The Beach Boys vs Van Morrison

• The Beach Boys

• Van Morrison

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

2nd Round 50's / 60's Region Match

#8 The Beach Boys vs #25 Van Morrison

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun! PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU VOTE FOR THE BAND YOU INTEND TO VOTE FOR! MOVING FORWARD, IF YOU CLICK THE WRONG BAND, YOUR VOTE WILL HAVE TO STAND!

Ok...now it's time for the Van the Man Can campaign with a little history which wasn't needed with the last opposition.

Van Morrison is not just a singer, he can ably play piano, sax, guitar harmonica and drums. Not just a one trick pony
Musical styles - folk, scat, jazz, celtic and blues. Able to mix it up genre wise like the great artists such as Queen
Singing - Van Morrison has such a unique, distinctive voice that lends itself so well to the bluesy feel of his music.

Maybe my views on the man are clouded by the fact he lived a few miles from where I live, or went to school around the corner from where I live, maybe it's that he performed his first songs in what is now part of my old school's music department, or that he's the best selling artist to come from Northern Ireland ever...but probably it's because the man has written and performed outstanding pieces of music.

Listen to the album Astral weeks to get the feel of Van Morrison's music (album voted 19th best ever by Rolling Stone Top 500). Moondance also features in the top 100 of this list.
Van Morrison's collaberations show how highly he is thought of in the music world, recording with Tom Jones, Ray Charles, The Chieftains (Irish band). I've also included this section from Wikipedia where I took the facts on albums from:
wiki said:
Morrison's influence can readily be seen in the music of many major artists, including U2 (much of The Unforgettable Fire), Bruce Springsteen ("Spirit in the Night", "4th of July (Sandy)", "New York City Serenade," both lyrically and vocally, "Backstreets"), John Mellencamp ("A Little Night Dancin'", a cover of Morrison's "Wild Night"), Jim Morrison, Joan Armatrading, Rickie Lee Jones, Rod Stewart, Tom Petty, Patti Smith (her poetic-proto-punk "Gloria" most explicitly), Elvis Costello (who later toured with Morrison), Graham Parker, Daryl Hall, Thin Lizzy, Bob Seger ("I know Springsteen was very much affected by Van Morrison, and so was I." - interview in Creem), Dexys Midnight Runners, Jimi Hendrix ("Gloria"), Jeff Buckley ("The Way Young Lovers Do", "Sweet Thing"), and numerous others, including Counting Crows (their "sha-la-la" sequence in Mr Jones, is a tribute to Morrison).

Morrison's influence on the younger generation of singer-songwriters is pervasive, including Irish singer Damien Rice who has been described as on his way to becoming the "natural heir to Van Morrison."Ray Lamontagne, James Morrison, Paolo Nutini Eric Lindell and David Gray are also several of the younger artists influenced by Morrison. Glen Hansard of Irish rock band The Frames, who lists Van Morrison as being part of his holy trinity with Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen, commonly covers his songs in concert. The Wallflowers have covered "Into The Mystic"and Canadian blues-rock singer Colin James also covers "Into The Mystic" frequently at his concerts.

The facts are there...Van Morrison ticks all the boxes and should be a strong candidate to go over here. Not knocking the beach boys...but to count U2, Jeff Buckley and Bruce Springsteen as being influenced by your music is quite an acheivement

not much of Van Morrison's music is actually on Youtube, but I'm including some songs to hear him for the uneducated.
Brown-eyed Girl
[youtube]mXbkp3BYZqQ[/youtube]
Have I Told You Lately
[youtube]dKmM9_3xZJ8[/youtube]

Counterpoint: Vote for The Beach Boys.

1. The Beach Boys have had more Top-40 hits than any other US band, with 36.

2. According to Billboard Magazine, the Beach Boys are the highest selling band in US history.

3. "Pet Sounds" is #1 on many magazine writer's lists of the Greatest Albums of all time, including mine, for it's technical mastery and depth, especially in 1966.

I understand that infighting, drugs, mental issues, etc. have torn this band apart, and the deaths of two major members in 1983 and 1988 never allowed them to have the world of momentum they should have, but if you look at compilations of albums, songs, etc, this band found its niche and carved out a legacy. I see The Beach Boys going over here, but much to my surprise, I am in the minority.

Huge fan of the Beach Boys here. every song they came out with was pure gold. They became worldwide phenomenons and rightfully so. Some people may consider them a Jan & Dean rip-off, but to me they took what that duo had and added to it. Who could forget those harmonies either. Back in those days those specific harmonies were so unique!!! The Beach Boys should go over here.

2. According to Billboard Magazine, the Beach Boys are the highest selling band in US history.

Are you sure about that, I thought that honor belong to KISS

Anyway that aside, both bands are great but I think I'm going with Van Morrison in this one, as it appears they have seem to have a bigger influence, well that and I like them better

Are you sure about that, I thought that honor belong to KISS

Kiss is actually 5th. Here is the list:

The Record Setters
Top 10 American Bands
1. The Beach Boys
2. Chicago
3. Aerosmith
4. Jefferson Airplane / Starship
5. Kiss
6. Eagles
7. The Ventures
8. Bon Jovi
9. Journey
10. Grateful Dead
Joel based this ranking on their combined chart points from the Billboard Singles and Albums charts from 1955 to the present.

Here's the link to the site on which I found it:

http://www.recordresearch.com/record_setters.php?id=1

How, it is a statistic, which means it's only one side of the story. This ONLY takes the Billboard charts into consideration - not gross album sales. That record may very well belong to Kiss, but since Billboard is a reputable source, I thought this was worth mentioning. Good thinking, though.

Outstanding win for the man from Belfast on this. Beach Boys were a big band in their day compared to Van Morrison, a great artist who never really had chart success

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back