#1 Guy = World Champion

Discussion in 'The Wrestling Archives' started by ABMorales787, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ABMorales787

ABMorales787 Lord And Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Seems to be the popular claim to defend Randy Orton's latest title win over Christian. Great and dandy. No, I'm not gonna talk about Orton being "boring" or the "overlooking" of Christian or all the stuff that's been repeated over the last few days. I'm gonna focus on the main issue. The alleged mentality that warranted this decision. It dictate's something really simple and straight forward. If you are the top draw on the program, if you are the one who makes the crowd yell the loudest cheers or boo's that not only makes you the most successful in your role, but also dictates you have to be World Champion. That makes sense. I mean, that's kinda how you build your stars and all, right? But somewhere down the line, you gotta wonder... Does that little line need to be taken so seriously that we skip storylines, ignore builds, play politics and just swap champions in a two day's notice? Is that how the system works? Sure, maybe there's more to it than a simple title change and suddenly the entire status quo of the show changes. Maybe there is in fact a method to the controversy. Maybe. Maybe.

But why in God's green earth is that the only thing that makes a decision seem good? I'm not talking about Orton. I'm not talking about Christian. I'm not talking about Mr. McMahon. I'm not talking about the old lady across the street who seems to hate me. I mean you. You, with your hands on the keyboard. Why do you claim this? You don't? Move then, so I can point at the guy who is. Is being the number one draw of the show really that big a deal? That we just bypass the status quo to get to our new point? But on occasion, we can call that off for the sake of testing the grounds with a rookie? Jack Swagger and Sheamus were never near the claim of being the top guys of their shows and they got a good time on the limelight. #1 guys to the side. No fuzz to it. "It's just a test run. Now he knows where he needs to improve." But what does that say about a Christian? Or a Dolph Ziggler? "They weren't ready. They aren't big draws yet and maybe never will".

Let me ask. How the fuck do you know?! Brock Lesnar was just given the ball one day and pretty much ran with the whole company. Then he took the ball to UFC and he's still dribbling the thing. A shit, he just served your dinner. Tell me. Did Vince see something in him? Did he see it on Sheamus too? Was it Triple H? Who saw what on Jack Swagger? What does anyone see in Michael Cole? What doesn't Christian have? Does Dolph Ziggler not have that either? I'm I ever gonna stop with the questions? Probably not.

I'll tell you one thing though. Being the top star does warrant the top item. But at the least, we should get other issues to the side first. Contrary to popular belief, the climax is not the end of a story. That would be a the conclusion. And I'm kinda expecting that "happily and ever after" line to be thrown. If a cliffhanger is left with no resolution and there's no sequel either, it's not a cliffhanger. It's an aborted storyline. And it seems to be what most people endorse.

Notorious718 likes this.
  2. blackmetalbuick

blackmetalbuick Pre-Show Stalwart

I was thinking of starting a similar thread with all this talk lately about the number one guy needing to be the champion. WWE (or I guess the dirt sheets) are practically contradicting themselves from show to show. When they talk about Raw and the Miz, they talk about how he is still at the top, they still have huge plans for him, he still flies first class, is still one of the main faces of the WWE, etc, yet they don't need to have the belt on him right now. Then when we discuss SmackDown it's "Orton needs the belt because he is at the top!". Why can't we apply what is said about the Miz to Orton, why can't he still be a top guy and not need the belt? He's a much bigger star than the Miz, so if the Miz can remain afloat without the need of a title, Orton certainly can.

This logic is so flawed. Think back to when the WWE was good. Did guys like Austin and the Rock constantly have to have the belt on them? No way, and they were still at the top of the food chain and they were still generally the focal point of the program. The belt did a fair amount of moving around on the roster yet it still had meaning. These days they assume the only way to have the title mean something again is to have the same 3 guys hold it all the time. Maybe that's another belief that needs to be deconstructed along with the main one we're already discussing here; holding the title for a long time, or the same guys always holding it, does not give it value, as we can see happening these last few years. The titles mean less than ever despite only being held by a few guys.

Having your top guy NOT be champion makes for good TV as well. I'm not all wound up about Christian losing, but lets just take that for example. If Christian was still champ, would we really not still treat Orton like a huge star? Regardless of who has the belt, we know Orton is on SmackDown to be the new focal point.

If the rule is automatically top guy = champion then it really ruins all the enjoyment, it will always be stale and predictable. I'd rather watch a non-title mid card match where you don't know who they booked to win instead of watching a title match and knowing just because a certain guy is standing in one corner that he is likely to win. We should have underdog champions, we should have top guys without needing to have gold around their waist.

In the end it's just a continuation of WWE's tendency to insult our intelligence. Clearly we can't understand who might be important unless they have a flashy gold thing hanging off of them. Might as well not have guys compete for the title, just say whoever is at the top of the rankings is the champ since they're already treating it that way.

Maybe the same few guys only draw money because they are the only ones allowed to. They really don't think there's any money in leaving Christian as champion and keeping Edge involved on his behalf? If anyone can come up with catch phrases and pump out some merch, it's Edge and Christian. Not Orton with another viper shirt.

Oh well, we might as well stop caring. Just a few months ago we were seeing belts put on guys like Sheamus and Swagger, and now we're being told only the number 1 guy should have it. But I guess in WWE's defense, when we get new, unexpected champions, everyone complains about that too. So now they're sticking with safe bets.

3. ipswichicon80

ipswichicon80 Pre-Show Stalwart

My problem with Orton given the strap? When Christian won it it actually meant something to me.Imagine that,someone wins the title and it actually means something.Then two days later WWE takes it away and is amazed by the backlash?Why are they amazed?Because they are so out of touch with what the fan wants!"we are a global entertainment company" really? No your not your a wrestling company,you want proof? Everything you have tried to do outside of wrestling has absolutely positively sucked!Your ashamed to be associated with wrestling?Wrestling is ashamed of you!

Y2J-LionTamer-Y2J likes this.
  4. Azane

Azane Mid-Card Championship Winner

I think Christian must be to the IWC what Cena is to the majority of WWE fans.

The reason Orton won the title from Christian is simply that the creative team at WWE decided it. Any reason people on the internet give is simply their speculations and opinions. There's no need for us to make excuses for things happening.
    Being the #1 draw to a show is important, because the ENTIRE point of Smackdown or Raw is to build up ratings and eventually PPV buys, having the top guys hold the strap has always lead to bigger PPV buys. More people will watch Orton in a title match than Christian, saying "well the internet likes Christian more" isn't going to change that Orton's probably drawn more in half the time than Christian's drew in his career.
    WWE is a business, keeping the majority of their audience happy is more important than a bunch of people who believe one of their favorites should hold gold.
    Orton's name value is worth more than Christians; Inside, and outside of wrestling.

WWE is listening to it's fans, and just because some fans speak louder than other's, doesn't mean the quieter ones aren't as important.

Unfortunately to burst the bubble, Christian would of never held a world title if Edge hadn't retired.

5. ipswichicon80

Unfortunately to burst the bubble, Christian would of never held a world title if Edge hadn't retired.
    True. The only correct thing in your post.Christian is over. What in 2 days he didn't sell PPV's and draw money?Like Orton draws money? Listen to the fans react to Christian.Then listen to how they react to Orton.Christian can draw money he just needs a chance.The problem is WWE nowadays is too spineless to take a chance.

6. Big Nick Dudley

Orton is the face of Smackdown, just so that's clear. I think people thought room was being cleared for Christian to take Orton's spot, and that was never going to happen. Even if Christian had held the title for a few months, Smackdown isn't his show. It belongs to Orton. I know how painful that is to take in, but it's true. Just as painful for Orton fans to hear when people talk about Cena and Raw.

Orton is younger than Christian. Also, Orton was chosen by the fans. The fans turned him from a heel to a babyface. That didn't happen with Christian. In the end, fans have a choice to make here. If they choose to boo Orton from here on out, fine with me, I like him more as a heel anyhow. But, that didn't seem to be what happened on Friday night. The fans popped like crazy when the ref counted 1-2-3.

What this whole thing boils down to is Orton haters/Christian fans vs. Orton fans. The follow-up show hasn't even taken place yet, and people (Orton haters) are going absolutely insane. For some posters, this seems to be more about hating Orton than loving Christian. If I had to guess, I think most of them thought Christian could save them from Orton. They thought he could take over the show, be the #1 face, and Orton would fall from a 25-story building. Well, sorry to disappoint, but that's not happening. You people worked yourselves into an unrealistic state of mind, and that isn't Orton's fault. It's not Vince's fault either. You wanted something to happen that wasn't in the big plan.

As an Orton fan, don't you think I wanted to see Orton take Cena's spot on Raw? Of course I did. But, I never went nuts, and actually thought it was going to happen. I'm not a big enough mark to just ignore how important Cena is, and you guys should probably consider the same when talking about Orton (and no Killjoy, this comment wasn't directed at you, or anyone else in particular).

Plus, this thing is far from over. You have no idea what the future holds, so just calm down. Maybe the fans turn on Orton, and rebel in favor of Christian. Doubtful, but anything is possible. Maybe Christian turns heel, takes the belt back, and holds it for six months. Let this play out before drawing a final conclusion, that's all I'm getting at.

Jack-Hammer likes this.
  7. Lucid

Lucid Occasional Pre-Show

How many times can Christian "win the big one for Edge"? Doesn't that just make Christian worse in the long run? Oh look, Christian defeated the roster for Edge for the next four years! Awesome. Let's not have him do anything for, yanno...his own motivation or anything. The Edge thing has to end because yanno...he's not gonna wrestle anymore.
    Secondly, if you don't enjoy children's television, don't watch children's television.
    if you're somehow too smart or sophisticated to enjoy simple things, then get a new hobby deconstructing international politics or something.
    No, you don't need your top draw to always carry a title. Cena didn't have it for half a year or whatever and "needed" to have it to tweak the Rock angle. Maybe he even won, because...yanno, he's "The Champ". So what?
    Orton "needed" the WHC to say "look, Randy is the star over here on Smackdown."
    So what?
    Does that mean that those two guys will always be champion? NO.
    You know why? They already haven't been champion the whole time.
    They are multi-time guys because...they lose. Sure, Orton hasn't lost in a while but you can't really say he'd be the number one guy if he went to Smackdown losing five in a row now can you? As to Cena, he loses as well.
    As for establishing new guys, you have the camp of Christian fought for 17 YEARS, but Mark Henry(15 years) blows ass mentality. What do you imagine the guys in the mid-card are trying to do right now? Are you just going to elevate everyone into the main event and make them World Champion...just because? What does that do for anyone? You can't push everyone. It's not rational, and you can't run an industry on what everyone else thinks.
    As for boring, I see that a lot. Does anyone actually know what boring means anymore?
    Boring means you're not connected and feel like you can't connect. Clearly, if you are bored then you have no interest in what's happening(and you're not posting about it...because...yanno...you're not interested). If you hate it, that's not bored, that's you hating it. That's connected.
    The entire lead-in to Extreme Rules no-one had the WHC. That's the statis quo. Randy's build was "I'm gonna get my own show, so I gotta look like I'm capable or else Smackdown goes into the toilet of who-gives-a-fuck" Christian being "the guy" doesn't work on the entirety of his character and build to ER. Christian's build of "I'm a reliable guy winning one for my buddy and just kinda beat another mid-card guy who I beat a few other times in the last two months" doesn't scream number one guy on the show to me at all. Why do you need to establish(put the title on randy) right away? If you don't do that, then a lot of people will be like...ok, why bother bringing Orton over here if "you're just gonna keep him in some other guy's shadow".
    Children's television isn't hard to understand. If you're better than watching it, don't.
    If you want there to be more adult themes, like say...puppies, or a return to the blood, guts and guys killing themselves on tv then fine. Good for your side. Sex and violence, wooo.

8. CitiBoy7

CitiBoy7 Occasional Pre-Show

Yeah so basically Cena and Orton are gonna hold the title for a long time. I don't understand why you think just because they are the biggest stars they have to cling on to the title so no one else can get a chance. I Understand why Cena is champ because raw and their heels but it was no reason why Orton had to become champ and I know he's replacing Edge but now their just over doing it. The real reason why Orton and Cena or champs is because it's what the kids want because you know if the kids favorites don't win the kids get mad and don't wanna watch anymore which would hurt wwe. Basically where stuck like this and maybe this is telling us wwe just isn't for us anymore.

9. ipswichicon80

Today, 11:03 AM
    Lucid

How many times can Christian "win the big one for Edge"? Doesn't that just make Christian worse in the long run? Oh look, Christian defeated the roster for Edge for the next four years! Awesome. Let's not have him do anything for, yanno...his own motivation or anything. The Edge thing has to end because yanno...he's not gonna wrestle anymore.
    Secondly, if you don't enjoy children's television, don't watch children's television.
    if you're somehow too smart or sophisticated to enjoy simple things, then get a new hobby deconstructing international politics or something.
    No, you don't need your top draw to always carry a title. Cena didn't have it for half a year or whatever and "needed" to have it to tweak the Rock angle. Maybe he even won, because...yanno, he's "The Champ". So what?
    Orton "needed" the WHC to say "look, Randy is the star over here on Smackdown."
    So what?
    Does that mean that those two guys will always be champion? NO.
    You know why? They already haven't been champion the whole time.
    They are multi-time guys because...they lose. Sure, Orton hasn't lost in a while but you can't really say he'd be the number one guy if he went to Smackdown losing five in a row now can you? As to Cena, he loses as well.
    As for establishing new guys, you have the camp of Christian fought for 17 YEARS, but Mark Henry(15 years) blows ass mentality. What do you imagine the guys in the mid-card are trying to do right now? Are you just going to elevate everyone into the main event and make them World Champion...just because? What does that do for anyone? You can't push everyone. It's not rational, and you can't run an industry on what everyone else thinks.
    As for boring, I see that a lot. Does anyone actually know what boring means anymore?
    Boring means you're not connected and feel like you can't connect. Clearly, if you are bored then you have no interest in what's happening(and you're not posting about it...because...yanno...you're not interested). If you hate it, that's not bored, that's you hating it. That's connected.
    The entire lead-in to Extreme Rules no-one had the WHC. That's the statis quo. Randy's build was "I'm gonna get my own show, so I gotta look like I'm capable or else Smackdown goes into the toilet of who-gives-a-fuck" Christian being "the guy" doesn't work on the entirety of his character and build to ER. Christian's build of "I'm a reliable guy winning one for my buddy and just kinda beat another mid-card guy who I beat a few other times in the last two months" doesn't scream number one guy on the show to me at all. Why do you need to establish(put the title on randy) right away? If you don't do that, then a lot of people will be like...ok, why bother bringing Orton over here if "you're just gonna keep him in some other guy's shadow".
    Children's television isn't hard to understand. If you're better than watching it, don't.
    If you want there to be more adult themes, like say...puppies, or a return to the blood, guts and guys killing themselves on tv then fine. Good for your side. Sex and violence, wooo.

Without a doubt the most arrogant full of shit post I've ever read!
    You're comparing Christian to Mark henry? A guy who knows how to work a match,a guy who is over and your comparing him to a guy who despite his 17 years has never been over and has never had one memorable match?Is this "backlash" about the PG rating?No. Yet clearly you think it is. The backlash is because Christian has constantly had good matches since his return and has been over since his return.The fact WWE thinks fans want to see another Orton title run over,good god,a new guy in the ME scene is a sad indictment of how out of touch they are.WWE is making less money and selling less PPV's.Sure Mania bought in over a million buys but why? Because of the Rock and Austin. In the Monday night wars dvd WWE slated WCW for not putting people over and now WWE is making the same mistakes.Wrestlemania drew because of two guys who haven't wrestled in years. We now have Orton and Cena as the two main guys,like it's been for years!It is boring!

10. Rayne

Rayne Sally Section

A climax is not the end of a forum post. That would be the conclusion, where you sum up your argument in the space of a couple of sentences, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has no idea what your point was.

Are you chastising fans for not having faith in the 'alternate' stars, like Sheamus and Jack Swagger? Are you trying to explain how a belt should travel in order to make it worthwhile? I'm not at all sure what the point you're trying to express is; it looks like you just took a bunch of random ideas and threw them together, praying that your audience would be able to extract what you were thinking from it.

Big Nick Dudley likes this.
  11. GameOver

GameOver Mid-Card Championship Winner

True

Christian is over but not over enough to carry the company and WWE doesn't believe in him as a main player, as a hard worker yes but not enough to put the company on his back. Orton was moved over to Smackdown to take over from Undertaker as a leader

He was a transitional champ to give an Edge/Christian final moment, nothing more. Though as they said on CSR it wouldn't have killed them to let him keep the belt for a month. 1 title defense is a bit rough but he should be thankfull he was even given the notch in history

Doesn't matter if we like it or not, personally i don't and he shoulda got atleast 1 PPV to defend at but that's what they have dictated.

One thing though i think you failed to notice. They cheered him when he won and when he was making his voctory speech on Smackdown, but when he lost how much support did he get after Orton left? Sweet F*all, the arena was quiet as Christian was left by himself, that sais it all.

12. darbare

darbare Getting Noticed By Management

when a guy like Khali who has without a doubt the shittiest wrestling abilities of all time can hold the world title for 2 months, I am baffled Christian with much more mic skill and ring ability cant do the same thing. Hell Dolph Ziggler technically held the title for 1 day, but Christian cant hold it longer? What about Benoit? I'm not saying Christian is even in Benoits league, but Christian also has mic skills that Benoit couldnt dream of. If Benoit could hold it for almost 5 months why cant Christian hold for it a month? And damn, even back then when Benoit had to compete with Triple H at his prime, Brock Lesnar, and Kurt Angle who all had much more to offer in terms of marketability. I guess Christian is this generations Benoit because they fed him to Orton

13. thraxiusrex

thraxiusrex Occasional Pre-Show

I don't think the top guy necessarily HAS to be the champ, but in this case I think it was just a matter of establishing the status quo and setting up the new Smackdown for the summer storylines. Minus Christian and Layla, every wrestler in action was new to the roster. (Not counting Chavo's commentary) Christian's win was really just the conclusion to the storyline with ADR and Edge, just like most of Extreme Rules was fued-enders in order to proceed with a fresh start going into the summer.
    Also, summer is typically a bad time for PPV's and TV in general, so it makes sense to have the top two draws as champ.
    Besides, who doesn't want to see a title feud between Cody Rhodes and Randy Orton at this point?

Big Nick Dudley likes this.
  14. shattered dreams

shattered dreams Hexagonal Hedonist

I do not buy into this excuse one bit. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy that makes no sense upon further examination. As many have pointed out here that if this was true then Cena would ALWAYS be champ. That may be a bad example going forward this year but it is pretty clear last year WWE went out of their way to do something different with Cena because people were tired of that. Interestingly enough one of the main people WWE turned to was Orton. Equally interesting nothing really came of it. Orton seems to get some good pops but he has been given chance after chance to go to that superstar level and he has never made it. Even from a common sense standpoint in theory the easiest person to command attention without a title would be this "#1 guy." So why would you immediately have this huge need for him to have to have the title? It just doesn't make sense.

WWE views Orton as their number 1 there but that doesn't mean it is obviously true or the right thing to do. I did not find this whole thing surprising because that is how WWE does things (pick a guy and ride him until the sheep accept him and everyone else be damned) but that does not make it right like these holier than thou apologists are claiming. Unless Orton pitches a fit he is curtain jerking on big shows recently. This is after he had to take a backseat on RAW where he failed to reach that next level. If anything the obvious reason they did this is to not piss him off anymore than he already probably is from being sent further into the backseat by going to the B show. They did not do it because it was "right." That idea is ******ed.

Orton isn't a draw. He is just the guy they have invested the most in.

15. Zigglerfan227

Zigglerfan227 Getting Noticed By Management

Just because you are the top guy in the company does not mean that you have to hold the title. There was absolutely no reason why Christian should have lost the world title so soon. Christian has just as many supporters as Orton. The WWE should have atleast waited until the ppv for Christian to lose the title. Randy Orton vs. Christian in a main event World title match sounds pretty awesome to me.

Both Randy Orton and John Cena now hold the world titles. Vince seems to consider them the top guys of the company, and I understand that, but that does not mean that they have to hog the titles. Orton and Cena are guys who will always be big stars and they will attract viewers just as much without a title as they would with one. Orton is a cool guy and I respect Cena, but this is not the Hulk Hogan days. Not all of us want to see the same two or three guys in the spotlight.

I do agree that Christian would have never won the world title if Edge had not retired. I don't even care how he won it though, he won it and he needed to hang on to it for a while. Christian has many fans and he would be a draw. Besides, he could have always been built up more to make him an even bigger name.

El Rev sXe likes this.
  16. Big Nick Dudley

Good pops? Actually, they're through the roof. His pops are as loud as Cena's, without the booing.

Do you even watch? I was under the impression you didn't watch WWE programs.

Actually, this is his first real opportunity. As you said, WWE pushes who they want on top. Not saying Cena doesn't belong there, because he does. However, being under Cena, on Raw, wasn't an opportunity to rise to Cena's level. He was as over as he was going to get. Orton did all he could on Raw, seeing Vince was never going to make Cena take a backseat to Randy, no matter what.

If Orton proceeds to run through guys like Mark Henry and The Great Khali, and Christian goes on to feud with, I don't know, Cody Rhodes or Wade Barrett, then yes, it was for nothing. That wouldn't make sense. However, this isn't even close to being over with. This could easily lead to a Christian heel turn, an Orton/Christian feud for the title, etc. If it goes the other way, with Christian being buried, I'm with you. But we don't really know anything yet. Why is this so hard for people to understand? It's quite simple.

Really? Huh. For some odd, crazy reason, I was under the impression that the fans did choose Orton. They cheered for him while he was a heel, and turned him into a face. The fans did this, not Vince.

Failed? Vince has picked John Cena, end of story. Again, I'm not saying it isn't the right move, but, Orton is certainly over enough to be a top guy, or the top guy (if Cena weren't around).

Not sure, never can be, but I'm guessing Orton is quite happy on Smackdown, due to no longer taking a backseat to Cena. I think that makes more sense than what you've proposed.

You're right, that's not why they did it. Actually, maybe it is. Point? We do not know yet. It's been less than two days since it happened, so no one, yourself included, knows what's happening.

What exactly did they invest in Orton? He rode shotgun to John Cena for the past year, even as Champion. On Raw, they invested nothing in him. He was given limited screen time, shit storylines, and garbage opponents (up until CM Punk). He didn't even headline his own title reign, despite insane fan reactions. Seriously, do you even know what you're getting at here?

17. The Perfect Max

The Perfect Max I Am Jericho

Thank the lord, someone agrees with me. I have been saying this for months. WWE are too spineless to take chances. Look, they said he can't carry a show or boost PPV numbers. But, wait, didn't you see the reaction of the people when Christian won the World Heavyweight Championship? They loved it. People have been nagging you, WWE, for years about Christian winning the top prize, yet, you don't do it. Surely, if people are nagging you to do something, doesn't that mean they want to see it? He is very, very popular and yet you think it will do nothing!

If the number 1 guy is supposed to be champion then John Cena would've held the title since 2005. Christian deserves it, Swagger deserves it, Ziggler deserves it, hell, Big Dick Johnson deserves it! Stop what you are doing WWE and instead of doing ridiculous things, do the things people want and you may just get a boost in PPV buys, more fans and get back to the position you were in 10 years ago (when I mean 10 years ago, I'm not saying TNA is any competition).

Christian = Champion
    Ziggler = Champion
    Swagger = Champion
    DiBiase = Champion
    Rhodes = Champion (And no, not Goldust)
    Ryder = Champion

These are a few of WWE's greatest young talent who people are dying to see have a chance and want to see them as WWE Champion or World Heavyweight Champion. Evan Bourne, people love him. Do something. Some people actually care about Mark Henry, do something. He's won two championships in 12 years. WTF?

Please Vince, do something different! Take a chance!

18. blkshp

blkshp Occasional Pre-Show

How long are people going to keep whining about Christian? Get over it! These are all story lines! Hate to borrow a line from Vince Russo, but the belts are props folks. They don't mean anything to you any more because they're not on the people you want them on. If they put the belt on Masters or Kidd, then all of a sudden they mean something again, right? Listen, for those people who are to "smart" to deal with WWE's PG kids entertainment, grow up, because it is PG kids entertainment, they're creating super heroes and super villains for the kids. I mean cmon whatre expecting at this point? Its like beating a dead horse at this point.

19. shattered dreams

shattered dreams Hexagonal Hedonist

I watched a few things in the wrestlemania season and I meant that as a compliment to the reaction he got, at least from live crowds. Although if that was all we judged talent by then Diesel is the most over person in the company.

:lmao: Do you really believe this is his first real opportunity? 8 prior championship reigns totaling around 450 days almost all with the WWE title. That is more than Shawn Michaels, the Rock or Kurt Angle got and Orton has done it in an era without much in the way of other stars in his way to hold the top spots. 2009-2010 Orton held the title about 30% of the available days.

You act like there can be only one person on a high level. That wasn't true through most of wrestling history, why is it now?

No, it is easy to understand but irrelevant. If they are going to feud why book Orton to win now and not a week earlier? If Orton is the obvious number 1 that must have the title why did WWE less than a week earlier determine that actually it was better to have Orton open the PPV and Christian win the title? Not enough changed. The emotion of the moment and the Edge stuff is still fresh.

No. This is one of the great myths wrestling fans like to tell themselves. Vince tells the fans what to think. He is great at jedi mind tricks.

Sure he can be a top guy but he isn't on that superstar level. Thus, there is nothing obvious about him needing to immediately be champ.

Orton being happy never makes sense. You really think he would be happy to lose to Christian on Smackdown? I highly doubt he would be happy to go to Smackdown not to be the Champion.

Like I said. People know what happened. It isn't about what happens going forward. If it is ok because Orton is the obvious number one why should they think anything other than Vince exploited the emotional allure of Christian and then threw it away once he got what he wanted?

You really think they never tried to make Orton a star? Especially over the last year? How much external help does the guy need to make it? That is basically what I am taking issue with. Plenty of the guys with "it" got over to a larger extent with substantially less company backing.

20. ABMorales787

ABMorales787 Lord And Master
    Staff Member Administrator

"But he's the top guy!" I think I got what I wanted. To expose some hypocrisy. Goody me. See, I painted the OP with all sorts of fancy gibberish to see who would misread and start saying this was just about Orton getting the title too fast. Orton got the belt on a whim. No story, no nothing. While Christian was built up. People love to claim WWE's decision's are intelligent no matter what and never stop to think if the reason's are far deeper than "because he's the top guy". You trying to tell me Sheamus, Jack Swagger and Brock Lesnar were top guys when they were champions? And if they got their chance, why couldn't guys like Dolph Ziggler and Christian? There is no business decision. It is a political one. Quit pretending this is about the ratings. Quit pretending this is about a smart business move. And quit pretending this is for the good of the company. Orton is #1? Great. John Cena has been #1 for ages. He just won back the title after a 10 month hiatus. Let me be a little clearer. You. Are. A. Hypocrite. Thank you.

Kenny Powers likes this.
  21. Hulk Hogan's Brother

Hulk Hogan's Brother Stop asking me what I'm gonna do!!!

It is obviously not always important for the top guy to be the World Champion but it is always a given that he will be featured prominently on the show. More often than not, the biggest story on a show is the story for the title. It happens about 85 percent of the time but obviously not always.

As for the deal with Christian I think that we should all wait at least till next week before we decide. If he is demoted down the card or suffers another loss to Orton under his rematch clause, then, by all means start bitching. If there is a feud between the two however, then please I'll have to see how the feud pans out before I start bitching.

22. Walker456

Walker456 Dark Match Winner

I cant see Christian getting demoted down the card any time soon. After the Draft Smackdown was left with hardly no main event talent. Which is a good thing because now they have to push people alot more , But that takes time Christian has proven to everyone that he can be in the main event. So i can see a Ortan , Christian Feud happenin here leading in to Over the Limit.

23. Da Truth

Da Truth Pre-Show Stalwart

I can understand putting the title on the biggest star on the brand because of the popularity or they are the guy; however, there wrestlers in the "E" who gets bigger pops than Cena or Orton, such as Santino so should he be the Champion. Punk recieves way mor he than Miz and is more believable as a heel, but he's not a champion right now.
    I don't think the issue of Orton holding the title is the problem because we knew it would eventually happen. It was the way it was done. They could have done a mini feud between Orton and Christian going into the next ppv or since the Henry and Khali came out they could have been part of the main event and Christain could have lost that way. We talking about the pg era and being example for the kids, what about hard work and diligence will help you achieve your goals(for more than a couple days, lol).
    This can be savaged though by having a couple months feud betweem the two. and Pleeeease Vince, will you guys stop it with the rko out of nowhere thing; it's getting very very old.

24. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

As a fan, I was very happy to see Christian become the World Heavyweight Champion. I was a little disappointed in seeing Orton take the title on SmackDown! but I think people are quickly jumping to conclusions about this. They're assuming that Christian is no longer going to be in the title picture, that he's not going to be WHC again without even waiting to see what happens on the next episode of SmackDown!. What happened on SD! could possibly be the beginning of an intriguing storyline for Christian so why not wait for some follow up on this before going on the war path?

I don't think the #1 guy has to be champ whether it's Orton or Cena. Both of these guys are so over and have accomplished so much that they no longer need to be World Champions to be solidified as top guys in the company. In the case of John Cena, I look for him to eventually begin feuding with Alberto Del Rio over the WWE Championship. Del Rio is already very over as a heel and I'm wondering if Vince thinks taht Del Rio feuding with Cena over the WWE Championship will make the feud more meaningful. It's possible as it's John Cena, the overall biggest star in wrestling right now, holding probably the overall most well known wrestling World Title at this point. When it comes to Randy Orton, there's at least some possibility that his match with Christian this past Friday on SD! is the beginning of an intriguing storyline for Christian. We ultimately won't know until SD! so I'm willing to wait and see if there's actually something to really be disappointed over before I start to rant about it.

wushady likes this.
  25. K-Mac

K-Mac Dark Match Winner

I have no problem with Orton becoming the Champ. I do, however, have a problem with how they did it. They could have at least given Christian a 3-week reign, and had him drop the belt to Orton at Over the Limit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.