2017-2018 NBA Season

SSJPhenom

The Phenom of WZ
Well the Celtics season is shot as Hayward just went down with a horrific broken ankle. It was awful looking. Almost as bad as when Sid Vicious broke his leg coming off the top rope. I really feel sorry for him. First game as a Celtic and this happens.

Get well soon Hayward.

For some odd reason I didn't even know that the Spurs got Rudy Gay. IMO that closes the gap between them and Golden State and makes the Spurs the second best team in the west without question.

Also, through all the trades and what not over the summer and all the Lonzo Ball talk I completely forgot that Ben Simmons is healthy and ready to go. He had 18 and 10reb in his pro debut. That's not a bad start. 76ers might be a lot better than I thought they'd be.

I meant to post a prediction thread and forgot. Cavs/Warriors III is pretty inevitable, but here are my picks anyway. Here are my playoff teams:

Eastern Conference:

1. Cleveland 55-27
2. Washington 51-31
3. Boston 48-34
4. Milwaukee 48-34
5. Miami 47-35
6. Toronto 44-38
7. Charlotte 43-39
8. Philadelphia 39-43

Western Conference:

1. Golden State 70-12
2. Houston 61-21
3. Oklahoma City 55-27
4. San Antonio 55-27
5. Minnesota 50-32
6. Denver 47-35
7. Utah 46-36
8. New Orleans 43-39

2018 Playoffs - 1st Round :

#1 Cavaliers 4
#8 76ers 0

#4 Bucks 4
#5 Heat 2

#3 Celtics 4
#6 Raptors 1

#2 Wizards 4
#7 Hornets 1

#1 Warriors 4
#8 Pelicans 0

#4 Spurs 4
#5 Timberwolves 1

#3 Thunder 4
#6 Nuggets 1

#2 Rockets 4
#7 Jazz 0

2018 Playoffs - Conference Semifinals:

#1 Cavaliers 4
#4 Bucks 2

#2 Wizards 4
#3 Celtics 3

#1 Warriors 4
#4 Spurs 1

#2 Rockets 3
#3 Thunder 4

2018 Playoffs - Conference Finals:

#1 Cavaliers 4
#2 Wizards 2

#1 Warriors 4
#3 Thunder 2

2018 NBA Finals:

Warriors 4
Cavaliers 2

Regular Season MVP: LeBron James, Cavaliers
Coach of the Year: Tom Thibodeau, Timberwolves
Rookie of the Year: Ben Simmons, 76ers
Sixth Man of the Year: Rudy Gay, Spurs
Most Improved Player of the Year: Jusuf Nurkic, Trail Blazers
Defensive Player of the Year: Rudy Gobert, Jazz

For some odd reason I didn't even know that the Spurs got Rudy Gay. IMO that closes the gap between them and Golden State and makes the Spurs the second best team in the west without question.

Also, through all the trades and what not over the summer and all the Lonzo Ball talk I completely forgot that Ben Simmons is healthy and ready to go. He had 18 and 10reb in his pro debut. That's not a bad start. 76ers might be a lot better than I thought they'd be.

The early reports all said that Gay wasn't fitting in well with Pops' system and was a real squeaky wheel on an otherwise professional mild mannered team. No idea how far he has come, but if those are still the case then Pops will likely look to ship him out. He gave Aldridge time to fall in line and things look better there so who knows at this point though.

Speaking of debuts, Lonzo only getting three points wasn't a good look, but at least he started the game. Rookie of the Year looks like Dennis Smith based on one game, but man Lonzo and Fultz didn't look great.

Well the Celtics season is shot as Hayward just went down with a horrific broken ankle. It was awful looking. Almost as bad as when Sid Vicious broke his leg coming off the top rope. I really feel sorry for him. First game as a Celtic and this happens.

Get well soon Hayward.

Celtics season being shot means they still make the playoffs, probably bow out in the second round, given the Eastern Conference.

If anything Kyrie is probably breathing a sigh of relief that his first season can be chalked up to Hayward's injury rather than the team just not being good enough to beat the Cavaliers at full strength.

What's wild about the Celtics is that they are still the heir apparent to win their division. I think the Raptors arguably could take it from them, but Kyle Lowry is on the wrong side of 30 and I think Brad Stevens makes Dwayne Casey look like Isaiah Thomas (the coach, not the player). If the Celtics are able to continue to get good work out of Horford and Smart and young guys like Brown, Tatum, and Rozier all continue to develop, I think the Celtics will be able to outperform the Raptors.

Speaking of debuts, Lonzo only getting three points wasn't a good look, but at least he started the game. Rookie of the Year looks like Dennis Smith based on one game, but man Lonzo and Fultz didn't look great.

Given time I'm sure that at least Fultz will be able to find his place in the 76ers system. Lonzo I'm not as positive about because it seems like he's under a lot of pressure to be the future of the NBA's most prestigious franchise with absolutely nobody there to help him apart from an oft injured Brook Lopez.

But I get what you're saying. If either of these guys make the Hall of Fame they aren't going to be able to find too many highlights from their debut games.

Ben Simmons, as far as I know, is still considered to be a rookie since he didn't play any last season. If that's still the case, I think that he has a strong chance of being the Rookie of the Year.

Rookie of the Year looks like Dennis Smith based on one game, but man Lonzo and Fultz didn't look great.

Ben Simmons is a rookie as well. He may have something to say about that early season RotY favorite prediction.

Edit: I embarrassingly missed that I was beat to this point. Props SSJ.

So I guess Lonzo Ball will be something to watch after all. Last night in his game against the Suns he had 29pts, 11reb, and 9ast. 1 assist away from a triple double in his second game? I know it was against the Suns. They're not one of the elite teams of the NBA but who cares? Triple doubles are hard to get and the fact that he was going against two outstanding guards all night in Bledsoe and Booker is impressive as well.

Ball might be better than we originally thought.

Ben Simmons just had 21pts 12rebs and 10ast in the 76ers win against Detroit Monday night. Rookie of the year numbers right there and, I'm going to call it now, he'll be the first rookie all-star since Blake Griffin. Especially since there ain't nobody in the East.

Can anyone explain Orlando to me? I don't hear much about them but they appear to have some quality wins. Is it a fluke?

Yeah it's a mystery. Frank Vogel is one of the best coaches in the league but I can't explain why Aaron Gordon is getting 40 point games or anything. About time they stepped up really considering they've been rebuilding since they lost Dwight but I'm not sure how long it lasts. I love Elfiid Payton but he can't shoot and Vuvecic is still a real average defender. They're bench looks nice but I don't see them making playoffs.

Aaron Gordon has finally figured out that he's stronger, faster, and can jump higher than the average NBA player. So he's become more aggressive driving in to the rim and such. Also, he's kinda developed a jumper and that's made him damn near unstoppable. Like Khalifa said, I'm not sure it'll last, but it is nice to see him take advantage of his gifts and become better and better.

What the hell is going on with the Cavs? They look awful. They're losing to teams that they have no business ever losing to as long as LeBron is on the floor. They're second to dead last in defensive efficiency and their offense isn't much better. Last night in their loss to the Pacers (Really??), they only had one person on the entire team that had a positive efficiency rating and that was Jeff Green. They allowed the Pacers to shoot 62% from the 3pt line. Idc who you are, if your opponent shoots that well from 3, you're not going to win. They've lost to the Nets also. I think this is their worst start since before James went back.

Is it too early for concern or are the Cavs in serious trouble? Let me know your opinions.

Seeding doesn't matter in the East for the Cavs. They can be the eight seed and still make the finals. They have LeBron and are missing their starting point guard. They'll be fine when the playoffs arrive.

I have to say, as someone who respects LeBron the man and player but dislikes his decade plus of dominating the NBA, I enjoy watching the Cavs struggle.

Drastic prediction, Lue will want to cut or buyout Wade before the season is over, leading to an even bigger rift between he and LeBron, leading to Lue coaching his last season and them bringing in an LBJ yes man in an attempt to get him to stay past this season.

The NBA just isn't making sense right now. the 76ers have a better record than the Cavs? Say what? Boston has won 9 straight after losing their legit second best player and perennial all star Hayward? Say what? Giannis has become probably the 3rd best player in the league right now? Say what? Boston has the best record in the league and are the best defensive team in the league? Say what? I have to admit, the East is a lot more exciting so far than I thought it was going to be.

The West is right about where I thought it'd be so far. Although, I have to admit, OKC is looking pretty horrible right now. I know that they need time to get it together, but those 3 should be able to win games based on their talent alone.

I guess my claims of Boston's ruined season were a bit premature. Has Boston proved itself a contender with their defeat of Golden State last night? Or is it still fool's gold considering that Hayward isn't there and no matter what, without him, they're not going to be as good as they could be?

They managed to shut down Curry, and had an inspired performance from Brown after his friend passed away. Some iffy calls against GS helped as well, so it was a solid win, but I still think that GS would take a seven game series due to their experience in that situation. The thing that is helping Boston right now is that they are playing solid team ball. Yeah, Kyrie is the poster boy, but each night they get a lot of solid performances from a core group of good players.

I get what you're saying, but look at what Boston is doing defensively. They are the number one defense in the league. At first, I thought that it was only for a few games that it would slowly get worse and worse as the season went on, but damn it if they're not getting better and better as the season goes on. 10 games isn't a big enough sample size, but 20 games is. That's a quarter of the season and they are on a 15 game winning streak and shutting down teams from the Warriors to the Mavericks. They're playing amazing team basketball like you said and this is without Hayward. If Hayward were healthy and playing, I think they'd be even better then they are now. Especially offensively.

I think that the Cavs need to watch out. They're not a lock this year to come out of the East for the first time in 4 years.

Just some quarter season thoughts:

CP3 and Harden are playing a lot better together than everyone thought they would. I never had a worry that they'd have a problem sharing the ball because they love to share the ball. Especially CP3. He constantly has games where he'll score less than 10 pts a game but will have over 10 ast a game and with only 1 or 2 turnovers. They're going to be a tough out this year in the playoffs. Even for Golden State.

The 76ers are quickly becoming my favorite team to watch in the league. I've never seen a rookie come in and dominate the way that Ben Simmons is. It's not just his scoring, passing, and rebounding either; it's his IQ. He has such a high IQ. He plays to his strengths. He knows that he's not a great jump shooter so he rarely ever shoots beyond 15ft. Yet, even though the defense knows this, they can't stop him at all. Also, Embid is proving that he's more than worth the investment that they made towards him this summer. If they can stay healthy, they'll be one of the absolute best teams in the league in a few years. Trust the Process.

Boston has surprised everyone. I still can't believe how good they are without Hayward. I'm just worried that that's going to start catching up to them at some point. So far so good right now though.

The Cavs are starting to play well. It was too early for all the warning bells and whistles. They didn't and still don't have Rose, Thomas, TT, and others. LeBron is still proving, though, that he is beyond a shadow of a doubt the best player in the league.

The Spurs are worse then I thought they'd be but they don't have their best player so.....

OKC is also worse then I thought they'd be. Ironically, though, with them it's not their defense like you'd think. They're one of the better teams in the league defensively. It's their offense that's lacking and they have 3 of the best offensive players in the league. Too much ball stoppage with Melo and PG. Their offense doesn't flow and that's the problem. 8 of their losses have been with 5 pts or less and most of those were even under 3 pts. With 3 bonafide scorers on their team, that's a big problem.

Lonzo Ball looks like a bust right now. He needs to stop being all passive and get pissed off and play the damn game with no fear or regrets. Right now he's trying to please everyone. He needs to stop doing that and play ball the way he always has.

Just some thoughts for the first part of the season.

Hasn't CP3 been hurt for a fair portion of the season? I think it is too early to say he and Harden are gelling perfectly. I don't buy them as serious playoff contenders. Harden disappears in the post season and Paul has played the most career playoff games without making the conference finals.

I also think you are overstating Hayward's potential impact for Boston. I think a lot of people were though. I like Hayward, but last year was his only truly good season as a pro. Go back and look at his numbers with Utah, he would have an up season followed by a down season, followed by an up season, followed by a down season. Last year he was a consistent all around scorer and found rhythm. It remains to be seen if he could repeat that though.

I'm not at all surprised by OKC's struggles. They brought in two ball dominant forwards to play will a ball hog in Westbrook. Who thought that was a good idea? It shows you can't just pick up a bunch of name players and expect to win. It doesn't help that both Melo and PG are overrated by those who don't watch them night in and night out. Both guys give up when they are having bad nights, PG is one of the least clutch stars in recent memory, and Melo isn't a two way player. None of the three have ever been described as good teammates either.

If Lonzo could develop a jumper, a very teachable skill, he can become a very good player. His passing ability and court vision are outstanding for someone his age and he isn't afraid to get inside and bang with bigger guys to grab boards. It's just his ugly ugly ugly jump shot that holds him back. They need to rework it now while they are still a Lottery team instead of waiting a few years when they could be actual contenders and still having him shoot 30% from the field.

Derek Rose needs to retire. I feel kind of bad for the guy. He was a great athletic slasher who could score inside at will. He was never a great defender or facilitator, but he was a bonafide star at what he did. That ACL injury took almost all that explosiveness away, and he refused to change up his game when he came back. At this point I think his issue is just as much mental as it was playing for Tom Thibodeau. Defensive guru or not, he kills guys careers by grinding them down with excessive minutes.

Oh, and Jason Kidd needs to go. Aside from riding Giannis way too hard, he can't coach. His offensive calls consist of either isolation plays hoping that Giannis will find a shot, or having a guard at the top of the key while the other four guys sort of shamble around the post to their set positions. Defensively, the Bucks should be one of the best teams in the league with plus defenders in Giannis, Bledsoe, Middelton, Henson, Snell, and Brogdon, but no. 99% of the time he instructs the guys to converge on the ball carrier, which leads to them chasing and leaving a wing open for an easy three or drive to the basket. Then when they don't end up chasing, the overuse the double team and the other defenders don't rotate to cover the passing lanes or corner shooters. People will point to his record and say he is decent, but Mark Jackson had a solid record by lucking into a talented team too. The minute Jackson was out and Kerr came in, he made GS way better because he can actually get the most out of the talent he has and not just rely on one or two big names to carry a team.

I agree with nearly everything you said except for 2 things:

CP3 was injured for most of the start of the season. He's been back for a few games now and they're playing even better than they were without him. I wouldn't have said anything if they were barely winning or their game was just the same or a little worse. The point is they're playing better with CP3. They're better defensively, getting more assists, and Harden is still dominating most of the scoring load. I think that they can only get better from here on.

I take a little issue with your Mark Jackson comment. Lets not act like the Warriors were a fringe playoff team that was going to get better and better no matter if Jackson came in or not cause that's not the case. Jackson was the one that got Curry to start playing to his absolute best potential. Jackson was the one that put Green and Thompson in their positions. It was under Jackson that the Warriors became a legit playoff team and started experiencing success. IMO, Jackson should've never been fired because he is the one that turned that team around. Especially defensively. Now don't get me wrong, Kerr is a great coach and I think he's done a helluva job. They've become the absolute best team in the league under Kerr. It was under Jackson, though, that they started to experience their first major successes and it wasn't just because they were talented. The only major change that Kerr made from the Jackson regime was moving Iggy to the bench.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back