11-7-17: WWE Championship - Jinder Mahal (C) VS AJ Styles

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
It was announced yesterday that Jinder Mahal will defend the WWE Championship against AJ Styles on this Tuesday's episode of SmackDown Live, which will actually be taped as both Raw and SmackDown take place in Manchester, England next week as part of WWE's current European tour. This is a change in plans as it was originally scheduled to be AJ Styles vs. Rusev in a match to determine who is to be the fifth and final member of the men's Survivor Series team for the blue brand.

As you might expect, this has caused a lot of discussion, speculation and rumors circulating all over the internet. The top three scenarios that seem to have the most acceptance, based on what I've read, have been put forward by Dave Meltzer, I don't know they originated Meltzer or if they're theories put fort that he happens to agree with but they're there. One scenario is that Jinder Mahal might be injured and that the plan is to keep him healthy for WWE's tour of India next month by having him drop the title to Styles, have Styles face off against Lesnar and to regain the title from Styles during the tour. The other is a straight up title change due to lack of interest in seeing the first WWE Champion vs. Universal Champion bout between Jinder Mahal and Brock Lesnar. The third scenario is that this is little more than Vince panicking over last Tuesday's SD Live being the least watched episode since June and that this match is ultimately just a means of rebounding from that.

It could potentially be either of those three, as all three of them do sound pretty reasonable. Jinder having some sort of minor injury could lead to Styles having a brief 2nd run only to drop the title to Jinder so that Jinder could be the conquering hero in his homeland or, rather, the land of his forefathers as he's Canadian isn't he? It's also definitely true that there's very little positive buzz for Jinder's match with Brock Lesnar because nobody buys for a single, solitary second that Jinder is on Lesnar's level and just the overall lack of interest for Jinder as WWE Champion. Vince going into panic mode for no real reason is believable because he's done it lots of times in the past and I'm sure it'll happen again in the future; of course, one very reasonable explanation for the low audience is because they were going up against Game 6 of the World Series between the Houston Astros and the Los Angeles Dodgers in what a lot of people are calling the most exciting World Series in decades. Of course, this all leaves the question of who'll be the fifth man for Team SmackDown at the Survivor Series completely up in the air at this point.

For me personally, I don't think it's wise for those hoping for a title change to get their hopes up. Vince has stubbornly stuck to his guns this long and I don't see Jinder dropping the title unless there really is some sort of nagging injury that they want to give time to heal up. Few things would make me happier than for the 5.5 months of mediocrity that has been Jinder Mahal as WWE Champion to come to an end and stay that way as I'm not looking forward to another 5 months of him as champion.

I see this as one final attempt to make Jinder look a threat (haha) to Brock. I can't see Jinder losing here.

I don't believe Jinder's losing the title unless AJ Styles is coming to India in December (he isn't advertised for the shows here). Jinder is coming to India not only to appeal to or 'draw' the Indian crowd, but also as the World Champion. As far as whether it's working or not, I don't think Jinder's presence is required to draw here as there are a lot of Roman Reigns, Kevin Owens, Finn Balor and Alexa Bliss fans here who would've watched the show regardless.

What I'm really interested in is to see if AJ Styles can pull a good match out of Jinder.

Hmm...

If AJ Styles is being inserted into this match just to put Jinder Mahal over, I don't get it. First of all, they play it off as if Jinder Mahal has never beaten AJ Styles before. The guy has. In fact, it was one of the matches that built Jinder Mahal towards his WWE Championship win. I don't understand why they would use AJ Styles AGAIN to put him over. We get it, Jinder Mahal beats everyone with the Khallas. If beating Randy Orton and Shinsuke Nakamura didn't convince people of Jinder Mahal being a main event status player, then this is still not going to convince them otherwise. His opponent is still Brock Lesnar.

AJ Styles doesn't seem to have any momentum right now since losing another match to Jinder Mahal here would just make him beating Rusev seem like a demotion heading into Survivor Series as opposed to him just beating Rusev from the start to join team Smackdown like it should be. If Jinder Mahal is injured, then I can see how this would make more sense for AJ Styles to beat him. It's the least detached reality here, because everything else seems completely random. No matter which way it's spun...if Jinder Mahal stays WWE Champion or even regains the WWE Championship, it's only gonna make whoever that has to face him look silly when they lose. The guy never even beat John Cena.

The original plan was to have Rusev vs Styles. I don't think they decided at the last minute to give Mahal a stepping stone..

If Rusev vs Styles is scrapped it means that Styles is out of the 5-man match. Have Styles lose to Jinder, so that Jinder can look strong and then Styles pop back into the Elimination match is stupid.

Plus, Mahal would once again with help from the Bros, so he doesn't really look any stronger than before. And if they really wanted Mahal to look strong, they could have gone with a 5-pack match, where Mahal faces the superstars of the SD team (Roode, Styles, Orton and Nakamura), in a match to prove that he's really the one deserving to fight Brock Lesnar.

So that option is out.

Styles will win this Tuesday. We'll talk about Styles' future as champ after he does though.

I don't believe Jinder's losing the title unless AJ Styles is coming to India in December (he isn't advertised for the shows here). Jinder is coming to India not only to appeal to or 'draw' the Indian crowd, but also as the World Champion. As far as whether it's working or not, I don't think Jinder's presence is required to draw here as there are a lot of Roman Reigns, Kevin Owens, Finn Balor and Alexa Bliss fans here who would've watched the show regardless.

What I'm really interested in is to see if AJ Styles can pull a good match out of Jinder.

Maybe they're planning on Jinder winning the title at India.

Here is the thing.. I doubt Vince made the match because of low smackdown rating this week because frankly it was Halloween and World Series game so no way not even if Rock or Austin themselves were advertised were going to get the ratings up that high.

They scrapped the Rusev vs Aj match for a reason. I don't why? They could easily have the Jinder vs AJ match on the smackdown before survivor series but they didn't.

The WWE is backing themselves into a corner AGAIN. They scrapped a match for the 5th spot of the team. which now they will have to fix. They made Rusev look like an afterthought by scrapping the match.. again. If AJ loses the internet will explode and he will look weak..AGAIN. AJ has zero to no momentum right now after losing the US title and then to Finn. If AJ wins (which i would love to see) means they give up on the Mahal experiment. and it leaves a loose end to fill for that 5th spot.

This will either be a massive disappointment or a huge surprise.

If Mahal isn't losing the championship, there's no reason why this match couldn't have happen the week after next. I was looking forward to AJ vs Rusev too.
I haven't had an issue with Mahal as champ but this decision may change that.

I feel like this was made last minute probably because Jinder might have a minor injury and they need to keep him off tv for a little bit so that he's 100% healthy for the india tour. What i would see happening is A.J. Styles wins the belt on tuesday goes on to face Lesnar and then drop the belt back to Jinder in India which would lead to AJ's rematch at clash of champion.

I think Aj doesn'T need a long title run to be over, he's a great hand on top and will stay over no matter what. In the end, this would make the WWE vs Universal champion match better, then you can do the push toward the Cena vs Jinder for the title at mania.

It's the fact that this is clearly a complete change of plan that intrigues me the most. AJ Styles was clearly going to be that fifth man on Team SmackDown. The rumours about every other confirmed member so far were true. So to now scrap that and have Styles placed here makes me think that there's some serious weight to just two of the arguments: either we're going to see a new champion—though I don't know if that will actually happen since it's a pre-taped show—or they are trying their hardest to make Mahal seem like a threat against Brock Lesnar, which I find hilarious considering Styles is not even half the size of Lesnar.

What I want is a new champion, and who better than AJ Styles? He's the top guy. But it's not going to happen. I will be legitimately shocked if it does. It will probably be the biggest shock of the year for me, that's how convinced I am that it's not going to happen. And with that said, I think that it's stupid logic to even have this match now. The champion attacks a non champion and suddenly that grants the victim an immediate title match? The big draw supposedly for the match at Survivor Series is that it is world champion vs world champion. It doesn't matter who the champion is, so if Jinder does indeed retain, having the match now is seemingly unnecessary. Have the match just before Survivor Series and swap them in their respective matches if Styles wins. But this just seems so messy because they've clearly changed plans, put Rusev to the background AGAIN, and Mahal is going to go over yet another guy who could be so much better as champion.

Granted, I'm assuming Mahal retains. Maybe there's a much bigger picture here that I'm missing. The switch has definitely piqued my interest but I fear I will be disappointed. I'm enjoying SmackDown for the most part, but I'm really over Jinder Mahal at this point. I was behind him being champion so long as it worked, and I don't think it has. Again, I might be missing something and I could be in a minority, but that's just me.

either we're going to see a new champion—though I don't know if that will actually happen since it's a pre-taped show—or they are trying their hardest to make Mahal seem like a threat against Brock Lesnar, which I find hilarious considering Styles is not even half the size of Lesnar.

Styles winning the WWE Championship for the 2nd time would be a nice surprise. Of course, the potential problem then wouldn't be whether or not he'd be fed to Lesnar, it's how bad. If WWE let them have a competitive match, then it could very possibly be Lesnar's best singles showing since his bout with CM Punk at SummerSlam in 2013. There'd be almost zero shot of Styles going over Lesnar, but I'd be satisfied if he came out of it looking like someone who gave the Beast a hard fight.

As for making Jinder look like a threat, I don't think that's a miracle Styles can pull off, as great as Styles is because Jinder is just so friggin' average in the ring, and I mean average at the very most. Having Styles carry Jinder through one passable match, even a very good match, can't mask Jinder's mediocrity. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Vince thinks otherwise since it's fairly obvious, at times, that he has little respect for the intelligence of fans. Don't get me wrong, suspension of disbelief is paramount to enjoying pro wrestling but Jinder just simply isn't remotely a good enough wrestler and that's plain to see; he doesn't have the in-ring ability, he doesn't have the presence, he doesn't have the promo skills, he doesn't have the personality. In short, Jinder's in a spot that he's woefully underqualified for.

Option 4? Styles wins title. Wednesday WWE announces wellness violation and suspension for Jinder.

I think most of us would agree that Brock Lesnar vs AJ Styles would be a bigger draw if Styles does win the title fron Mahal next week. Styles is a bigger star than Mahal and is better in the ring and would probably have a better match with Lesnar. We've seen Styles work with larger opponents and able to carry them to good matches and play the underdog role well. Survivor Series is supposed to be part of the big 4 ppv's of the year and it should be treated as such. Also Lesnar's future in WWE and is in question and he might be gone after Mania so it might be the last chance to do this dream match.
As for Mahal I think he's made the best of his position and he's had a good run with the title. But I think it would be for the best if he drops the title to Styles. After Survivor Series he can regain the title at Rumble or whatever the next Smackdown ppv's is. They can build Mahal back up and he can walk into Mania as Champion to face Cena.

I've read that Jinder Mahal is working injured. Hopefully AJ Styles wins the title on Tuesday and then Jinder can rest his injury until the India tour. If he is injured then it's not a good idea to take a lot of suplexes from Brock Lesnar. Besides AJ vs Lesnar would be very interesting.

If Jinder is injured even if slightly this makes sense.
1) Brock is not exactly a gentle wrestler or a protective one...So putting him in the ring with someone not at 100% is only likley to lead to more injuries which would mean Jinder porbably on the shelf
2) Vince will shit kittens if he finds out after all his hard work Jinder cant wrestle on the India tour after he has done so much effort to push him. The only thing that would kill him more is if he found out Roman would miss Mania

What I would love to see. AJ Styles defeating Jinder Mahal to become the champion. And then defeat Brock Lesnar at Survivor Series in a great match.

However that's impossible. So Jinder will retain in another boring match. If he's injured, then AJ will win only to lose it back.

Styles winning the WWE Championship for the 2nd time would be a nice surprise. Of course, the potential problem then wouldn't be whether or not he'd be fed to Lesnar, it's how bad. If WWE let them have a competitive match, then it could very possibly be Lesnar's best singles showing since his bout with CM Punk at SummerSlam in 2013. There'd be almost zero shot of Styles going over Lesnar, but I'd be satisfied if he came out of it looking like someone who gave the Beast a hard fight.

As for making Jinder look like a threat, I don't think that's a miracle Styles can pull off, as great as Styles is because Jinder is just so friggin' average in the ring, and I mean average at the very most. Having Styles carry Jinder through one passable match, even a very good match, can't mask Jinder's mediocrity. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Vince thinks otherwise since it's fairly obvious, at times, that he has little respect for the intelligence of fans. Don't get me wrong, suspension of disbelief is paramount to enjoying pro wrestling but Jinder just simply isn't remotely a good enough wrestler and that's plain to see; he doesn't have the in-ring ability, he doesn't have the presence, he doesn't have the promo skills, he doesn't have the personality. In short, Jinder's in a spot that he's woefully underqualified for.

Could not agree more on all counts. AJ Styles vs. Brock Lesnar could be, in its own way, a match for the ages. And I too would be happy if Styles was to lose after a great match. But while Styles could probably pull a great match from Lesnar, you're right, he can't do it with Mahal because Mahal has shown no signs whatsoever that he can actually pull off a more than decent match in the ring. WWE could make a very good change on Tuesday and suddenly Survivor Series would be a significantly better event. I don't see it happening though.

Could not agree more on all counts. AJ Styles vs. Brock Lesnar could be, in its own way, a match for the ages. And I too would be happy if Styles was to lose after a great match. But while Styles could probably pull a great match from Lesnar, you're right, he can't do it with Mahal because Mahal has shown no signs whatsoever that he can actually pull off a more than decent match in the ring. WWE could make a very good change on Tuesday and suddenly Survivor Series would be a significantly better event. I don't see it happening though.
AJ Styles Vs. Brock Lesnar could actually be a great match. It's a sort of dream match. But I've only one fear at the back of my mind. And that's squash. Or one-sided fight. If that is to happen, I would rather see Jinder Mahal get squashed instead of AJ Styles.

Either this is a reflex reaction to last Tuesday's pretty low rating (though it had a lot of competition so I don't see why there would be tremendous worry) or Jinder's hurt.

If it's the former, AJ loses, if it's the latter, AJ wins.

WWE didn't just wake up and decide to change the Survivor Series main event three weeks prior to the event, more notably, they didn't just decide to take the belt off Jinder a month away from their India tour.

I know it's been suggested that AJ could win and then immediately drop it back to Jinder after Survivor Series or on the India tour but that just seems... stupid. It would seem like a waste. Not to mention I doubt they'd ever do a WWE Championship change at a non televised event in this day and age. The US Championship is one thing, but not the WWE Championship.

I actually hope Jinder retains. If Styles is going to defeat Jinder, only to be beaten by Lesnar and then lose the title back to Mahal it makes him look stupid and weak.
I think it's best for Styles to be in the Men's survivor Series team getting eliminated last after a distraction from Owens and Zayn.

If Styles does win the title, they can have Jinder win the US title heading into Mania, as Cena vs Jinder for the US title makes more sense and then having Owens vs Zayn or Nakamura vs Styles for the WWE Title which will give a deep card for Mania on the SD side (which will hopefully also feature a heel Randy Orton vs Shane McMahon).

Looking forward to the match. I really hope that Styles wins this. Jinder's been absolutely awful as World Heavyweight Champion. The guy is not believable in the role even in the slightest. It doesn't help that he's boring. Heck, I've pointed out a number of times that the only entertaining thing about Jinder is when his challengers attack his sidekicks. The match makes sense and so would a title change. If you want a true "Bragging Rights" PPV for Survivor Series complete with champion VS champion matches then they need to be evenly matched. Brock comes off as the final boss type when you draw a video game analogy, whereas Jinder in that same analogy would be the weak enemies encountered in the first quest of the same game that Brock's the end boss in. AJ would at least make sense if they put the (kayfabe) "best" guys of each brand against each other. I fully expect Brock to win whether it's against AJ or Jinder. They clearly want Jinder to get a big moment during the India show. Have AJ win this week so he can go in as the World Heavyweight Champion against Brock at Survivor Series. Then Jinder wins the title back in India so that John Cena can break Flair's record against Jinder at Wrestlemania. Not the best scenario in the world, though it's a likely one. It's also better than having to sit through Brock VS Jinder. What a joke of a match. I hope that they had the intelligence to back out of planning that match.

Styles vs. Lesnar would be much more entertaining and putting the belt back on Styles should improve Smackdown as well. If they do this... Still have Cena guest referee this match. Have Styles hit a big spot on Lesnar but Cena be out of position for the count. Cena vs. Styles feud restarts. Styles vs. Cena at Wrestlemania!!!

Mania Card
1) Lesnar vs. Reigns (Universal Title)
2) Styles vs. Cena (WWE Title)
3) Miz vs. Balor (I-C Title)
4) HHH, Angle, & Shane vs. Owens/Zayn/Orton
5) Corbin vs. Nakamura vs. Roode vs. Rusev (US Title)
6) 4 Horsewomen (WWE) vs. 4 Horsewomen (UFC)
7) Rollins/Ambrose vs. Authors of Pain (Raw Tag Titles)
8) Uso's vs. New Day (Ladder Match) - Smackdown Tag Titles
9) Asuka vs. Bliss (Raw Women's Title)
10) Carmella (C) vs. Naomi vs. Natalyia vs. Paige (Smackdown Women's Title)
11) Braun Stroman vs. Samoa Joe
12) Andre Battle Royal - winner receives title shot of their choice at their next brand PPV
13) Kalisto vs. Rey Mysterio Jr (Cruiserweight Title) - opening match

Jinder is not good enough for World Title, US title have it's own feuds, how about creating his own title for Mahal? You know like Million Dollar Belt was in a day but with a twist for Modern Day Maharajah, so he can continue his "winning streak" and feel special without wasting major and future stars' potential. The only difficult thing here for WWE is to treat this Maharajah Belt as an important trophy and not a joke...with actual title defences on PPVs and good enough feuds

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back