53 Donkey Kong 64 -v - CRAWL - Stone Soup 76

Discussion in 'Hyrule Region' started by Lee, Jun 2, 2011.

?

?

1. DK64

2. Crawl: Stone Soup

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
    Staff Member Super Moderator E-Fed Mod

[​IMG]

Stone Soup doesn't even have a wiki page, but it's pretty fun...see how it copes against DK64.

[​IMG]

2. Arkham Noir

Arkham Noir With black birds following me

My vote is going for Donkey Kong 64, although I will admit that I have never even heard of Stone Soup, let alone played it.

Donkey Kong 64 on the other hand holds the distinction for me as being the game that I rented more times than any other game I have ever played. You had five characters that you had to play as in order to collect all the golden bananas. Three of the Kongs debuted in this game and another one (Diddy Kong) had only been in one game prior to this game (maybe two, but i'm fairly certain it is only one). Collecting Golden Bananas ranged from simply finding where it was and shooting a nearby switch, to having to race to get one within a very short period of time, to the ever popular barrel shooting games that have become synonymous with the Donkey Kong franchise.

One thing really holds dear to my heart about this game is the individual "worlds" that you go to. From Frantic Factory to Creepy Castle, these were probably my absolute favourite collection of areas of any games I have ever played.

This is one of my favourite game in history and one that is still as fun to play right now as it was ten years ago. Not many games can claim that.

Vote for Donkey Kong 64

Dagger Dias likes this.
  3. Wade's Public Transit Bomb

Wade's Public Transit Bomb Championship Contender

DK.. Donkey Kong 64.

If for nothing else, the DK Rap is something that people who have played the game still remember. If not, it is still a fun game. The main mode is one player, but with five different characters, you could easily split the game play and not get tired of having to hand over the remote. Me and my friend Pyras beat the game together. I choose Dixie and Chunky while he got Diddy and Lanky, we used to argue over to HAD to be DK. haha

4. Gelgarin

Gelgarin Gentleman of the Old School

Que people lining up to vote against I game they've never even heard of and taken no time to learn about, let alone play. Lame.

For the last couple of months I have been giving away copious amounts of my life to an entertaining little masterpiece known as Dungeon Crawl - Stone Soup. This game has now pleased me enough that I feel the strange compulsion to spread the love a little bit. Also, I want to push this game in the upcoming tournament and think my odds are better if a few other people on the forum have actually played it.

I don't care too much if people vote for it, I'm just interested in seeing that it gets played. It's a free download - give it a shot. If you like RPGs then you are unlikely to regret it.

DCSS is a game about searching a dungeon for a magical McGuffin named The Orb of Zot. You choose a species and a background, get starter gear, and delve into the furthest depths of the unmapped, unexplored, randomly generated, extremely dangerous dungeon complex.

Still here? Good. Stone Soup is the absolute best example of a near death genre of RPG known as a Roguelike. Roguelikes are characterized by randomization for replayability, permanent death, and turn-based movement. In days of old they all used to be produced in ASCII (letters and numbers instead of a graphical interface) but Stone Soup has outgrown that tradition. Roguelike games are also well known for being hard as fuck, and that's one tradition that Stone Soup does not shy away from.

Be warned, Dungeon Crawl - Stone Soup is a game so old school that it wears a mortarboard and regularly beats children. There are no checkpoints, there is no saving, there are no second chances. If you die in the dungeon then it's game over (though ghosts of your previous characters will show up to try and sabotage any future attempts to descend into the dungeon) create a new character.

To give an indication of the difficulty, I myself have never managed to progress more than 20% of the way through the dungeon. It's that hard. That being said, the game is almost never unfair. If, or rather: when you die; it will be entirely your own fault.

It's a recurring cliche in gaming for video games to claim that no two games will ever be the same. With DCSS this claim is actually true. With 23 playable races, all of whom handle completely differently, 28 classes, 17 deities and an almost infinite selection of equipment and dungeon layouts, Crawl has more replayability than any other game I have encountered. There is almost no limit to the number of ways one can try to tackle the dungeon. You could play a stealthy Spriggan relying on putting enemies to sleep then cutting their throats. You could play a berserk Troll capable of cutting down waves on enemies in an instant. You could rely on the unique mutations of the Deamonspawn, the ability to fly of the Kenku, or the all powerful breath of the Draconian. It's really hard to put into words just how varied a Crawl experience can be. You are constantly forced to use every ability, every potion, every single trick at your disposal just to survive. It's a game of truly epic proportions.

Crawl in an indy game for PC under constant development, with new versions containing new content coming out on a regular basis. It is also completely free to download. Given that I've spent more time on Crawl than I have on the vast majority of my PS3 titles I call that pretty good value for money. Advertising is technically frowned upon here so I won't post a link, but anybody capable of actually playing the game is easily capable of locating it.

If your an RPG fan and fancy a taste of a truly old school experience then I heartedly recommend giving Stone Soup a try. It wont be to everyone's taste, but I dare say there's a few folks out there who'd appreciate a touch more of a challenge than your typical Final Fantasy title offers.

At the end of the day, Stone Soup is the absolute king of its genre. Donkey Kong isn't.

5. The Doctor

The Doctor Great and Devious

Donkey Kong 64 wasn't even one of the good platformers of the N64-era, guys. It was big, and don't get me wrong, it was fun, but it just doesn't compare to the likes of Mario 64 or Banjo-Tooie, or even Conker's Bad Fur Day. It was pretty, but most of my enjoyment of it was through finding the mounds and mounds of glitches that the game held. You couldn't walk two steps without going through a wall and skipping one of the tedious timed fetch quests the game contained.

CRAWL isn't really my cup of tea, but it is just as big, with more replay value than DK64 due to the randomly-generated dungeons. I downloaded it just to vote in this round and I can say that it's quite impressive the array of strategies and combinations there are. It's unapologetically old-school, and if you're into roguelikes I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Maybe I'm voting for something different, but in a tournament with Banjo-Tooie, multiple Mario games, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and more, I can't justify giving the vote to DK64.

6. Derf

Derf O.M.G.

I have to vote for DK64 here, for two reasons. 1, I've never heard of the other game. I said I wouldn't vote against games I havn't played, but it's DK64!!! This game required an expansion pack! Plus, I'm not gonna back a game that a few people say is good, as opposed to one of my childhood favorites.

7. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm going with Donkey Kong 64 here. It was a fun platformer on the 64 and good whether you played single or multiplayer. It's still fun today and has somewhat stood the test of time. I can't quite say that for Stone Soup, which is why I voted for DK64.

8. Gelgarin

Gelgarin Gentleman of the Old School

Given that Stone Soup was constructed four years prior to DK64 and has retained an extensive online playing community to this day, whilst Kong has been totally forgotten, the assertion that DK has stood the test of time better is utterly laughable.

9. Serious Mozzarella

Serious Mozzarella Special Victims Unit

Psst... Hey Dagger...

Stone Soup was re-released in April of 2011.

It's essentially just an update, but whatever.

I'm not voting here, because I never finished DK64, and I've never played SS, but I can say without a doubt that DK64 is not even one of the good games in the DK franchise. I'd rather play Jump Man! than DK64.

10. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
    Staff Member Super Moderator E-Fed Mod

DK wins on the post voting count.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.