2001 WWF (post-WCW buyout): Background checks on the following legends

TEIWCSCSAATBHPHASP

Pre-Show Stalwart
Q: "Who is the nicest wrestler and who is the most difficult wrestler to deal with backstage between Scott Hall, Curt Hennig and Scott Steiner; plus maybe "The Total Package" Lex Luger, Jeff Jarrett, Sycho Sid Vicious, "Macho Man" Randy Savage and Rick Steiner?"

When WCW was bought out by the WWF in early 2001, many people were interested in seeing Sting, Goldberg and Ric Flair (respected at the time, years before his personal politicial issues came to light and many people saw through his shenanigans and lavish lifestyle) as guys with pristine personal backstage reputation who could do no wrong in the eyes of WWF management and Vince McMahon.

They were also interested but somewhat leery in bringing back Hulk Hogan and Kevin Nash because of their past backstage reps in terms of backstage politics maneuvers and their previous business relationship with Vince McMahon. Hogan may have been under the IWC crossfire, but at least he was the guy who put the WWF and professional wrestling on the television map in 1984, and Nash was different than Hogan. However, Nash is someone who is more cutting edge, edgy and way cooler than Hogan. Hogan's best years were conducive to being a successful top draw for the WWF, whereas Nash's best years were stigmatised with lack of love from anyone other than The Kliq, Vince McMahon and Vince Russo.

WWF had interest in bringing back Scott Hall, Curt Hennig and Scott Steiner but were very leery of all three of them due to their bad reputations in the industry. Hennig more for his past injury problems since 1991, Hall for his alcoholism substance abuse issue since 1998 and Scott Steiner more for being seen as a divisive locker room malcontent/cancer, working for easy money, an attitude problem, someone who does NOT have the best personal reputation backstage, who is never afraid to openly speak his own mind and for being the most difficult to work with in the eyes of WWF and Vincent Kennedy McMahon, and likely because Vince cited the dying days of WCW in 2000-01 as when Scott Steiner's backstage attitude changed for the worst. Maybe Vince thinks Hall and Hennig are nicer than Scott Steiner in Vinnie's opinion.

And of the five of the rest of whom the WWF had absolute ZERO interest in bringing back,
-1) I think Randy Savage was near 50 and in Vince's eyes, Savage burned his bridges with the WWF in late-1994 after being saddled to commentary, yet he was a top babyface WWF draw in '88-'89 while Hogan was away doing No Holds Barred in 1988, but had a knee injury in 1998 that he could simply never recover from, as he not only changed his image and gimmick on his 1999 return, but he was also stiffer on his Flying Elbow Drop finishers to the point that his outside interference spots (at a time when run-ins were frowned upon in the nWo-era WCW) was absolutely necessary to ensure that Savage doesn't wind up stiffing his opponents, like sending Charles Robinson to the hospital with a punctured lung and Evan Karagias with an unknown injury too.
-2) Sid had all the talent in the world to be one of the pro wrestling greats, but his love for softball was his biggest problem, and that's why Sid was cited as an attitude problem malcontent who got into fights with Brian Pillman and Arn Anderson, and took the money and ran.
-3) Lex Luger was a former NFL player for the Green Bay Packers who many peers cited as difficult to work with, and he was actually the first (before The Kliq) wrestler to even have a guaranteed contract with guaranteed money, but nobody gives Lex credit more than they do for Hall and Nash, and fans think Luger (like Sid) wasn't dedicated enough to wrestling after 1991 with the whole Great American Bash '91 ordeal with the whole Jim Herd/Ric Flair debacle, and think he's all solely about the physique, nothing wrong with just showing off your sculptured muscles. Better than going all out in the ring and hurting yourself constantly anyday, yet his peers assumed Luger to be a total malcontent, but not in the way you're obsessed with winning championships, only that Luger was all about the money and didn't care where he was on the card. But the worst of him came in 1999 when he had a relationship with Miss Elizabeth, where he was heavily into drugs around the 1999-2001 time period. That, plus his acriminious departure from the WWF in 1995, Miss Elizabeth's 2003 death and his unimpressive TNA run being cited as reasons why Luger was rumored to have returned to WWE for the Evolution storyline but never signed on again.
-4) Jeff Jarrett's issue was that he's a vagabond wrestler (without Vince Russo's booking) who bounced around back and forth between WWF and WCW before 1998-99 ended with Jarrett holding Vince McMahon up for money on his final day in order to reunite with Russo in WCW, and that's cited as a reason why Jarrett burned his bridges with Vinnie Mac, so when WCW was bought out, Vince refused to bring back Jarrett.
-5) As for Rick Steiner, his value to his wrestling company eroded by 1998 when his brother Scott reinvented himself to become Big Poppa Pump. After that, Rick became messy, unsafe and dangerous to work with in the ring. But after Vince Russo came over to WCW in late 1999, Rick was probably a weekly healthy scratch, and probably lost his love for wrestling to prepare for his impending real estate career and also a job as a school board member of the Cherokee County School District, so he made that a habit to stiff the stuffings out of Lash LeRoux, Konnan and numerous other jobbers when he became a heat vacuum-type of heel exiting his glory days prime years.

I have never worked with any of your mentioned wrestlers backstage to be able to judge who the nicest or hardest to deal with one is backstage so to that question I have no idea.
Of the ones you mentioned that had burnt their bridges, If they could of made worthwhile money from them and could get them cheap enough I think they would bring anyone back,
If they can bring back names like Bret Hart, Jesse Ventura, Sable, Bruno Sammartino, Ultimate Warrior just to name a few after all their negativity, court cases etc towards WWE then they can bring back anyone.
during that time in 2001 a lot of the names were getting on in age and the WWE roster was quite packed anyway with the ones they did bring in from WCW as well as a few ECW talents and some new talent like Brock, Cena, Orton etc all debuting around this time.

Like the previous poster said we have no idea personally all we have go on on reputations, stories from other wrestler's, agents, executives etc...and from we saw with our own eyes.

As far as hardest to deal with I would say Scott Hall because you have the substance abuse issue to deal with. The others (Sid, Jarrett, Hennig, Steiner) may have had all their issues as far as backstage politics but Hall's delve into realm of possibly showing up "being in no condition to perform" unless he got his way. Case in point.

WrestleMania 18: Hall was told he was going over in his match against Austin. The day of the PPV (according to Hall and Nash) the finish is reversed and instead it's Stone Cold going over. Hall does the job but proceeds to engage in self-destructive behavior. According to both Hall and Nash, after bring told the finish was being reversed Hall said,"See you at the bar" meaning he was no longer abiding by his 'good boy" contract where he would consume alcohol. The star that broke the camel's back so to speak is the infamous "Plane Ride from Hell" where (according to Justin Credible) Hall has to removed from the plane in a wheelchair because he was so fucked up. Both Bischoff and McMahon have said Hall's substance abuse problems made him impossible to do business with. Bret Hart has called Scott Hall "a malcontent in the dressing room" who spread his unhappiness to other wrestler's. The fact that Vince McMahon didn't try to keep Scott Hall after he was approached by WCW speaks volumes.

As far as the one he didn't bring back:

Randy Savage. I don't think Savage had any interest in going back to the WWF. The road schedule was still pretty stiff in 2001 and I don't think he wanted any part of that.

Sid: Remember Sid suffered a gruesome injury in 2000 and his career or all intents and purposes was over.

Lex Luger: Like you said, Luger's run as any kind of top draw was pretty much over by 2001 and arguably earlier when he was put into a tag team w/ Bagwell.

Jeff Jarrett: Do we really need to go there?

Rick Steiner: LOL he didn't want Rick Steiner in 1994 he sure as hell wouldn't want him in 2001.

@Makaveli31 Hall had a 2002 WWF contract in which he would do 10 shows a month and his incentivized good boy contract required him to take Antabuse (a pill that would make him when he's around alcohol). But I think Vince modified Hall's 2002 WWF contract to working 20+ shows a month more than the WM18 finish change that once again set Hall off the wagon leading up to the Plane Ride from Hell incident.

However, I think Hall being granted custody of his two kids meant he had to care for them so he left WWF after returning from the United Kingdom tour representing the Raw brand as part of the nWo alongside Kevin Nash, X-Pac and Big Show.

Well according to Hall, the contract was never modified it was more like "Well, we're gearing up for WrestleMania we really need you....after WrestleMania it'll revert back to 10 dates.....then it was something else (The Insurrection PPV) etc....and basically Hall ended up working 24 days out of a 30 day month w/ kids at home. So he was fed up with WWE and they were fed up with him by that time. Hall says Jim Ross called him after the "Plane Ride" and said something to the effect of "This isn't working out" and Hall said "How about I was done yesterday."

@Makaveli31

We already knew Scott Steiner was on thin ice when he returned to the WWE in late 2002, and Vince probably cited the 2000-01 era of WCW as when Steiner's backstage attitude changed for the worst when he trashed Flair, DDP and Kimberly in shoot promos via live mic. Although ultimately, Steiner's main issue in WWE wound up being plagued with drop foot for his entire WWE run from 2002 to 2004, ending in release and subsequent surgery. I really think Vince and WWE see him as a rebel who has a hard time fitting in to the corporate structure of WWF/E (WWF went public in 1999) and had to play nice backstage in order to have one last shot at a main event run.

Being the ONLY game in town probably helped too. It was either play ball or go back to the Indy's. Like you said Vince had little tolerance for Steiner's BS (or anyone from WCW for that matter.) Although Steiner did say they wanted him to take a drug test and he said "send the limo w/ HHH and I'll take the test." LOL I don't know how true that is. I have a feeling Steiner took the test w/o HHH.

@Makaveli31

And look who's in the Hall of Fame concerning the WCW guys heading into the time WWF already bought out WCW:

Sting, Flair, Hogan, Nash, Hall, Hennig and Savage are now WWE Hall of Famers under the WWE Hall of Fame umbrella because Vince saw them as exceptional performers, so much that Vince was willing to overlook any of their backstage shenanigans.

Vince McMahon would've said "If only Scott Steiner performed exceptionally in 2002-2004 like he did from 1988 to 1994 when he was just Scott Steiner aka Rick's Little Brother rather than that Big Poppa Pump diatribe he became at the end, I could let him get away with his backstage shenanigans if only he hadn't pissed away his wrestling ability and overall career trajectory to steroids and BPP." That's why Vince is never going to induct Scott Steiner, let alone The Steiner Brothers for their wrestling contributions, and it's all because Vince hates a guy who openly expresses his own mind too much in Vince's opinion, look at Bret and Warrior, both of them eventually got inducted to the HoF after they mended the fences on their respective problems with Vince and WWE. I have a feeling Goldberg, Sid, Jarrett and Luger are gonna be the next ones inducted to the WWE Hall of Fame before Scott Steiner ever will, so Vince probably felt Steiner was the most difficult of the lot to deal with, given that Steiner is never afraid to openly speak his own mind, so in Vince's eyes, Steiner is an outspoken divisive voice who Vince sees as a rather controversial, mercurial cancer in the WWE locker room, because (again, in Vince's eyes) at least Hall and Hennig and maybe Luger to some degree are nicer than Scott Steiner.

But in the end, I think Scott Steiner already has a happy ending anyway. He now owns and operates a Shoney's Restaurant franchise in the Georgia state area, and former wrestlers who attended the grand opening ceremony were Rick Steiner, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Buff Bagwell and Jeff Jarrett. Scott's already saved his money after wrestling than Hogan and Flair did, while Hogan and Flair have already struggled financially with Hogan losing a whole heap ton of money from his WWF and WCW days to Linda, while Flair is in even worse with his failed multiple marriages plus the divorce settlements plus spending in bar taverns living his own Four Horsemen-esque Nature Boy lifestyle. We thought Hogan would at least be smarter in saving his money more so than Flair, probably because Hogan at least doesn't get too boozed up on alcohol or shed real tears 24/7 like Flair always did, but Hogan (although not his fault personally) turned out to be just as financially irresponsible as Flair was.

That's why Vince is never going to induct Scott Steiner.

lol if Koko B Ware can get inducted anybody can, let alone a legit legend like Big Poppa Pump and especially the Steiner bros, sure Scott has pushed that HOF entry back by threatening to kill Hogan to his wife at the airport that one year but mark my words; it WILL happen

Sting, Flair, Hogan, Nash, Hall, Hennig and Savage are now WWE Hall of Famers under the WWE Hall of Fame umbrella because Vince saw them as exceptional performers, so much that Vince was willing to overlook any of their backstage shenanigans.

Well it also helped that they were on good terms with WWE and signed that bullshit "Legends" contract which basically says we'll give you a bullshit "HOF" ring and we own your rights so we can put out countless DVD's about your career and you have to make appearances on our programming. Oh yeah, No Indy dates or signings around our four biggest PPV's (Rumble, WM, SummerSlam, and Survivor Series) it might work well for some guys who ONLY rely on WWE income but like you said Steiner has always been independent. I don't think he has any love for Vince or HHH and the feeling is probably mutual. In fact, I think Steiner is banned from attending any HOF ceremony because of threats he made against Hogan and his wife. So no, I don't think we'll see the Steiners in the HOF anytime soon and I'm not holding my breath for Sid, Double J, or Bagwell either LOL.

so Vince probably felt Steiner was the most difficult of the lot to deal with, given that Steiner is never afraid to openly speak his own mind, so in Vince's eyes, Steiner is an outspoken divisive voice who Vince sees as a rather controversial, mercurial cancer in the WWE locker room, because (again, in Vince's eyes) at least Hall and Hennig and maybe Luger to some degree are nicer than Scott Steiner.

Well Steiner only became that way because of the permissive nature of the WCW front office. They were either 1) Scared of him or 2) kissed his ass Vince was neither. I'll bet Vince had heart to heart with Steiner BEFORE he came in and read the riot act. I don't know if that qualifies as "difficult" to deal with. As far as I know Steiner didn't cause any problems in WWE. Certainly not on the level of say Hall or Bagwell.

@Makaveli31

And I think Rick Steiner was looked at as the more saner Steiner Brother than the talented but volatile and rather controversial Scott Steiner. Rick is more of a teddy bear kind of personality and comes off as someone who people would like to have a laugh and joke around with. And I think Rick seems more infinitely reasonable than Scott, according to many critics of the Steiner Brothers (especially Scott). If Vince's critical blackballed list only cites 'speaking your own mind openly expressively' as a no-no to him, then for that alone, I don't see Rick speaking his own mind as openly expressive as Scott often does.

Q: "Who is the nicest wrestler and who is the most difficult wrestler to deal with backstage between Scott Hall, Curt Hennig and Scott Steiner; plus maybe "The Total Package" Lex Luger, Jeff Jarrett, Sycho Sid Vicious, "Macho Man" Randy Savage and Rick Steiner?

I don't believe anyone here was ever backstage to know for sure.

But going off of what those who were backstage have said? It probably depends on the type of person you are:

note that I wasn't back there. Everything below is based entirely on what I've read about, or heard of these individuals.

- Hall didn't seem to give a shit about anyone who couldn't help him personally, and sounded like he was a bit of a natural bully.

- Hennig was basically a frat boy with a bit of a sadistic sense of humor. He took his craft very seriously, and if you did too, then he had all the respect in the world for you and would seem like a great guy. If you didn't, you were probably going to be on the receiving end of a rib that some would say was just more being an asshole than being funny

- Luger actually sounded like he was easy enough to get along with as long as you could get past the fact that the guy was pretty full of himself. Didn't seem to hold grudges or was malicious at all. Just one of those guys who thought very highly of themselves.

- Jarrett was one of the boys, but could be a bit of a snake at times too. Things like when he held up McMahon for a big payday to drop the IC title to Chyna probably pissed some guys off, and earned the respect of others. Him and his family employed so many of the boys over the years that many would have respected and appreciated him... especially for living their life while doing so. Others though, would have held resentment over bad (or perceived bad) business dealings.

- Sid was... to be nice... an airhead. There is actually an urban legend about the guy once putting a squirrel down his pants ffs. Don't think he was the type of guy to ever have too many problems with the boys (stabbing fights with Arn Anderson notwithstanding). Probably would have been alright to hang out with.

- Savage was intense, but highly respected. Very highly respected. Undertaker levels of high respect. How would you have dealt with him backstage? Until you got to know him, you would have been nervous to approach because the guy had that type of aura about him. Like Hennig, he took his craft very seriously. If you did too, then he respected you. If you crossed him... then it took a lot to get back into his good graces... if that was even possible.

- Rick Steiner... I think was seen as a bit of a bully like his brother, but also one of the boys and the type of guy that you either loved or hated. If you hated him though, you were probably a little scared of him and would keep it to yourself.

I'm a little confused by something in this thread though, because it's the second time I've seen it on this board in the last few days. Since when did McMahon want nothing to do with Rick Steiner in the 90's? I know that he thought better of Scott and saw him as a future singles star, but I've never heard anywhere that he didn't want Rick at all? It doesn't make sense either, because after employing them as a tag team for a little while, he would have had to have realized how close the brothers were, and that Scott wasn't likely going to stay at the expense of his brother being unemployed... no matter how high he could have gone. He would have found something for Rick, if for no other reason, than to secure Scott.

Where did all that come from?

When WCW was bought out by the WWF in early 2001, many people were interested in seeing Sting, Goldberg and Ric Flair (respected at the time, years before his personal politicial issues came to light and many people saw through his shenanigans and lavish lifestyle) as guys with pristine personal backstage reputation who could do no wrong in the eyes of WWF management and Vince McMahon.

Don't kid yourself. Flair still has mad respect. A few online smarts who think they're funnier than they really are doesn't change that.

They were also interested but somewhat leery in bringing back Hulk Hogan and Kevin Nash because of their past backstage reps in terms of backstage politics maneuvers and their previous business relationship with Vince McMahon. Hogan may have been under the IWC crossfire, but at least he was the guy who put the WWF and professional wrestling on the television map in 1984, and Nash was different than Hogan. However, Nash is someone who is more cutting edge, edgy and way cooler than Hogan. Hogan's best years were conducive to being a successful top draw for the WWF, whereas Nash's best years were stigmatised with lack of love from anyone other than The Kliq, Vince McMahon and Vince Russo.

Considering HHH's influence was growing at this time... I don't think he was too hesitant about bringing back one of his closest friends in the world (Nash). And McMahon, despite the on again/off again nature of his relationship with Hogan... had worked with the man as closely as anyone else ever had for the majority of his adult life. Again, likely not too worried about online reports from WCW considering how well he personally knew the man, and how intimate their working relationship was.

-1) I think Randy Savage was near 50 and in Vince's eyes, Savage burned his bridges with the WWF in late-1994 after being saddled to commentary, yet he was a top babyface WWF draw in '88-'89 while Hogan was away doing No Holds Barred in 1988, but had a knee injury in 1998 that he could simply never recover from, as he not only changed his image and gimmick on his 1999 return, but he was also stiffer on his Flying Elbow Drop finishers to the point that his outside interference spots (at a time when run-ins were frowned upon in the nWo-era WCW) was absolutely necessary to ensure that Savage doesn't wind up stiffing his opponents, like sending Charles Robinson to the hospital with a punctured lung and Evan Karagias with an unknown injury too.

Savage was basically done at this point, but I think this was probably more Savage not wanting to return than the other way around. To this day, no one really knows what happened with Savage/WWE. I honestly believed that it was more Savage being principled than anything else. McMahon would have known exactly how much money he could make with the return of one of his biggest stars ever.

I'm a little confused by something in this thread though, because it's the second time I've seen it on this board in the last few days. Since when did McMahon want nothing to do with Rick Steiner in the 90's? I know that he thought better of Scott and saw him as a future singles star, but I've never heard anywhere that he didn't want Rick at all? It doesn't make sense either, because after employing them as a tag team for a little while, he would have had to have realized how close the brothers were, and that Scott wasn't likely going to stay at the expense of his brother being unemployed... no matter how high he could have gone. He would have found something for Rick, if for no other reason, than to secure Scott.

Where did all that come from?

Well it wasn't that Vince didn't "want" Rick, they came over as a package deal but I'm sure he envisioned Scott splitting with his brother some time down the future. I'm sure he would've found something for Rick, (probably a Marty Jannetty-type situation) I was just making the point that if McMahon wasn't crazy about Rick in 1993 he sure wouldn't be crazy about him in 2001.

Well it wasn't that Vince didn't "want" Rick, they came over as a package deal but I'm sure he envisioned Scott splitting with his brother some time down the future. I'm sure he would've found something for Rick, (probably a Marty Jannetty-type situation) I was just making the point that if McMahon wasn't crazy about Rick in 1993 he sure wouldn't be crazy about him in 2001.

By 2001 Rick Steiner, for all intents and purposes, was done.

I know he still did tours of Japan, worked indy's occasionally, and did some shots with TNA, but as any type of draw on the WWE scale there wasn't anything left for him by then... at least at the type of price he would have commanded. Although to be honest, he probably would have been useful to have during the Invasion angle... just for name value alone.

I was just curious because it's been mentioned twice on here recently that McMahon didn't even want Rick back in the early 90's... and that's just something I'd never heard before. Just wondering if it was just opinion, or if there was anything behind it?

In my eyes the only top stars WWF really needed from WCW for Invasion to work were: Goldberg, Sting, Booker T, DDP, Scott Steiner and Ric Flair.

Ric Flair being the leader, because he was well respected and was WCW from the very begining, so people would believe that.

Sting always was the symbol of WCW and could work ok to good matches.

Goldberg was the biggest WCW made star.

DDP was their best worker, who could cut a good promo and make opponents look good.

Steiner, Booker T and Big Show could be the new nWo. Steiner was portrayed as the monster in the dying WCW and could be a leader. Booker T and Big Show could work as new version of Outsiders (tag team). All 3 were top stars in WCW, so they look strong enough. Yeah, they are not Hogan/Hall/Nash, but we talking about 2001, not 1996 here. In 2001 people worked much harder than in 1996, and original nWo trio created so many problems in WCW and had so bad reputation, that i think nobody will really be against it. Put Bischoff as their manager, so they can look more legit and make them the third side instead of ECW. Basically the original idea of nWo will be there, but with better/younger/more easy to work with performers (1 Steiner over all 3 Hogan/Nash/Hall is a really good trade any way you look at this)

For minor stars i will bring in WCW's cruiserweight division: Mysterio!, Kidman, Helms, Chavo, Malenko (who really did nothing in WWF), Ultimo Dragon, Juventud.

I will also bring in Storm, Awesome, Palumbo and O'Haire.

So in the end you have a small, but strong enough WCW and nWo under your banner and people you sign can work in the ring, so you only make your product better. Noone else deserved a contract with WWF in 2001.

The Invasion would have worked out great if they brought in even just four of these names

Sting
Goldberg
Booker T
Diamond Dallas Page
Ric Flair
Eric Bischoff

Booker T and DDP were already in the WWE at 2001 but now if you add two more that would have been enough top stars for a legit WCW vs. WWF Invasion angle.

Sid already had his WWF run and it was spotty at best, Steiner was a great heel but I think WWE was worried about his health and sanity, and Savage was showing his age even moreso than Hogan and Flair at the time.

WWE was very interested in Hogan, Flair, Sting, Goldberg, Booker T. They had somewhat less interest (marginal) in Hall & Nash.

Luger didnt draw significant interest because he had become so dissatisfied with WCW he was out of shape & injury prone, plus underlying substance abuse issues. Luger's brief appearances in TNA didnt help, he looked bad in the ring & out of shape. The Liz incident was 2003, more than 2 years after the buyout, if Luger had shown more interest he most certainly would have been signed. The fact Luger has had steady employment with WWE in retirement working behind the scenes with their drug program shows that despite other issues WWE likes him.

Henning's problem wasnt injury, it was drugs. He also had a well known rep for cocaine & alcohol abuse, sometimes affecting his work (like showing up clearly drunk on Nitro the week before Starrcade 97). Unlike talent such as Hall & Nash Curt Henning wasnt considered as big a draw so he got a much shorter leash.

Hall basically got a deal because of Nash. Nash never was known for letting substance abuse ruin his performance, and WWE was much stronger behind the scenes than WCW making his alleged "locker room & creative issues" much less an issue (same with Hogan). Hall was warned coming in he was on "probation" and he failed. Henning just wasnt considered as valuable so when his drinking and behavior (including trying to shoot with Lesnar during an airplane trip) he was quietly dismissed.

Note Nash stayed for quite sometime, until continued knee injury issues lead to his release. He remained in good terms with the company though, and was even a special guest in Vince's private box at Mania 24 to watch the HBK-Flair match.

Steiner's issues were clearly behavior, he had a rep back in the early 90s for disrespecting talent, which grew much worse late in the decade, most notably with DDP who he assaulted back stage. Steiner was also on a "probation" deal and although he reportedly wasnt overly friendly with HHH & HBK his main issue was in ring performance, he clearly had lost a few steps and didnt have the charisma to overcome it and continue to be entertaining.

WWE wanted to keep Goldberg, he opted to retire . Although GB wasnt thrilled with his WWE time he was consistently booked at the top of the card, won most of his matches, and had a World Title run. Clearly WWE was invested in him, it was his choice to leave.

WWE was initially high on DDP but a back injury ended his career shortly after signing. He likely would have had a long run if not for that.

Hogan of course was treated as a legend and pretty much worked when he wanted, even being granted one last World Title run. Like Nash, he would have been signed much earlier but both men chose to let their Time Warner deals expire before signing new deals with WWE. They both (Goldberg too) knew WWE wanted them and WWE knew that when the lucrative TW deals expired they were only place to go, so both sides patiently waited.

Savage was asked back and declined, more than once. Eventually he did consent to a Legends Deal to get an action figure & DVD release but it was Savage choice not to return.

Sting situation is well documented (didnt want the work load & travel).

Flair, despite his marital & money issues (many of which are overblown) always had a rep as a stand up guy behind the scenes, follows the script, loses when asked, puts over younger talent, all of which continued during his run. Age got the best of him (he was 58 at Mania 24) although he has continued in various roles with the company ever since, pretty much whenever he wanted.

WWE was very interested in Hogan, Flair, Sting, Goldberg, Booker T. They had somewhat less interest (marginal) in Hall & Nash.

Luger didnt draw significant interest because he had become so dissatisfied with WCW he was out of shape & injury prone, plus underlying substance abuse issues. Luger's brief appearances in TNA didnt help, he looked bad in the ring & out of shape. The Liz incident was 2003, more than 2 years after the buyout, if Luger had shown more interest he most certainly would have been signed. The fact Luger has had steady employment with WWE in retirement working behind the scenes with their drug program shows that despite other issues WWE likes him.

Hennig's problem wasnt injury, it was drugs. He also had a well known rep for cocaine & alcohol abuse, sometimes affecting his work (like showing up clearly drunk on Nitro the week before Starrcade 97). Unlike talent such as Hall & Nash Curt Hennig wasn't considered as big a draw so he got a much shorter leash.

Hall basically got a deal because of Nash. Nash never was known for letting substance abuse ruin his performance, and WWE was much stronger behind the scenes than WCW making his alleged "locker room & creative issues" much less an issue (same with Hogan). Hall was warned coming in he was on "probation" and he failed. Henning just wasnt considered as valuable so when his drinking and behavior (including trying to shoot with Lesnar during an airplane trip) he was quietly dismissed.

Note Nash stayed for quite sometime, until continued knee injury issues lead to his release. He remained in good terms with the company though, and was even a special guest in Vince's private box at Mania 24 to watch the HBK-Flair match.

Steiner's issues were clearly behavior, he had a rep back in the early 90s for disrespecting talent, which grew much worse late in the decade, most notably with DDP who he assaulted back stage. Steiner was also on a "probation" deal and although he reportedly wasnt overly friendly with HHH & HBK his main issue was in ring performance, he clearly had lost a few steps and didnt have the charisma to overcome it and continue to be entertaining.

WWE wanted to keep Goldberg, he opted to retire . Although GB wasnt thrilled with his WWE time he was consistently booked at the top of the card, won most of his matches, and had a World Title run. Clearly WWE was invested in him, it was his choice to leave.

WWE was initially high on DDP but a back injury ended his career shortly after signing. He likely would have had a long run if not for that.

Hogan of course was treated as a legend and pretty much worked when he wanted, even being granted one last World Title run. Like Nash, he would have been signed much earlier but both men chose to let their Time Warner deals expire before signing new deals with WWE. They both (Goldberg too) knew WWE wanted them and WWE knew that when the lucrative TW deals expired they were only place to go, so both sides patiently waited.

Savage was asked back and declined, more than once. Eventually he did consent to a Legends Deal to get an action figure & DVD release but it was Savage choice not to return.

Sting situation is well documented (didnt want the work load & travel).

Flair, despite his marital & money issues (many of which are overblown) always had a rep as a stand up guy behind the scenes, follows the script, loses when asked, puts over younger talent, all of which continued during his run. Age got the best of him (he was 58 at Mania 24) although he has continued in various roles with the company ever since, pretty much whenever he wanted.

@FlairFan2003 And look where we are today. Sting, Flair, Hogan, Nash, Hall, Hennig and Savage are now Hall of Famers, while Goldberg, Luger and maybe Sid should be Hall of Famers in the near future.

That leaves Scott Steiner as the biggest HOF snub of them all, probably because Vince McMahon hates dealing with his non-conformist attitude backstage, and of the three guys who had cast themselves with bad reputations in the wrestling industry worse than Hogan and Nash could ever dream to be, minus the money making aspect of their monster talents, Vince probably felt Steiner was the most difficult to deal with than Hall and Hennig.

Hennig got the WWE HOF nod in 2005 because of how much of a special performer he was in the NWA and the WWF before injuries made him appear in and out for the rest of his career, only two years after he died in 2003 from a cocaine overdose. Nobody noticed that after his TNA stint, Hennig was supposed to come back to the WWE in late 2002 if they were building up a real-life feud with Lesnar.

Hall got the WWE HOF nod in 2014 for finally overcoming his alcoholism with the help of DDP Yoga conducted by Diamond Dallas Page and Jake "The Snake" Roberts, although he was supposed to be inducted earlier than that, it was likely that Hall's ongoing alcoholism since 1998 must've held him back from potential greatness. Sure, Hall's a bit of a bully backstage, but he's never the type to play politics like his fellow Kliq contemporaries HBK, HHH and Nash, and Vince probably felt that Hall's not a Steiner-like bully. Hennig definitely had the nicer reputation between him, Hall and Steiner, since Hennig backstage was sort of like an Owen Hart-type prankster whom many peers respected.

If Vince didn't like what he saw in Steiner's in-ring performance in 2002, it's likely that he probably felt that he doesn't even like the entire Big Poppa Pump heel gimmick that Steiner cultivated from 1998 to 2001-02, like Vince would think Scott's a borderline menace to society with that gimmick. In fact, I can tell Vince wanted the old collegiate babyface Scotty Steiner back, since VKM got his hopes up that Big Poppa Pump was only for the Attitude Era. But I suppose The Big Bad Booty Daddy was most famous for the Attitude Era. And not to mention, Vince probably thought Scott pissed away his in-ring monster talents in various ways (ie: injuries, attitude issues) for the Big Poppa Pump gimmick. Anyway, Scott Steiner now runs a Shoney's restaurant in the Georgia area, home of his old stomping grounds in WCW during his wrestling heyday, where he got Rick, Hall, Nash, Bagwell and Jarrett to come up for his grand opening.

@FlairFan2003 And look where we are today. Sting, Flair, Hogan, Nash, Hall, Hennig and Savage are now Hall of Famers, while Goldberg, Luger and maybe Sid should be Hall of Famers in the near future.

That leaves Scott Steiner as the biggest HOF snub of them all

I suspect Henning got in posthumously but in because despite substance issues he did not have a bad rep for working with talent behind the scenes.

Sid to me is not HOF material. He was constantly fired time & again for a variety of bad for business moves, such as WM 8 & The Hotel Stabbing, but he also was a lazy worker (with a rep for no showing matches so he could play in his soft ball league) and a very one dimensional character. Yes, there are others who basically played one character their entire career with little change or nuance in the HOF (Steamboat, Zybysko, Bruno) but the rest of their resumes dont have anywhere near the blemishes of Sid.

Steiner I am not a fan of personally, but when yoh combine the success he & Rick had as a team with his NwO run circa Big Poppa Pump (which was insanely over in 98 & 99) his body of work merits induction. However, he has been so nasty to Vince, HBK, HHH, Flair & Hogan I cant see WWE even being willing to give him a microphone!. I know that HHH worked hard behind the scenes to mend fences between WWE & U-Warrior as well as B. Sammartino, but Steiner was never on par with them star wise. Warrior was a huge star & one of the most memorable characters to come out of the 1980s, even if the bulk of his career was short. Sammartino was the champion they built the company on!!! Steiner realistically was a 2nd tier star most of his career (in tag teams no less) with great in ring work & little gimmick, who VERY BRIEFLY reinvigorated himself with a great gimmick and joined the top tier of the industry. He just doesnt based on his career and his anti WWE family bashing deserve the same kind of out reach that UW & Bruno got. If he hadnt gone so far out of his way to insult and belittle so many people then yes, I would have no issue putting him in.

Lex Luger had a much better career than Steiner & clearly deserves induction but I think the spectre of Elizabeth's death is something WWE doesnt want rehashed in the media if he were ever inducted. He has worked behind the scenes and was even in the crowd when The Four Horsemen were inducted, but the potential for negative press coverage re hashing Liz I think keeps him out of the HOF.

Ole Anderson for that matter should have gone in with The Horsemen but he has maintained a very nasty attitude towards Vince & WWE (and been pretty insulting to Flair, Arn, Dusty Rhodes, and I think Sting too). He was supposedly approached informally about the induction to gauge his attitude & it was pretty negative so he was left off.

Realistically, I would leave Sid out, his body of work and laundry list of negatives preclude him....

Induct The NwO as a group and include Hogan, Hall, Nash, Steiner, & Bischoff as the key players

I would have included Ole with Horsemen and maybe Luger....

If Luger wasnt part of The Horsemen induction I would have given him one on his own.

That's just me though

I suspect Henning got in posthumously but in because despite substance issues he did not have a bad rep for working with talent behind the scenes.

Sid to me is not HOF material. He was constantly fired time & again for a variety of bad for business moves, such as WM 8 & The Hotel Stabbing, but he also was a lazy worker (with a rep for no showing matches so he could play in his soft ball league) and a very one dimensional character. Yes, there are others who basically played one character their entire career with little change or nuance in the HOF (Steamboat, Zybysko, Bruno) but the rest of their resumes dont have anywhere near the blemishes of Sid.

Steiner I am not a fan of personally, but when yoh combine the success he & Rick had as a team with his NwO run circa Big Poppa Pump (which was insanely over in 98 & 99) his body of work merits induction. However, he has been so nasty to Vince, HBK, HHH, Flair & Hogan I cant see WWE even being willing to give him a microphone!. I know that HHH worked hard behind the scenes to mend fences between WWE & U-Warrior as well as B. Sammartino, but Steiner was never on par with them star wise. Warrior was a huge star & one of the most memorable characters to come out of the 1980s, even if the bulk of his career was short. Sammartino was the champion they built the company on!!! Steiner realistically was a 2nd tier star most of his career (in tag teams no less) with great in ring work & little gimmick, who VERY BRIEFLY reinvigorated himself with a great gimmick and joined the top tier of the industry. He just doesnt based on his career and his anti WWE family bashing deserve the same kind of out reach that UW & Bruno got. If he hadnt gone so far out of his way to insult and belittle so many people then yes, I would have no issue putting him in.

Lex Luger had a much better career than Steiner & clearly deserves induction but I think the spectre of Elizabeth's death is something WWE doesnt want rehashed in the media if he were ever inducted. He has worked behind the scenes and was even in the crowd when The Four Horsemen were inducted, but the potential for negative press coverage re hashing Liz I think keeps him out of the HOF.

Ole Anderson for that matter should have gone in with The Horsemen but he has maintained a very nasty attitude towards Vince & WWE (and been pretty insulting to Flair, Arn, Dusty Rhodes, and I think Sting too). He was supposedly approached informally about the induction to gauge his attitude & it was pretty negative so he was left off.

Realistically, I would leave Sid out, his body of work and laundry list of negatives preclude him....

Induct The NwO as a group and include Hogan, Hall, Nash, Steiner, & Bischoff as the key players

I would have included Ole with Horsemen and maybe Luger....

If Luger wasnt part of The Horsemen induction I would have given him one on his own.

That's just me though

@FlairFan2003 Scott Steiner was destined to become a superstar as early as the early 1990s, but backstage politics, injuries and media heresay about his attitude problems changed his career trajectory from star to role player and social media didn’t exist back then. With society being politically correct, do you really think today’s social media hates him because he is anti-PC speaking his own mind. Look at Steve "Sting" Borden, I don't see Sting holding so much ill will towards Bischoff and McMahon because Sting's probably not a repulsive human being as the non-conformist who pissed away his monster talents in various ways and has a hard time fitting into wrestling companies such as Memphis, NWA/WCW, WWF/E and TNA.

Scott Steiner was a talented wrestler, undoubtedly, but maybe it was his attitude but he never seemed to buy into drawing fans into the seats in arena crowds or working as a company guy and a wrestler. For example, there's almost no reason for a wrestler to go into the business for himself doing nothing but shoot promos. He often seemed like he was playing for numbers and his reputation of being a superstar crybaby diva (even with Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Triple H, Vince McMahon and Eric Bischoff running the show) seems to support this. There's a reason that Scott Steiner essentially became MUCH,......MUCH more WORTHLESS than Diamond Dallas Page, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Curt Hennig, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Hulk Hogan, Lex Luger, Randy Savage, Sycho Sid Vicious, Jeff Jarrett, Ric Flair, Sting, Bill Goldberg, Booker T, Stevie Ray and even his older brother Rick Steiner. Eventually, Scott Steiner will be labelled as the type of wrestler who disrupted the flow of whatever wrestling companies he's been in. Even as a veteran with a respectable skill set, most wrestling companies have learned to stop caring and shipping him off to other wrestling companies just as they seem to get really disappointed in Scott Steiner real quick each time he wears out his welcome. His attitude, his arrogance, his criticisms whenever he didn't get his way on the wrestling companies he worked for ... he just never seemed like a team player.

Scott Steiner wanted a big salary, Scott Steiner wanted to be a star and Scott Steiner wanted to be on a wrestling company that was a winning company.. but Scott Steiner rarely seemed to shut up and play ball. Not only that, but Steiner engaged in some accused violent behavior. Scott's feuds with Hogan, Flair, DDP, HHH, Michaels, Vince, Bischoff, Bill Watts and Stephanie didn't help his cause. So sorry, but Scott Steiner's a lost cause and if you want to read a dictionary that decides who is the biggest wrestler to have pissed away his monster talents in various ways, Scott would have to be at the top of the list. And Scott Steiner is also forever gonna be known as someone who NOT to be as a professional wrestler. Future wrestlers looking to make a mark for himself shall not dare to be blackballed the way Steiner has. Konnan even did a shoot interview where he warned Steiner that his temper will one day land him in jail like Dylann Roof.

BOTTOM LINE: "Scott Steiner's just an example of those one-trick pony second-tier wrestlers who has too much of an ego and let it get to his head in my opinion. He is either a Donald Trump, an Alex Jones or he is an Elliot Rodger. Scott Steiner is just a BAD SEED." ~ says Smark

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back