Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1980's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 3
Die Hard
die_hard_01.jpg

Vs.

Wall Street
WallStreet.jpg

I'm going with the upset in this one. Wall Street is one of the most underrated movies ever. It answers the question, "Why does Charlie Sheen keep getting work?" This movie was perfect in every way. It symbloized the 80's in every way. The themes of greed, fall from grace, and redemption are all very real, and thus, call upon very real emotions.

Die Hard fits the big budget action thriller to a T. That being said, I can never remember whether a plot device came from Die Hard or Lethal Weapon, and I never feel inspired to look it up. The first one in the series may not even be the best. I like the movie, but Wall Street is something important to me.

Wall Street.

Don't get me wrong, Die Hard was a good enough action / thrilled to spawn a lot of good sequels and a legendary protagonist. But for my money, Lethal Weapon was better than Die Hard anyway.

Wall Street is one of the classiest films ever made, and Michael Douglas is in rare form. The "Greed is Good" speech is one of the most iconic and legendary monolouges in film history and the fact that Martin Sheen played Charlie Sheen's father - loved that little drop in. Wall Street was a classic, and I even loved it's 90's Spin Off "Boiler Room."

Wall Street takes this one.

I love both movies. But Wall Street has one scene that is truly memorable. One character. Die Hard is legendary as a whole. In fact, it was my original choice for the Number One seed in this bracket. John McClane and Hans Gruber fighting it out in a 36-story building gets my blood pumping every time. Every character in that film is enjoyable. Wall Street on the other hand, suffers from one of the worst casting decisions of the 80's. It has one major fault, but BOY is it major. Daryl Hannah is so clearly out of place so obviously having trouble in her role, that you honestly feel sorry for her watching it. It's not so much that she does a horrible job acting, it's that she does not fit the role. Oliver Stone came to realize, the cast and crew came to realize it, and honestly, that probably didn't help things either. The only other time I have had to skip scenes in a movie due to one character is Aunt May in Spider-Man 3.

Holly Gennero, however, is exactly what Die Hard needs; she's not a damsel in distress, who can actually tries to do something about it. How many action movies before Die Hard, was there a tough woman in it, without her being a trained agent or a villain?

And that's not the only thing Die Hard innovated. Before Die Hard, the 70's and the 80's was dominated by either all out violent action films with all attitude and no humor, or buddy action comedies that went from all out comedy in one scene, to action the next. In my honest opinion, Die Hard was the first good movie since Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, to properly incorporate humor and action together into one fluid film.

And finally: It actually has a plot that makes plausible sense. Most "evil geniuses" plans don't actually make sense, whereas Hans Gruber actually has a plan that could work in real life. I'm not saying that Wall Street's plot is convoluted, because it's not, but there are points where Oliver Stone has to dumb down the plot in order for the audience to understand it, because the movie is almost too smart for it's own good.

My conclusion; both movies are great, but Wall Street has one too many holes it can't cover up, whereas Die Hard has no real weakness.

Die Hard. Die Hard is arguably the greatest action movie ever, and it certainly is the action movie that all action movie todays try to live up to. I like Wall Street, but it has nothing on Die Hard. Die Hard has John Fucking McClain, Hans, and a host of other super memorable characters. John McClain became the new American Bad Ass. Oh, and Die Hard gave us Yippie Kay Ya, Mother Fucker.

In all fairness to the lesser-known Wall Street here is a trailer. Feel Free to find it somewhere and watch it. I know for a fact they have it at Best Buy for $12.99
[youtube]hXSDU171A_A&feature=related[/youtube]

Die Hard. Action movie that just doesnt stop. John McClane is a total badass. Bruce Willis plays it to a T as well. Wall Street is good, but like Shango sai it has too many plot holes, to cover up, as well as being up against Die Hard. A movie that just keeps on bringing action at every possible angle. Die Hard should win this, but Wall Street seems to have a following. It should be interesting.

This to me is a matchup that can sum up almost any argument for all films: What do you like better? Flash, or depth? Die Hard has next to no depth to it. You have a good guy, you have bad guys. The bad guys have a plan, the good guy tries to stop it. Its a modern day western in an office tower. Wall Street looks fairly boring at first glance, but it is a movie that makes you think. Douglas and Sheen are great in this. It has speeches, lines, etc. So in answer to the question of what would I pick, the only thing I can say is: Yippie Kay Ay Motherfucker.

Well I do like movies with Depth to them KB, but I can't vote against the importance of Die Hard "Slaps all around" Bitches. Die hard was a great action movie, but he was good because he was an average person. Going into DieHard 4 though, he appears to be God, but thats a different story. Im sorry Wallstreet, I didn't get through you, I was young, but I shall give you a chance next time. until then, I give it to Die Hard

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back