Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1970's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 6

Apocolypse Now
Apocalypse%20Now.jpg

Vs.

Young Frankenstein
young_frankenstein.jpg

While Young Frankenstein is a riot to watch, and very funny. I don't think it can topple Apocalypse Now. Another fabulous war movie. Marlon Brando is pretty fantastic in this, the story is awesome, and the imagery is pretty intense for the time period. It's been so long since Ive seen either but I remember both well. Frankenstein was a fun movie, where Apocalypse Now brought it pretty hard.

My vote goes to Apocalypse Now.

Apocalypse Now is the film I choose. Its dark themes, its raw masculinity, its ability to captivate the audience is impressive, and 30 years later, film makes have a hard time trying to duplicate it in any form of motion picture. The characters are excellent, the script is perfect, and Charlie Sheen is top notch in acting in it. I think it is one of my, and most people's favorite war movie.

This is beetlejuice 2.0. A great film that is just in over its head. Wilder is absolutely hysterical in this movie and the laughs never stop once. The sight gags and plays on words never get old. Also as a side note, one night when Frankenstein was in theaters, a young rock band got bored writing music and went to see it. In the movie, Igor says "Walk This Way". The singer, one Stephen Tyler, went to his hotel and wrote a song with that title, you may have heard it a time or two.

And then we have perhaps the best war movie ever. Apocalypse made it seem like you were really there with them, and that is what makes it great. Brando is just insane in this and made the movie for me. This is good vs. evil at its finest. Franky, love you boy, but you're going down.

Ask anyone to quote a line from either film, or remember a scene from either film and you'll be guaranteed that it's the spectacular helicopter scenes or 'I love the smell of napalm in the morning' that gets mentioned. In Apocalypse you have war film mastery. Frankentein may be funny...but there's not way it can take down Brando in this.

'Smells like victory' to me. (Cheesy but I left it open and I had to)

Many props to Young Frankenstein for being a very funny movie and still being watchable despite its age, especially in comparison to Apocalypse Now, which is one of those movies that is just grueling to watch and nearly impossible to see more than once within a few year period. Still, though, Apocalypse Now is a great film in its own right.

Argh....this one is tough to me.

You know what? I think I'm actually going to reserve my judgment and see if anybody can convince me one way or the other.

Apocalypse Now. An amazing movie, an all time favorite of mine. Young Frankenstein is very funny and I have seen it many times. That being said A.N. wins easily. It is obviously the superior film when it comes to substance and storytelling. Young Frankenstein is a slapstick comedy, featuring Mel Brooks at his finest. A.N. is a war movie of epic proportions, and it is hard to compete with that.

See, now Apocalypse Now IS a very good film, and it is certainly iconic, but I think the version everyone sees and lauds nowadays is Apocalypse Now Redux. I've seen both, and I'll tell you, when you re-watch the original, you almost feel cheated. However Redux was not released until just a few years ago, if I'm not mistaken. So personally, I choose, in all fairness, to look at the original.

Then you have Young Frankenstein, one of the funniest movies ever, IMO. You know what? Between The original Apocalypse Now being quite a let down once you see Redux, and there not being enough comedies getting a fair shot, I may go for the upset and vote for Young Frankenstein. In which case, I'll wait to go into further detail about why I like it so much.

Yeah I've only ever seen Apocalypse Now Redux. It's not great. It makes a film that's slightly too long as it is, and adds another hour. It's ok, but I'm sure the original is far superior. But both films are totally different. You can't really compare them as such.

Is is harder to make a great comedy than it is a great war film?

I think its harder to make a great comedy. As morbid as it is to say, humans are fascinated by war. There are all kinds of books, movies, classes etc that deal with war. Comedy is something that can come in all kinds of different mediums. It could be anything from slipping on a banana to very dark humor. War is a much more concrete subject. To me, comedy is harder because there are so many different definitions of comedy. War is war, plain and simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back