5 Biggest Mistakes in the gaming industry.

We shy worth hair
The gaming industry is filled with stories of technological marvels, awesome breakthroughs and business deals, but not everything is so rosey. From cocky executives to biological warfare in the name of a game. The industry has made many mistakes. Now I should stretch that this is limited to when the gaming industry made mistakes in games or in production. Anyways here's the list:

5. The SEGA Dreamcast in comparison to competition
The Dreamcast was essentially a package of Sega’s mistakes throughout the years. Sega always tried to be the first to the market after the Sega Master System, and the Dreamcast was no different. Because of this, they couldn’t keep up with the launch demand for the console. The lack of DVD playback was yet another problem, because the Dreamcast used a GD-Rom (Sega’s usual format) drive, it could not play DVD movies. Now consider that Playstation 2 allowed this, consumers knew the PS2 was a better value since it was more than just a game console. To make things even worse, the GD-Rom drive had no copy protection, so piracy became a major issue for developers of the Dreamcast. In essence the Dreamcast was against competition it just wasn't possible to compete with unless they made a totally new console.

4. Errors in production A.K.A Red Ring of Death and Yellow light of doom A.K.A “WTF? MY XBOX JUST DIED!!! F%&@#ING HELL!!!...”
One of the biggest issues with games and one of the biggest points to bring up in console wars. PS3 gets yellow light of death at chances of something like 23% chance of occurance while X-Box gets Red Ring of Death at something like 61% chance of occurance. Another issue the X-Box 360 also presents is the scratching of discs because of their disc tray. This causes gaming corporations to have to face up to their mistakes and usually have to replace the broken consoles thus costing these companies hundreds of thousands of possible console sales to be given away for free. Overall this is a mistake that will probably just get worse with each new console as time goes on.

3. Overhype of games
A recurring problem in gaming today. When we as gamers look at game trailers and previews we can our great opinions to see that the games that seem cool in these trailers are either the next Ocharina of Time or the next Deus Ex. Often the most overhyped games often turn out to be real dissapointments. My example in this case is Resident Evil 5 and the latest Alone In the Dark. First of all don't get me wrong as I love every Resident Evil game and in no way was RE5 a terrible game. However, if one were to compare it to its predecessor, the masterpiece known as Resident Evil 4, RE5 isn't even in the same ballpark. The inventory was changed to something much more frustrating, the 'horror' element was removed entirely, the story was a train wreck, they turned one of the series' beloved characters (Jill) and turned her into some Dead or Alive reject, and the partner AI is surprisingly bad for such a polished game. Capcom has recognized the less positive critical reception RE5 received, saying Resident Evil 6 will be yet another reboot of the premier survival horror franchise. I'm going to desperately hope the series goes back to its roots and brings back the scares and shambling zombies. The new one which is apprently a first person shooter will hopefully be scary. Onto Alone in the Dark. I like my survival horror games. I like them a lot. If you don't believe me I have a thread of survival horror game in this section. Post in it. Alone in the Dark was one of the first real survival horror games and also one of the first Lovecraft inspired games. The series' entrance into this generation of consoles promised a ton of innovation, and supposedly the fire was going to change the way fire looked and functioned in games from then on. While the latter was only a little impressive, there's an argument to say the game might've aspired to be too much. It had some pretty original ideas, some worked, others didn't. The DVD style menu was a cool idea, and came in handy when I needed to skip over some of the more frustrating sections in the game, the dual joystick combat was a nice attempt at innovation but became too frustrating and was occasionally unresponsive, the inventory, while flawed, was one of the game's strongest features, and the visuals that were praised almost every time you heard about the game, failed to impress in the final product. But by far one of the game's weakest elements was its pacing. You start off trying to escape from the inside of a crumbling building; it's fun, intense, and serves as a good introduction to the game's world, then you get to the game's first car chase, and Oh My God this game went from a solid action game to one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. The story was something that seemed written by a hyper 5 year old and was just a major dissapointment a lot like ever other Alone game aside from the first one.

2. Flops
Surely SoM nothing can be worse than a game being a total and utter flop right? You'd think so but no but we'll get to that in a bit. I will present two games forward with this claim. The two games are E.T for the Atari 2600 and Psychonauts for the Playstation 2, X-box and PC. Here are two games that were hyped to be the next great game to hit their respective console(s). E.T was panned by just about every critic at the time for its obviously rushed development which is painfully apparent in its gameplay. The game was a much sought after gift for Christmas and sold very well in well and around two million titles making it one of the best selling Atari 2600 games. Sadly they weren't done. About 4 million more units of this game was ordered world wide and around 2 to 3.5 million units went unsold. In one year the game went from costing $49.95 to less than a dollar in the US. Next Generation Magazine reported that Atari earned $25 million in sales, but netted a loss of $100 million. Pure evidence of a flop. Psychonauts is a strange one. Surely a game that was marketed well and recieved widespread acclaim would at least break more than a 100,000 copies? Unfortunately, in the case of Psychonauts, the answer was "no." Its lackluster sales were so bad, in fact, that publisher Majesco resolved to no longer develop "big budget" games after netting a loss of $18 million shortly after the game's release. Persoanally I blame Tim Schafer, the guy can't seem to ever be a success with a game except maybe with Brutal Legend but apprently it is just breaking the boundaries of flop status.

1. The abuse of sequels, spin offs and film adaptions
This has always irritated the living shit out of me in terms of gaming. The former is more evident in the case of SEGA. SEGA has awesome characters such as Alex Kidd and most importantly there’s the king of Sega’s franchises, Sonic. Sega’s mistake here is how they’ve treated these franchises. Although not necessarily as strong as Nintendo’s cast, Sega still has a place amongst the older (and still biggest) market share of the game industry. However, with the constant release of mediocre games based on these franchises (recent examples include “Sonic Unleashed” and “Golden Axe Beast Rider”) it really does make one question Sega’s judgment. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with changing the direction of a franchise (see “Resident Evil”), going in the complete opposite direction tends to alienate the already existing, and most likely dedicated audience. Taking “Golden Axe,” a well known co-operative arcade beat em’ up, and turning it into some plot-heavy single player game, is a good (or bad, depending on how you look at it) example of this. I've already mentioned Alone in the Dark and theres In terms of film adaptions I don't even need to explain do I? Just look at Jaws Unleashed and all the other shitty adaptions made. Hell I'm gonna mention E.T again because it was just that bad. NOBODY wanted to play an overhead game where all you did was pick up pieces of a phone on the same map for EVERY FREAKING LEVEL. As for game spin offs that just plain sucked? Two words: Super, Mario. You can't mention crappy spin offs without mentioning the numerous spin offs the game made that plain out sucked. I'll just mention the worst one; Mario Hotel. Other sucky spin offs included Death By Degrees where you played as the always sexy Tekken character Nina Williams and Shadow the Hedgehog where the main idea was "Shadow with a gun= BAMF". This wasn't the case.

Feel free to voice you opinions freely but that's all from me.

I sort of think that #2, while accurate, is implied. Not something I would actually mention in the gaming industry.

Flops happen. People taut their games as the absolute shit and they turn out to BE absolute shit. I don't really know if I would include something as obvious as a shitty game, that was supposed to be good, in the "5 Biggest Mistakes."

The other ones were really well thought out and offered an interesting take on the gaming industry and their failures. Flops, to me, is sort of a no brainer. If your game sucks and it tanks, it's considered a failure. Not really something I would mention.

I would say the following, which you touched on, over "Flops."

Misuse or Neglecting To Use Available Technology:
Nintendo is the king of doing this. They stuck with the cartridge based technology when everyone else; Sega and Sony were switching to discs. Don't even get me fucking started on Virtual Boy. Same with the GameCube and Wii. Even though I love the Wii and have owned 2, I find it absolutely absurd that Nintendo has YET to adopt DVD technology in any of their systems. The GameCube, in my opinion, had all of the right hardware to blow the other systems off the map, except they went with a fucking minidisc. The Wii has VERY interesting and adaptive technology, but, even though Nintendo graduated to FULL sized discs, the Wii can't use DVD technology. Same with the Dreamcast, their system was so impossible to design games around that they actually wound up losing their two biggest Third Parties; Squaresoft and EA. They couldn't just make a system that made use of developed technology. They HAD to be different.

This is just my two cents, feel free to disagree.

Reactions: .
Came up with three.

Nintendo refusing to work with Sony on a next gen console due to their distrust of CD technology regarding piracy. What happened next was Sony making the Playstation console without Nintendo and dominating that generation of consoles. Nintendo only retook dominance when they came out with Wii.

Console producers focusing too much on padding up technology specification to one up the competition. PS3 and X-Box 360 are both better consoles than the Wii yet more people had fun playing Wii than the other two. By making consoles an absolute beast in terms of specifications, Sony and Microsoft priced the consoles out of many families with limited entertainment budgets, allowing Nintendo the opportunity to be back in the game with Wii which many thought would be the last throw of the dice.

Game developers making games look good at the expense of making them fun to play. Many new games are underwhelming because the focus was too much on making them look good to entice people to buy the games and not enough effort was made to ensure the games were fun to play. This cannot be entirely be blamed on developers as there are many snobs out there that would refuse to play a game if it is not the best looking one.

Another one

Sony dropping backwards compatibility from the PS3. One of the major selling points of the PS2 was backwards compatibility with the PSX so people who had the previous console could still keep their games while they upgrade to the newer system. The PS3 promised to support this feature for both the PSX and PS2, what happened? After the initial consoles (60GB ones) were sold with this feature, they removed from newer products, why? Because the PS2 was still shifting in numbers. Possibly the worse thing Sony have done when it came to the PS3, aside from it being heavily overpriced, the lack of backwards compatibility after the initial launch really put people off, I was one of them, it certainly made Microsoft look good as the Xbox 360 was shifting and could still play with the previous console games.

I'll think of some other ones, but I think this was major when it comes to the PS3 vs. Xbox 360.

Came up with three.

Nintendo refusing to work with Sony on a next gen console due to their distrust of CD technology regarding piracy. What happened next was Sony making the Playstation console without Nintendo and dominating that generation of consoles. Nintendo only retook dominance when they came out with Wii.

I think you need to research that a bit more, the contract was cancelled because Sony put a clause in the contract that they had exlusive rights to the Nintendo franchises. I'd rather Nintendo kept control of Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong et al. Plus out of that came the N64 which had some of the greatest games ever with a massive impact.

Another one

Sony dropping backwards compatibility from the PS3. One of the major selling points of the PS2 was backwards compatibility with the PSX so people who had the previous console could still keep their games while they upgrade to the newer system. The PS3 promised to support this feature for both the PSX and PS2, what happened? After the initial consoles (60GB ones) were sold with this feature, they removed from newer products, why? Because the PS2 was still shifting in numbers. Possibly the worse thing Sony have done when it came to the PS3, aside from it being heavily overpriced, the lack of backwards compatibility after the initial launch really put people off, I was one of them, it certainly made Microsoft look good as the Xbox 360 was shifting and could still play with the previous console games.

I'll think of some other ones, but I think this was major when it comes to the PS3 vs. Xbox 360.

I'd rather Sony could afford to exist than not have backwards compatibility. Is it really that much of a problem for someone that they would think "I won't buy the console for that reason," surely they could just keep the PS2. It saved the company a lot of money, with rumours doing the rounds that they were losing $100 per console before they took backwards compatibility out (due to the two lenses that were used). Not a bad thing at all.

I think you need to research that a bit more, the contract was cancelled because Sony put a clause in the contract that they had exlusive rights to the Nintendo franchises. I'd rather Nintendo kept control of Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong et al. Plus out of that came the N64 which had some of the greatest games ever with a massive impact.

Nintendo still did well but the Playstation 1 dominated everything of that generation of consoles. The result of what they did was to encourage the introduction of a new competitor with much deeper pockets into the console wars of that generation. I think both company learnt valuable lessons from the incident but I consider it one of the biggest regrets of what could have been in gaming.

5. The SEGA Dreamcast in comparison to competition
The Dreamcast was essentially a package of Sega’s mistakes throughout the years. Sega always tried to be the first to the market after the Sega Master System, and the Dreamcast was no different. Because of this, they couldn’t keep up with the launch demand for the console. The lack of DVD playback was yet another problem, because the Dreamcast used a GD-Rom (Sega’s usual format) drive, it could not play DVD movies. Now consider that Playstation 2 allowed this, consumers knew the PS2 was a better value since it was more than just a game console. To make things even worse, the GD-Rom drive had no copy protection, so piracy became a major issue for developers of the Dreamcast. In essence the Dreamcast was against competition it just wasn't possible to compete with unless they made a totally new console.

Uhm, no. First of all, the GD ROM was not Sega's usual choice of format considering the format didn't exist until "Project Blackbelt" which was the developmental unit for the Dreamcast and the Arcade counterpart of the system. And you say that part of the problem was also keeping up with the demand for the console, however, several other companies like Nintendo and Sony have had this problem and still stayed strong in the market. On top of that, the Dreamcast had plenty of time as a console before the PS2 released to build it's hype. Had the proposed DVD Drive released for the Dreamcast, there is a possibility that things would be different now as everyone knew what the Dreamcast could do, unlike most of Sony's broken promises as the PS2 didn't even do half of what they said it would. And what "Consumers" "KNEW" that the PS2 was a better value than the Dreamcast? Because it had a DVD player in it? In the end, believing revisionist history does nothing to change the fact that Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft really had nothing to do with the end of the Dreamcast. PIRACY killed the Dreamcast and that's it. Nothing more, nothing less. No third party companies wanted to release games on the Dreamcast due to piracy and Sega was losing too much money because of it. Instead of letting the ship sink like the Titanic, they let go. In the end it was the right thing to do because the company still exists today.

Interesting take on potential mistakes of the video game industry. I do agree that Sega's consoles seem to suffer from getting released too early, and none of them did that great other than the Genesis which was still worse than the SNES. The "red ring of death" and similar issues stem from the fact that games and consoles are nowhere near as durable as they once were. My old Super Mario Bros 1 from 1985 STILL WORKS and it's older than a good chunk of the members of this forum. There was also a story once of a Game Boy (the original, the big white GB's) that got damaged while a soldier was playing out on a warzone and STILL WORKED. Nowadays? If you as much as let a couple of specks of dust fall onto a PS3 disc or 360 disc, things go wrong. The consoles themselves aren't durable anymore either. The Wii a little moreso than the 360 or the PS3, but still. They don't make them like they used to.

Overhype, however, is not necessarily a bad thing. It's a little thing called advertising. If you don't tell people about your product, no one's going to buy it. It's simple Business 101. It might feel like overhype if the game lets you down compared to what you expected, but the developers still made money off your purchase. Flops I have mixed feelings about. Sometimes they are downright horrible, but you have to give some of those developers credit for trying something different because so few do. I also disagree on the "abuse" of sequels/spinoffs. If a series is popular, why not capitalize on its popularity by increasing it? Some of the biggest series out there today got half of their popularity through all of their sequels and spinoffs. It adds life to a series by making these spinoffs and sequels.

Finally.... I wouldn't quite call all of these things mistakes due to the fact that people learn from having things done wrong, these 5 things are more like learning experiences for both gamers as well as developers. Learning what NOT to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back