Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

50's / 60's Region - 2nd Round - Bewitched vs I Love Lucy

bewitched.jpg

VS

i-love-lucy.jpg

I was never a fan of Bewitched, or I Dream of Jeannie, or any other witch or genie-oriented sitcom of the 1960s. Aside from oogling Jeannie in her bikini, what was the appeal of that show? I'm still not sure.

I Love Lucy is pretty much the Godzilla of early television, dominating ratings for years and easily being the most popular show on television during that time. I remember watching the show every weeknight as a kid with my sister whenever we would stay up late to watch Nick at Nite. My sister loved the show for some reason, so it grew on me. I'm not a huge fan of the show or anything like KB is, but it gets my vote here.

I Love Lucy all the way. Bewitched was awesome. But really, could you get much better than Desi Arnez and Lucille Ball in this time period? No you couldn't. Lucille Ball took a show and made it a phenomenon. How many other shows are still talked about in such high regard as I Love Lucy is? It really is the perfect show. Even today. I Love Lucy gets my vote.

This has to be Lucy.

Think about this for a second. Most of the time, things that are considered the funniest you've ever seen aren't on TV or film but in real life. Things that are the funniest are the things that are the most possible. There was a secret to Lucy's success: the situations weren't all that improbable. Yes they were over the top, but they were plausible. Is it unreasonable to think that a person is making a loaf of bread and misreads the recipe and there's far more than expected? Is it unreasonable to think that two women would be put on an assembly line and not be able to keep up and eat the candy to keep their job? Is it unreasonable to think that a woman wants to be famous? Hell just two months ago a family faked their son being trapped in a balloon to get attention.

See what I mean? Lucy is more reasonable, which makes it funnier, and that's the point of a comedy. I don't know about you, but I don't know many nose twitching witches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back