WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: The Rock's Best Feud
Triple H 12 16.44%
Mankind 9 12.33%
Steve Austin 45 61.64%
Hulk Hogan 2 2.74%
Chris Jericho 0 0%
Ken Shamrock 1 1.37%
Chris Benoit 0 0%
Booker T 0 0%
Faarooq 1 1.37%
Big Show 0 0%
Undertaker 0 0%
Kurt Angle 0 0%
Brock Lesnar 2 2.74%
Goldberg 0 0%
Other 1 1.37%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Global Moderator
X-Division Champion

The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...
Default His Best Feud: The Rock

Itís time for the fifth installment of my best feud thread. I got some good feedback on the last thread discussing Ric Flair. This time Iím going to discuss another huge name in wrestling history: The Rock. Having been a multi time world champion and headliner for years The Rock has feuded with a lot of big names. I counted 16 feuds that the Rock had during his time in WWE and as usual Iím going to list my top ten. I may have forgotten some, but in all likelihood if I forgot any they probably donít belong in the top ten. Hereís my list:

10. Big Show
9. Faarooq
8. Booker T
7. Chris Benoit
6. Ken Shamrock
5. Chris Jericho
4. Hulk Hogan
3. Steve Austin
2. Mankind
1. Triple H

I have to point out a few things before getting into my #1 choice. First off there are some pretty big names left off this list. The Rock also feuded with The Undertaker, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, and Goldberg among others. The list is not about popular guys or big names. I took into consideration where The Rock was in his career relative to his opponent during the feud. The Rock being a main event guy feuding over the title against Kurt Angle doesnít necessarily make his feud with Angle better than the feud with Shamrock. Thatís my opinion anyway. I donít expect everyone to agree, but reading other opinions is the whole point of the discussion.

I expect a lot of people will disagree with my choice to put Steve Austin at #3. Iíve heard this is one of the greatest feuds of all time and the feud that defined the attitude era. Iím not denying that it was a great feud. I think any of my top three could be rearranged in any order and be reasonable. I personally thought the feud with Mankind was a little like Ric Flair vs. Dusty Rhodes for a new generation. You canít get any more opposite than the Rock and Mankind. The fans wanted to be like the Rock, but the truth was most of them were like Mick Foley. Everyone really got behind Mankind during this feud. Mankind beating the Rock was like the nerd getting the best of the star quarterback in high school. Mankind winning his first world title from the Rock was magical. Then seeing the two hated rivals form an unlikely partnership made for some great television. This was very close to being my #1 choice.

The feud with Triple H is #1 for me. This is overall. Iím not separating the feud in 98 from the feud in 99 from the feud in 2000. Iím looking at the rivalry as a whole. The fact that the Rock had three separate feuds with Triple H in three separate years is why I decided to put Triple H at #1. It goes back even a little further. The Rock debuted at Survivor Series 1996. Triple H was on the opposing team. That wasnít of any real significance, but more of a fun fact. In February 1997 The Rock won his first title when he beat Triple H for the IC title. The feud really started in the spring of 98. This is when the feud between the NOD and DX started. The Rock and Triple H were the respective leaders of each group and it was one of the hottest feuds in 1998. The two had a time limit draw in a two out of three falls match at Fully Loaded. The feud culminated at SummerSlam with a memorable ladder match at Madison Square Garden where Triple H won the IC title. They resurrected their feud a year later with the roles reversed. This time The Rock was the popular hero while Triple H was the hated heel. This one climaxed with a strap match at Fully Loaded. With Steve Austin out of action for most of 2000 The Rock and Triple H were the undisputed top two stars in the company. The two feuded throughout much of 2000 exchanging the world title at three consecutive pay per views including a sixty minute iron man match.

These two feuded on and off for more than three years. They wrestled each other in all kinds of different matches. They both played the role of hero and villain at different points. They started their feud in the mid card over the IC title and worked their way to the main event together. They just seemed to be each otherís archrival. You could definitely make a similar case for Steve Austin. To me the feud with Triple H was more heated and more personal.

As I said I could see rearranging my top three in any order. Maybe you have an entirely different opinion. Iím looking forward to some feedback.
sendpm.gif
Old 10-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

avi01 is looking to come up from OCW...

plz don`t let this go to another "Did Rock sell out?" thread.

Rock is one of my favorite and have had some great feuds over the years. But his best rivalry remains Austin. 99-01-03 brought up some amazing Rock-Austin moments and all the matches delivered, specially WM X7. They just work well together, great chemistry all culminating with the victory at WM X9...perfect.

Second best rivalry is with HHH tho. During the feud over the intercontinental title, they a solid feud and they`ve actually help pushing each other in a way. And in 2000 with Austin/Taker out, WWE relied a lot on Rock/HHH and it worked for the most part.

Mankind is another solid feud which help to establish him as one of the top stars. Feud with Jericho was solid too.
sendpm.gif
Old 10-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Yeah, bitch! Magnets!
WWE Diva's Champion

TLC scored a win over Santino Marella...TLC scored a win over Santino Marella...TLC scored a win over Santino Marella...TLC scored a win over Santino Marella...TLC scored a win over Santino Marella...TLC scored a win over Santino Marella...TLC scored a win over Santino Marella...TLC scored a win over Santino Marella...TLC scored a win over Santino Marella...TLC scored a win over Santino Marella...TLC scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brain View Post

I expect a lot of people will disagree with my choice to put Steve Austin at #3. Iíve heard this is one of the greatest feuds of all time and the feud that defined the attitude era. Iím not denying that it was a great feud. I think any of my top three could be rearranged in any order and be reasonable. I personally thought the feud with Mankind was a little like Ric Flair vs. Dusty Rhodes for a new generation. You canít get any more opposite than the Rock and Mankind. The fans wanted to be like the Rock, but the truth was most of them were like Mick Foley. Everyone really got behind Mankind during this feud. Mankind beating the Rock was like the nerd getting the best of the star quarterback in high school. Mankind winning his first world title from the Rock was magical. Then seeing the two hated rivals form an unlikely partnership made for some great television. This was very close to being my #1 choice.

As I said I could see rearranging my top three in any order. Maybe you have an entirely different opinion. Iím looking forward to some feedback.

Gotta agree with you their Brain when i think of The Rock's fueds there the three that I immediatley think off. I voted for Steve Austin though as that rivalry just stands out in my head as one of the greatest fueds I have ever been part off. I would of put Mankind as second as the reasons youve previously stated, their matches were always fun and Manking winning was one of my favourite all time moments. Triple H was third for me simply because i dont think it was memorable as the previous 2.

Your list is good yeah, I like it, I also like the reason why you put them in there, not for star power but how good the fued was, I applaud you lol.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 PM
I know I can be cool if I try
TNA Champion

Lee is an Intercontinental Champion...Lee is an Intercontinental Champion...Lee is an Intercontinental Champion...Lee is an Intercontinental Champion...Lee is an Intercontinental Champion...Lee is an Intercontinental Champion...Lee is an Intercontinental Champion...Lee is an Intercontinental Champion...Lee is an Intercontinental Champion...Lee is an Intercontinental Champion...Lee is an Intercontinental Champion...

P-Mod note: This thread is about The Rocks best feud NOT whether he sold out or not. Keep it on topic or else you'll be infracted for spamming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
For the record, Lee is a diabolical genius.
sendpm.gif
Old 10-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Hogan Matters!
WWE Diva's Champion

goodlay is looking to come up from OCW...goodlay is looking to come up from OCW...goodlay is looking to come up from OCW...goodlay is looking to come up from OCW...goodlay is looking to come up from OCW...

I'd have to say his best feud was with Triple H. They just had amazing chemistry in-ring together and could work some of the greatest matches. The Iron Man match at Judgment Day and the match at Backlash 2000 were both matches I will never forget. The Austin/Rock was more of a confrontation than a feud in my opinion. I just say that because if my memory serves me right, these guys would just "feud" the month before Wrestlemania so they could head the main event together. I mean I have nothing wrong with that, because Austin/Rock were some of my favorite Wrestlemania matches, but it doesn't beat out the Triple H/Rock feud.
sendpm.gif
Old 10-18-2009, 06:03 PM
WWE Women's Champion

The Todd scored a win over Santino Marella...The Todd scored a win over Santino Marella...The Todd scored a win over Santino Marella...The Todd scored a win over Santino Marella...The Todd scored a win over Santino Marella...The Todd scored a win over Santino Marella...The Todd scored a win over Santino Marella...The Todd scored a win over Santino Marella...The Todd scored a win over Santino Marella...The Todd scored a win over Santino Marella...The Todd scored a win over Santino Marella...

His best feud was with Stone Cold Steve Austin. Really, it lasted for five years. It started off with Austin and the guy who wanted to be as big as Austin and ended with two of the all time greats.

The best part of the feud was WrestleMania X-Seven. The build was perfect. Two guys who respect each other which turns into two guys who will do anything to win the damn belt. The feel of that WrestleMania was just anticipation. The back stage segments that showed each of them arriving made it feel a genuine main even. People were there to see that match.

It delivered too.

Yes they had a largely forgettable match up at the British PPV in 2001, but who remembers any of those? Their three 'Mania matches were legendary. The two most popular guys of an era squaring off. It was brilliant.
sendpm.gif
Old 10-19-2009, 12:48 AM
...Only if you believe.
Knockout Champion

byrnside is looking to come up from OCW...byrnside is looking to come up from OCW...byrnside is looking to come up from OCW...byrnside is looking to come up from OCW...byrnside is looking to come up from OCW...byrnside is looking to come up from OCW...

Ah... Decisions, decisions. Brain, you bring up some great points. The I-Quit match with Foley, and the Ladder match with Triple H come up as two of my favorite matches of all time. But I think as far as feuds go, I have to go with The Rock and Stone Cold. That wasn't just the feud of The Rock's career, but it was the greatest feud of the entire Attitude Era if you ask me, and probably the best feud we've since, and certainly one of the best we saw before it. When you think of wrestling you generally think of three names. Hulk Hogan. Stone Cold Steve Austin. And the Rock. I think that's enough said right there, but alas, I'll go on. The feud that took not one, not two, but three Wrestlemania's to finish! One of the key moments of the Attitude Era that sticks out in my brain is when The Rock threw Stone Cold off that bridge and then the Rattle Snake belt and told them both to go to Hell. Classic. As far as I can remember that was the first time we saw anyone's life getting risked outside of the ring. Except for maybe when Pillman pulled the gun on Austin. And no one sold the Stunner better than the Rock.

I love to talk wrestling, day or night.
blog: BadNewsByrnside.Wordpress.com
twitter: @byrnside
sendpm.gif
Old 10-19-2009, 01:55 AM
Representing Seattle's Finest
WWE Diva's Champion

mister_b1LL is looking to come up from OCW...mister_b1LL is looking to come up from OCW...mister_b1LL is looking to come up from OCW...mister_b1LL is looking to come up from OCW...

Yeah, I still will go with Austin. Everytime Rock and Austin went at it it just had a big fight atmosphere. And when they had their final match at WMXIX emotions were high for me just seeing two of the best fight in my hometown.

But what I do think though, and people might get confused, is that Triple H is Rock's greatest enemy. Austin no matter what had the top spot in the WWE, but Rock and Triple H continuously fought each other to gain the #2 spot and they would stop at nothing to beat the other.

So Rock's best feud is with Austin because of the feel of their matches but Rock's best opponent is Triple H because of how much they would do to best each other.
sendpm.gif
Old 10-19-2009, 11:15 AM

CoolioCM is looking to come up from OCW...

My top 5...

5. Chris Benoit (I thought they had a great series of matches and this made Benoit look like he could be the champ. So for the ability to make his opponent as big as he has ever been or would become, this makes my list)

4. Mankind (Great fued, and probably one of my very favorites of the attitude era)

3. Triple H (I'm not even talking about their fued once they both became main players, but rather their fued for the IC title before either of them were main eventers. This fued was awesome and was a breathe of fresh air at that time. You knew these guys would become something special and of course, they did.)

2. Steve Austin (I loved this fued and it's probably the fued that defines the attitude era most. The promos, segments, and matches were alyways amazing with these two. They set a new standard for fued in wrestling)

1. Hulk Hogan/NWO (Even though this fued was somewhat short, it made the Rock what he is. We all knew the Rock was something special, but in that moment when him and Hogan met at WM, it made for what one of the most memorable moments in WM history. I believe this is what cemented the Rock as one of the greatest of all time, and that is why it's number one on my list)
sendpm.gif
Old 10-19-2009, 11:23 AM

oogieboogie is looking to come up from OCW...

Well for me it has to be the Austin feud hands down. This was around the time i started to watch WWE again, mainly cos i got Sky around that time.

I enjoyed it mainly cos of the promo's/segments which they did. They are very good chemistry. It was very entertaining more so then any other feud. It would go back and forth for years and in my opinion was never stale.

Oh yeah the matches they had were so incredibly enjoyable and you could never tell which way it would go.
sendpm.gif