that is a fantastic song.

But he's facing Elton John, an absolute musical legend. Granted I have absolutely no taste for anything he's done in the last 25-plus years, but his string of classic albums in the 70s alone solidified him as a legend in my book and the hearts of fans and critics everywhere. Honky Chateau is an absolute classic record, one that seems to get better with age some how. "Tiny Dancer" alone propels Elton John past Marshall Tucker Band here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back