1970s Bracket Round 1 Match 4- 4.)Rocky vs. 29.)American Graffiti

Discussion in 'WrestleZone Movie Tournament (2008)' started by klunderbunker, Oct 6, 2008.

?

What is the better movie?

1. Rocky

2. American Graffiti

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1970's Bracket;
    Round 1, Match 4
    Rocky
    [​IMG]

Vs.
    American Graffiti
    [​IMG]

2. FromTheSouth

FromTheSouth You don't want it with me.

As much as I love the "coming of age" storyline presented in American Graffiti, this is another no contest to me. Rocky is one of the 10 greatest films of all time. The fight sequences still haven't been matched by any movie today. This is the best sports movie ever made. AG is a good movie, and would win several other matchups, but this is not a good matchup for AG.

3. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

"Rocky" is the second greatest underdog story ever told, while "American Graffiti" was just a raunchy comedy that we can see in a thousand other movies today, so "Rocky" undoubtedly gets my vote in this round, without even having to think about it. All the performances in "Rocky" were fantastic, and the part towards the end where Micky is telling Rock to "Stay down! Stay down!" and Rocky rises up, that's one of the most dramatic, emotional moments in movie history, if you ask me. "American Graffiti" offers NOTHING to compete with that one moment.

Monkey_Mania likes this.
  4. IrishCanadian25

IrishCanadian25 Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

Rocky is an American institution. Philadelphia sports have been so bad for so long, they revere Rocky as "their champion" despite being a fictional character. The guy whom Rocky was based on - Chuck Wepner - is from Bayonne, NJ.

Rocky is one of the greatest films ever made, and it still blows my mind that it was all done by Stallone himself. After the production company agreed to buy the film, they told Stallone they wanted to cast Burt Reynolds as Rocky. Well, Stallone held his ground and told them he wouldn't sell it to them if they didn't cast him as Rocky, since it was his character. Thank GOD he stood his ground!

American Grafitti, I felt, was pretty forgettable. Rocky will be around forever.

5. Papa Shango

Papa Shango Frontman of the WZ Band!!

I just wanna point out to anyone who hasn't seen American Graffiti, to definitely see if you can rent it sometime. It basically is the first teen comedy, as well as one of the first "summer blockbusters". Here's a trailer:
    [youtube]7wirK84SCiQ&feature=related[/youtube]

In fact, I'm gonna start posting trailers for most of the lesser known movies in the tournament.

6. Shocky

Shocky Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

American Graffiti is a great flick, and a great coming of age story, it's just a shame that it is goign to get absolutely destroyed by the greatest sports movie of all time. Rocky Fucking Balboa is awesome. The great thing about this movie, the sequels, while inferior in every way, shape, or form, do nothing to destroy the legacy of the original. That's saying something about the strength of Rocky. Take a look at the Matrix, this movie was touted as possibly the greatest movie of the 90's by most at the end of the decade, four years later, the sequels dragged the Matrix into irrelevance. That didn't happen to Rocky, no matter how many Tommy Gunns there were.

7. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

I have that exact Rocky poster in my room. Rocky is in the running for my all time favorite film and I know it almost by heart. I have seen it at least 50 times and I always without fail cheer for Rocky in the final fight. American Graffiti is a great film and launched George Lucas into the stratusphere, but he is in over his head here. Its saying something when one of the most popular attractions in one of the biggest cities in America as well as the world is a statue of a fictional character. I can't think of another live action character more revered.

8. AnthonyMango/NoFate007

AnthonyMango/NoFate007 A Post Is Worth A Thousand Words

Although I'd love to make some sort of a reference to Rocky "coming out on top but still not winning the fight the first time", having it up against American Graffiti breaks it. Rocky's a better film not only in its execution but also its popularity. I live in Deptford, NJ...about 15 minutes away from Philadelphia but thankfully far enough away that we don't get any spillover whatsoever. None of the crime, none of the attitude, etc. But everyone in this area has at least once ran up the steps of the art museum and done their tribute to Rocky. The last time I was there was a few months ago on a double date in the middle of the night and there were STILL little kids running up the steps as well as a group of British kids that were over here for something, I forget, and they couldn't stop talking about Rocky (although the one British guy said his favorite was "the one with the guy he's training" haha).

Now, I'll be honest...I'm not a huge fan of Rocky. I think the movie was pretty good, but that its overrated by some people that try to make it out as the best to ever be made. Its definitely good...its just not without its flaws, in my opinion. The rest of the series I could do without as well, but they're more along the lines of cult classics rather than true Oscar classics, so they still have their purpose to society and aren't just taking up space on the racks in Blockbuster. But when it comes to Rocky vs American Graffiti, we know Rocky has proven that he can go the distance, so A.G. is left behind.

Rocky.

9. Monkey_Mania

Monkey_Mania I Am The One Who Knocks

Rocky is perhaps my favorite sports movie of all time. It shows my favorite story, the story of the underdog. Truly emotional flick. Great in every way possible. American Graffiti is pretty good. But no chance it goes over Rocky. Rocky is probably the best boxing story that wasnt a real life situation. Rocky with the one punch knockout.

10. Mr. TM

Mr. TM Throwing a tantrum

My dad would be mad at me for voting against one of his favorite movies of all time, but I have to dad! Rocky delivers the knock out punch (Too cliche?). Rocky's dark context, his build up, the under dog story, it has it all! One of the greatest sports movies of all time, that ended up creating a huge series, or 6 movies, as well as helping launch Hulkamania, Rocky is great. Too bad it will lose out to other movies of the 70s.