WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-16-2010, 11:37 PM
HOGAN?!
ECW TV Champion

Nature Boy Ric Flariat is a United States Champion...Nature Boy Ric Flariat is a United States Champion...Nature Boy Ric Flariat is a United States Champion...Nature Boy Ric Flariat is a United States Champion...Nature Boy Ric Flariat is a United States Champion...Nature Boy Ric Flariat is a United States Champion...Nature Boy Ric Flariat is a United States Champion...Nature Boy Ric Flariat is a United States Champion...Nature Boy Ric Flariat is a United States Champion...Nature Boy Ric Flariat is a United States Champion...Nature Boy Ric Flariat is a United States Champion...
Default Bigger Waste of Talent?: Lex Luger or Kerry Von Erich?

What I mean by 'Waste of Talent' is wrestlers who didn't live up to their potential. Lex Luger was a member of the Four Horsemen as a young up and comer. Many promoters thought he was the next big thing in pro wrestling. He had the look of a champion. But what many didn't know is that Luger didn't have much more after that. He drew decent numbers during his heyday, but Luger wasn't the savior he was supposed to be. And for the most part, he ended up flopping when it mattered.

The same could be said for Kerry Von Erich. Despite a run with the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship, he had a lot of demons. He was undependable and at times, didn't have the drive to be the megastar many thought he would be. Kerry also benefited from having his dad be a promoter in his wrestling company, which is why he earned the cult status he did. But he had a motorcycle accident, lost his foot as a result, and his potential went from sky's the limit, to mid-carder at best. Then we all know what happened with Kerry. He committed suicide and many say his career was the biggest waste of talent in wrestling history.

I say Luger would be right up there with Kerry, simply because Luger wrestled for a long time, but wasn't worried about anyone or anything except himself, and not the company he worked for.

So who would you consider the biggest waste of talent? Kerry Von Erich or Lex Luger? And give reasons for your answers. NO spam.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Banned From Tire Commercials
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...

Oh Von Erich by FAR. Luger never actually had that thing known as talent. He barely ever had anything close to decent with anyone other than Flair or another great worker that could carry him. Luger had a look and that's about it. VOn Erich could actually work an ok match. His talent was wasted in a few ways. First of all his dad would never let him go anywhere. Second all the drugs messed him up to no end obviously. Even still, he had a great deal of success and likely would have had more had things gone right. Luger just never had anything that set him apart from everyone else which to me says lack of talent rather than untapped potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-17-2010, 12:42 AM

CaptainCrazy74 is looking to come up from OCW...

I honestly think the real title of this should be "Who was the Bigger Waste of TV Time" if you are going to include Lex Luger. I believe to be a waste was Lex Luger's only claim to fame. I never bought him as a wrestler and he wasn't entertaining at all. His five move repertoire made Hogan look like a man who knew a thousand holds. I believe he was famous for looking good(the Narcissist and why the Lex Express?) and that sucks. The talent that was wasted under him could not be matched by any other. Kerry Von Erich had more talent in his shoelaces than Lex. Kerry was the top superstar in WCCW in Texas at the time because he was the best they had shy of maybe his brother, Kevin. I think Terry's ability and potential was never realized, due to drugs no doubt but, also his Dad holding him back. I think Vince could have done more with him than he did also. I seem to think Vince is more of a talent waster than most are willing to admit. He wastes the talent not the wrestlers/superstars. To suggest Kerry was a waste of talent is not fair or just. So, I stick with Lex in this waste-off. Lex also took other talent with him if we consider his drug sales along with his lack of talent(hello Elizabeth ring any bells).
sendpm.gif
Old 01-17-2010, 12:45 AM

Shane101 is looking to come up from OCW...

Von Erich had a ton more talent... The guy much like Bret Hart was the most famous of a legendary family, The Von Erichs like Harts had more respect and value to their names, Von Erich had more respect and potential and in ring skill than Luger. Vince tried to make him the next Hogan however he was not as over as Vince wanted him to be. Even The Tornado was more over, he could even cut good promos, Luger was just horrible on the mic.

So my answer in a nutshell: Luger became stale too fast and did not have as much potential or natural talent as Kerry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrazy74 View Post
Lex also took other talent with him if we consider his drug sales along with his lack of talent(hello Elizabeth ring any bells).

True...From that moment on i became somewhat of a Lex hater. Bret Hart put it best "Miss Elizabeth like my mother was too good for this business."
sendpm.gif
Old 01-17-2010, 01:18 AM
Excellence of Execution
Undisputed WWE Champion

Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...

I find it amazing how so many people have the right answer, but for the wrong reasons. Kerry Von Erich WAS the bigger waste, but not because Luger didn't have talent.

See, apparently, I define "talent" different than the people in this thread. I define it as the ability to be a successful pro wrestler. How ANYONE can argue Luger wasn't a successful pro wrestler is beyond me, and thus, he was obviously talented. He was multi-time World Champion, multi-time World Tag Team champion, and a multi-time United States champion. He was mega over with the crowd, both as a good guy and a bad, and the pop he got when he racked Hogan in '97 was enormous. Trying to say the guy wasn't over, trying to say that Luger didn't make the most out of his tremendous talent is just absurd.

For Von Erich's part, I don't think he had as much talent as some of you give him credit for. In fact, all of the things that people seem to be criticizing Luger for, are FAR more applicable to Kerry Von Erich. Kerry was very much over because of who his father was, and how pretty he looked (oh how he made the women swoon). But really, what was so great about Kerry? In the end, he just wasn't that great of a worker, although he had just about everything working for him in the business to be so.

Kerry Von Erich was the bigger waste. Lex Luger made something out of his tremendous talent.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-17-2010, 01:21 AM
Jobber to the stars!!!

CynicSteve is looking to come up from OCW...

Oh for me this one is a no brainer. It has to be Kerry Von Erich.

When I was young I always watched WCCW wrestling replays on EPSN. For me the 80's/early 90's were all about two things in wrestling. The Four Horsemen and the Von Erich's. Kerry was the most popular of the Von Erich boys even though he didn't wrestle nearly as well as some of his brothers. The only reason I say this is both David and Kevin Von Erich could go into the ring and put on an absolute clinic on what a wrestling match should be. Kerry was the middle of the pack when it came to Fritz's kids in this respect, but Kerry was by far the best when it came to charisma and getting the fans behind him. Kerry had what it took to be incredibly popular in the 90's for Vince McMahon. It was the drug abuse and poor decisions that held him back.

All Luger had was his body which was not that much better than Kerry's. Luger couldn't wrestle or talk nearly as well as Kerry. I'd argue that Chris Von Erich could talk a better game than Lex Luger.

Kerry Von Erich was superior in every aspect to Luger. He was a huge waste of talent.

Many thanks to Theo Mays for this awesome sig!
sendpm.gif
Old 01-17-2010, 02:55 AM
Future Endeavored

gully side adidja is looking to come up from OCW...

easily kerry von erich, when he was the texas tornado he could have been great, beat perfect for the i.c title, then lost it and that was it, he could have been similar to warrior, and get a high push. As for luger, he got more than what he deserved, compared to tornado's one i.c title, luger got a rumble win 2 us titles, 2 wcw heavyweight titles, the face of wwe during 1993, and a memeber of nwo wolfpac, he did nothing impressive in the ring, he could hold fans interest for short period's not long ones, but von erich was over with fans more consistently, easily von erich.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:22 AM

Louie Music is looking to come up from OCW...

First off, let me thank you for starting this thread! I love to discuss anything Von Erich. I grew up in Texas, and any wrestling fan from Texas will tell you this still Von Erich country!

That being said...

I have to say Kerry was the bigger waste of talent. Not only because of how the WWF use to book him, but maybe even more so becauseof his personal demons.

If you go on YouTube and watch the match between Kerry and HBK, you'll see that even though the WWF was pushing HBK very hard and trying to get him over, it was Kerry who got the bigger pop. Especially when he took off his ring jacket. That right there shows you how much charisma he had.

I dont blame WWF at all for how Kerry was booked, etc. Do I think they dropped the ball with him? Yes, I certainly do. But, I'm also honest enough to admit his demons caused him many self inflicted problems with the company and his career as a whole.

Kerry had the look, he had the moves, and as someone who got to see him wrestle many times live (when i was a kid) I can tell you the guy knew how to work a croud when he was on his game. But then again, his brothers were great at that as well.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-17-2010, 05:40 AM

go2war313 is looking to come up from OCW...

LMAO how could u include Lex Luger in this BS thread ? Lex Luger was successful he held nwa, wwe, and wcw titles multiple times became a main eventer , did tv commercials , been on tv talk shows , and more so u know who had the weaker career in this thread
sendpm.gif
Old 01-17-2010, 11:01 AM

Louie Music is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go2war313 View Post
LMAO how could u include Lex Luger in this BS thread ? Lex Luger was successful he held nwa, wwe, and wcw titles multiple times became a main eventer , did tv commercials , been on tv talk shows , and more so u know who had the weaker career in this thread
Wait a minute, seriously, let me, and other people here, get this straight.

You list all of that above and that automatically makes Luger, who I totally respect by the way, the better wrestler? By the way, are you even reading this thread correctly?

So, in your way of thinking, that means that David Arquette and Vince Russo are better wrestlers than Mr. Perfect Curt Henning because he never held the WCW world title, but they did.

Right?

Absolutely NOT! Your statements and your list hold no water. If that's how you measure talent then that means there's alot of admired wrestlers from the past and present that have no right to hold the respect they have form the fans.

Oh, and a little FYI here, Kerry Von Erich DID do commercials, Kerry Von Erich was featured on some TV talk shows as well as radio talk shows, Kerry held the WWF IC title and Kerry Von Erich did hold the NWA title... as well as tag team titles, was a main eventer, etc. etc etc.

Do some home work, ok?
sendpm.gif