Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1970's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 7

Jaws
JawsFilmCover.jpg

Vs.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
texas-chainsaw-massacre.jpg

Uggh. Both fantastic horror movies. This was tough for me for awhile. But I thought about it, and have to go with Jaws. Main reason being that it actually scared me. It made me not want go to the beach when I was a kid for fear of getting attacked. It also had the better storyline and better acting as well. Thats not to say I don't love The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I do, one of my favorite horror movies of all time. But it really isnt scary, at least to me. Leatherface is a bonafide icon. But as far as movies go, Jaws takes this one.

Jaws for sure for me. I love that movie. It gave me in my life two things, Any time I am ever near a boat, I have a catch phrase to say. Anytime I am drinking, I have a song to sing. Monkey is right, it did scare people, my sister is still afraid of the ocean. It gave the audience a believable killer, a Great White Shark. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was also good, and it has scared me to ever go into small deserted towns, without supplies.

Here we have two movies that have the best possible thing in a horror movie: Believability. These two films both make you think that this could happen to you at any time. The people in Chainsaw aren't people that you could never meet. They are just insane, plain and simple. They are crazy, and an innocent group of people fall into their world, and panic reigns.

On the other hand, you have what might be the scaries place on Earth: The Ocean. It is so big, and so open that anything could be out there. And in that ocean, one creature runs everything. What if he decided to come after man? It really is the best way to do things: Fear of the unknown.

I'll go with Jaws because of the opening scene. A girl goes swimming and something attacks her from underwater. You see nothing, but I will flat out say you are lying if you don't at least get a chill from that the first time.

Jaws, and by a landslide. I think the Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is fantastic, but out of these two movies with abysmal sequels, the Chainsaw Sequels manage to hurt the original more then the Jaws sequels.

Jaws is a fantastic piece of horror. It made people stay out of the fucking ocean. Again, this is another case of me saving my ammo for later on, but Jaws should win htis one hands down.

People tend to forget what Jaws to to the nation. After that movies thousands of people were to scared to go in the water and there are still people today who are scared from the movie. Texas Chainsaw Masacare was brutal and the original is a great horror flick but Jaw's is beyond it. The direction is great in Jaws and the score makes the film all the more intense. Jaws is a classic, whereas Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a cult horror classic, Jaws is the winner.

Two notes.

When you can simply play "da-dum" and everybody INSTANTLY knows not only what song you're playing but also the movie it is from, the plot of the movie, and chances are they've seen the movie....how can you compare that to Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

TCM has its following, no doubt, but it certainly isn't even close to the mainstream popularity that Jaws has reached since its inception.

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

Jaws.

Jaws is my favourite movie ever, so this isn't even close for me. For me, this is even further apart than The Departed and The Wedding Crashers - though I feel The Departed is massively, massively overrated.

Jaws is just unquestionably a stone cold classic. TCM is maybe a lukewarm... non-classic?

TCM was a peice of shit. Never saw the old one, and the new one is fucking laborious. The part were she just lays there when she could easily grab the chainsaw while dud is getting torn apart, and SAVE him, is mind numbingly frustrating.

On the other hand...JAWS....holy shit. Is epic. A behemoth. A juggernaught. quite possibly the best horror film EVER, pound for pound, if you think about it. This movie fucked so many people up for so long. and was SO well done. Truly the stuff of nightmares. Excellent, excellent movie.

Jaws by miles. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is good, but not great. Jaws, however is a film with a legacy that TCM couldn't even dream of. Jaws has some shit sequels, as did TCM, but the original product on Jaws is still epic stuff. Jaws is probably my favorite thriller of all time, and with good reason. Its hype and acclaim is well-deserved, something I can't say for Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back