1970s Bracket Round 1 Match 3- 3.)Star Wars vs. 30.)Star Trek-The Motion Picture

What is the better movie?

• Star Wars

• Star Trek:The Motion Picture

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1970's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 3-
Star Wars​
star-wars-episode-iv-a-new-hope.jpg

Vs.
Star Trek-The Motion Picture​
Star_Trek_Poster.jpg

Wow, if Star Wars is the number 3 movie, then the the top 2 movies better be something amazing. This is about as big of a no brainer as it gets. Legend goes that odd number Star Trek movies are bad, even are good. Star Trek 1 is odd, and it is bad.

Star Wars was phenomenal. Every movie that you have watched since 1977 has Star Wars and George Lucas to thank for it. Star Wars is beyond a cultural phenomenon, some will say it changed pop culture. This movie is the #2 grossing movie of all time behind Gone With the Wind when adjusted for inflation, and spawned successful sequel after successful sequel.

Star Wars is God.

I've been waiting for this debate to start up. I've made no secret that I cannot stand Star Trek. It is so over the top and there is absolutely no connection to the characters. I was made to watch the movie once but have never seen an episode of the series or any of the other movies. Star Wars is an absolute classic. For a movie made on the budget it had, to become what it is today is the most amazing feat in movie history, bar none. 6 films and an empire of merchandising (of which Lucas I belive slipped into the contract that he gets all royalties on) that trumps every other movie series there is. Star Wars blows this away and its not even close.

Now I will make myself clear right here. I hate Star Wars. I know it was awesome at the time, blah blah blah. I just didnt get it. Ive never been a fan. I mean it was a decent movie, but I dont get why its so loved.

With that being said. I hate Star Trek even more. Nothing pisses me off more than those words right there...Star Trek. The movie pisses me off more. I hate this movie, I hate Star Trek. This movie needs to go away. NOW! At least with Star Wars I thought it was a decent movie, I just didnt prefer it. Did I mention I hate Star Trek?

Star Wars in a landslide.

There's no debate about this. Hands down, 100%, no questions asked, without a shadow of a doubt, beyond all recognition, various other phrases, Star Wars wins.

Star Wars has become such an anchor of pop culture that it has spawned its own subdivisions. Unless they've been living in some jungle in Micronesia or something, EVERYBODY knows at least the basics of Star Wars. Sure, they might not understand anything creative about it. They might not know what references are built in or how Lucas uses "The Hero's Journey" as an outline. They may even refer to Chewbacca as "the big hairy bear guy". But many details about Star Wars has been floating around in the public consciousness just as easily as singing the alphabet song lol.

Star Wars.

I've been waiting for this debate to start up. I've made no secret that I cannot stand Star Trek. It is so over the top and there is absolutely no connection to the characters.

Clearly you've never even attempted to watch an episode of Star Trek. Every single one of the series and films is ENTIRELY CHARACTER DRIVEN. The trio of Spock, McCoy, and Captain Kirk is the most blatantly obvious Freudian character study in the history of mankind. You have no idea what you're talking about.

6 films and an empire of merchandising (of which Lucas I belive slipped into the contract that he gets all royalties on) that trumps every other movie series there is. Star Wars blows this away and its not even close.

Again, you don't know what you're talking about. The Star Trek merchandising empire is just as large if not larger then the Star Wars empire. Star Wars has 6 films. Compare that to 10 Star Trek films, and 4 different television series. And that's not even taking into account all of the non-film/tv merchandise itself.

And you mentioned how making Star Wars on such a small budget was an amazing movie feat? Read into the story of the making of the first Star Trek film. They literally were scotch-taping reels of film together hours before the premiere. It took an astounding effort to even finish the film for Paramount's deadline.

With all of that being said, and my defense of Star Trek, I still vote for Star Wars. Why? Because the first Star Trek film was a rushed project and was simply not able to live up to the hype of all the wait in time between the end of the original series and the first film. Besides, every Trekkie knows that the even-numbered films are the best.

Now, if this was a vote for Star Wars vs. Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan, I might just vote differently.

Star Trek is shit. There is no other way to explain it. I hate it. I don't get how there are all these fans of the franchise, what was so special about it? It may have more movies and even its own TV series, but most people only know the title Star Trek and that's all.

You would be very hard-pressed to find someone who doesn't know what Star Wars is. Everybody knows the line "Luke, I am your father." I don't know one line from Star Trek. I'm sure a lot of other people don't either. Star Wars is one of the greatest movie franchises ever made, and IMO the first one is still the best. Everybody knows about Star Wars. Nearly everybody has seen at least one Star Wars movie, and nearly all of them loved it.

Its a crime if Star Wars doesn't win.

The 30 year long question. Star Trek or Star Wars? What is better. It can only be answered here, in the WrestleZone Movie Tournament. I will throw my full weight behind Star Wars. It was 1 lightyear fold the better movie. How many movies out there owe all their special technique advancement to Star Wars? How many kids in the 70s went to that movie dozens of times. It is The Dark Knight of that generation. I think this movie could go on and be the greatest movie of all time. Star Trek will have a hard time being the biggest movie of that series.

Star Trek is shit. There is no other way to explain it. I hate it. I don't get how there are all these fans of the franchise, what was so special about it? It may have more movies and even its own TV series, but most people only know the title Star Trek and that's all.

How anyone can enjoy Star Wars and then criticize Star Trek is unbelievable. Star Trek came first, where do you think Lucas got all of these crazy ideas about a Federation of planets from? That's pure Star Trek.

And Star Trek had four series, not just one.

You would be very hard-pressed to find someone who doesn't know what Star Wars is. Everybody knows the line "Luke, I am your father." I don't know one line from Star Trek.

Are you joking me? Star Trek is insanely popular globally. Are you trying to tell me you've never heard the phrase "To go boldly where no man has gone before"? Stop hating on Star Trek, it's 10 times as intelligent as Star Wars ever was.

Star Wars is one of the greatest movie franchises ever made[/quote]

Yes it is. So is Star Trek. 10 Star Trek films and another one coming in less then 6 monthes from now. 4 different TV series all lasting for atleast 4 years? That's not a great franchise?

X, you're comparing apples and oranges. There maybe 10 Current Star Trek films, but nearly double the movies released, it's "only" grossed 1.3 Billion dollars as compared to Star Wars 3.4 Billion Dollars. Not saying that 1.3 Billion dollars isn't impressive, but Star Wars simply trumps it.

I tend to agree, teh debate between which is better will Spiral out of control into an endless batlle of space nerds that can't see that both offer great stories. I tend to enjoy Star Wars more, but i find pleasure with Star Trek. I tend to believe that the Next Generation is far superior to the original cast.

Anyways, you're selling Star Trek Short, it's had five series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back