15 Super Mario Bros -v- 19 Chrono Trigger

?

• SMB

• Chrono Trigger

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
250px-Super_Mario_Bros._box.png

250px-Chrono_Trigger.jpg

I'm going to continue my futile battle against the Mario series(Apart from 64 of course) by voting for Chrono Trigger.

I've only played this game on Nintendo DS due to the fact that it's the only ethat the game was released to Europe on. It's a masterclass in RPG design, its execution so far beyond the quality and poise of contemporary RPGs that it's embarrassing. I disagree with anyone who says the combat is boring because when the game was created the combat was fast paced and blew Final Fantasy titles for the SNES out of the water. If you're a fan of RPGs then definitely play this game.

Two legends that helped revolutionize gaming. Chrono Trigger put the RPG genre on the map. It added so many things that we are accustomed to seeing in RPG's to this day and without it, the RPG genre would likely be limited and much less popular than it is. It really is a masterpiece. Super Mario Bros is likely the most popular game of all time. Everybody has played it and for good reason. it was amazingly simple yet incredibly fun. Both games are incredibly influential, but Chrono Trigger gets my vote. Can't go against the father of the RPG genre.

Two legends that helped revolutionize gaming.

One legend plus Chrono Trigger.

Chrono Trigger put the RPG genre on the map.

No it didn't Dragon Warrior/Quest and Final Fantasy did.

It added so many things that we are accustomed to seeing in RPG's to this day and without it, the RPG genre would likely be limited and much less popular than it is.

It wasn't even released in Europe until a few years back. It didn't popularise the RPG genre at all.

It really is a masterpiece.

Indeed it is, but the rest you said was bullshit.

Super Mario Bros is likely the most popular game of all time. Everybody has played it and for good reason. it was amazingly simple yet incredibly fun.

Indeed it was, it had the simple gameplay, it's easy to pick up but difficult to master. Very few people I know hae completed Super Mario Bros and it's been out 25 years.

Can't go against the father of the RPG genre.

Dragon Warrior? Not even in the 128.

One legend plus Chrono Trigger.

Chrono Trigger is a legend. Don't see how you can say otherwise.

No it didn't Dragon Warrior/Quest and Final Fantasy did.

They may have come before Chrono Trigger and I will admit they laid the groundwork for it, but Chrono Trigger improved on the groundwork laid by the previous games of the genre. It's story was much better than the two you mentioned, it had great graphics, and it had an amazing soundtrack. It had over a dozen different endings and a new game+ option that it introduced.

It wasn't even released in Europe until a few years back. It didn't popularise the RPG genre at all.

Perhaps popularize was the wrong word. It added many things we are accustomed to seeing in RPG's to this day. It took what Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy laid down, and took it to a new level.

Indeed it was, it had the simple gameplay, it's easy to pick up but difficult to master. Very few people I know hae completed Super Mario Bros and it's been out 25 years.

Agreed. Finally beat level eight to finish the game. Chrono Trigger was great because of the additions it gave us that improved the RPG genre as a whole. I mean, over twelve ending is insane. It's a legend and one of the staples in the RPG genre.

Chrono Trigger is a legend. Don't see how you can say otherwise.

Because it wasn't released in Europe until 2009. To be a true legend in the gaming world you have to be known outside of it, ask a non gamer to list 100 games and I would be very shocked if chrono trigger made the list. VERY shocked. It's not a legend. It's a cult classic. It's a damn good game that had some minor impact on JPRPGs but that was it.

Super Mario Bros however would be in that top 100 list and I'm pretty sure most people would have it listed within the first 10 games. That is what a true legend is, you think of video games to a non Video Game user and depending on age (we'll stick with my generation) they'll think of the NES and with that SMB. Chrono trigger may have saved the JPRPGs in America for a year or two but SMB pretty much saved the industry.

I'm going to support Chrono Trigger here, I like it more than Mario and want it to move on to the next round. Sure both games were a huge impact on their genres and gaming as a whole, but Chrono is the more enjoyable game of the two. I like Chrono more because it has better music, a great gameplay system, and an epic story full of memorable characters. Mario may have had the larger impact as a whole, but one cannot ignore Chrono's impact. "New Game +" mode and the double/triple tech combination attacks by the heroes, the two best things Chrono has to offer are influential aspects that many have tried to imitate afterwards. Then there's the soundtrack. As awesome as Mario Bros 1 is, I'm voting Chrono.

I love Chrono Trigger to death, but Super Mario Bros. all the way.

The contributions Chrono Trigger made to RPG's can't be denied, but they don't compare to what Mario did. It revolutionized platformers. It practically sold the NES on it's own. It introduced millions to gaming, many of which have been gamers since. The controls and levels are so solid and well designed that they not only hold up today, but are still better than most modern platformers. The only other games I would even consider putting over Super Mario Bros. are Tetris and The Legend of Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back