Led Zeppelin vs Elvis Presley

• Led Zeppelin

• Elvis Presley

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

5th Round 50's / 60's Region Match

#3 Led Zeppelin vs #6 Elvis Presley

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun! PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU VOTE FOR THE BAND YOU INTEND TO VOTE FOR! MOVING FORWARD, IF YOU CLICK THE WRONG BAND, YOUR VOTE WILL HAVE TO STAND!

I made the argument that Michael Jackson should have beaten Metallica (and badly) in the 80's region, and I would be a hypocrite here if I didn't do the same.

I stress, I am a huge Zeppelin fan, but lets be realistic, as great as Led Zeppelin is, and they are arguably the greatest band ever, Elvis Presley is the man when it comes to music in America. Look at Graceland still every year on his birthday. The guy is a huge influence and something none of us can understand properly. Sure, he stole his music from African Americans, but he did something with it no one has.

I read somewhere that only two people have existed that you know by first name only, one is Jesus, the other is Elvis.

I was all excited to come in here and battle Shocky with the "Elvis stole rock and roll from black artists" argument. But man, I did some research and some soul searching.

Where does the fine line between "influence / inspiration end, and stealing begin? And how much of Elvis's criticism for deriving rock and roll from 1940's R&B was strictly a racism argument, not a musical argument?

The only way this match could be more culturally relevant would be Elvis vs Hendrix, which is possible for the next round. Elvis was obviously influenced by African-American music, R&B in particular, and may have accused Elvis of "stealing" that music. One artist I greatly respect, however, spoke out in defense of "The King..."

Jackie Wilson said:
"A lot of people have accused Elvis of stealing the black man’s music, when in fact, almost every black solo entertainer copied his stage mannerisms from Elvis."[

Furthermore, Elvis never claimed to have "invented" the music he played. He often tipped his ducktailed hair to many of his purported influences, such as BB King, Jackie Wilson, Ivory Joe Hunter, and Fats Domino. He did this, incidentally, at a time when racial segregation was still a norm in America.

Still, while some say Elvis was inspired by African American music, even claiming his open-mindedness allowed Rock and Roll to be the one bridge over the gap between the races, others still villify Presley as a racist musical pirate.

unknown said:
"To talk to Presley about blacks was like talking to Adolf Hitler about the Jews."

No consensus has been reached on whether or not Presley was a racist who stole black music or an open-minded talent who bridged the gap between the races. Either way, there's no denying the influence this man had on the rock landscape and why he's in a dogfight with another legendary band in Zeppelin.

I have not yet decided which side of the fence I fall on in this match, but I did want to get the discussion on race started, because it's so relevant to the match-ups.

I just like to throw it out there because it does cause a lot of shit. Particularly in recent years with Eminem and Rap Music. Most try to discredit MNM by saying he stole the music from African Americans, but in fact, his writing and production is far superior to most people in the rap business currently. It's simply a fact that Eminem and Elvis took something that existed and made it something so much better.

As far as Presley vs. Zeppelin, I just can't see how Elvis doesn't just win this, but maybe not the whole thing, maybe the Beatles as the only other real threat to him. He is the King of Rock and Roll, and has had that name for over 50 years now. Trust me, that is a feat the no one will accomplish. He's had 17 number one singles for a total of 79 weeks on top of the Billboard charts, and he has sold over 500 million albums world wide, and is still worshipped to this day, over 50 years from when he began. If that's not influence, name value, and album sales wrapped into one image, then I'm not sure what is. And believe me, I'm not taking anything away from Led Zeppelin, but just read up on Elvis and you'll be amazed.

I made the argument that Michael Jackson should have beaten Metallica (and badly) in the 80's region, and I would be a hypocrite here if I didn't do the same.

I stress, I am a huge Zeppelin fan, but lets be realistic, as great as Led Zeppelin is, and they are arguably the greatest band ever, Elvis Presley is the man when it comes to music in America. Look at Graceland still every year on his birthday. The guy is a huge influence and something none of us can understand properly. Sure, he stole his music from African Americans, but he did something with it no one has.

I read somewhere that only two people have existed that you know by first name only, one is Jesus, the other is Elvis.

That statement right there in bold is the reason I'm voting for Zepplin, after all isn't this tournament to determine the best band and not the most influential?, I'll give Elvis his due he had a big impact, but as far as who is the better band between these two I have to go with Zepplin

That statement right there in bold is the reason I'm voting for Zepplin, after all isn't this tournament to determine the best band and not the most influential?, I'll give Elvis his due he had a big impact, but as far as who is the better band between these two I have to go with Zepplin

Influence has been a huge part of the criteria here from the very beginning, though I don't think anyone can discredit Elvis OR Zeppelin for their influence - both have had a tremendous impact on the landscape of rock music as a whole. So may of the top bands in the 80's and 90's regions list either or both of these artists as a major influence on THEM.

But it is a Rock Tournament, not a Rock Band tournament. You could make the argument, and I would be right there with you, that Led Zeppelin is the greatest Rock Band ever. That being said, I don't think that that band matches up with Elvis Presley, who may very well be the most popular artist of all time. As much as I like Zeppelin, I think it's a very realistic statement to say that Elvis Presley the individual performer is a bigger commodity then Led Zeppelin the entire band.

Zeppelin gets my vote here by default almost. I have never been able to get the appeal of Elvis Pressley. To me he's always been overrated and I've never gotten the hype surrounding him. He had some songs that I like, but just can't get into him that well. Zeppelin is great in their own right. Some of their stuff is just amazing in general and it's still heard today. In high school, there were 3 rocks songs you almost had to know the words to: Sweet Home Alabama (I live in the south), Hotel California, and Stairway to Heaven. That song is one of the perfect rock songs to me. Zeppelin over Elvis here, and to me it's not even close.

While Both are Great and have contributed alot to the history of music i am going to have to go with Led Zeppelin, They are one of if not The greatest rock band in the world. There is not one dull lifeless song that will not get you hyped up and into the mood. Not discredditing elvis as Elvis is the Man but I am going to have to go with Zeppelin here.

Elvis Presley should win this. I think Uncle Shocky is correct on every single one of his arguments. Nobody is gonna say anything negative about Led Zepplin. They are friggin awesome. Always have been, always will be. But, when it comes to the post WWII music scene, there is Elvis Presley, The Beatles, and then everyone else. Although, I do think I have to dispute the 17 #1 singles stat Shocky provided...I believe the current total is 31, counting the Junkie XL remix of "A Little Less Conversation (featuring Elvis's own vocals, so he gets credit for it) that went #1 in 2002.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back