2000's Bracket Round 1 Match 11-11)Crash vs. 22)Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Which is the better movie?

• Crash

• Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Results are only viewable after voting.

Papa Shango

Frontman of the WZ Band!!
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 2000's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 11

Crash
6crash.jpg

vs.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Eternal_Sunshine.jpg

These are both very offbeat films. If you're looking for a normal film with either of these, you're in the wrong place. Overall, I'll take Crash due to my dislike of Jim Carrey in any kind of role. Crash beat out Brokeback Mountain for best picture. THat has to mean a lot. I'll take Crash due to its style of putting a lot of stories together into a story that all fits. That's hard to do, but it works here.

Damn. This is the hardest one yet.

On on hand, you have "Crash", which is a tremendous picture with shocker after shocker and great performance after great performance. And then you have "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", which is one of the most intelligent films I've ever seen.

It's too hard to choose. I'm going to see what others have to say and see if any of them can persuade me to vote one way or the other. But for now, I’m neutral.

The results for this one has the potential to make me so sad.

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind is one of the greatest films ever. Period. It's screenplay is pure genius, every performance is spot on and adds to the story immensely, it contains some of the neatest non-cgi special effects I've ever seen, and everytime you watch it it completely immerses you in its world and you are constantly able to notice something new. If you have not seen it, see it now.

Crash was good. When I saw it the first time, I was blown away by some of its twists and revelations. But that's really all it was. A bunch of plot twists. I've had no desire to watch it again (although I did once just because it was on). The characters are all stereotypes and aren't really developed (dirty cop, racist rich woman, and misunderstood black youth? Check, check, and check). The movies theme is "racism is bad" and it doesn't really have much to say beyond that. It is quite the experience the first time you see it, and I commend it for that, but it really doesn't hold a candle to Eternal Sunshine.

ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND

I'm going with Eternal Sunshine for all the same reasons as this Pickle fellow. But I do feel the need to defend Crash for a moment.

Crash has a great screenplay, very well developed and powerful, and it's theme surrounding race is much broader than people realize. Many of the characters go through such major revelations. The car fire scene in my opinion is simply phenomenal, and the pivotal moment in the film for Matt Dillon's character, who I felt so deserved the Oscar over George Clooney for Syriana (which was boring and pretentious as hell!). It's a film that despite it's common theme (SO many movies deal with race), this one really makes you think hard. Script was great, direction was well-done, and the performances shined. Even Brendan Frazer turned in a good performance. Crash deserved it's Oscar.

But the fact is, Eternal Sunshine is just a step above Crash in every way. Each performance is great, especially Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet and Mark Ruffalo, who was hilarious. The screenplay is fantastic, Charlie Kaufman best behind Being John Malkovich, which can't be bested. Overall, Eternal Sunshine is just flat out the best romance movie of the decade.

Eternal Sunshine is weird. It would turn off just as many people as it would intrest. Crash isn't as good as the Oscar would suggest. But it's a safe film. Give it to most people and they probably wouldn't say they hated it. But if you did a test like that with Eternal Sunshine the results would probably be 50/50.

Yeah I think Jake has why I would vote for Crash. It is a lot easier to like. It did have a lot of people talking about how great it was, and I wont say it wasn't great, but say it was deiffantly good. I do love the set up to movies like Crash, they just seem to keep you into the movie. Perfect movie to watch with some friends, to keep them from getting restless. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind should have had someone else besides Jim Carrey as the star. I find it hard to take his movies too seriously. Crash wins out here for me.

I know that this one is already closed, but I just want to point something out. I can never understand the immediate dismissal of this film because it is "wierd". All it does is put a series of scenes out of order and shows the relationship between Joel and Clem unfold backwards. Not that weird, just standard post-90's film techniques.

I guarentee if these same techniques were used in a film about two mafia hitmen or a vengeful but forgettful widow that shoots everybody, it would have made it through without question. Oh wait....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back