007 Goldeneye -v - Okami

?

• Goldeneye

• Okami

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
GoldenEye007box.jpg

OkamiNTSCcoverFinal.jpg

Okami is a very under appreciated game. It offered a very different gameplay and story but it worked very well. It was a very fun and innovative game which was one of my favorites for a while. Unfortunately, it's going up against the king of FPS games. It revolutionized an entire genre and is considered by myself to be the best shooter of all time. As much as I love Okami and want Goldeneye to lose, I cannot vote for Okami over Goldeneye.

Whenever people bring up the "games as art" discussion, I am surprised that people don't bring up Okami enough. It is a legitimately beautiful game.

The art design is one of the most unique designs in gaming. The Japanese-style watercolour theme for the game makes everything look like a painting come to life. And the music is simply breathtaking. Every song captures the mood that's trying to be set perfectly.

In terms of gameplay, some have referred to this as a Zelda clone. And maybe deep in its core, it is, but really, is that a bad thing? The Zelda games are so beloved because they have a tried-and-true gameplay system. What's wrong with someone else giving it a shot? Plus, there's not as much focus on dungeon-crawling as there is in most Zelda games. You actually spend more of your time in the overworld than the dungeons.

The characters are all unique and well-developed. One I want to mention is a character that doesn't even impact the plot. Her name is Camellia, who travels through the world with her younger sister, Camille. Camille believes in the gods, but Camellia doesn't, and the more you interact with them, and the more you do for them, the more Camellia starts to believe. It speaks about both the character as she develops, and about the game itself, giving you the chance to change someone's perspective on life.

It also ties in with the story and its themes. As the goddess of the sun, reincarnated as a wolf, you have to travel through the lands and banish the darkness polluting it, while also restoring the people's faith in the gods. There's a rather heavy nature vs. technology theme, but also an interesting story about people learning to believe in the gods again, while also trying to not rely on them too much.

Okami is a game that deserves a lot more credit than it gets, and it deserves to win here.

Okami is a very under appreciated game. It offered a very different gameplay and story but it worked very well. It was a very fun and innovative game which was one of my favorites for a while. Unfortunately, it's going up against the king of FPS games. It revolutionized an entire genre and is considered by myself to be the best shooter of all time. As much as I love Okami and want Goldeneye to lose, I cannot vote for Okami over Goldeneye.

I totally agree with you here. Okami is possibly one of the most under appreciated games, maybe ever, in my opinion. But it's hard for me to vote against 007 Goldeneye. It will always be etched into my mind as one of the first FPS I ever enjoyed.

Not quite a tough choice. Goldeneye will win by a large margin. Okami was a good game that had beautiful artwork, one of the prettiest looking games ever made. It's up against Goldeneye unfortunately though, and I just can't vote for Okami this round. Goldeneye was THE multiplayer shooting game and every first person shooter that's around today can thank Goldeneye for being part of the reason they exist. It has my vote due to nostalgia and a high score in every single category of gaming.

Can you throw a hundred timed mines into a small area, hide in a vent and then watch as your enemy walks up to the mined area and is exploded into tiny bits in Okami?

No?

Then fuck that shit. Goldeneye all the way.

But no, seriously, Okami is a damn good game. But Goldeneye is a juggernaut of nostalgia and good times, one that almost everyone from our generation has extremely fond memories of. The odds of it being beaten this early are slim to none. Okami is a wonderful game, but when it comes to the FUN factor, which is the most important factor of a video game to me, Goldeneye blows it out of the water and it's not even close.

Okami is one of four games I would easily say is beautiful to me (Ico, Shadow of Collosus and Lost in Shadow the other three). That being said I think it was overshadowed by the release of another adventure game involving a wolf.

Goldeneye gets my vote here, but it's closer than you think. I love Goldeneye and used to play it all the time until I scratched the disk and could never play it again. Shame.

;)

Voted for Okami.. and it wasn't a sympathy vote.

Like I said in the last round, I really wished Okami would've came out at a time in which it could be appreciated by the masses a lot more. Visually, it is probably the prettiest game I've ever seen. Everything is so vivid and looks like it was drawn with such passion, it is just mind blowing to me. Especially considering that it was on a console in which everything was all broody and like 'blah' in the color scheme choices in actually good games. The story itself is filled with a lot of fun, which is odd and pleasantly surprising considering it is one of those 'literally save the world' stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back